U2 45s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~LadyLemon~

I Serve Larry's Stick
I was just curious if these were worth anything.

Last weekend I found a 45 of Desire/Hallelujah Here She Comes, and also one of Stay/I've Got You Under My Skin.

------------------
-The Shitty Beatles? Are they any good?

-They suck!

-So it's not just a clever name...

Up-->although I'm sure these aren't worth much. I thought they were a cool find though.

------------------

-They suck!

No shit(e), WoW I'd didn't think they made 45's as late as 1998 much less 1993!

I would hang on to them, even if you have no way to play them!

They are worth very little although they are cool to have. The only 45's of U2 that are worth anything are their early singles 1980/81 on CBS in Ireland. These were also reissued by CBS records in 1983(I think) with colored vinyl in Ireland only. Some of the colored vinyl reissues are worth more than the originals. These are cool to have also but I wish they would re issue them on CD. Maybe someday if we ever get a box set.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 10-05-2001).]

smile.gif

------------------

-They suck!

I have a lot of U2 vinyl, from the old stuff to the new stuff. The most recent 45 rpm single I was able to find was "Discotheque." So yes, labels still make some 45 rpm singles - even in '97. I also have the album version of ATYCLB, so companies are clearly still releasing vinyl.

Having collected albums since the 70's (arguably the very end of the 60's, when my mother bought the Beatles' "Let It Be" for me as a child), I have a fair amount of vinyl (most of it not that great - a lot of typical male teenage crap) and a turntable. Turntables are fairly cheap these days, so if you do want to play your albums, it shouldn't cost too much to get one.

Regarding the singles you mentioned ~LadyLemon~, I don't have "Stay" (so if you find an extra one, let me know) but I have "Desire." I bought that one when it was released and I have since acquired a few more copies. Both singles are pretty much worth what you paid for them at the moment. I would estimate about $2-5. You might find someone willing to pay more, say $10, but that's about it. If they are in their special sleeves, they are (will be) worth more than if they are in plain sleeves.

As someone else mentioned, the singles worth a lot right now are the "much older" ones released early in U2's career. Just about any version of "U2-3" for example is fairly valuable. An original "U2-3" (the 12" version which has a number) is worth as much as $1500! However, I believe it will take another 10 or so years before most of U2's vinyl really starts becoming valuable.

There are two exceptions, from my experience, of more recent U2 45 rpm vinyl singles that are more valuable. One is "One Tree Hill." This record was only released in New Zealand. Its sleeve looks just like the one for "In God's Country" (with a picture of Bono on it) but comes with a special lyric sheet. That lyric sheet is part of what makes this 45 rpm valuable, so don't lose it. That single can go for as high as $50 due to its rather limited release (worth much less without the lyric sheet). The other is a gatefold version of "Desire." By "gatefold" I mean that the record cover folds out. That is worth about $15-20. Most of the other singles are worth $10 and under ($10 is the maximum price I've seen for singles - don't be tempted to pay it unless you absolutely can't find it elsewhere - try not to pay more than $5 for a typical vinyl single).

Hope this helps.

Hmm, thats interesting. I actually have the One Tree Hill single with the lyric sheet. I bought it around 1990 at a record show and paid about $5. I never knew that it was some type of rarity.

I think there are also some Japanese 45 singles also that are worth a bit more than normal as well. It has been so long since I have thought about or looked at my old U2 vinyl that I dont even remember. I should really convert some of it to CD as I do still have a turn table on my stereo.

Originally posted by Blue Room:
Hmm, thats interesting. I actually have the One Tree Hill single with the lyric sheet. I bought it around 1990 at a record show and paid about $5. I never knew that it was some type of rarity.

Remember, I said it *can* be worth that much. Also, note the year you bought it - 1990. That's nearly 12 years ago. Add 12 years onto a single that was only released in New Zealand and suddenly it does become a lot more valuable.

I think there are also some Japanese 45 singles also that are worth a bit more than normal as well. It has been so long since I have thought about or looked at my old U2 vinyl that I dont even remember. I should really convert some of it to CD as I do still have a turn table on my stereo.

Most likely the songs you'd convert are already out in .mp3 format, so just download them and then burn onto CD.

As for more recent 45's, there are some still released for jukeboxes here in the U.S., but most seem to be released for Europe or Asia (at least from what I've found).

doctorwho--

The Stay single is in it's "special" sleeve.
The place also had Discotheque, but I decided not to get it because I was paying more than I should have for Stay. Desire is just in it's normal sleeve. Thanks for the info.

------------------

-They suck!

This seems like the best place for me to say that I just recently became the proud owner of the the first 4 singles on CBS (U23, Another Day, 11 O' Clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow). I also own another copy of U23 that is in much better condition than the one in the 4 pack. None of these discs are the colored vinyl though. I recently saw a U23 brown vinyl on Ebay for $1500! I hope that these records I have will go up in value, I'm sure they will once U2 is no longer recording/touring.

------------------
Looking for U2 bootlegs?
www.geocities.com/u2trades

Wow, U23 has gotta be worth some bucks!!!!

------------------
The goal is SOUL

Back
Top Bottom