U2 3D -Is it IMAX?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mo786

War Child
Hi

A bit of confusion betwene me and my mate!

Is the film shot in IMAX or is it just shot in 3D?

i.e is it better to see it in an IMAX cinema or is it the same in a normal cinema - he says normal filsm in an IMAX cinema are shown using less of the screne

Can anyone who saw it in an IMAX or both confirm or deny?

coolian2 said:
I don't think we've discussed much about the film here.

if you can direct me a to a post that answers my specific question...

Hi, I saw it first in an Imax theatre, then saw it in a nomal theatre capable of showing 3D films and I can say it is better in an Imax theatre by miles. The Imax screens are massive so it is much clearer and enlarged. Normal 3D screen was abit like seeing the show from the back of a stadium, whereas Imax is front row!:drool:

Pamelakellett said:
Hi, I saw it first in an Imax theatre, then saw it in a nomal theatre capable of showing 3D films and I can say it is better in an Imax theatre by miles. The Imax screens are massive so it is much clearer and enlarged. Normal 3D screen was abit like seeing the show from the back of a stadium, whereas Imax is front row!:drool:

Thanks - i'll make the extra 90mile or so journey to London then!

Pamelakellett said:

I`ve booked to see it in London again on 1st March, both the 5pm and 7.10pm showings! It`s very addictive..........you have been warned :wink:

Hmm, I was thinking of going next Sat at 5ish as well - you stalking me? :D

I hope its good or my non U2 fan friend wont be pleased.

yea i saw it in imax and now im going to see it in a regular theater...we'll see how much worse it is...

buffalo didn't have it in imax, only regular... and to be honest, it kinda sucked. thought it was weird, because imax was in the same building...

The sound system also wasn't that great. The mix wasn't too good, half the time you couldn't hear Bono. But I don't know if that was a function of the theater. I was hoping they'd have "Until the End of the World", oh well.

yeah its not very good non-imax.

uteotw is like my favorite U2 song i was upset it was cut

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
yeah its not very good non-imax.

uteotw is like my favorite U2 song i was upset it was cut

yeah its my fav too.
i'm gonna try to find it in imax somewhere nearby. but i doubt i will :(

also - i read yahweh was the last song. i heard it in the credits, but in wikipedia it's listed as the last song, but after the credits. was it shown live? anyone see it?

i thought usually its two encores, but i (stupidly) didn't stay to see...

in imax it was pretty sweet

yeah its played in the credits and they sort of show the band playing it.

Pamelakellett said:

Pamela, thank you for taking mo786's question seriously and answering it! :hug:

I loved the Imax version, but the regular version is only 95% as cool. ;) You can actually see more of the movie in the regular version. The sound is great because as Catherine focuses on that band member, his instrument's sound is in the foreground; that's why Bono sounds like he's in the background at times.

I saw it three times at Imax and loved it. I've only seen it once in regular 3D, but I'll go again as many times as I can. :yes:

I thought the normal screen looked much sharper and more color-saturated than the IMAX screen (I remember the Streets flags looking really incredible), but that was at Sundance where they gave us these thick, hi-tech 3D glasses to wear, which might have made the difference.

Plus, the sound system used at the Eccles Theater in Park City there was unbelievable, total surround sound and very clear (Joe O'Herlihy himself stopped by the theater earlier in the day to set it all up).

However, IMAX does give one that wraparound visual which isn't possible on the small screens, so.... see both versions.

Or, if you live in Australia, don't.

I think it depends on various factors 1. size of screen 2. sound system 3. type of glasses.

We don't have a single IMAX in my country, but I'm going to Germany for the premiere and I'm going to see it on the "normal screen" and on the big IMAX screen. I'm really curious about the differences. Both cinemas will be handing out different types of glasses which will be interesting.

Let me try to guess where you live:

a. Greenland
b. Haiti
c. Easter Island
d. Australia

One of the above, probably

Last edited:
:lol:

Not really, but the fact that we don't have an IMAX (our only IMAX was closed years ago) could very well lead you to believe that. It's a small country anyway.

:shh: But we have the European football championships this year. That's really something.

4U2Play said:
I thought the normal screen looked much sharper and more color-saturated than the IMAX screen (I remember the Streets flags looking really incredible), but that was at Sundance where they gave us these thick, hi-tech 3D glasses to wear, which might have made the difference.

Yes I agree. When I saw it in the regular theatre the opening shots were super clear, but the were blurred at London. However then I saw it in Birmingham yesterday and it was all vey clear but they were much better quality specs.

I think the only option is see it as many times as poss in as many theatres as poss :hyper: :combust: :faint:

Maybe we should start a thread for the most times people have seen it......:eek: ..........or that could make some people very :sad:

Back
Top Bottom