U2 3D - 2008 release date?? +

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

innominata8

War Child
U2 3D - 2008 release date??

not sure if this has been hashed out here or not, but i came across this on www.giantscreencinema.com, under the films in production section:

U2 3D (FT)
3ality Digital Entertainment
Length of Finished Film: 90 minutes
Film Format: 3D
Release Date: Early 2008
jon@3alitydigital.com
The world’s biggest band in the first-ever 3D concert film on the largest movie screen of all...the magic of a U2 concert captured in a whole new dimension. U2 perform their greatest hits live in their sold-out globetrotting stadium show. Starring: Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton & Larry Mullen Jr.

is the flick officially being pushed back?

:scream: :no: :no: :madwife: i have been dreaming and :drool: about this movie all year ..... november this year would be a very good time for it to come out . why must they make me wait ...

mysterious_jen said:
:scream: :no: :no: :madwife: i have been dreaming and :drool: about this movie all year ..... november this year would be a very good time for it to come out . why must they make me wait ...

ME,TOO!! I AM VERY UPSET Is it really true, then, not til 2008:mad: WHYYYYYYY ??

blm said:

ME,TOO!! I AM VERY UPSET Is it really true, then, not til 2008:mad: WHYYYYYYY ??

They are releasing : U219 (U218 with Mercy added to the songlist)
Retail : $24.99
Super Deluxe version : $49.99

:wink:

YBORCITYOBL said:

They are releasing : U219 (U218 with Mercy added to the songlist)
Retail : $24.99
Super Deluxe version : $49.99

:wink:

European version will also have "I Will Follow" as a bonus track...

Post-poning the movie to 2008 WOULD open up the possibility of a fall album, which from a marketing perspective would be too much with a soundtrack released at the same time........

Hmm.......

No way there is a album by this fall. It takes the U2 machine just about 6 months to start generating the hype as we've seen with the previous 2 albums.

No matter what the style of the new album is, the one thing that we can bet on being the same is the marketing push.

I honestly have no idea why this movie would be pushed back. But it's par for the course with anything related to U2.

The postponement may have more to do with allowing more time for theaters to add digital 3D capability. As it stands now there are I think only about 1000 screens capable of showing the movie. Not sure if that figure is US only or worldwide but because of the U2 film and several others that are in the works more theater owners are looking into adding it. So if they delay a bit it gives time for more screens to be added. From what I understand the previews of U23D are being used to encourage this. The other factor is the delay of the Popmart DVD release. They probably want to space things out a bit because if they both came out in September it might be U2 overload again.

Dana

rihannsu said:
The postponement may have more to do with allowing more time for theaters to add digital 3D capability. As it stands now there are I think only about 1000 screens capable of showing the movie. Not sure if that figure is US only or worldwide but because of the U2 film and several others that are in the works more theater owners are looking into adding it. So if they delay a bit it gives time for more screens to be added. From what I understand the previews of U23D are being used to encourage this. The other factor is the delay of the Popmart DVD release. They probably want to space things out a bit because if they both came out in September it might be U2 overload again.

Dana

I hate it when sensibility and logic are brought about. Many more fans would be able to see the movie , though, and that would be a good reason for the delay. But we need something for this fall, then they've got to give us something, i need something :shifty: :rant:

I dunno. I'm kinda over the Vertigo tour. I'll see it for sure, but I'm not dying for it. It was just too preachy. And the song selection kinda sucked. You know we're just going to get the exact same setlist as the Chicago DVD, but abbreviated. Listening/watching An Cat Dubh, SBS, Bullet, Pride, a piano only OOTS, One, LAPOE and the Fly yet again no matter the format just ain't gonna do it for me.

So, 2007 or 2008, whenever.

Last edited:
Snowlock said:
I dunno. I'm kinda over the Vertigo tour. I'll see it for sure, but I'm not dying for it. It was just too preachy. And the song selection kinda sucked. You know we're just going to get the exact same setlist as the Chicago DVD, but abbreviated. Listening/watching An Cat Dubh, SBS, Bullet, Pride, a piano only OOTS, One, LAPOE and the Fly yet again no matter the format just ain't gonna do it for me.

So, 2007 or 2008, whenever.

I dont know. Have you've seen a 3D movie? Its pretty immersive and I can only imagine what a U2 concert would look like :drool:

zoopop said:

I dont know. Have you've seen a 3D movie? Its pretty immersive and I can only imagine what a U2 concert would look like :drool:

If you can only imagine, then yeah, I could see the excitement. I've been in the even more immersive versions a number of times. If this were the Outside Broadcast Leg of the Zoo TV tour or the first leg of the Joshua Tree tour (which would be impossible I'm aware) I'd be more interested.

The last two tours were so gospel-y, less rock and roll, and I'm kinda tired of it.

ah, though I'll probably be raving about it after I see it lol

lol...i'll add the reply i just received as well:

Chad: A release date is TBD, as nothing is firm as of yet. An announcement
will be forthcoming. Thanks.

here's the latest on U23D:

Variety is reporting that U23D has been picked up for distribution by
National Geographic. It will only be shown in 3D, and is slated to hit
theaters in North America in January 2008.

Nat'l Geographic??? :hmm:

Wow, can't wait. That's not too long now.

All I want to know now is the setlist. Damn, I know they won't include Fast Cars, but it was played at the show that was filmed.

Shit.

At least it seems clear it will be shown in RealD, as well as, IMAX 3D theaters.

Last edited:
ramblin rose said:
Wow, can't wait. That's not too long now.

All I want to know now is the setlist. Damn, I know they won't include Fast Cars, but it was played at the show that was filmed.

Shit.

At least it seems clear it will be shown in RealD, as well as, IMAX 3D theaters.

of course Fast Cars should be in there and we all know why don't we? :sexywink:

:giggle:

perrypickwick said:
There's another Thread in the PLEBA section. I posted the original press release from National Geographic there - that explains a little bit :wink: [/url]

I thought maybe it was because Bono was recently seen in public bearing a striking resemblance to an ape, and National Geographic had to get a piece of the action. :hmm:

hmm..for some reason i got the impression that we are going to have to wear 3D glasses while watching it..is this true?

Back
Top Bottom