U2 7 -- What might have been?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

womanfish

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
With the release of U2 7 only at Target stores. U2 have assured themselves no placement on the Billboard album charts. It is Billboards policy, as we learned with the DVD being released only at Best Buy for the first 2 weeks, that an album, or DVD is only allowed to chart if it is released to all outlets. This prevented U2 from showing up on the DVD chart for the first couple weeks.

What Might Have Been. With the incredibley week sales on the chart right now, If they would have publicized it and said, there will be a limited rare remix album only 500,000 or 1 million will be put out there and when they're gone they're gone (not like the Best of fiasco).

I think this would have assured them a top spot on the Billboard chart for a couple weeks, maybe number 2 under Alan Jackson this week. who knows. Would it have been a good thing. I don't really think so.

I think releasing it to Target is getting to the people who really want it, while still staying out of the public eye too much to avoid U2 overload. Also it is a great vehicle to keep their songs out there that are nominated for Grammys. All-in-all I think it was a good move.

Usually you wouldn't think passing up a sure-fire number 1 or number 2 album would be a good move, but this time I think so.

Lots of people here are complaing about U2 cashing in on this deal with Target. I think that's absurd. If they wanted the big cash, they would release this to all stores and go for another top spot on the album charts. I am very happy to have all these songs on one disc!

Hello,

I partially agree with you, but I have a different theory myself. I do think U2 wanted to avoid over-exposure when "7" was released as the 'new U2 album', but I also think there were other reasons.
First, I think that U2 wanted this to be a USA-only release. All those tracks were released in the rest of the world as B-sides to singles. So most of the people interested in the tracks outside the USA already have them on domestic releases.
OK, so it's a USA-only release. But it is also not a new U2 album. I don't think the record company (Interscope/Universal) would have accepted this as a new album. This would mean U2 got part of their advance and that another album would be ticked off from the list of albums-to-be-made. I also don't think Island will accept this as a compilation album, as one of the three compilation/best-of albums U2 is going to release through that label (of which The Best Of 1980-1990 was the first). Releasing an album also brings with it marketing and distribution costs, costs I don't think the record company wants to bear for this release. In short, I don't think the record company wants to support this release.
Now, in comes Target (I assume they approached U2 and not the other way round). They offer U2 money/payment of costs to release an exclusive CD through their outlets. This gives U2 an opportunity to release these tracks for the USA-market. U2 doesn't have any recording costs, Target will take care of marketing & distribution and the record company does not have to tick off an album from the recording contract (and they'll probably also get some money from it). In short, I think everybody's happy.
smile.gif

C ya!

Marty (who wonders if it isn't too early for these theories [9:15])

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Holy cow this is the first I have heard about this??/

Will someone tell me what U27is???

just an album with the b-sides and some remixes of ATYCLB singles. Available at Target for $7

Womanfish
Thanx alot!
I hadn't even heard of it and I really go to wally instead of target.

I just got back from Target with it and am listening to it right now.

They had a special U2 section all by itself with a big sign advertising it. They had a bunch of copies, and they even had some 'best of' w/ the b sides?? I thought those were history after the first half mill or something like that. Maybe I should go back and get another one
wink.gif

thanx
XOXOXOXOXo

Originally posted by z edge:
They had a bunch of copies, and they even had some 'best of' w/ the b sides?? I thought those were history after the first half mill or something like that. Maybe I should go back and get another one
wink.gif

thanx
XOXOXOXOXo

Well, I dont know exactly what happened, but I get the feeling that they either repressed the Best of with the B-sides or there were a ton left in warehouses for the future because my local Best Buy has 60 of the Best of Double Disc and they just got them in.

aaron

Yeah I should have bought another one since mine is scratched up anyway.

On the U27 cd; the 'walk on single version' sounds different than the import single version I have. I like it a lot better! In fact, I wish IT was the single version we would have had on the radio here!

The WALK ON remix is the version played on the radio here in Aus. That's the official "Single version" here in Aus....Just thought you'd like to know
wink.gif

Bless ya
WHYWHY

Exactly.......a few weeks ago, my brother and I were having an argument about, which was better, the "Tribute to Heroes" version or the single version. The single version (Or nigel godrich) version narrowly won, mostly because Bono's voice is stronger.....anyway, I LOVE it, as you can see by how i rated it in the rating polls at "EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG"
biggrin.gif

Bless ya!
WHYWHY

Back
Top Bottom