U2 and Christmas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reptile347

The Fly
Anyone know why U2 have only done 2 officially released Christmas songs (Baby please come home and Peace on Earth) in all these years?

Just curious since I would think being how big they are they would have released more.

Why the hell does everyone think "Peace On Earth" is a Christmas song?

Sorry thought it was. The lyrics say Christmas time towards the end.

SO if its not that means U2 only has 1 oficially released song. Wish they would make more and no not an album just some singles here and there.

Let us not forget when they performed Happy Xmas (War is Over) on some talk show during the R&H period.

I always thought Peace on Earth had a Xmas sound to it -- the bells-like guitar and the jingle bells. But then again, anything that has jingle bells on it sounds Christmasy.

U2utah2U said:
I always thought Peace on Earth had a Xmas sound to it -- the bells-like guitar and the jingle bells.
Don't forget the names of people killed in a bombing. As Yuletide as egg nog.

I don't think peace on earth is about Chirstmas although it can be played during the holiday season if it makes one feel christmasy

I think Peace On Earth was intended to have a Christmas element in the song. I think if someone was to ask Bono, he would confirm this.
It's not entirely about Christmas by any means, but there's a connection there IMO.

As for the fact that U2 haven't released too many Christmas tracks, I don't think they would see it as necessary. That's the kind of thing you'd do if you wanted to cash in on the festive season....they've really only been connected to this sort of thing for charity - ie: Band Aid and the "A Very Special Christmas" album.

Christmas songs are a bit of a waste.

You get to play them for a couple of weeks each year and they're usually just novelty value. Most Christmas songs wouldn't chart (or rate) for their musical value.

And don't forget the U2/Bono track "Driving to Midnight Mass on a Dublin Christmas Eve". It came on one of those early demo bootlegs released back in the 80s.

chocky said:

And don't forget the U2/Bono track "Driving to Midnight Mass on a Dublin Christmas Eve". It came on one of those early demo bootlegs released back in the 80s.

And even that wasn't a song.

Back
Top Bottom