U2 Album drops to No. 2 on the charts= Another IPOD commercial?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
HTDAAB dropped to number 2 on the top selling album charts in the United States with a huge 67% drop. The third week might see another huge drop for HTDAAB considering the much anticipated Lindsay Lohan album and a whole slew of rap albums (usually rap albums open big their first week) will be released on week 3. Hmmmm.... out of the top 10 already?

Considering I never ever see Vertigo being played on any of the VH1/ MTV channels as much as I see Green Day, Yellowcard, etc. (even on the extra MTV/ VH1 stations), could another IPOD commercial be in the offing? We know how relatively successful the Vertigo commercial was and how it helped boost album sales to record levels.

Anyone up for another go of U2 IPOD commercials? How about another IPOD commercial with the words- "All Because of You by U2" at the end of it. For some reason I look foward to it.

The Vertigo video was played almost on the hour on VH1 for quite awhile. It's also the number one video this week.

Flying FuManchu said:

Hwo about seeing U2 do another IPOD commercial with the next single?

More claims of sellout. More exposure at a time where people are saying too much U2 already. I'm scared of the backlash another iPod commercial may cause.

AquariumDrinker said:

More claims of sellout. More exposure at a time where people are saying too much U2 already. I'm scared of the backlash another iPod commercial may cause.

I love the backlash. You get to tell people it's not 1985 anymore.

The reality was while the sales drop was a big one, the album is outselling what ATYCLB at this same point by a very wide margin this is nothing to panic about.

I would love for them to do a commercial about their 25 years of existence. It could be a montage of videos, concerts, and other footage for the past 25 years. C'mion, don't you guys want to see Adam with the blond fro? I think America would love to see Adam when he was like that.:)

Please, not another iPod commercial! It will just make them look desperate.

I wish people would just be happy with U2 getting to be No. 1 for a week. I hate this obssession with having to the No. 1 all the friggin' time. It has nothing to do with relevance or the quality of music. Lots of amazing artists never make it to the top of the charts at all. U2 should be counting their blessings.

i bet once the tour announcement is made and people are in a panic to buy tickets in the coming months, album sales may increase.....i can't see them doing another IPOD commercial and NOT get paid for it. i think it's important for them not to do it, and i'm sure they realize that.

what also wasn't said is that the #1 record this week (the Jay-Z/Linkin Park thing) sold 368,000 to HTDAAB's 288,000 units which is not horrible. Was anyone really expecting to another 800,000+ week?

I can't believe I have ever been called negative before. I am a fluffy bunny compared to some people :lmao:

They've sold more than a million in two weeks. What are people complaining about?!

Sales are likely to go up with Christmas approaching. I imagine this week at 288,000 will be the slowest until past the 25th.

I'm sure that I'd survive if the band did decide to go in that direction...but I wouldn't LIKE it, you know? It has no bearing on the music for me, but I guess I'd just be sort of leery about ANOTHER on-TV promotion by U2 not just for U2....also for iPod/iTunes. Does that make sense? U2 commercials don't bug me...U2 selling themselves AND something else just sort of unnerves me. Again, I'll still dig on the music and the band...but I won't like it.

POP dropped off the billboard charts fast because from the get go it was being hailed as crap by critics and fans in the USA. POP did just fine everyplace else in the world...still ended up selling 7 million copies 1 million of that from the USA...who would rather listen to babbling rappers that have nothing to say or guitar that is bad enough to give you a headache. I would love to see U2 sell 7 or 8 million in the US with an album again I just dont think its going to happen, no matter how much promotion they do for a variety of reasons, mainly because of their age.

Yahweh said:
POP dropped off the billboard charts fast because from the get go it was being hailed as crap by critics and fans in the USA. POP did just fine everyplace else in the world...still ended up selling 7 million copies 1 million of that from the USA...who would rather listen to babbling rappers that have nothing to say or guitar that is bad enough to give you a headache. I would love to see U2 sell 7 or 8 million in the US with an album again I just dont think its going to happen, no matter how much promotion they do for a variety of reasons, mainly because of their age.

Time Magazine, Rolling Stone, Spin Magazine, etc... are US publications and that hailed POP. I believe a lot of US publications gave POP sterling reviews when the album was first released, so the hailed as crap thing is IMO off. As for the fans... outside of CD sales, I never got the notions that the fans hailed it as crap.

:lol:

FlyingFu is it just me or do your posts in this thread smell strongly of intense sarcasm? :wink:

Of course U2 should do another commercial, naked except for g-strings, with their bodies painted as giant coca cola cans, and driving around in Ford's. Am I on the right track?

Flying FuManchu said:

Time Magazine, Rolling Stone, Spin Magazine, etc... are US publications and that hailed POP. I believe a lot of US publications gave POP sterling reviews when the album was first released, so the hailed as crap thing is IMO off. As for the fans... outside of CD sales, I never got the notions that the fans hailed it as crap.

You're right - the critics did give good reviews. There's always the naysayers, but overall reviews were quite good.

However, critics only go so far. If critics really meant that much, a lot of summer blockbusters would flop horribly - but the public sees them because that's the entertainment they are seeking.

The same happened with "Pop". Critics gave it good reviews and the early demand for new U2 gave "Discotheque" a huge push - enough to have it debut at #10 once the CD single was released in the U.S. (back then, to chart on the Hot 100, a CD single release was needed - not true now).

However, that's when the backlash began. People did NOT like "Discotheque". I had people personally coming up to me saying how much they hated that song - as if *I* had anything to do with it. I heard radio stations in Boston didn't want to play the song any more as they received complaints whenever they did. For whatever reason, despite the song becoming a Top 10 hit, people didn't like it. Not sure if it was the video, or if people interpreted Bono's lyrics as nothing more than fluff, or if people went "now U2 has gone too far" or any other reason - but this is what killed "Pop".

"Staring at the Sun" gave "Pop" some stability for about a 4-6 weeks, but as soon as "Staring..." started to drop on the charts, so did "Pop", and it could never recover. The release of "Last Night on Earth" did absolutely nothing for "Pop". The tour did nothing for "Pop".

"Pop" sold 1.5M copies in the U.S. HTDAAB has already sold 1.12M copies - in just 13 days. If HTDAAB follows the pattern set by ATYCLB, it'll see another drop in sales this week - but perhaps enough to keep it in the Top 10. Then, it should see sales increases the next two weeks due to Christmas. It'll drop again after Christmas, but still see strong sales due to people spending any holiday gifts (like Best Buy cards) or $$. Plus, kids will be out of school that week, causing a push in sales.

In other words, no new iPod commercial is needed now. ;) However, if U2 want to make sure that the album stays strong on the charts until the tour starts, they need ABoY to get lots of radio play. And they might need to do some sort of promotional push (appearing on Letterman or Leno, for example) to keep the album going strong. If ABoY is a hit, it'll keep the album going strong until the tour starts. Then, just as the tour starts (or right before), U2 need to release a powerful third single. "One" was released at that time in 1992, following "Mysterious Ways". I recommend the release of "Sometimes..." at that point. A nice powerful slow song like that could really give the album a boost, again provided its heard on the radio. That's key - U2 needs to ensure they get airtime in some manner.

But I have to agree with others - another iPod commercial, at least at this point, might reek of desperation and sell-out (despite hearing Kravitz sell his songs to the Gap or ABC or seeing countless stars promoting all sorts of stuff on TV). It may be a curse, but because U2 is held to such a high standard, any type of promotion they do - even if it's music related, like the iPod (which is a fantastic idea!) - is considered a "sell out". For any other artist, no one would care.

I think ABOY is a bad choice for the second single and it will get about as much MTV and radio play as Electrical Storm (which means zero).

Cheers,

J

jick, I agree, ABOY isn't my pick for 2nd single. But I do think it will get a certain amount of airtime, after all it is short, lively and U2. But one of the weaker tracks imo.

I strongly disagree with both of you. ABoY is easily the most radio-friendly song on the album. It might not be your favorite song by a long shot, but you have to think in terms of masses. So many people here want MD as a single and I see that having near zero potential on the charts.

P.S. MTV and VH-1 matter little these days as they rarely show videos, unless you happen to be on TRL.

Doctorwho, tell me why ABOY is the most radio friendly? Surely a song needs to have a chorus to be radio friendly, or a witty, catcht lyric, or a fresh, new sound, or a certain groove. I appreciate your idea that 'my favourite' doesn't = radio friendly, but I don't figure how Aboy does.:scratch:

Agree about Miracle Drug though.

Back
Top Bottom