U2 + airplane = true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissZooropa

Refugee
Have anyone notice all the presence(?) of airplanes in U2's videos for ATYCLB. Beautiful day, the whole video is surrounded with airplanes. Beginning of the Elevation video and now the Walk On video. It's all their videos except for Stuck, there you have vans instead, another transportation.
It was a coworker of mine (not a U2 fan but he likes them) who asked me this. I had never given it a thought but now when even the Walk On video starts with an airplane I thought about it.

So any ideas? Is it a hint or what? Just the theme of travelling, bagage?
Give me your thoughts!
smile.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

"Hur er leget? Was it right? Hur ?r l?get?" ~ Bono tries to speak swedish in Stockholm. Hur ?r l?get? means How are you doing? by the way.

I was thinking about this the other day. The thing I was really thinking about was that it just made the album conections to the WTC attack more aparent. The album cover and booklet are all pictures taken in an airport, planes in all the videos, New York, Peace, WILATW, and Grace. But everyone has already talked about that already. I just think it is the theme of being lifted up off the ground and being taken to a better place. Where? Thats for you to decide.

I noticed that too. It's kind of weird, like ATYCLB was meant to be for these times that were to come. Maybe God gave U2 that purpose, who else would he choose? Makes sense to me.

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

Hello,

I think it's just a nod to continuity. I mean, Beautiful Day was shot on an airport and it was a huge hit around the world. So some subsequent videos also had an airplane shot as an in-joke. No big deal, but still funny!

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Let me write a reply when the boys were asked if there was a connection between the planes in BD and Elevation video.

LARRY: The video for Elevation was done by a guy called Joseph Khan. He did the plane as a tip of the hat to Jonas (Akerlund, directed the video for BD), he was saying: "i liked what you did, i liked your idea".

INTERVIEWER: So there's no theme behind it?
LARRY: No. We're not very good at themes.

------------------
"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things nobody one else can. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 11-17-2001).]

Well, I'm an aviation fanatic, so the more the merrier. Now, if we could just see the boys dressed in pilots uniforms...oh my!
eek.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Originally posted by U2girl:
Let me write a reply when the boys were asked if there was a connection between the planes in BD and Elevation video.

LARRY: The video for Elevation was done by a guy called Joseph Khan. He did the plane as a tip of the hat to Jonas (Akerlund, directed the video for BD), he was saying: "i liked what you did, i liked your idea".

INTERVIEWER: So there's no theme behind it?
LARRY: No. We're not very good at themes.

isn't that the interview where bono responds to larry by saying "you're not" (as in larry's not good at themes...)
biggrin.gif

i know i heard it somewhere!!!

i think all the plane imagery is kind of creepy now. it's like listening to the third verse of "please." creeps me out every time.

------------------
"You can download an atmosphere and dial up a groove, but there's a certain magic when three musicians and a dyslexic get together and play in a room." -Bono

Love,
Emily

The city's desire to take me for more and more...

Back
Top Bottom