U2 All Time Great Live Moments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawk269

Acrobat
I was just listening to some old bootlegs...so many incredible concert moments. Here is just a list off the top of my head. Feel free to add your favorites (there are thousands of these, really).

- PopMart Sarajevo (9-23-97): Bono loses his voice completely during the show and, during "Pride", asks the crowd of thousands to sing for him. What a moment. Also, Edge plays and sings his guts out to help Bono out. It's some fierce sh*t.

- Elevation New York, NY (6-17-01): During SBS at MSG, the crowd begins this incredible clap in sync, intensified by Bono's use of Bob Marley's "Get Up, Stand Up". I was there and if you listen to the bootleg, you will understand. It captures everything that is great about being at a U2 show.

- PopMart Rotterdam esp. Please & Streets 1997 (on the Please single): the lead-in to Streets jumps off the CD it is so powerful. Best performance on the tour (anyone have a better version that this??)

- PopMart Santiago - Mothers of the Disappeared. Enough said.

- Elevation New York, NY (10-24-01, 10-27-01): I was there - the loudest f'n shows EVER. Bar none. Don't even bother arguing. The proof: City of Blinding Lights is written about these incredible post-9/11 shows. The band was absolutely blown away by the strength of the crowd.

I know, we can basically pull out the Pimm Jal de la Parra book for this, but it is always great to reminisce.

another moment at the 6 17 01 show was when BONO was going nuts on his spoken word rap about john lennon during Bullet The Blue Sky...

PULL THE TRIGGER
ROCK N ROLL ******
BIGGER THAN JESUS ON A BUMPER STICKER

WHAT"S MY NAME MAN?
MARK CHAPMAN!

jesus, that has to be one of the coolest moments i have ever seen at a u2 show. simply amazing.

The top live moment would have to be the 26 December 1989, Dublin performance of One Tree Hill. The band are possessed - awesome solo from Edge, then an incredible impromptu verse by Bono.

Incidentally, regarding Popmart Sarajevo, Pride is one of the few tracks I don't play. Please, however, is out of this world, one of U2's greatest live moments. That show also has the only performance of One that I really like.

COBL_04 said:
All I Want Is You - Where the Streets Have No Name.

You know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, the snippet of AIWIY before Streets on 1989-10-08, Melbourne. :drool:

:wink:

Best moment ever to me (at least of what I've seen or heard) is Sunday Bloody Sunday from R&H video. So angry, so powerful, so beautiful, so true.... so U2! Best ever version of that song, best U2 moment I know....:drool:

I gotta agree with you on the Sarajevo show. Wish I had been there. I also with I had been there in New York post-9/11.

I woulda wanted to see the show when the lemon door stuck! Also the post-911 show would have been an emotional one. The other performance I think was pivotal for U2 was their live performance at the Super Bowl Halftime show when they unveiled the curtain of names of those killed in the 9-11 tragedy.

10-17-05 "People Get Ready"; Edge and Bruce guitar solo duet + the absolute BEST Bono falsetto "oooooh's" since Zoo T.V.

Here's some of my favourites, with links for those of you who don't have them:

Bullet The Blue Sky (16/11/93)
One of the angriest versions of Bullet ever. And I mean ever. The solo and the outro both fucking scare me, they're that good.

LINK - http://s60.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=0YMWPP9DCALID1FCFEFIXTEG3V

Mofo (3/12/97)
A personal favourite...the version found on the Hasta La Vista Baby! album.

LINK - http://s55.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=1U9AX4K6MVKYB3OKGPGDUO9YK3

One Tree Hill (26/12/89)
Axver pretty much nailed this one on the head.

LINK - http://s60.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=2SXZENUD6D3HZ0T57ZXRW0LBVO

God Part II (7/10/89)

This song rocks so much live. "EVERYBODY BELIEVES IN LOVE!"

LINK - http://s60.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=1EAHIVVIN88GQ3AAID6L0VQZMU

Exit (28/10/87)

Another one that's so good it's scary. Bono's voice was a little shot on this bootleg (okay, not just a "little" - listen to the version of Unforgettable Fire on it), but it makes this song seem even rawer than it is.

http://s60.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=1QG6J0VKU03OS0BSMZBLQFXMRU

12 U2 defining moments in timeline:

1- Electric Co: Belfast 23-01-1981. The best of early versions I´ve ever heard. The band never sounded so impressive
:drool: and Bono´s vocals were amazing, with a different flavour given to his young voice:yes:. The "Cry" part is arguably the best I´ve ever heard.

2- A Celebration: Hattem 14-05-1982. Simply extraordinary, even better than studio version :drool: A rare live song in such amazing rendition.

3- Sunday Bloody Sunday: Red Rocks 05-06-1983. No words needed...

4- Several songs: Loreley 20-08-1983: Half of Under A Blood Red Sky CD comes from this legendary performance :drool: Bono at his best early years voice

5- Several songs: Dortmund 21-11-1984. Definitive versions of Gloria, MLK, New Year´s Day and "40". Inhuman performance.

6- Bad: Live Aid 15-07-1985. U2´s finest live moment ever :shocked:

7- Several songs: Chicago 29-04-1987. Landmark "Rock´s Hottest Ticket" performance. Awesome renditions of ISHFWILF, WOWY, and many others. Best Joshua Tree concert IMO

8- Rotterdam 1990. The fourth nights were mind blowing. Bono at his best, as well the full band. Definitive versions of Desire, All I Want Is You, Running To Stand Still, Angel Of Harlem, etc. I Know Dublin 1989 gigs are far more popular (remember "Dream it all up again"...), but trust me, Rotterdam 1990 is simply better.

9- Dancing Queen: Stockholm 1992. One of the truly best Zoo TV concerts. Legendary performance of Dancing Queen with Abba members on stage. Extraordinary

10-Stay: Dublin 28-08-1993. Simply the best version ever of this wonderful song.

11- Bullet The Blue Sky: Sydney 1993. You know...

12- Mothers Of The Dissapeared: Santiago 11-02-1998. Best Pop Mart Concert, and arguably best closer song of the whole tour. Loos for words, simply one of the most poingnant moment in U2´s live history :heart:

Someone post the Gone from 9/23/97 in Sarajevo.

The bridge note, "I'll be UUUUPPPPP with the sun", is savage and probably why he lost his voice.

It's brilliant.

MrBrau1 said:
Someone post the Gone from 9/23/97 in Sarajevo.

The bridge note, "I'll be UUUUPPPPP with the sun", is savage and probably why he lost his voice.

It's brilliant.

http://s62.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=1B7HN2PZBAG961OU57I92HUA51

:yes: :up:

Hawk269 said:

- PopMart Rotterdam esp. Please & Streets 1997 (on the Please single): the lead-in to Streets jumps off the CD it is so powerful. Best performance on the tour (anyone have a better version that this??)

at the very very end of Streets, Bono give this AMAZING falsetto-yelp that's just awesome! i didn't know Pop Bono could do that! it's amazing :drool:

GibsonGirl said:
Mofo (3/12/97)
A personal favourite...the version found on the Hasta La Vista Baby! album.

This link takes me to HMTMKMKM. Which song did you mean to post?

Mister Nice said:

This link takes me to HMTMKMKM. Which song did you mean to post?

Mofo! I must have clicked something wrong. This should work:

http://s34.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=2QWW8AC7GCCT23IXSZZ6DUHWCK

can anyone upload the Dortmund and Rotterdam songs mentioned please? :wink:

Mysterious Ways.
I wasn't crazy about this song tilll I heard this version. ZooTV Dublin

http://s9.y ousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1QOKH6UCP1Z5U0BAR5TNCTXK5N

Love Is Blindness. Close your eyes, turn off the lights.. shivers.
ZooTV Sydney

http://s9.y ousendit.com/d.aspx?id=18TWHUVSR9CJB2HSK6DPL6J3U2

Axver said:
The top live moment would have to be the 26 December 1989, Dublin performance of One Tree Hill. The band are possessed - awesome solo from Edge, then an incredible impromptu verse by Bono.

For my money, I would argue that this was one of the best live performances by any band EVER. It just blows your mind.

forty said:

For my money, I would argue that this was one of the best live performances by any band EVER. It just blows your mind.

jeeez i remember reading about Ax raving about this performance months ago. I started downloading on U2torrents recently, and this show was up. Waited nearly a week til it finished, but wow...was it worth it? YES YES OH YEAAHHHH.

the performance of Streets on ZooTV Dublin was great too..."take me." from Bono in the intro...that was awesomeeee...personally one of my fave performances of Streets ever

forty said:

I know not a single performance by anyone that can top it. I think it's the best five minutes of music going around, that's how much I love it.

Oh, what about the whole Red rocks and also Lorelei in my opinion? And i was in Sarajevo.But for me ZOOtv Verona was more impressive to tell the truth although it was moving naturally

For me popmart rotterdam please is absolutely the favourite. I bought the single, and I lost it! Think i gave it someone to ciopy and never got it back...Does anyone here at the forum have the mp3?? I really want it. Would be great if someone can email me.

pascal_hommelberg@yahoo.com

THANK YOU !

Back
Top Bottom