U2 and corporate sponsorship - your opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BluberryPoptart said:
I'm afraid it's going to come to a time when the old holding out for principles and honor thing is going to finally give way to the need for the money, and everyone will do it. But then, if everyone does it there will be no stigma as they are all guilty.

But corporate sponsorship of a tour does not constitute a "need for money." Especially when it comes to this band. They have plenty of money.

U2Kitten said:
Sparkysgrrl! :wave: So good to see you! :hyper: :happy:
Yes, the moon is in the seventh house and jupiter has lined up, I'm on the internet for my 6 month check in :|
(nice to see you too, I was going to say hello in another thread I saw you in, but I wasn't sure you remembered who the heck I was :laugh: )

Bonochick said:
They can do whatever they want. I'll still like them and listen to their music. That wouldn't change.

What if they got hired by a dog selling company to write an album about how much they hate cats and liked killing them, would you still like them and listen to their music?

The things about the whole issue is that U2 has always prided themselves on not selling out commercially like other bands have, so why would they start now?

Being bound by sponsorship deals would limit U2 and prevent them being as outspoken as they have. That's what I have a problem with.

If it's for a charity cause that doesn't compromise their beliefs, that's fine. Here is Australia World Vision used ISHFWILF in their ads (I don't know if they did in any other country) and that's fine with me. But to see U2 plastered all over ads for say, McDonald's or Coke, would be a bit too much.

Come to think of it, there is a difference between them using their songs to promote products, and using their image as a band to promote products. So, it woudn't bother me as much if a U2 song was used in a Macca's ad as it would if their pictures were stuck up on Macca's restaurants, as in Madonna's Child's dream.

Chizip said:

What if they got hired by a dog selling company to write an album about how much they hate cats and liked killing them, would you still like them and listen to their music?

I didn't say I'd automatically like any new stuff. I'm talking about what they have already accomplished.

Chizip said:

Would it sound like ATYCLB? Then I'd probably hate it.:wink:

madonna's child said:
I'm not taking sides, I'm just enjoying reading the discussion, but I have to agree with bedouin fire. Sponsorship has not helped decrease Madonna's ticket sales. Her new tour is sponsored by the anti-Christs themselves, Clear Channel, but you still have to sell your first born to afford a ticket.

In the case of Madonna, I don't think she has accepted sponsorship of Clear Channel. CC is probably the promotor of the tour (i.e. in charge of booking venues, arranging travel, making the tour known to the general audience), which often allows them to get named on the tickets ('Clear Channel presents...'). Still, it's not sponsorship (as with for instance the Rolling Stones, who had a tour once sponsored by Volkswagen. They even had a Rolling Stones edition of their cars).

C ya!

Marty

P.S. As for donating songs to good causes, U2 has done this extensively. From donating whole songs to charity albums to letting Amnesty International use their songs in their campaigns (a couple of years ago there were these ads for the 40th anniversity of AI or something like that and the music was a live version of 40, how appropriate :))

Popmartijn said:

In the case of Madonna, I don't think she has accepted sponsorship of Clear Channel. CC is probably the promotor of the tour (i.e. in charge of booking venues, arranging travel, making the tour known to the general audience), which often allows them to get named on the tickets ('Clear Channel presents...'). Still, it's not sponsorship (as with for instance the Rolling Stones, who had a tour once sponsored by Volkswagen. They even had a Rolling Stones edition of their cars).

Oh my God, don't even get me started on Clear Channel...

http://www.salon.com/ent/clear_channel/

I hope U2 refrains from doing business with Clear Channel on their next tour. I think SFX promoted the Elevation tour; SFX is now part of Clear Channel.

The shitty part is that it's almost impossible to do a major tour without the help of Clear Channel. They control most arena's and are omnipresent. Plus, they have many radio stations (necessary for promotion). So you need to use Clear Channel. Or spend a disproportionate amount organising it yourself in remote places.
:|

C ya!

Marty

U2's music is theirs to do with as they see fit. However, let's consider the situation of one of my other favorite bands, the Who. Townshend is on record as saying, basically, "I don't care what the song means to you, it's mine and I'll sell it for a Nissan commercial if I want to." Fortunately, I've never attached a whole lot of emotion to the Who, even though I love their music. But, it bugs me to no end when I see a greatest hits CD in a store with "'Bargain', as featured in the Nissan commercial." ARGH!!!!

U2 is different. Their music evokes emotional response in their fans, and I think they're well aware of it. I don't think they're of the same mindset as Townshend - there's a bit more artistic integrity there, and I don't foresee them selling the rights to their music for just anything. Obviously, they've made exceptions, but I don't think that you'll ever see "Even Better than the Real Thing" in a Pepsi commercial, or "Where the Streets Have No Name" in a sports car commercial.

At least, I hope.

Loar said:
Townshend is on record as saying, basically, "I don't care what the song means to you, it's mine and I'll sell it for a Nissan commercial if I want to." Fortunately, I've never attached a whole lot of emotion to the Who, even though I love their music. But, it bugs me to no end when I see a greatest hits CD in a store with "'Bargain', as featured in the Nissan commercial." ARGH!!!!

Don't even fucking get me started on that. :mad: :mad:

Loar said:
Obviously, they've made exceptions, but I don't think that you'll ever see "Even Better than the Real Thing" in a Pepsi commercial, or "Where the Streets Have No Name" in a sports car commercial.

Richard Branson wanted to use EBTTRT for Virgin Cola, but U2 refused.

Back
Top Bottom