U2 album comparisons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueyedpoet

Refugee
Okay, i just have to do this....
Joshua Tree vs Achtung Baby
1. Streets vs. Zoo Station
- Streets....but both serve their respective albums well in setting the mood. It's just Streets live is the closest to heaven that I'll ever be on earth.
2. WOWY vs EBTTRT
WOWY is sometimes my favorite U2 song -thus my favorite song. I can only sometimes really get into the groove of the real thing.
3. ISHFWILF vs One
Oh, come on. I'm supposed to be able to decide. Actually, both album versions fail to provide the true depths of the respective songs. I think i'll have to go with One, but this isn't easy.
4. Bullet vs UTEOTW
Until wins hands downs here. Don't get me wrong, Bullet is fantastic live - especially edge's solo - but the album version is so chunky and it sounds dated. Edge's guitar work is amazing on UTEOTW - so fresh and original. Bono's lyrics take on new dimensions on the latter track as well.
5. RTSS vs WGRYWH
Wild Horses is one of my favorite U2 songs, so it would seem that this would be an easy choice. It isn't so easy as RTSS is such a great lyric and simple melody. But, Wild Horses has so much going on for me.
6. Red Hill vs So Cruel
Red Hill is one of U2's most under-valued song. But so is So Cruel. Overall, i think i just feel So Cruel more. It's some of Bono's best lyrical writings.
7. God's Country vs. The Fly
Both feature such great guitar work and both provide such great landscape and theme for their albums. This has to be a tie.
8. Trip vs Mysterious Ways
Oh man, another one that is so very difficult. Why can't they all just be like Streets vs Zoo Station. Granted that Trip sounds kinda thrown together, I really love that it has that quality. Bono's screams and yelps are so cool. Nevertheless, Adam's bass line has to be the deciding factor.
9. One tree hill vs. TTTYRARTW
I'm going to be assailed with complaints...if anyone reads this....but Tryin' is one of the coolest tracks U2 has ever done. Edge's guitar is so understated but so beautiful. And, I find One Tree Hill's lyrics to be a bit suspect, whereas Tryin's are so perfect at describing the morning after.
10. Exit vs. UV
against most songs Exit would easily win. Nevertheless, UV is another beyond brilliant U2 song. It's another song that could easily be my favorite song.
11. Mothers vs Love is Blindness
I know, I know, i skipped Acrobat, but I figured it'd be best to compare closing song to closing song. It is true that Mothers has a bloody great melody and out of this world kind of drum beat, I cannot deny the sheer power of Love is Blindness.

Totals
JT - 2
AB - 9

This looks as if I don't really like JT...I do. It's one of the greatest albums ever. But, even if i were to say that Still Haven't Found is better than One, AB is still a stronger album to me.

Brilliant post, well informed arguments.. I posted So Cruel and End of the World as my 2 faves off achtung in an earlier thread, and was thinking (as you were) everyone underrates So Cruel..."Her skin is pale like God's only dove..." the few verses following that are absolute genius...

The head to head comparison is interesting, but can be misleading...For instance...

1.) Streets is so far above Zoo Station JT should get a double score there haha...
2.)WOWY vs. Even Better is another double point blowout...
3.)Looking For vs. One... neither album cut scratches the surface as you said, I like your assessment there... One is better in a studio matchup, but live I think Looking For is better. They've mixed in a ton of variables, all of them seeming to deepen the meaning.. another point for JT... With my system its currently 5-0..
4.) 5.) and 6) all go to Achtung just as you have it... Now 5-3... JT
7.) Edge steps out of his comfort zone and lays down that cool, heavy guitar line in The Fly... But, I think Bono's changeup in tone doesn't work quite as well (although it is perfect for his mood during that period). In Gods Country is pure U2 adrenaline...That version they break off at McNicholl Arena is explosive. Larry, Adam, and Edge are just absolutely firing. Good thing they left that one off Rattle and Hum, WTF?? Anyway, JT here... 6-3 JT
8.) Used to love Mysterious Ways but it's so commercial I tired of it quickly. Wires I was never a big fan of either, 2 of the lightweights here, I say tie... 6-3 JT
9.) Really interesting here. Again, I agree with you about Throw Your Arms being very underrated. Smooth flowing lyric, and such a unique sound for them, and the whole rap inspired theme at the end is totally cool. One Tree Hill is one of my top 5 though, I think. Not sure if I agree with you about the writing here, although I need to listen while reading the words more often. Lyrics can be a deal breaker in these close matchups. I take JT again here.. 7-3 JT now...
10. Exit is so heavy, feels like White Album Lennon type stuff, UV is also very dark and moody (like most of acthung), but more melodical, and I think lyrically it's at a higher level. Even though I've read the words to UV recently and Exit's I haven't for at least 10 years. In any case, slight edge to UV... 7-4 JT
11. Both have that deep haunting sound, yet another close one. Tremendous flowing melody in Mothers, but the message in Love Is Blindness is too strong, lyrically its top echelon.. AB wins the closer matchup...Just reviewing these tracks now off the top of my head I'm thinking AB, at least lyrically, rivals ANY album of the last 30 years.

With the blowout scoring rules in effect JT wins 7-5. Without it I guess I would have it at 5-5 (there was 1 tie). This is ommitting Acrobat of course which is another multilayered lyrical masterpiece.

I think JT is slightly better on the whole.. In '87 I was a sophmore in highschool and attended the first rock concert of my life in Worcester, MASS. From the moment I heard the opening grooves of Where The Streets Have No Name I guess I was hooked for life.

This is in comparison with blueyepoet, not sure if someone posted in between. This took forever. Was fun though, nice post man, I'm in Cali too, where is Quartz Hill?

I expect more people on this board to put Achtung Baby ahead of The Joshua Tree, but I will never succumb to the Dark Side. We all know what the better album is! :wink:

I just look at it as how many of the songs on each album I like, and how many I wouldn't miss if they disappeared...

The Joshua Tree:
Songs I like/love- Streets, With or Without You, Still Haven't Found, One Tree Hill, Exit, In God's Country, Bullet, Running to Stand Still, Red Hill
Songs I could live without- Trip, Mothers

Final Ratio: 9:2, 82%

Achtung Baby:
Songs I like/love- Zoo Station, The Fly, One, Mysterious Ways, Wild Horses, Until the End, Even Better, Acrobat
Songs I could live Without- So Cruel, love is blindness, Ultraviolet, Tryin to Throw

Final Ratio: 8:4, 67%

Bonus Round:
80's Bono Voice- :drool:
90's Bono Voice- :up:

Verdict: THE JOSHUA TREE=Outstanding!

I think my fellow interferences can see now that this study definitively states that... in the end it's all a matter of preference and that Achtung Baby and even Pop will always kick the crap out of The Joshua Tree in this forum, but lose in real life. :wink:

-runs before the stones are thrown-

catlhere said:

Songs I could live Without- So Cruel, love is blindness, Ultraviolet, Tryin to Throw

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

catlhere said:

I think my fellow interferences can see now that this study definitively states that... in the end it's all a matter of preference and that Achtung Baby and even Pop will always kick the crap out of The Joshua Tree in this forum, but lose in real life. :wink:

Yeah you better run!

:madwife:

:wink:

why were With or Without You and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For switched around?

gareth brown said:
why were With or Without You and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For switched around?
oh crap, i like to switch those songs when i listen to it.
with the original running order it becomes impossible with me to decide between One and WOWY. I also forgot I had a tie between the fly and god's country...so all things considered i suppose my score is something more like:
JT - 3 (I agree that streets deserves extra points)
AB - 7
But, this is of course omitting Acrobat. That song is a intregal part of AB's trilogy. So, i'm going to have to give AB 8 points again.
Now, using the other approach
JT
Songs I like/love: Streets, Haven't Found, WOWY, Running, Red, God's Country, Trip, Exit, Mothers
Songs i can live without: Bullet - but on the album only
AB
Songs i like/love: all but EBTTRT - i simply prefer to live in a world with it, but i could live without it
This is kind of an unfair approach because AB has one more song. Both albums have a track that i could live without. Ultimately, AB's dark and pensive mood appeal to my tastes more.
Oh, and Quartz Hill is near lancaster/palmdale...i didn't make enough money this summer to live near my university, so i'm commuting to UCLA

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Yeah you better run!

:madwife:

:wink:

I knew someone would be shocked at my throw away songs for AB. It's sacrilege, I know. :huh: I can't push myself to like those songs though, no matter how much I try. It's the same with Miss Sarajevo. Everyone around here seems to love that song, but I skip it every time. I guess I just dont like many slow/moody U2 songs. :shrug:

catlhere said:
Bonus Round:
80's Bono Voice- :drool:
90's Bono Voice- :up:

Interesting viewpoint there, I would have to listen to the 2 albums back to back to agree with you on that. If their is a discernable difference it's probably only a slight one...

Returning to the debate for a moment...

Joshua Tree is such a beautiful compilation. Something one should treasure, like a rare piece of artwork.

Achtung Baby, on the other hand, is loaded with attidude. It is their most complex and introspective collaboration. Their White Album, if you will. They have truly opened up their souls on this one...

After comparing the LPs last night I had a chance to briefly listen to AB today. The sheer force of the final three tracks was overpowering. It had rarely struck me in that manner before, but this time I listened more acutely to the lyrics. The intensity level of the final progression into Love Is Blindness is unparalleled...

The lyrical depths of Achtung go far beyond those of the Joshua Tree. If this were the only criteria AB would win easily...

However, I still have to give a slight edge to JT. As strong as the finale is on Achtung, The opening sequence of Joshua Tree is the true essence of U2...

Streets Have No Name, Still Haven't Found, and With or Without You will define this band beyond any of our lifetimes...

catlhere said:

Amen!

I absolutely agree with your list of achtung baby throw away songs too. Never been a fan of so cruel, tttyaatw, Ultraviolet or love is blindness.

this is goin to sound amazing but im really not a fan of the over-rated piece of work that is one. Where does it go? as a piece of music it starts off at place 'a' moves to 'b' in the 'we're one but were not the same love is a tempest' section then goes back to A. its just not special really.

SO lets go 4 a little comparitive essay.

1) Streets Vs. Zoo Station
Verdict: Streets that is obvious. The station is great with its undertones about the German U-BAHN but streets is streets.

2: ISHFWILF Vs. EBTTRT
Verdict: I've found what i'm looking for

3: WOWY Vs. One
Verdict: WOWY for reasons expalined above. i think we're one in being U2 fans, but not the same

4: Bullet Vs. UTEOTW
Verdict: Achtungs first point. A good song both of which EXPLODE live. just always prefered until the end on the album though. If we were voting on live though i would give bullet the marks for the rock n roll ****** version form elveration

5:RTSS Vs. WGRYWH
Verdict: Both fantastic songs. Got to SLIGHTLY favour who's gunna ride because of the memories it has for me. Its tempting to tie this but no . Achtungs 2nd point

6: Red Hill vs So Cruel

Verdict: Red Hill Is THE underrated U2 song. it is as overrated as One is overrated. So it's got to get the point.

JT4 : 2 ACHTUNG

7. God's Country vs. The Fly
Great songs both but the fly is my 4th favorite U2 song of all ( Stay, bad and streets the top 3) so thats a point to the ego.

8:Trip vs Mysterious Ways
As someone else sent the albums weak points. Tough but this is a really cruel one? Going to go with MW ( i changed that 3 timse)

9: 9. One tree hill vs. TTTYRARTW

TTTYAATW is my 2nd favorite achtung song after the fly, it is just beautiful. Guess the mark

For the first time Achtung has now taken a lead at 4:5

10. Exit vs. UV
Verdict: Near the end, Light my way

11. Mothers vs Love is Blindness
Tough but got to be blindness

Final Score
JT 4 7 AB

-Honary Bonus Mentions'
Best Live Song of the albusm: Streets
Best Vocal Era: the 90'S
Most improved song from album to live: Running to Stand Still (JT)

Final Score with Bonus Points
JT 6 : 8 Ab

1. Zoo Station Vs Streets

This is so hard. Sorry, but it's Zoo Station for me. it's in my top 5 ever by U2. it's so different, so funky, i just love it. Streets is a live monster, it's amazing but ZS just about wins it.

2. ISHFWILF Vs EBTTRT

I love the real thing but 'still haven't found...' just about takes this one. love the ringing guitar in it.

3. WOWY Vs One

No contest. WOWY is arguably their greatest ever song.

4. Bullet Vs UTEOTW

I love Bullet but uteotw just about takes this one. i especially love the lyrics and the delivery of them in this. and of course the riff!

5. RTSS Vs WGRYWH

They're both great but RTSS takes this. a beautiful song.

6. Red Hill Mining Town Vs So Cruel

Two VERY underrated songs but i think Red Hill is the winner here. Bono's voice on this is:drool:

7. In Gods Country Vs The Fly

No contest. The Fly is one of their greatest ever songs.

8. Trip Vs Mysterious Ways

MW wins this easily. funky and a great chorus.

9. One Tree Hill Vs TTTYAATW

I love tryin'... it's so laid back but OTH wins this because of the passion and the build up then the climax. great song.

10. Exit Vs Ultraviolet

if this was based on live performances the Exit would easily win. But it's not. So UV wins.

11. MOTD Vs LIB

It's a close call. LIB takes it, but only just. i think MOTD is very underrated.

AB wins 6-5. close call. U2's 2 finest albums head to head is never easy but AB is just :drool:

(sorry about no Acrobat but i had to leave one of them out or else it wouldn't have been fair)

Miricale_Drug said:
this is goin to sound amazing but im really not a fan of the over-rated piece of work that is one. Where does it go? as a piece of music it starts off at place 'a' moves to 'b' in the 'we're one but were not the same love is a tempest' section then goes back to A. its just not special really.

Yes I can see where you are coming from. One can seem kind of bland when you listen to the album version. I think as a lot of U2 songs go, it really comes alive...well... live! lol. It's a great song in my opinion because it has so many messages you could take from it. I kinda think the lyrics are pretty good to. I think the reason I love it is because of the very end of the song when Bono hit's that note. It's just a really goosebumpy moment for me. But on the other hand, music is all relative. Some people don't think One deserves alot of praise, and some do. That's what makes U2 the best band in the world! They have such an amazing song list, you're bound to like something! :wink:

Viva U2! :rockon:

Achtung Baby vs *PoP*

Zoo Station vs Discotheque - Discotheque
Even Better Than the Real Thing vs Do You Feel Loved - Do You Feel Loved
One vs Mofo - (NOT FAIR!) One
Until the End of the World vs If God Will Send His Angels - Until the End of the World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses vs Staring at the Sun - Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
So Cruel vs Last Night on Earth - Last Night on Earth
The Fly vs Gone - The Fly
Mysterious Ways vs Miami - Mysterious Ways
Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World vs The Playboy Mansion - The Playboy Mansion
Ultra Violet (Light My Way) vs If You Wear That Velvet Dress - Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
Acrobat vs Please - Please
Love is Blindness vs Wake Up Dead Man - Love is Blindness

Achtung Baby - 7
*PoP* - 5

ok a very quick one of Achtung Vs. Pop - a lot of the achtung opinions will be the same as the ones listed earlier in this thread for my JT Vs. Ab

Zoo Station vs Discotheque - Discotheque

BoomCHa! a rocking start to an album. Also a catchy song this one is close

Even Better Than the Real Thing vs Do You Feel Loved - Do You Feel Loved

Nor a fan of either realyl but do you feel loved just wins it 0:2

One vs Mofo - Mofo

I made an attack on one earlier. so the outcome is hardly surprising. 0:3

Until the End of the World vs If God Will Send His Angels - Until the End of the World

An all time classic. ... which is such a 'me' song - very my style of rock
3:1
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses vs Staring at the Sun - Horses

Too close.. I love both... but in the end went WILD HORSE bceause i think im bein influenced by accoustic staring at teh sun
2:3 - achtung revival?

So Cruel vs Last Night on Earth - Last Night on Earth

I just love this song - no idea why. Its infectious: 2:4

The Fly vs Gone - The Fly

The fly is in my top 5 all time songs. though i once played around and segueed these two songs into each other and it was AMAZING. can i have both? no? ok - FLY
3:4

Mysterious Ways vs Miami - Mysterious Ways

Never been a fan of miami
4:4

Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World vs The Playboy Mansion - Tryin to throw your arms

I just love this song! so beautiful

5:4
Ultra Violet (Light My Way) vs If You Wear That Velvet Dress - Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
6:4
Another one: just love this for no real reason except its beauitful

Acrobat vs Please - Acrobat

Well it is THE acrobat. please only osunds good live
7:4

Love is Blindness vs Wake Up Dead Man - Wake Up Dead Man

Another song that i just love for no real reason. 7:5

OVERALL
ACHTUNG 7
POP 5.

Bonus mark for vocasls would go 2 achtung.

Album live marks go to pop. i loved popmart

ooh i wanna do AB versus Pop

Zoo vs Disco
um, despite U2 trying to ruin this song Discoteque is one badass motherfucker...leave the boom chas alone

Real Thing vs Do you feel loved
the bass line in do you feel loved is out of this world...interesting note: both songs are very sexual

One vs MOFO
against most songs MOFO would probably win, but One...come on that's just not fair

UTEOTW vs IGWSHA
Ok, i'm confused here. Until is obviously the more original song. The guitar work done by the edge is so fresh. If God will send his angels stirs so much emotion in me though...damn. Well, until has lasted longer as apart of U2's live material, so i guess i'll go with it.

Wild Horses vs Staring
I've always felt that both of these songs could be so much more than what they are. the popmart acoustic version of staring is far better than the album version.
Wild Horses, while at times an electric guitar song, an acoustic song, an acoustic but full band song, is just so beautiful that it clearly takes the V.

So Cruel versus Last night
so cruel wins. however, if i had to compare it to the single version of Last night, i don't know what my verdict would be.

the fly versus Gone
once again we find ourselves in territory in which the songs on the album are good but nothing in comparison to how they sound live. I'm going to go with Gone here.

Mysterious Ways versus Miami
I'm not a Miami hater. Live that song goes to a whole other place. Nevertheless, Miami is hardly as strong or lasting as Mysterious Ways

TTTYAATW versus Playboy Mansion
Two under appreciated songs. The groove going on in Playboy mansion is something to be reckoned with. But yes, Tryin' is just too much of a beautiful song

UV versus Velvet Dress
UV no questions

Acrobat versus Please
even though acrobat features one of my favorite phrases and some of edge's coolest work...please is just too powerful

Love is blindness versus Wake Up Dead Man
two songs that leave one with "a bad taste" in my mouth. and, i don't mean that in a negative way in regards to quality of work. Both songs feature Bono at his David/psalms mood. Love is blindness takes this one as edge's solo is so gut-wrenching

AB 8
Pop 4

Both albums featured incredible tours, lyrics, and vocals. The vocals on the Popmart tour were less than perfect, whereas Zoo TV features Bono singing Can't Help Falling in Love in that gorgeous falsetto:drool:

Pop versus ATYCLB

Discoteque versus Beautiful Day
this is really difficult. I understand that Beautiful Day is really inspiring. It's moved me to tears live on several occassions. But Discoteque is just so fucking awesome.

Do you feel loved versus Stuck
If Stuck were featured as an acoustic song here, it'd be the clear choice. But the over produced version just doesn't do as much for me. Do you feel loved also has such powerful sexual lyrics and Adam's bass

MOFO versus Elevation
MOFO shits all over Elevation. I can only enjoy Elevation live.

IGWSHA versus Walk On
Walk on, but barely. Of course if we compare these songs live Walk On walks all over IGWSHA

Staring versus Kite
Kite. That song is so beautiful. I feel like it reaches the depths that Staring sought.

Last Night versus In a little while
In a little while has always felt special to me. And then the Joey Ramone connection just furthered that love.

Gone versus Wild Honey
Wild Honey is one of the rare tracks that I just really don't care for.

Miami versus Peace on Earth
Miami is just too cool. I really don't like comparing these songs though, as they're just so different. Peace on Earth can really hit me hard sometimes.

Playboy mansion versus When I look at the world
again a comparison i just don't like. that solo towards the end in
When i look at the end of the world is brilliant. still, i like the groove in playboy mansion more.

Velvet Dress versus New York
New York. It's such a cool riff

Please versus Grace
Please....no odd rhymes

Dead Man versus Ground Beneath Her Feet
tie. Both of these songs bore me sometimes, and both of these songs reach my heart sometimes.

Pop 7
ATYCLB 4

Both had amazing tours that couldn't be more different from each other. Bono's vocals on both tours featured amazing moments and low moments.

Pop versus HTDAAB
Discoteque versus Vertigo
This is a tough one. I'm going to go with Discoteque, but that could easily change.

Do you feel loved versus Miracle Drug
Miracle Drug just does something to me. It's beautiful, inspiring, and just a great lyric.

MOFO versus Sometimes
I'm going to say MOFO, but I could regret that. Bono's vocals on Sometimes are so endearing. His heart is just on the slab. One song is about his mom and the other is about his dad. MOFO is just such a trip though,

IFWSHA versus LAPOE
Love and peace....there is no doubt here.

Staring versus City
City is just tremendously beautiful.

Last Night versus All Because of You
Last night. The chorus in all because of you is annoying

Gone versus Man and a Woman
Gone. I mean AMAAW is really just a b side

Miami versus Crumbs
It's strange. I thought Crumbs was the under-rated song on Bomb until people started begging for it on tour. Now it's become over-rated. Miami is just so cool.

Playboy mansion versus One Step Closer
OSC is so understated. I just love it. It's my theme song, really.

Velvet versus Original of the Species
I do love the melody in OOTS, but it's production and the Bono "do do do's" annoy me. Velvet isn't a great song though, but it gets points for it's originality.

Please versus Yahweh
Both prayers. And, both are beautiful songs. I'm going to go with Please on this one.

Fast Cars versus Wake Up
I just saw Fast Cars live in Oakland. God, i love this song. The rhythm, the beat, the flow, the lyrics...everything is fantastic.

Pop 7
Bomb 5

It's interesting that the score is as close as it is. I love Pop more as an album on the whole more. Nevertheless, like bono has said, Bomb has some of U2's best songs - it's just that the album doesn't feel whole.

Another Achtung Baby Vs. Pop one...

1. Zoo Station Vs. Discotheque
Love both songs, but Discotheque just edges it for me.

2. Even Better Than The Real Thing Vs. Do You Feel Loved
Easy decision this time.

3. One Vs. Mofo
Both great songs, but One is one of my favourites

4. Until The End Of The World Vs. If God Will Send His Angels
Another easy decision here, UTEOTW is just:drool:

5. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses Vs. Staring At The Sun
Adore both songs, the former being one of the songs that got me into U2, but for some reason I just love Staring At The Sun

6. So Cruel Vs. Last Night On Earth
Both good songs, but LNOE wins this one.

7. The Fly Vs. Gone
The Fly wins this one easily.

8. Mysterious Ways Vs. Miami
Not a big fan of either to be honest.

9. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World Vs. The Playboy Mansion
Both are underrated songs I feel, but theres just something that I love about TTTYAATW that I can't quite put my finger on.

10. Ultra Violet Vs. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
UV is one of my favourites on AB.

11. Acrobat Vs. Please
Tough one, very very tough one, but I'll go for Acrobat.

12. Love Is Blindness Vs. Wake Up Dead Man
Just love WUDM, both are great closers though.

AB - 6
Pop - 5

JT vs AB, with Spanish Eyes placed in JT to make it fair. I put Spanish Eyes where I feel it best fits in terms of flow.

1. Streets vs Zoo Station
Not even a contest.

2. ISHFWILF vs EBTTRT
I think ISHFWILF is over-rated but I feel it's a far deeper track than EBTTRT and it wins out here.

3. WOWY vs One
One is but a shadow of WOWY. Both suffer from a lack of completion (Shine Like Stars and "do you hear us coming?" respectively), and with this considered, WOWY stands considerably better.

4. Bullet vs UTEOTW
One of the great Achtung classics.

5. RTSS vs WGRYWH
RTSS has some of U2's greatest, most poetic lyrics to beautiful music. WGRYWH has "empty as a vacant lot".

6. RHMT vs So Cruel
RHMT is an amazingly sung overlooked classic.

7. In God's Country vs The Fly
The Fly, a rock classic for the ages. IGC's great but it can't compete with Fly's solo.

8. Spanish Eyes vs Mysterious Ways
Spanish Eyes owns so many things it's not funny.

9. Trip vs TTTYAATW
The battle of the weakest songs. JT's weakest isn't as weak as AB's weakest.

10. One Tree Hill stomps the shit out of Ultra Violet

11. Exit vs Acrobat
Battle of the dark religious-themed songs! Thank goodness Exit's production is too quiet, otherwise this might've been too hard.

12. Mothers vs Love Is Blindness
Hardest pick of the lot - both very dark, haunting, eerie closers with fantastic lyrics. LIB's heart-wrenching solo just got it over the line.

Final results:

JT (+ Spanish Eyes) = 8
AB = 4

The four Achtung songs to win their battle are the four that I actually do feel are classics. Who's shocked?

Streets vs Zoo station
1:0 for JT, by far.

I still haven't found... vs Even better
2:0

WOWY vs One
Depends, live - especially on a good night - WOWY is better. Album, One is stronger. Both classics, this has to be a tie.3:1

Bullet vs UTETOTW
Until the end rules - both album and live. 3:2

Running vs Horses
Nothing against Horses, but Running is one of my all time favourites. 4:2

Town vs So cruel
Again, enjoy Town, but So cruel is arguably my fave U2 song ever.
4:3

Country vs Fly
For me, Country slightly ahead. 5:3

Trip vs Ways
Mysterious ways is better, hands down.
5:4

Hill vs Tryin'
Hill, definitely.
6:4

Exit vs Violet
Violet. Might be different if Exit wasn't such a mess on the album.
6:5

Mothers vs Acrobat
Acrobat. Next to One and UTEOTW, this is the closest they got to a great song on AB.
6:6

Heartland vs Love is blindness
While Love is blindness is a better closer, I think Heartland is the better song. 7:6

Not sure anyone's done this: ATYCLB vs Bomb

BD vs Vertigo
BD 1:0

Stuck vs Drug
Stuck 2:0

Sometimes vs Elevation
Sometimes 3:0

Love and peace vs Walk on
tie, both a bit overrated 4:1

Kite vs City
City, but barely 5:1

IALW vs ABOY
IALW 5:2

Wild honey vs AMAAW
Wild honey 5:3

POE vs Crumbs
Crumbs 6:3

WILATW vs Step
Step 7:3

New York vs Original
Original 8:3

Grace vs Yahweh
Yahweh 9:3

Ground vs Cars
Ground 9:4

ATYCLB Vs. HTDAAB

Beautiful Day Vs. Vertigo
Tie: 0-0
Stuck Vs. Miracle Drug
0-1
Elevation Vs. SYCMIOYO
0-2
Walk On Vs. LAPOE
0-3
Kite Vs. COBL
1-3
IALW Vs. ABOY
2-3
Wild Honey Vs. AMAAW
2-4
Peace On Earth Vs. Crumbs
2-5
WILATW Vs. One Step Closer
3-5
New York Vs. OOTS
3-6
Grace Vs. Yahweh
3-7
TGBHF Vs. Fast Cars
4-7

ATYCLB 4
HTDAAB 7

War Vs. The Unforgettable Fire

Sunday Bloody Sunday Vs. A Sort Of Homecoming
1-0
Seconds Vs. Pride
1-1
New Year's Day Vs. Wire
2-1
Like A Song Vs. The Unforgettable Fire
2-2
Drowning Man Vs. Promenade
2-3
The Refugee Vs. 4th Of July
3-3
Two Hearts Beat As One Vs. Bad
3-4
Red Light Vs. Indian Summer Sky
3-5
Surrender Vs. Elvis Presley And America
4-5
"40" Vs. MLK
5-5

War 5
The Unforgettable Fire 5

The Unforgettable Fire Vs. Zooropa

A Sort Of Homecoming Vs. Zooropa
0-1
Pride Vs. Babyface
1-1
Wire Vs. Numb
Tie: 1-1
The Unforgettable Fire Vs. Lemon
1-2
Promenade Vs. Stay
1-3
4th July Vs. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Tie: 1-3
Bad Vs. Some Days Are Better Than Others
2-3
Indian Summer Sky Vs. The First Time
3-3
Elvis Presley And America Vs. Dirty Day
3-4
MLK Vs. The Wanderer
4-4

The Unforgettable Fire 4
Zooropa 4

U2girl ???? can you recheck your scoring for Leave Behind vs. Bomb and repost your score... I think even you may have trouble figuring out exactly what happened...:confused:

Achtung Baby vs. Joshua Tree

1. Zoo Station vs. Streets
0-1

2. EBTTRT vs. ISHFWILF
1-1

3. One vs. With or Without You
1-2

4. Until the End of the World vs. Bullet the Blue Sky
1-3

5. Wild Horses vs. RTSS
2-3

6. So Cruel vs. Red Hill Mining Town
2-4

7. The Fly vs. In God's Country
3-4

8. Mysterious Ways vs. TTYW
4-4

9. TTTYAATW vs. One Tree Hill
4-5

10. Ultraviolet vs. Exit
5-5

11. Acrobat vs. Mothers
6-5

12. Love is Blindness vs. Spanish Eyes
7-5

Final Score:
AB: 7
JT: 5

U2girl said:
ATYCLB vs Bomb

BD vs Vertigo
BD 1:0

Stuck vs Drug
Stuck 2:0

Elevation vs Sometimes
Sometimes 2:1

Walk on vs LAPOE
Walk on 3:1

Kite vs City (hard choice)
City 3:2

IALW vs ABOY (hard choice too)
ABOY 3:3

Wild honey vs AMAAW
Wild honey 4:3

POE vs Crumbs
Crumbs 4:4

WILATW vs Step
Step 4:5

New York vs Original
Original 4:6

Grace vs Yahweh
Yahweh 4:7

Ground vs Cars
Ground 5:7

Last edited:
Boy v. War

1) I Will Follow / *SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY*
2) *TWILIGHT* / Seconds
3) An Cat Dubh - Into The Heart / *NEW YEAR'S DAY*
4) Out of Control / *LIKE A SONG...*
5) Stories for Boys / *DROWNING MAN*
6) The Ocean / *THE REFUGEE*
7) *A DAY WITHOUT ME* / Two Hearts
8) *ANOTHER TIME, ANOTHER PLACE* / Red Light
9) *THE ELECTRIC CO* / Surrender
10) Shadows and Tall Trees / *40*

War 6, Boy 4
The first 5 songs of War are a tour de force...Boy picks up songs on the back end.

A different sort of comparison now

ATYCLB
BD=90/100
Stuck=80/100
Elevation=70/100
Walk On=85/100 (99/100 live)
Kite=95/100
Little While=90/100
Wild Honey=65/100
Peace=80/100
Look at the world=85/100
New York=80/100
Grace=60/100
Ground=75/100
average of 80/100

HTDAAB
Vertigo=90
Miracle Drug=95
Sometimes=80
Love and peace=85
City=95
ABOY=70
AMAAW=68
Crumbs=82
OSC=85
OOTS=75
Yahweh=80
Fast Cars=80
82/100 average

Pop
Disco=90
DYFL=88
MOFO=90
God=85
Sun=75
Last night=75
Gone=85
Miami=85
Playboy=85
Velvet Dress=75
Please=90
Dead=80
83.5/100

Zooropa
1. Zooropa=85
2. Babyface=85
3. Numb=75
4. Lemon=80
5. Stay=90
6. Daddy's=90
7. Some days=70
8. First Time=90
9. Dirty Day=80
10. Wanderer=80
82.5/100

AB
1. Zoo Station=80
2. Real thing=75
3. One=95
4. UTEOTW=90
5. Wild Horses=90
6. So Cruel=85
7. the fly=85
8. MW=85
9. TTTYAATW=85
10. UV=95
11. Acrobat=85
12. Love is blindness=90
87/100

JT - i'm skipping Rattle and Hum cause i feel like it
1. Streets=95
2. Still Haven't found=95
3. WOWY=95
4. Bullet=70
5. Running=90
6. Red Hill=80
7. God's Country=80
8. Trip=80
9. One Tree Hill=75
10. Exit=85
11. Mothers=85

84/100

Boy vs October

1. I Will Follow vs Gloria
(Gloria is an amazing opener, and so anthemic, I think it's much more a classic number than I Will Follow.)
0-1

2. Twilight vs I Fall Down
(Twilight is my second favourite off Boy; I Fall Down doesn't interest me that much.)
1-1

3. An Cat Dubh vs I Threw A Brick
(Brick's drums are amazing.)
1-2

4. Into The Heart vs Rejoice
(More amazing work by Larry.)
1-3

5. Out Of Control vs Fire
(Very close. Just gave it to OOC - very youthful and exuberant.)
2-3

6. Stories For Boys vs Tomorrow
(A haunting, eerie classic.)
2-4

7. The Ocean vs October
(October easily wins the battle of the minimal tracks.)
2-5

8. A Day Without Me vs With A Shout
(A Day Without Me has more emotional power, I feel. And better guitar.)
3-5

9. Another Time, Another Place vs Stranger In A Strange Land
(I often overlook ATAP, but it slaughters Stranger, a song that never seems to really sort out what it is doing.)
4-5

10. The Electric Co. vs Scarlet
(No contest. I love Scarlet but Electric Co. is the best on Boy.)
5-5

11. Shadows And Tall Trees vs Is That All?
(SATT is a better formed song, and a better closer in general.)
6-5

Final results:
Boy - 6
October - 5

Thought October would win there but Boy ends extremely solidly.

Achtung Baby vs. Pop

1. Zoo Station vs. Discotheque
0-1

2. Even Better vs. Do You Feel Loved?
1-1

3. One vs. MOFO (Please don't hurt me!)
1-2

4. Until the End of the World vs. IGWSHA
2-2

5. Wild Horses vs. Staring at the Sun
3-2

6. So Cruel vs. Last Night on Earth