U2 7: The Similarities Continue.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung Bubba

Refugee
It seems to me that All That You Can't Leave Behind and its related works have hit a few familiar notes, particularly when looking at coincidences with earlier albums:

BOY - B&W photography with a boy on the cover (in the background in the case of ATYCLB).

OCTOBER - Bono lost the lyrics, again - temporarily (thankfully) for ATYCLB.

WAR - Both include a song dealing directly with a terrorist attack in Ireland: Sunday Bloody Sunday and Peace on Earth.

THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE - Between Bad and the live version of Elevation, both demonstrate Bono's ability to come up with words ending in "-tion".

THE JOSHUA TREE - Both include a song dealing with the death of a close friend: One Tree Hill and Stuck in a Moment.

RATTLE AND HUM - Each includes one of the songs in which U2 mostly closely approaches R&B: Angel of Harlem and Stuck in a Moment.

ACHTUNG BABY - Both albums herald a rebirth following a lukewarmly recieved previous work.

ZOOROPA - Both personify an aspect of God as a woman: the Holy Spirit in "The First Time" and biblical grace in "Grace".

POP - Both have a song centered in and named after a major American city: Miami and New York.

(There may be other ironies; feel free to add your theories.)

And now we have U2 7, what seems to be an obvious reference to U2's first release:

U2 THREE.

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:

THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE - Between Bad and the live version of Elevation, both demonstrate Bono's ability to come up with words ending in "-tion".

HAHA! This one is pushing it, but you have some great points in there.

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

It doesn't quite fit here but a possible coincidence...
Last year The Edge wore a #3 shirt and the band got all 3 Grammys they were nominated for.
Will "7" give them all 7 Grammys they're nominated for?

[This message has been edited by NicaMom (edited 01-23-2002).]

ooooh!! I'm likin' that theory NicaMom!
smile.gif

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:

I'm still laughing at this one!

And I really like NicaMom's theory!

*crosses fingers*
biggrin.gif

------------------
And love is not the easy thing...the only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind.

BONO: FOAD, Lawrence. Just FOAD. (LOL, Mona)

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

U2-3 and U2-7. Of course it's an obvious connection! One of the first things that came to my mind anyways.

Now the question is...any relation to the idea that 3 and 7 are special numbers in the Bible?
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:

Now the question is...any relation to the idea that 3 and 7 are special numbers in the Bible?
biggrin.gif

I was onto that, sula
smile.gif
Do we want to get into that here? The number 7 comes up in the bible 324 times, so I found in one search.

7 grammies sounds good...

Originally posted by NicaMom:
It doesn't quite fit here but a possible coincidence...
Last year The Edge wore a #3 shirt and the band got all 3 Grammys they were nominated for.
Will "7" give them all 7 Grammys they're nominated for?

[This message has been edited by NicaMom (edited 01-23-2002).]

OMG... do you realize that the #7 shirt was one of the most commonly worn ones by Mr. The Edge?? Aaaaaah! lol

I've always wondered if U2 ever find out about this kind of speculation and if they do, what they think about it.....I mean, someone working for U2 must sometime come across a U2 fan site.....like they did for Propaganda in 2000. Anyway, wishful thinking i guess.
These are all very good theories....the funniest is definitely the UF one about the "tions"...makes sense though!
There's always teh "DREAM OUT LOUD" line he uses in ALWAYS that's appeared many times before....seriously, that must be his favourite phrase!

Anyway, with the No. 3 there's ofcourse Job 33:3....
"My words come from an upright heart; my lips speak sincerely what i know"

7 was a bit harder....my attempts at this was not too crash hot, so if anyone wants to, feel free to find it......
I came up with possibly Micah 7:7
but i doubt it
biggrin.gif
Good thinking Achtung Bubba!
Bless ya!
WHYWHY

Ha, that is Job 33:3? Interesting verse, you know Job doesn't say that, his friend does who is not helping Job at all.

I was led to believe "J" stood for Jeremiah, and I've got the verse printed up on a shirt at cafepress.com/j333.

7, hmmm, you think there's an actual verse here? What about "he made the world in seven"...

From my limited bible knowledge, 7 usually refers to heaven. 3 usually refers to a heavenly bieng such as God or Jesus.

The UF -tions is a bit of a stretch, but I love it!

...or U2-7 could refer to the number of songs on the disk? (sorry to burst everyone's bubble...haha) Anyway...my thought actually is that alot of underground bands put out smaller records, which are termed "7-inches" because of their size...maybe this is that attempt...no clue...keep on dreaming.

All I can say is I'm more than a bit bitter that I can't get it up here in Canada! The speculation as to signifigance is fun to read and I'd love to get into it more, but I need to get to sleep, what with exams and all tomorrow...

Originally posted by Guy With The Stuff:
All I can say is I'm more than a bit bitter that I can't get it up here in Canada! The speculation as to signifigance is fun to read and I'd love to get into it more, but I need to get to sleep, what with exams and all tomorrow...

well you could sit there and whine...OR you could always go to this thread and arrange a trade with one of our helpful interferencers who have volunteered to get these CDs out to the non-US public.
tongue.gif

Originally posted by Austin:
...or U2-7 could refer to the number of songs on the disk? (sorry to burst everyone's bubble...haha) Anyway...my thought actually is that alot of underground bands put out smaller records, which are termed "7-inches" because of their size...maybe this is that attempt...no clue...keep on dreaming.

Well, perhaps "U2 7" refers to the number of tracks...

...but so did "U2 THREE".

So there!

Back
Top Bottom