U2-A band formed by the big man himself?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfwill23

War Child
I'm not a religious nut or anything, but I feel God plays a part in how certain things work out. Given that, do you think it's possible that God is what made U2 form? There are just so many things that make them "fit" together. It seems like it's more than just a band.

For example, Edge and Bono's collective voices. When Edge is singing back-up, such as in Streets, it is a very beautiful sound.

Also, let's face it. Bono could go home with any chick in any city, but he doesn't (at least so we believe.) That is one of the biggest reasons I like U2. They are not just a kick ass band, but they give a shit about the things I give a shit about. I respect Bono the family man.

Bono's work to make the world a better place. We all know about this one. The man spends countless hours trying to save people who are forgotten to most of the world. That's pretty big.

The band has been together for over 20 years and they are as good as ever. Wow.

There are a bunch of other things I could go into too. So, given all of this, do you think there was a higher force at work when the band was formed?

Yes, maybe God did play a part. I often think that. But maybe it was just chance, which is great in it's own way.

Edited content: I think this is kinda funny... We're sure full of our band.

[This message has been edited by On The Edge (edited 12-03-2001).]

Would that mean God is responsible for Vanilla Ice too?

------------------
"And I can feel the cold steel. And I can make a wound that won't heal."- Bono

Oh! Now I know who to blame for the band KISS!

I'm sure Mr. Pussy's Cafe was all part of the grand scheme too
wink.gif

.. and all this time, I thought I was responsible for devil's music, rock n' roll!

------------------
Mr. MacPhisto ^-^
macphisto@u2wdd.org
http://u2wdd.org

Elvis is dead.

well, if any band is touched by Him,
then my money would be on U2

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I know I'm going to be controversal here but, if God really exists, wouldn't you'd think he would have intervened on 9/11 rather than "make U2"? In light of that, everything else is silly.

Mark...isn't it ironic that we have been trying to remove God from every aspect of our society...and yet when a tragedy like 9/11 happens, we suddenly ask the question, "Where were you God?"...God is a gentleman, and something tells me that He is taking His place where America wants Him to be, and that is out of every facet of our lives, and yet suddenly when tragedy strikes, we suddenly want God. Just thinking.

Chris

Yes Wolf, U2 is indeed a creation of God.
September 11th was a creation of the devil.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Originally posted by Mark Freedman:
I know I'm going to be controversal here but, if God really exists, wouldn't you'd think he would have intervened on 9/11 rather than "make U2"? In light of that, everything else is silly.

You could really argue that, but I don't want this turning into a Free Your Mind thread.

All I will say is that there are lots of occurrences that we find ourselves asking why God didn't intervene. Everybody hit and killed by drunk drivers...every miscarriage...every rape...I could go on all day...

God has some kind of grand scheme that we will never understand.

I don't think we are supposed to either.

------------------
"You whacked Dieter's giraffe!"

[This message has been edited by Peanut Butter Panda Bear (edited 12-04-2001).]

U2's music definately has the holy spirit flowing through it, no doubt about it!

In your eyes, God formed U2.
In a REM fan, God formed REM.

God is man's answer to every good deed; destiny is their answer to mistakes and bad deeds.

I think Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry deserve all the credit for forming U2.

------------------
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

God has better things to do than worry about a rock and roll band.

However, since I am a firm believer that God does have a plan for everyone, it could be argued that U2 were "meant to be".

I just don't think He's busy worrying about whether or not Pop was underrated.

Originally posted by Zoocoustic:

I just don't think He's busy worrying about whether or not Pop was underrated.

That about sums it up.

Really, don't we all need to get a grip on reality when a topic such as this comes up? Are we not getting just a tad carried away?

People who thank God at awards ceremonies--why do they think God wanted their album to sell more than that of someone else who is equally or more talented?

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
People who thank God at awards ceremonies--why do they think God wanted their album to sell more than that of someone else who is equally or more talented?
Well, to be honest, I think God does care in some instances. For example, ATYCLB is in many respects, a praise album, Bono reflecting on the joy he has in the Lord. People who listen to this album are affected, and this album may very well be a tool that God uses to help bring people to him. So, I can definitely see why God would want this album to sell more than, say, the latest release by negative doom and gloomers like Garbage et al.

Yes, I think God was THE reason for U2's success, and I bet Bono and the boys would agree (well...maybe 'cept Adam). Yes, a lot of it was timing, the way the music scene was going at the time, the people around them, their upbringings, that they are from Ireland, their getting Paul as their manager, and a whole bunch of other "little things" but overall, I don't think they would have become who they are if the hand of God was not on them - and I do believe that His hand is on them in a BIG way.

With God we can do ALL THINGS!

Disco

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about Clarence Clemons being responsible for U2.

------------------
The joker is the best card.

he was in Bruce's E-Street Band
plays the saxophone

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

The Edge:

The thing I feel passionately about music is that it's not me, it's not U2 creating this great art. That's why I can be so arrogant - or seemingly arrogant - about what we do, because I really don't think it's us essentially. There's something that works through us to create in this way.

Guys some of you are obviously sitting to close to your monitors. Your brains are fried.

Its time to go for a walk and get some fresh air. Who is the god bloke anyway I thought U2 had always been the same four guys?

[hey, guys, I'm really diggin' this conversation.
biggrin.gif
]

from the B-man himself:
I have a kind of Tourette's syndrome, though, where the very thing I'm not supposed to say just forces its way out of me gob. The foot is destined for the mouth. So in that sense I'm probably not a good politician.

George Magazine: At least you never said U2 is bigger than Jesus.

No. Jesus has made us big.

I LOVE THAT ANSWER!
Personally, speaking? (By the way, this IS a Free Your Mind conversation. About U2.
wink.gif
) I do believe that if someone surrenders to God -- i.e. the Higher Love -- in all humility, God guides their heart. I also believe that passion is an aspect of God, which expresses itself in art.
A long time ago, those four Irishmen asked some very earnest questions about their place in their God's plan. (Even if Adam called it something else.) WHAT ARE WE HERE TO DO?? I think the asking, and the answer, made U2.
ach, don't get me started... LOL

blessings,
Deb D

------------------
***Grace makes beauty out of ugly things***

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Originally posted by foray:
Ooh, okay, I know that guy. He's great. Fancy associating him with U2.

foray
His nickname is "Big Man" foray...when i saw the thread title thats the first thing it made me think of.

Back
Top Bottom