U2 3D out on dvd this year ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
From atu2com's Off the record column:

"A week or two ago, I walked into the family room and discovered my son and daughter watching the Hannah Montana 3D movie. On TV. With the 3D glasses and all.

Did you catch that?

A 3D movie. On my television.

Didn't Catherine Owens say that they wouldn't release U2 3D on DVD until you could get the full 3D experience in your living room? As best I could tell, my kids just got the full Hannah Montana 3D experience in our living room.

As it turns out, a fan recently posted this hot rumor in the U2.com message boards:

Heard a wild rumour today on the radio that U2-3D is set for a Christmas release on DVD and Blue-Ray apparently it will coincide with the tour dates being announced.

Now isn't that interesting?"

:hmm:

Cool.

I never got around to seeing it on the big screen so I would be down with a DVD release. Bring it.

Although I heard a rumor that Bono makes a goofy bird motion during Beautiful Day.

:yikes:

I sure hope so, and with extra features and maybe perhaps some of the missing songs like City Of Blinding Lights. Imagine that!

Hannah Montana and U23D were filmed in two entirely different 3D formats. The nature of U23D means that it takes three projectors, if I remember correctly, in theatres, and a special chip or converter box to make it work on normal TV.

It wouldn't work with red/blue glasses, and I'm not sure I'd want to watch it with red/blue glasses.

Hannah Montana and U23D were filmed in two entirely different 3D formats. The nature of U23D means that it takes three projectors, if I remember correctly, in theatres, and a special chip or converter box to make it work on normal TV.

It wouldn't work with red/blue glasses, and I'm not sure I'd want to watch it with red/blue glasses.

that's not correct. They were both filmed with polarized 3D-technic - (also some of the Equipement were the same - Fusion cams developed by Cameron and Pace). And it's not a problem to put "U2 3D" also out in the same way they did with Hanna M. But I really hope they do not. For home theater they still use these horrible "red-green" technique - absolultly horrible. People needs to be convinced by 3D - and this would be a huge step back. To see it in the same way like we say it in theaters you need a special TV - which has been already developed (Texas Instruments). But with a normal TV, LCD or Plasma it's not possible to show "U2 3D" with the polarized technic.

I took my kids to Hannah Montana at the theatre and it was as good as U23D.

Last week they watched it on cable TV with the red/blue glasses and were TOTALLY disappointed. In fact, they turned it off and waited 2 hours until the 2D version came on immediately afterwards.

I suppose U2 COULD put both the 2D and 3D versions as a DVD but, being the perfectionists they are, I highly doubt they will if it means viewers wearing crappy glasses.

I think this will stay out of the home theater market until technology advances, they won't go old school shit 3D and it'd lose the impact without 3D, plus what do you call it then? U22D? or simply U2? Anyway, stop bringing Hannah Montana into this, U2 3D is an IMAX event, using top of the line technology and putting you right up there with the biggest band in the world, painstaking crafted and mixed and actually planned, not a crappy Disney lip-synch fest quickly shot and released in digital 3D to cash in. Yes they released U23D in digital 3D but it was made for IMAX.

I hope they release it in such a way that people with normal TVs can watch it in 3D somehow. I don't care if it's not as technologically amazing as in the theater, becuase I wouldn't expect it to be as good as that.

I read something on Wikipedia a few weeks ago that said that U23D might actually end up in IMAX again, treated as many IMAX movies are (six-to-eight-week-runs at museums that aren't exactly huge theatrical money-making events), because National Geographic didn't set up any limits for the time that it can be in theatres. That's just Wikipedia, but, if it's true, it's promising.

The last time I saw that it was playing, though, was in late May, at the Natural History Museum in D.C.

I read something on Wikipedia a few weeks ago that said that U23D might actually end up in IMAX again, treated as many IMAX movies are (six-to-eight-week-runs at museums that aren't exactly huge theatrical money-making events), because National Geographic didn't set up any limits for the time that it can be in theatres. That's just Wikipedia, but, if it's true, it's promising.

I hope it's true, because maybe then my local IMAX will show it eventually. I live near an IMAX theater that hasn't ever shown U2 3D at all. I have no idea why, unless their equipment is too outdated for it or something. I had to drive to another city to see it in a regular 3D theater.

I'd buy it 3D or not 3D (that is the question ....)

Oh, anyway .... I'd prefer a 3D version (and when I saw the Hannah Montana movie out it gave my poor heart a glimmer of hope!) I had wanted to see it just one more time. I caught a few performances at the IMAX in town, and they were moving it to the local AMC theaters (wanted to get there to see how it compared to the IMAX).

It'd make a dandy Christmas present.

thing is alot of us didnt get the chance to see it at theatres, cos either we are broke, no 3d theatres in a 300 miles radius of us, or both!

for me it was the no 3d theatre in a 300 mile radius to me, and i dont know about you, but i wouldnt make a 600 mile round trip just to see a movie, ok i know its wasnt just a movie but you get my point, i would be spending a good £100 on petrol just to spend £5 sitting in a theatre for 90 minutes, doesnt really make sense does it,

going to a concert on the other hand, thats different before anyone says anything!:doh:

This would make me very happy. I had no IMAX theater near so I was unable to watch it and I think it would be a great experience.

I really hope this doesn't just bring my hopes up.

Back
Top Bottom