U2: 15 to 1 - What You Like and Why You Like It

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
15. In a Little While - I know a lot of people think this is just a throw away pop song, but I love the melody, and the "man dreams..." verse is a real highlight for me

14.Rejoice - The energy on this track is amazing, each of the band's playing is great, love it

13.Exit (especially live) - The Atmosphere just so dark and moody and the way it explodes, just magic

12. Wake Up Dead Man - The emotion in this song, the way Bono sings it, the noises in the background, dark and beautiful

11. One - The Universal song, need I say more?

10. Out of Control - U2's first single showcases the pure energy of the band, one of their best rock songs

9. Walk On - A Song that can always cheer me up when I'm down, just love the lyrics

8.If God Will Send His Angels - I just love this song so much, the "Jesus never..." verse is one of my favourite U2 verses ever

7. Sunday Bloody Sunday (live) - The raw energy and emotion of this song live is just amazing, should always be played

6. A Sort Of Homecoming - The lyrics, the emotion, the music :drool:

5. Acrobat - Don't let the bastards grind you down :drool: love the drums in this song as well and the guitar

4. Please - This song is just impossible to describe, I can not find one fault in this song, would never not want to listen to it

3.The Unforgettable Fire - The opening to this song is just so beautiful, and the rest is just as good

2.Stay (Faraway, so close!) - Since the first time I heard this, it has been one of my all-time favourite U2 songs, I can't say why I love this song, I just do.

1.Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of - It nearly hurts me when I see this song bashed around here, I can never understand why, it's perfect, the music, the lyrics, the singing, nothing wrong with it, it's all perfect. This song could cheer me up no matter what

^ I fully agree with your sentiments regarding Stuck in a moment ...

I really detest this attitude that because Stuck .... is perfect in just about every way it is a lightweight feel good song
it boggles my mind that people don't seem able to recognise that substance and intense actually do go together
and in the rare occasions this does happen - like with Stuck ... - we should better take note and appreciate it

I'll take a shot at this. This is my current top 15. I'll probably be different in a month. :wink:

15. God Part 2 - Best song off Rattle and Hum. It simply rocks in every way. Larry's drumming and Edge's guitar slam the song into high gear. They have to bring this one back live.

14. Wire - Amazing guitar. Full of adrenaline. One of the most fast-paced songs in the band's catalogue.

13. With or Without You - Beautifully haunting song. Adam's bass is central to the song. Love the outro.

12. Please - On studio, it's good. Live, it's on a whole different level. I love the Sunday Bloody Sunday drumbeat. Bono's wailing over Edge's solo is only triumphed by his falsetto during the segue to Streets. A live classic.

11. Elevation - Love the high-pitched whooping. Just a great, fun song to sing along to.

10. Lemon - This is Macphisto's song! Bono's falsetto is amazing. U2 at its most experimental.

9. Bullet the Blue Sky - Edge's solo on the studio version is great. But live, it's :drool: Larry and Adam do a great job anchoring the song. Zoo TV and Elevation Tour versions were astounding.

8. Discotheque - A cool and funky song. Love the video. Love the Boom Chas.

7. Vertigo - The closest U2 has ever come to a pure, hard rock song. Shredding guitar. Love the "feel" part.

6. Window in the Skies - In my opinion, it might be the best song of the 2000s so far. Marks the return of Bono's falsetto. Hope it gets played next tour.

5. Mysterious Ways - Psychedelic guitar. Just perfect on the studio version. Even better when played live. Love the Zoo TV and the Vertigo version. In both versions, my favorite part is Bono's ad-libbing during the extended jam at the end. This song made me a U2 fan.

4. I Will Follow - Classic, old-school U2. Still has a huge amount of energy 26 years after its release. Has aged really well. Love Edge's chiming guitar and Larry's rolling drum beat.

3. Bad - One of the most perfect songs U2 has ever recorded. Just the combination of Edge's guitar, Larry's drumming, Adam's bass, and Bono's lyrics and singing makes this song perfect. Shows off Bono's voice like no other song.

2. Streets - The ultimate U2 live song. Edge's guitar gives me shivers everytime I hear it. It's that good! Perfect intro. and outro. The segue from Running to Stand Still to Streets on Zoo TV Sydney (when I got it on VHS) made me more than a casual U2 fan.

1. The Fly - This song just rocks more than any other. It contains Edge's best guitar solo, some of Bono's best lyrics, and the most amazing outro. U2 has ever done. I love hearing Edge and Bono duet during the chorus. This is the only U2 song that I could listen to more than once in a row and not get tired of it. Live, it's drool-worthy no matter what tour it's from. One of my lifelong goals is to see this song played live.

That was really hard. Once I got past the top 5, it took me a while to figure it out.

Ax that was a great list! :up:

This is going to suck for me because I change my mind every 2 days on my favorite U2 songs...but here I go:

15. Spanish Eyes: Pure rock and roll...bass, drums, guitar and an exceptionally raw vocal.

14. Twilight (Boy version): Has a power the original version lacked and the guitar solo on this :drool:

13. Original Of The Species (Single version): I don't know why, but this song moves me differently everytime I hear it.

12. The Three Sunrises: Outake U2!!! Killer guitar and a vocal choir chorus!!

11. Red Hill Mining Town: Loved it the first time I heard and have never stopped loving it.

10. Drowning Man: A thing of pure vocal beauty, when all Bono really did was screech.

9. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill: 90's future rock! A guitar song when the Edge wasn't playing guitar songs.

8. Please: Not my favorite album, but a great song. A song that with just a little more work should've been a classic.

7. The Fly: Someone already said it in this thread, one of the Edge's greatest guitar solos/songs eh-va!

6. Desire: Another rawk song!! Bring back the rolling guitar sound Edge!

5. Walk On: This songs flip-flops with Elevation, but I like the fact that this song has a little more meaning.

4. Surrender: From a record called War a song called Surrender...need I say more? Yeah, probably, but I'll leave it at that.

3. I Still Haven't Found...: This song is eternal and spiritual and it's one of my all time favorites, even though when I first heard it I wasn't impressed.

2. Bullet The Blue Sky: I just as easily could put UTEOTW or Gone here too, but this was the first time I heard U2 get "hard". The solo still rocks my world.

1. Promenade: A song, which for years I never thought much of...and then one day I heard it and it just hit me. I don't know what it is about this song because I'm a 'rawk' guy, but the vocal, the lyrics the chiming guitar...I dunno, it just seems like quintessential U2 to me.

15.Gone-The only song I liked from POP
14.Tripped through your wires-A fun song to sing
13.Vertigo-makes me turn my Ipod up
12.Beautiful Day-I call this the come back song
11.Like a song..-I don't hear much about this one,I wish larry still played like that!
10.Zooropa-Why?I don't know.Maybe someone can tell me.
9.Until the end of the world-Live-
8.11 o'clock Tick Tock-Edge Rocks on this one
7.Bullet the Blue Sky-Live from Boston DVD,Bigger than Jesus on a bumper sticker
6.Unforgettable fire-Big song for me
5.EXIT-great song from R&H (wish I saw it live!)
4.With or Without You-Love to listen to it when I'm alone
3.All I Want is You
2.Streets-A song I always sing at kareoke
1.THE FLY-live from Boston DVD,I love this song! I could listen to it all day!

Thanks! I had fun thinking about my answers.

In honor of U218, I'll do my top 18

18 Sunday Bloody Sunday R&H version--My friend and I used to go around quoting Bono's long rant.
17 Acrobat - Deep lyrics, haunting song. Bono sounds like MacPhisto
16 Mofo- Mother fucking rock and roll
15. Seconds - Red Rocks version. this song is great live
14 Hawkmoon 269-- esp. the live version that started Lovetown
13. Gloria live - Gotta give October some love
12.Red Hill Mining Town- wish this wouldve been a single
11.City of Blinding Lights- Remind me of BD the way the song builds to a climax, probably why I like it so much.
10 Please- live (love edge's guitar and they way the song builds to the end) Waaaaaay better than studio version
9. Ultraviolet - AB is the best album ever IMO
8. Zoo Station - What a great way to start 90's U2. Love turning this up loud and grooving with Adams bass line on the chorus
7. In God's Country - Love the way it begins-edges chimey guitar
6. (Tied) Gone and Last Night on EArth-Popmart was my first concert, and I will always love these two. Favorites off pop
5. Until The End of the world- The first song that reeally hooked me on AB and edge's amazing sound
4. dirty day from zoo tv - blown away when i saw this for the first time.
3. beautiful day - I thought u2 was done after pop, hearing this was like being reborn. So much different/better than any other music on radio at the time.
2. one tree hill - fell in love with this one after I saw a video of it from lovetown. So much emotion by Bono
1. The Fly - You know all the reasons. I always liked edges backing falsetto, but really got into this song after I saw the Elevation version with the cool intro.
#1 played on my itunes. best ever.

I love making lists.
I could easily do a top 200
There ya go

Window In the Skies- What can I say, they come back with one of the most uplifting songs since Beautiful Day. Love this one. Its a chorus I can't get "out of my head."

Heartland - The atmosphere and the power of Bono's voice has always made me come back to this one. As soon as Adams bass comes into the pictue I'm sold. His bass sounds like the rapid heart beat of a restless soul but at peace with itself.

Walk On - This song makes me puff my chest out and say "fuck you" to all that have ever doubted me. The song is wonderfull but as soon as the solo hits and the outro "all that you..." hits full speed I find myself singing at full force in the middle of traffic.

Vertigo - Rock, and fun rock. I just love the adrenaline that pulses thru this song. This is a song I get sick of but when I come back to it, it sounds fresh and is more full of life everytime. This is on constant re-play for my workouts.

Ultraviolet - Pure beauty in the rhythem and lyrics of this song for me. Came off of the album that made me fall in love with U2. "I remember when we could sleep on stones. Now we lie together
In whispers and moans"

Electric Co. - Ths song was a total re-discovering for me. The energy and wonder of this song blew me away off the DVD. This song made me appreciate how taltented U2 were at such a young age. I tend to dismiss U2 at this stage but when they ripped it out at the Vertigo Tour I was breathless.

All I Want is You - A winner in terms of a song with everything.

With or Without You - To me its overplayed but it is a song for me that hasn't aged a single day. When I play it on CD I either ignore it or scip it. But when it comes on the radio I pay full attention for some reason and at the end I feel as though I was taken away to a wonderful place.

So Cruel - Could easily compete for my top place but I just haven't listend to it in quite a long time. Contains my favorite U2 lyrics ever "Her heart is racing, you can't keep up
The night is bleeding like a cut. Between the horses of love and lust We are trampled underfoot." AAAAahhhhhhh those lines are genious.

Kite - Simple and basic but more powerfull than a prayer. No matter how you take the meaning of this song to be it can hit you in a certain place that no other song can. This song brought out emotions in me I forgot that I had.

STYCMIOYO - Great, great and great. What can I say I just love everything about this song.

The Fly - Gritty, dirty, sleezy, and sexy. The Fly in full effect. This song made U2 the coolest fucking thing on this planet for me. Everyone was wearing flanel, they were wearing black leather and making songs that were years ahead, and still are, ahead of this time. I can remember being in the car with a friend. I was playing this song in 92 and he said "I 've never heard anything like it." Today I still haven't either."

Gone - This song defined me for a long time. It said everything about me and what I was about. I remember driving around at 2am in the morning before making one of the biggest decisions of my life. I would just listen to this song over and over. Still holds a very special place.

Beautiful Day - I could be having the worst day ever. This song could pull me out of whatever is going on. It really is an incrediably powerfull song. I have to say this is my favorite live song.

City Of Blinding Lights - All I can say is this is everything I ever wanted from U2. Its the perfect song for me because the emotion is just right. Love this song so much:drool: :drool: :drool:

It took me two pages to realize this was an old thread. I win!

15. Heartland - The best song on R&H. Period. It's just stunning.

14. Kite - I give this song credit for what's left of my sanity remaining intact. I went through a tough time in my life right around the time ATYCLB came out, and I'd just listen to this song over and over again. It kept me going.

13. Mofo - LIVE!! Holy shit.

12. Indian Summer Sky - I don't even know why I love this one so much. I just do. It's really uplifting to me. I was listening to it on the plane the other day on the way home from Hawaii, and I just started crying. Got to love those spontaneous U2 reactions.

11. Gone - This is the song that really sold me on Pop. It took me awhile to learn to appreciate the album (now it's one of my favorites), but Gone stood out to me immediately. I still think it's fantastic. Oh how I wish they'd bring this one back live...

10. A Sort of Homecoming - The whole Unforgettable Fire album makes me feel like I'm in a whole other place. This is one of my favorites from that album.

10. Red Hill Mining Town - The most underrated U2 song ever, perhaps? I feel like it slips under the radar because of the brilliance that surrounds it on that album. But wow, Bono just sounds incredible on this track.

9. An Cat Dubh - The sexiest song U2 has ever recorded. My favorite from the first three albums combined.

8. Until the End of the World - This song makes me dance in my chair. Every time.

7. The Fly - Particularly the Elevation version. Love love love love love that intro. The song is incredible, and obviously most of you agree since it seems to be in almost everyone's list. Definitely my favorite Edge solo.

6. Running to Stand Still - Haunting and beautiful.

5. The Unforgettable Fire - Again, it's all about the atmosphere with UF. This song feels almost regal to me. It's just huge.

4. Please - You can really feel the ache in this one. The more I listen to it, the more I want to keep listening to it.

3. Bad - Could there be a more perfect song?

2. Where the Streets Have No Name - There's not much to say, really. It's epic. It's still the highlight of any U2 show for me.

1. With or Without You - This will always be my favorite because it's the first song I ever fell in love with. I knew it was special the first time I heard it. It was unlike anything else I had ever heard. It's still unlike anything else I've ever heard. This song started it all for me and I will always, always love it. I couldn't possibly disrespect it by ranking it any lower than #1.

Honorable mentions: One Tree Hill, Last Night on Earth, Stay, Zooropa

It really is like choosing among your own children.

Top thread, keep it alive. Some interesting responses....a joy to read.

15. Do You Feel Loved? - Intriguing, yet understated cog in the U2 canon. One wonders whether it could have been more, but it has a rustic charm that is just too good to overlook. Typically U2, but they have never written a song that creates the same vibe as this one. Very cool, a suave song if such is possible...

14. Please - Lyrically poignant, with a video to match. Plays on one's mind and tugs at one's heartstrings endlessly. It;s just a subtle "musical journey". A sweet wave of gorgeous music.

13. Is That All? - Yeah, just a personal thing. U2 have as good as disowned Is That All? and 99.9% of U2 fans probably hit the stop button as soon as Scarlet finishes. But for me, this song just epitomises coolness. The lyric "Sing this song makes me happy, i'm not happy with you" is just the most remarkable thing I've ever heard from Bono. I would play October just to hear this song. It's got something special about it, and it's in the lyrics and Bono's vocal.

12. Promenade - Short and sweet. The song has something to say and it says it so succinctly. It just gets on with job, and with Bono's soothing vocal the Unforgettable Fire would be a weaker album if this was missing.

11. The Fly - What a song, and what a way to kick off the new U2 of the 90s. What a statement, what a moment, what a means of chopping down the Joshua Tree and all else that preceded the 90s. Delightful guitar solo wedged within a most exciting track.

10. A Celebration - Bit of a laugh. A sensationally feel good song, despite the mention of an atomic bomb and a third world war. Classic 80s video to match as well.

9. The Unforgettable Fire - Most 80's sounding U2 song. Especially intriguing song in regards to lyrics and rhythm. Culd only have appeared on the album of the same name. A sweet listen.

8. Heartland - Just delicious. Chocolate to one's ears. Outstanding song from U2's weakest album. Hasn't been played live, but does it need to be? The studio version is classic enough.

7. Zoo Station - What an opener to U2's greatest album. Love it. "I'm ready for what's next!" This is my own Eye Of The Tiger!

6. New Years Day - Bassline is mesmerising. Amazing live. Use of piano is a lot of fun too, and works well in unison with Bono's discussion-like lyrics and THAT bassline.

5. Beautiful Day - Utterly gorgeous song. Chorus is something special when played live. All four members are on fire here. As someone stated earlier, it simply sounds refreshing.

4. Discotheque - What a shock from Pop! Since when did U2 sound like this? For old school U2 fans, hearing Discotheque for the first time would have been an awesome experience. Love how epic the song is for a first-up single. Cracking opener, with some of U2's most intriguing lyrics

3. Zooropa - Initially slow, but scintillating opener to an album that then loses it's way a bit. Love how upfront the song is lyrically. Uplifting singalong chorus that showcases a vocal from Bono that sounded unique to the period.

2. Where The Streets Have No Name - Good reason why it makes just about everyone's list, cause it's a bloomin' masterpiece. When this song is played live, people feel it through a sixth sense. It's not just the sound of the song that is amazing, but the vibe.

1. Gloria - Just adore it and always have. Don't really know why....it's just the best. Will probably never be dislodged from this position, merely due to my personal sentiment towards the song.

Honourable mentions: An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Out Of Control, A Sort Of Homecoming, Endless Deep, Luminous Times, In Gods Country, One, Ultraviolet, Last Night On Earth, Walk On, Yahweh

Last edited:
15. Zooropa: I love U2’s “concept songs”, and Zooropa is definitely one of them. What a great way to open an album.

14. Heartland: such an underrated song. It perfectly represents U2's 1980s. I love how Bono sings it.

13. City of Blinding Lights: Great, great song live. It’s underrated in my list because of the horrible production in the album version. It just ruins it. Also, the Milan DVD version ruined the “explosion” in the beginning”

12. Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses: though the lyrics are a bit cheesy, imho, I love the melody

11. 40: I just love the melody. Simple and efficient, very U2ish.

10. If You Wear that Velvet Dress: back to the soundscapes that remind me of TUF.

9. With or Without You: R&H version. I wait for the Shine Like Stars verse every time I listen to the song live or in a new bootleg….

8. A Sort of Homecoming: The atmosphere in the song is amazing. The Wide Awake in America version is also wonderful.

7. Stories for Boys: I love the feel of angriness in their early performances. It was great to hear it snippetted in Vertigo.

6. Please: particularly the live versions. The single version is definitely miles ahead of the album version. A truly great song. I don’t like it the acoustic version from Elevation, though.

5. The Electric Co.: The best U2 until TUF was released. What a great song! The improvisations at the end make it great.

4. Where the Streets Have No Name: I’m always amazed by its power live.

3. The Unforgettable Fire: Great intro, great sounds. Different from anything at the time.

2. One Tree Hill: Any of the Point Depot versions, but 1989.12.26 is monumental. Probably the best lyrics, great melody, fantastic intro and the build up to “And when it’s raining, raining hard…” are just perfect.

1. Bad: Live Aid version, R&H version, Lovetown version, Bad > WTSHNN in Elevation tour and, more recently, Bad with the full First Time snippet from Chicago 2005.09.05. I really can’t get tired of it. U2 at its best. The Ruby Tuesday > Sympathy for the Devil snippet is great.

Axver said:

I'll thank you as soon as you comment on my post. :angry:

Sorry Ax! You have very good picks indeed. I like the inclusion of an intsrumental like Bass Trap. The best songs dont always need lyrics and this is one of them.
And we have something in common after all! We both like atmospheric music (I can see that by your UF album picks :wink: ). You just made one mistake : Promenade has to be in the top 15! :drool:

Ooooh these are soooo much fun!

15. In a little while- Best song of the noughties by far. So much soul there. Also includes the best bridge on any U2 song ever
Man dreams one day to fly,
A man takes a rocket ship into the skies,
He lives on a star that's dying in the night,
And follows in the trail, the scatter of light.

:drool: what stunning lyrics. I know people complain about Bono's voice in this one but its meant to be scratchy and coarse. I mean this is a song about a hangover.

14. The first Time- Wow. The story of the prodigal son. So simple and yet so powerful. Live it's just stunning too. I was almost in tears when it was played at Melbourne II on the Vertigo tour. This song is one of the many reasons why Zooropa is a U2 classic. I want it played at my funeral

13. Your Blue Room- Beautiful, trippy atmospheric music. It really transports me to another place. Passengers is worth it just for this little gem alone. It's a shame so much of U2's greatest stuff is so obscure (never played live, never on the radio, not from a well known U2 album) and only the die hard fans will ever get to hear them. Some of Bono's best lyrics too.

12. I still havn't found what I'm looking for- Perhaps not so popular amongst the die hards here. I've even read a few people say it's overated :madspit: but I love it. To think this song was made 20 years ago and its still around getting radio play and being played live. It hasnt dated one iota. This song is classic. So catchy. Great drumming from Lardence.

11. Bad - Wow what a song. So dark and desperate. Bono takes you in to the mind of a heroin addict. Oh my god the wails. Awesome vocals from Bono. Live aid performance is honestly the best live performance I've ever heard, felt sorry for Larry, Adam and Edge towars the end though :wink:

10. With or without you- Another timeless classic. Even people who aren't U2 fans know with or without you and probably love it. Although when it was on that episode of friends it almost spoiled my love for it :barf: The studio version is perfect, not so great live. I think this is mainly because Bono's version on the studio version were just so brilliant it's hard to replicate them in a live setting. With or without you will continue to be played in twenty, thirty years time. Classic classic classic!!!!!!!!!

9. Heartland- I adore U2's atmospheric music. Their ability to conjure up a picture or a place or a scene with just their 4 different instruments is unbelievable. I truly feel like I am in the heartland of America with this one. Simply stunning. Why it was only snippeted in the Rattle and Hum movie I have no idea. Should still be played live :madspit:

8. Running to stand still- So dark and yet so beautiful. If people thought U2 couldnt outdo Bad well they did with this one (only slightly though :wink:) Bono's best lyrics period. The extended Zoo Tv version is unbelieavble. The hallelujahs just bring chills down my spine not to mention how it ends with Bono playing the harmonica getting enveloped in the smoke just before it segues into streets :drool:

7. Lemon - Words can't really describe just how much I love this song. Takes me to another place. The video clip for this song is U2s best ever. I simply adore Bono's falsetto. An experimental masterpiece thats for sure. Midnight is where the day begins :drool:

6. Zooropa- 3 songs in one. Think back to the first time you heard it with that intro. I mean what the hell??!! This song just builds and builds and builds until it outride explodes. I absolutely adore the last two minutes particuarly, where it really kicks in, so cool. Its a shame they didnt try and rework this one to sing live. I reckon with a little retooling this song could have rivalled streets live.

1. Zooropa - It's magic. The lyrics, the music, the experimentation! :combust:

2. Mysterious Ways - Sexy and catchy as any U2 song. One of U2's best live songs.

3. Stay (Faraway, So Close) - Bono's finest hour as a singer/songwriter.

4. Trip Through Your Wires - The most fun U2 has ever had on tape.

5. City Of Blinding Lights - U2's most recent classic. Amazing live. :heart:

6. Wake Up Dead Man - Incredible. Tense. Stunning. Wow.

7. Do You Feel Loved - Bass :drool:

8. Red Hill Mining Town - A simply amazing song.

9. A Sort Of Homecoming - It may be the only truly stunning song on UF, but it IS stunning.

10. So Cruel - The best lyrics Bono has ever penned. Simple as that.

11. Running To Stand Still - Intense.

12. One Tree Hill - Very touching.

13. An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart - An epic masterpiece that betrays their age at the time.

14. Gloria - A fantastic performance. Props to writing a Christian song without anyone noticing. :wink:

15. Stateless - Sexy.

chucky28 said:
No thanks Axver? :sad:

Patience is a virtue. :wink:

chucky28 said:
Sorry Ax! You have very good picks indeed. I like the inclusion of an intsrumental like Bass Trap. The best songs dont always need lyrics and this is one of them.
And we have something in common after all! We both like atmospheric music (I can see that by your UF album picks :wink: ). You just made one mistake : Promenade has to be in the top 15! :drool:

Who would've thought, after the Achtung debates! Promenade very nearly made my list, but Bass Trap just surpasses it for sheer beauty. It's a shame U2 never further pursued the direction of Bass Trap, Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come, and Edge's solo work like Rowena's Theme. I guess Bono would've had nothing to do though.

15. 40-Especially live, it's such a good closer. When I listen to it, it reminds me of the concerts i've been to, when everyone sings along.

14.All I Want Is You-My favorite from Rattle and Hum, it's really simple but it cheers me up whenever I listen to it.

13.Your Blue Room-Beautiful lyrics, I especially like the spoken word part at the end

12.Please-For some reason I wasn't really into this song until I saw the video, now t's in my top 15...it's weird.

11.Wake Up Dead Man-Really haunting, for me it doesn't sound like any other U2 song

10.In God's Country-It's my song with my dad, which is mostly why I like it

9.Tomorrow-This song gives me goosebumps, there's so much emotion in the vocals

8.Bad-Their best live song

7.Promenade-This song sounds to me like it should be in a fairy tale

6.With or Without You-I love everything about this song, especially the lyrics and guitar work at the end

5.Zooropa-Awesome lyrics, love the end when it picks up a little bit

4.The Ground Beneath Her Feet-Again, great lyrics

3.In a Little While-The song has a really soulful vibe and cool guitar

2.Stay-This song is almost perfect, it's haunting and beautiful. Amazing lyrics, vocals, amazing everything is what i'm trying to say

1.Running to Stand Still-Even though this isnt their best song, it's my favorite. Amazing lyrics, love the harmonica. I get chills evrytime I hear this song. There is so much emotion in this song it has made me cry on many occasions.

Sorry some of my explinations aren't very good, most songs I don't really know why I like them, they ust make me feel something.

15. All I Want Is You: A very rare instance of a love song that is not cliched and maudlin. Edge's riff in this one is incredible, as are Bono's vocals towards the end in live versions.

14. Vertigo: My first thought upon hearing this one was, "wow, that's a ferocious bassline." In my mind, this is Adam's finest work.

13. Stuck in a Moment: I can't comprehend why this one gets as much criticism as it does. It has a personal resonance for me, as it was one of the songs that really got me turned on to U2 after years of being a casual fan.

12. Lemon: Unlike anything else in their catalogue; this one borders on avante-garde. Bono's falsetto is excellent, as is the bassline from Adam.

11. Discotheque: I love all of Pop, but this one seems to stand out above all the others. Another incredible riff from Edge.

10. Pride: This one speaks for itself; exemplarly work from Edge's early style and a great chorus.

9. City of Blinding Lights: Another simple yet riveting piano part, and another brilliant, understated lyric from Bono. In my mind, this one worked perfectly as a show opener.

8. New Year's Day: The intensity of this one is immediately tangible, with a great piano part and insistent bassline. Bono's initial scream in live versions is also incredible.

7. Mysterious Ways: The comment from another poster about this one being the ultimate union of sexuality and spirituality is a perfect description. Adam and Larry really outdo themselves on this one, and the riff from Edge is wildly inventive. Mysterious Ways seems to be endlessly more ingenious than the work of any other artists from this time period.

6. Stay: Simply a beautiful song, with an extremely powerful chorus. This one contains the quintessential Edge backing vocal, with the many "ohohohooos."

5. Sunday Bloody Sunday: Impassioned and poignant, and remains so nearly 25 years later.

4. Where the Streets Have No Name: To me, U2 has always been about the agony and the ecstacy, and this song captures both in full force. The guitar intro on live versions never fails to strike me in a very immediate fashion.

3. One: Another lyric that works on several levels; moving in a transcendent fashion.

2. Beautiful Day: This has a personal resonance for me. Another striking lyric that encourages you to persist even when everything seems to be going to hell.

1. With or Without You: The quintessential Bono lyric, with a beautifully understated performance from Edge. It is a shame that this one is so often misunderstood; in my mind it is most certainly NOT about a breakup. I really enjoyed reading about the genesis of this song in U2 By U2.

Alright. This is the hardest list ever. Its already totally different from my last list. 15 songs is not very many.

15 - Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of: I don't know why i love this song. It rolls along and really tears at your heart. Generally nailed by fans, i find this song so beautiful.

14 - Gone: A great rock song. I love the mix from 1990-2000, it gives the song so much power. I love the backing vocals and musically, what i've heard described as the "747 riff".

13 - The Fly: Another top rock song. I love how cynical it is, and apart from Elevation it gets better every tour. I love the fat lady vocals.

12 - One: A great, heart tearing melody. Need i say more?

11 - I Will Follow: Punk rock, fantastic. The screeching guitar intro, the chorus. The bridge - your eyes make a circle....

10 - Bad: U2 at their U2est. I love the lines "True colours fly in blue and black, bruised silken sky and a burning flag". Again its another U2 song that tears at your heart.

9 - Walk On: More U2 heartbreak and yet at the same time it is so reassuring. Even better acoustic.

8 - Please: Pleading, heartbreaking. Its amazing, and is constantly poignant.

7 - Kite: Wow, i didn't realise how much i love these heart wrenching songs. The music, the lyrics. Love.

6 - City Of Blinding Lights: I love how this song builds up, its general vibe and of course the chorus.

5 - Electrical Storm: The music and the chorus. It tugs at your heartstrings.

4 - One Tree Hill: Again, such an emotional song. Written about a local landmark. I downloaded before i was into U2 after a school trip to One Tree Hill and knew it was good.

3 - Where The Streets Have No Name: Wow. The guitar intro, the bass and guitar right through, the organ, the outro.

2 - Stay (Faraway, So Close!): I've never been able to come even close to figuring out why this song is so great and why i love it so much.

1 - Beautiful Day: The song that dragged me into this not insignificant U2 thing. So hopeful, its a great way to lift your spirits or just rock out to.

That was tough. Its like trying to fit the square block in the round hole.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom