U2: 15 to 1 - What You Like and Why You Like It

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
15.The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Really beautiful music, even if the lyric's aren't Bono's.

14.Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Best song on HTDAAB.

13.Kite
Far and away the best song on ATYCLB.

12.Mofo
An overlooked gem. The bass lines and drumbeats, the pure techno-ness of it all, and the sheer soul underneath it all...'mother, am I still your son?"

11.Staring At The Sun
Some of the best lyrics Bono has ever written, over one of the great guitar riffs in the U2 catalog.

10.Until The End Of The World
One of THE live classics of U2's career, with epic lyrics by Bono.

9.The Fly
One of my all-time favorite lyrics, not just in the U2 catalog. The first 90s U2 song anyone ever heard, and the guitar riff still sounds as fresh as can be, not to mention the heart-stopping dual vocal in the chorus(Edge's falsetto and then Bono coming in).

8.Acrobat
The most incredible U2 song never preformed live, save for a few soundchecks during ZooTV. Masterful lyrics, and Edge making some of the most incredible sounds I've ever heard come out of the guitar. And the long final block of vocals/lyrics is one of the great moments in all of U2's music.

7.Ultraviolet
"Baby, baby, baby, light my way", one of the catchiest chorus hooks I've ever heard. Bono shines vocally in this song, and when he and Edge come together for "Ultraviiiiiolet oh oh, Ultraviolet yeah", chills move up and down the spine.

6.If God Will Send His Angels
Not appreciated anywhere near enough, this song does an incredible job of asking questions we all ask, about whether or not there's any sense in believing there is a god or that he cares about us. "does love light up your christmas tree/the next minute you're blowing a fuse/and the cartoon network turns into the news/if god will send his angels/and if god will send a sign/hey if god will send his angels/where do we go?". Finally, the outro of this song, especially on the single version, where Edge keeps repeating 'where do go' over Bono's improvistations, with both of them ending on the adrenaline-pumped 'toniiiiiight', is absolutely take-your-breath-away, perfect pop/rock music.

5.Please(single or live version)
This song does the restrained-yet-deep emotion bit so well it's scary, and from the first "love is big and love is tough" lyric onwards, it is one of the most passionate, exciting, deep, rocky, edgy, brilliant recordings/performances U2 have ever put their name to.

4.Where The Streets Have No Name
The epic organ/guitar into. Every live performance of it ever. Enough said.

3.New Year's Day
Edge's triple-duty(guitar, keyboards, and one of the most well-known backing vocals in U2's catalog) allows him to shine blindingly bright on this classic. Adam's bassline is SO well-known to fans that at the live shows, all he has to do is play the first bass note of the song and everyone in the arena knows what song it is and screams and the top of their longs. The theme of this song is so great...'I will be with you again'...'I will begin again'...'nothing changes on new year's day'.

2.One
Probably the best lyrics Bono ever wrote. So universal, yet so ambigious. Yet all the different meanings they could have all come down to the same thing, that we are all just trying to get through life as best we can, and that we need each other to make it through. Lyrics like that + the legendary 'Edge' guitar riff(the one Craig David ripped off) + the story of how it practically saved the band = masterpiece.

1.With Or Without You
The song that got me into U2. Everything about it is perfect. The lyrics. The theme. The vocals(the climactic OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH thrills me every time). The howling at the end. Another legendary 'Edge' guitar riff. When live, the addition of the 'Shining Stars' verse and/or the insertion of Joy Division's 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' chorus makes a perfect song even better. One of the greatest breakup songs ever. Brilliant.

15. ONE TREE HILL
I find it incredible that this was recorded in one take, and i love the lyrics....especially the third verse

14. STAY (FARAWAY,SO CLOSE!)
Such a relaxed aura to this track.... very atmospheric, one of the best tracks on a brilliant album

13. KITE
Oh man, i remember how i fell for this song back in 2000..... when i was in school i would take a piece of chalk and i wrote 'kite' all over the blackboards, chairs, doors....and on the back of people's marron sweaters in winter!
this song is a masterpiece, hearfelt vocals, edge's guitar punctuates the song perfectly.....

12. ZOOROPA
Six and a half minutes of pure genius, i especially love the part where Bono is singing ' i hear voices....ridiculous voices.....', my favourite song from one of the group's best albums

11. WITH OR WITHOUT YOU
This was the first U2 song i heard...... when i was 6 years old i think, i love the little riff at the end, the one Edge described as one of his favourites

10. CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS
i love the slide guitar on this song, the chorus is instantly addictive and i also love the closing verse

9. I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT IM LOOKIN FOR
Some of the best lyrics from Bono, solid base from Clayton and lovely guitar from Edge.....and Bono at his vocal peak

8. BAD
Took me a while to appreciate this song, but i love it now....outstanding vocals, beautiful guitar....this is an epic to cherish

7. WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME
the build up is sensational.. that opening sequence is one of the most thrilling in U2 history...still gives me goosebumps. all four are absolutely on top form on this track

6. SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN
One of the most heart-wrenching songs the band has done, Bono delivers one of is best vocals ever, and the lyrics are so honest, direct and touching. Great work from Edge, and the way the song builds into that thrilling crescendo......WOW!
This is the only U2 song that has made me cry

5. WALK ON
The intro on the LP version makes my spine tingle, the keyboards are terrific, the solo is one of my personal favourites from Edge...
But it is the single version that for me has made this one of the best songs U2 have ever done, i purchased U2-7 and i swear i have listened to the single version of this song more than 20 times each day for the last 2 months or so...... i think this song has as much longevity as any of the other U2 classics

4. ONE
Outstanding lyrics......and the closing bit from where Edge's guitar kicks in at the end is MINDBLOWING!

3. MIRACLE DRUG
Once again some great lyrics, but the best thing about this song is that solo from Edge, just about the best thing he has ever done.....IMHO. People are gonna remember this one for years to come, i really hope U2 release this as a single.

2. BEAUTFUL DAY
Without a doubt the most antemic and famous U2 song of em' all! this song had the whole world at it's feet back in 2000, it was played everywhere. This was the moment when the world knew U2 WAS BACK!
Unbelievable guitar work by the edge, and i think Bono's vocals are underrated on this song.
Easily the best U2 single ever...... i love this song!

1. UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD
The best lyrics BOno has ever written, the best guitar performance from the Edge. Adam and Larry are solid throughout the song. This is, lyrically and musically, the strongest U2 song!
I'M MAD FER IT!

WHEW......that was tough

15. Running To Stand Still - Best Bono lyrics ever. The atmosphere and the build-up of the song is incredible. A timeless classic I can always return to. Notable mention: live version in Rotterdam, January 5th 1990. A 5:30 version with added lyrics.

There's no way I could come up with a top 15 list, mostly because my favorites shift with my mood, but Running to Stand Still would definitely be near the top. I would love to hear the Rotterdam live version if you (or someone else) would be willing to send it to me (ellemarie@gmail.com). Thanks!

Last edited:
Lauren2554 said:

There's no way I could come up with a top 15 list, mostly because my favorites shift with my mood, but Running to Stand Still would definitely be near the top. I would love to hear the Rotterdam live version if you (or someone else) would be willing to send it to me (ellemarie@gmail.com). Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that Running To Stand Still is from 6 January 1990 rather than the 5th ... I have all four January 1990 Rotterdam gigs, but my discs labelled as the 6th don't work and the RTSS on the 5th and 9th (wasn't played on the 10th) doesn't contain the additional verse. I'm peeved about that, as I'd love to hear that performance again ...

15. Gloria (The voice is so young and innocent, the way
you feel before you run up against the real world.
A pure song)
14. Stuck in a Moment--Beautiful lyrics and melody, hope
in the midst of despair.
13. Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car--wonderfully
creepy song.
12. All Because of You/Love and Peace or Else--seems to
me to be the flip side of the same song. A perfect
Beatles scream in ABOY and perfect John Lennonish
lyrics in Love and Peace or Else. As a John Lennon fan,
I love the influence.
11. Do You Feel Loved. Unadulterated sex.
10. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For--both serious
and playful. An all encompassing song.
9. Pride--fell in love with the Memphis Sky-hi vocal.
8. So Cruel--dark and cynical, dark side of desire.
7. Gone-- Autobiographical, self-assessing
6. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own--the perfect
song for anyone who has a difficult relationship with their
father, the craving for love and understanding on your own
terms, the desire to be loved and appreciated for what you
are, not what the father wants you to be. Full of love and
despair. You know you'll never have the relationship you
want.
5. Vertigo--A different sound to me. How easy it is to
get lost in something that gives you nothing.
4. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses--a great love song to
me. Full of detail, specific, evocative. The complexities
of a relationship. Love that song.
3. Bullet the Blue Sky-- Cynical, wary. The myth against the
perceived reality of America.
2. Acrobat--clever, the twists we all go through--between
our ideals and our behavior.
1. Even Better Than the Real Thing--the vocals are incredible
(although the video makes me dizzy). Perfect mimic of
sexual climax, the fulfillment of desire. Very few musicians
handle sex well. Bono does it perfectly.

Axver said:

I'm pretty sure that Running To Stand Still is from 6 January 1990 rather than the 5th ... I have all four January 1990 Rotterdam gigs, but my discs labelled as the 6th don't work and the RTSS on the 5th and 9th (wasn't played on the 10th) doesn't contain the additional verse. I'm peeved about that, as I'd love to hear that performance again ...

Yes, it is the January 6th performance. My mistake.

How difficult is this?!

Anyway, my list:

15: Dirty Day. A very non-typical 'ZOO' song, but at the same time the very essence of U2 in the early 90's. Excellent on the Sidney show.

14: Stateless. A different sound to U2. Love it.

13: Wake up Dead Man. Up there with with Love is Blindness as best album closer

12: Exit: Best song from the 80's. Simple but great bass again from Clayton.

11: Discotheque: The video, what more can you ask for!

10: Gone: The intro to this song live is tremendous, listen to Clayton!

9:MOFO: I got the same feeling the first time I heard this song a when I first heard The Fly. WTF is this!

8: The Fly. Here comes the 90's..

7: So Cruel. Perhaps the best production of a U2 song. Great drums.

6: Sometimes you Can't Make It on Your Own. 'Its you when I look in the mirror'..

5: Please. I love everything on this song, its as close as you get to perfect, but still no 5...

4:Zooropa. The still get the chills when I hear the intro, it defines U2 in thi period.

3: Lemon: Timeless. Love it. Great video. Got it all.

2: Love is Blindness. What can I say, best album closer, best live closer.

1: Acrobat. Lime many of you, I adore this song.

15. Please
Lyrically amazing - musically touching. One of my favorite songs from Pop.
14. Exit
The darkest side of U2 at a time when they needed to be that dark. An amazing live song as well.
13. Wake Up Dead Man
When I first heard this song I knew it would always make my "Top U2 songs" list. Gorgeous stuff.
12. Bullet The Blue Sky
What can I say??? Saw them perform this one 7 times. Lucky me.
11. Out Of Control
An amazing track...kickass...and in my humble opinion miles above I Will Follow!!!
10. Running To Stand Still
The sad side of U2. This one got me through some rouigh times in the late 80's and everytime I hear it I come close to tears.
9. An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
When I first bought "Boy" this was my favorite song(s). To this day whenever I go back to that album I return to this.
8. I Threw A Brick Through A Window
I just Love this track. Always wish they'd bring it back on some tour...maybe this year.
7. Drowning Man
Sad and hopeful. Possibly one of U2's most beautiful songs.
6. Elvis Presley And America
What can I say??? Many of you hate this song and I just can't see why. In 1985 this was my favorite song of all time. There's lots of heavy stuff contained in this song if only you take the time to explore. One of U2's most challenging songs.
5. The Unforgettable Fire
Still an all time classic. Really wish they'd consider playing it again.
We can only hope I guess.
4. Gone
My favorite song from "Pop". I can never get enough of this one and I really don't even know why - that's the beauty of it.
3. Love Is Blindness
Unbelievable song!!!
2. Tomorrow
This may sound really corny to some out there but this song changed my life. Seriously!!!
1. Bad
Shivers and Goosebumps. Live it really is one of the bands best - hands down - especially a healthy 12 to 15 minute version!!! I would pay $ 50.00 just to see them perform Bad. Nuff said.
P.S. You may be wondering why there are no songs from the new album - well, in the future a couple may make it but for now they are too fresh for me to make up my mind - the few that would be up for consideration...
MD
SYCMIOYO
CFYT
OOTS
SORRY: I can't believe I forgot about Acrobat!!! Again, SORRY!!!!!
Oh my God...this is my second "edit"...I forgot 11 O'CLOCK TICK TOCK as well. This is too hard.

Last edited:
chucky28 said:
Axver, you never did that exercise...you are due now! Tell us your top 15! :wink:

:lol: When I saw how old the original post was, I thought "crap, I hope I didn't reply to this thread because my list would be wildly out of date now!" I'll provide a decent answer when it's not 2am and I'm about to collapse into bed.

And someone will have to resurrect this thread in 2009 just so I can see how out of date my list is then. :wink:

@djerdap and @missbecky...i really like your descriptions...
its good to see that many people here adore the real good U2 songs like ACROBAT, THE FLY, UTEOTW etc. that much :up: :rockon:

OK I give in...

15.) Zoo Station - I cant get enough of this song, never gets old

14.) Elevation - Mostly just the live version from the tour of it's name

13.) Gloria - "Gloooooooooooooooooriiiiiiaaaaaaa". Bass Solo, Young Brash U2, nuff said

12.) An Cat Dubh - "Yo ho ho ho hooooooo", nuff said

11.) New Year's Day - The best job of everyone in early U2

10.) Sunday Bloody Sunday - This is classic U2 stuff

9.) Until the End of the World - Love the riff and the perspective of Jesus from Judas' eyes

8.) All Because of You - That song through me back in the chair when I first heard it

7.) Gone/Last Night On Earth - The two best off of Pop, great lyrics both. I relate these two closely so that's why they are together

6.) City of Blinding Lights - Watching this on the Chicago DVD reminded me why I like U2 so much.

5.) Beautiful Day - Like a glass of cold water on a warm day...refreshing

4.) Mysterious Ways - Just like Zoo Station, I can't get enough of this song. I like the Zoo TV extended version a lot more too.

3.) The Fly - The Edge at his best. A very dark song, but very rocking. I like the Vertigo version the best.

2.) One Tree Hill - So much power in this song "you run like the river, to the sea". Very good vocal performance

1.) Where the Streets Have No Name - Let's face it, it is the best U2 song. One of the best songs ever, actually.

This thread was due a resurrection…

In fact, seeing as my last list was practically illegible, I may compose a new one. :wink:

Although, I’ve just noticed that this thread is now, ever so slightly, superfluous to needs. :sad:

Last edited:
jacobus said:
@djerdap and @missbecky...i really like your descriptions...
its good to see that many people here adore the real good U2 songs like ACROBAT, THE FLY, UTEOTW etc. that much :up: :rockon:

It´s pretty incredible how much my list is now different. The Fly and Acrobat are now indisputably no.1 and no.2 :drool:

OK let's keep this going...

15 The Fly - What can be said about this? Edge's greatest solo...

14 Wake Up Dead Man - The studio version is a masterpiece of atmospherics and instrumentation.

13 Running to Stand Still... gorgeous on the album, and the 01-01-90 Point Depot version, with Dirty Old Town at the end, is even better. Some of Bono's best lyrics and a rare instance of third-person writing.

12 Discotheque - One of their best, again with some of Bono's sharpest writing. The 9/20/05 performance is one of U2's greatest ever.... so maybe this should be lower on my list?

11 Even Better Than the Real Thing - The perfect song about sex. And the kinkiest guitar solo ever.

10 Tomorrow - A truly perfect recording. Sounds like nothing else in the catalogue, before or since. First example of Bono's brilliant "outro" vocal improv...

9 Pride - Not always great, but the album version, and then the incredible Rattle and Hum performance, are immortal.

8 Streets - Possibly the most relentlessly energetic yet uplifting thing ever written. Even though I have no idea what the lyrics mean.

7 SYCMIYO - Flawless, shameless songwriting. It took me a while, but when I got this song, I really got it. It's the most played song in my life, according to iTunes. The falsetto chorus is breathtaking.

6 Acrobat

5 Ultraviolet - One of the very few U2 songs that must be played at ludicrous volume every time.

4 Bad

3 Exit/Gloria - the Rattle and Hum version. Enough said.

2 With or Without You - "The second-most heartbreaking ballad ever," in the words of one recent reviewer.

1 One - studio version - live, it is gorgeous; in the original version, it is the greatest thing pop music has ever produced. A miracle.

But what about Lemon, One Tree Hill, Zooropa, Red Hill, Sunday Bloody Sunday? I dunno. Fifteen songs... I did my best...

15. The Unforgettable Fire – Sometimes it can sound a bit dated, but I love the lyrics. COBL could be here as well on some days.

14. Running To Stand Still – Bono’s aching voice against the soft tones from Edge and then wrapped up with forlorn harmonica. Beautiful.

13. One Tree Hill – What a riff, what an ending; but most of all, what a line “I’ll see you again, when the stars fall from the sky”

12. Vertigo – It was over played, but it’s just too much fun. I can really appreciate the sheer joy U2 seem to get from playing this song.

11. OOTS – Beautiful, and I love the fact that Edge’s guitar work isn’t over shadowed by the piano.

10. Bad (Live) – U2 at their most anthemic. What’s not to like?

9. Please – Love the guitars, but when that song hits its climax… wow.

8. Zoo Station – This is the metro cousin to the rural Red Hill Mining Town. Edge blurs the line between audio and vision as sound conveys motion.

7. Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses – Is this just a five minute long Edge solo with Bono singing over it? Those guitars, especially in the Temple Bar version, are beyond perfect.

6. Red Hill Mining Town – Bono’s at his strongest lyrically here for me. I love it when he’s not so much writing about someone or something, as he is painting a picture. You can almost see the little town tucked into the rural landscape as the sun goes down. You can feel the history of the place.

5. All I Want Is You – Edge’s song through and through. Yes, Bono’s voice is excellent, but from the opening sedated riff, to the wild ending, Edge couldn’t have been better.

4. Electrical Storm (band version)– I know, I know, this one shouldn’t really be here, right? It was a throwaway song on the back of a compilation. But I just can’t get enough of it. It’s a quintessential rock song, but done by U2. I love the hard guitars, and lyrically I think it’s the best Bono has done since Achtung Baby.

3. Beautiful Day – A song of sheer daylight. It’s loud and big and bright. A perfect signal to the fans that U2 has left the darkness behind.

2. Streets – What can you say about this song that hasn’t been said? Maybe quoting my mom when she first heard it?? “What’s with all those bells.” “Those aren’t bells, mom. That’s a single guitar.” “Wow.”

1. WOWY- This is the song that hooked me, even though I’d been familiar with U2 since '83. But this minimalistic masterpiece with the driving base, echoing guitars, simple drums and ethereal vocals brought them home and music for me had never been the same. There is no other song like this song and even U2 themselves couldn’t duplicate it if they wanted to. Pure lightning in a bottle. And even in that most unminimalistic of places, an areana, this song translates wonderfully. That Rattle & Hum version with the solo, the spead up bpm, and the stars line at the end... Can a single song form a two way tie?

Honorable Mention: Sometimes – I truly love this song, but because it makes me so sad as I lost my dad to cancer at the same time it was released, I can’t listen to it much.

I'm a newish U2 fan and a writer so I compiled my list as much on lyrics and context as much as pure rock and roll. Here goes.

15. Elevation – pure, silly, thumping rock and roll. “A mole, digging in a hole, digging up my soul now, going down, excavation. My, oh, my in the sky, it makes me feel like I can fly – El-A –VA-TION!”

14. Until the End of the World – the first time I heard this was U2’s Rock Hall performance. Wow.

13. Love is Blindness – smoky, sultry, the Bono no longer with us. And the Edge, enough said.

12. Fast Cars – the opening Bono cry, Edge’s flamenco-esque guitar work. I really wish they’d release this in the U.S. I can listen to this over and over.

11. Where the Streets Have No Name – Edge’s opening guitar work is a classic musical moment of our time – akin to the opening riff of Layla. Plus, this song evokes persona images of Japan (where I very quickly learned there are no street signs. At least ones I could read.)

10. Still Haven’t Found – the first time I heard Bono sing this was on his trip to Africa with Paul O’Neill. They were listening to a group of African children perform it and all of sudden Bono began singing it. Gorgeous moment. And of course, the spiritual meaning is inherent. The live version on Rattle and Hum is amazing, too.

9. The Saints Are Coming – at the risk of universal scorn, I include this because it is so symbolic of New Orleans, it rocks out, and who can resist, “I cried to my daddy on the telephone, how long now?” And the Edge’s guitar work is terrific.

8. One Tree Hill – lovely melody and beautiful lyrics, plus it has great meaning to the band.

7. Gone – The Edge. And the lyrics – “you’ve changed your nane, but that’s okay, it’s necessary.” Which is ironic, given that Bono and the Edge have both taken on noms des plumes (or vox…)

6. Walk On – the album version, I don’t think this sounds very good live. It’s a song about a great leader of our age, plus the lyrics are stunning. “You’re packing a suitcase to a place none of us have been – a place that has to be believed to be seen” meaning heaven, which gives the song a wonderful double meaning.

5. Sometimes You Can’t Make It – I lost my dad when I was 14, the same age as Bono. It’s remarkable that he has the strength to sing it. I always tear up when he sings, “A house is not a home – don’t leave me here alone.”

4. Stuck in a Moment – I’ve lost friends to suicide and have had my own issues over the years with depression. This is another song that always moves me to tears. And Edge’s falsetto is wonderful.

3. New Year’s Day – I heard this song for the first time on New Year’s Day 2005, when I was driving throught snow to a family brunch. The connection with Solidarity is particularly meaningful. And the video is a hoot.

2. New York – As an ex-New Yorker, I have to say they hit the bullseye. The opening riff is so cool, and the line, “In New York, summers get hot, well into the hundreds, you can’t walk around the block without a change of clothing” is absolutely on target.

1. In A Little While – my U2 song. When I heard this on AYCLB, I played it back four times. Edge’s guitar on the intro is the most beautiful thing he's ever done. And the lyric, “When the night takes a deep breath, and the daylight has no end” describes every late night into morning that I’ve ever had. “Slow down my beating heart” -- how can a girl not swoon hearing that?

In no order except no. 1

40 - no, not the live version. The album version, I like the "how long to sing this song" chorus and the bass line is moving. The first classic album closer for U2.

Pride - I think the first time U2 really touched upon eternity in their music, and they never bettered it live. Spectacular vocals too.

Bad - typical Edge minimalistic style, and arguably Bono at his best vocally.

RTSS - one of their most beautiful songs, period. They really get the US sound they were looking for.

WOWY - the mother of U2 love songs, and still the best one. Perfect studio magic happening.

UTEOTW - possibly the song where all members are at their best, especially live. With the next song, the closest they ever got to the monumental opening 3 songs on JT.

One - the break up, but in reality the saving song for the band. After Pride and WOWY, another "eternity" studio take and one of the very few U2 songs that never get tiring.

Stay - would be my favourite U2 love song if it wasn't for WOWY. In particular I like Edge's guitar and the vocal.

The First time - U2's quieter moments can be their best and this is a prime example. Piano and guitar and the hushed rhythm section complement the lyrics perfectly.

Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me - yes, U2 can rock. Bono's best lyric after - and since - AB, and a strong riff.

Gone - the highlight off its album. Another example where all members of U2 shine live.

Stateless - with HMTMKMKM their best non-abum song for me. The James Bond-ish intro, an ethereal yet U2 song all the way if that makes sense.

Kite - the "classic" sound formula can work. Another piece of studio magic captured, led on by a great vocal take.

OOTS - ironic that the best U2 pop song isn't on the official U2 pop album. Chanelling Lennon and McCartney but still making it their own with Edge's soaring guitar.

(no. 1) So Cruel - sounds like a mini opera, from the lyrics, to the vocal to the strings. Beautiful.

15. Indian Summer Sky; Raw, dynamic, hardly pauses for breath

14. Acrobat - Seems to me a song about being disillusioned and jaded, love edge's solo:cool:

13. All Because Of You - A humble song, a homage song; like Bono looking about and asking 'how did I get here?' which I like a lot

12 The Ground Beneath Her Feet - A song of pleading and obsession, v. haunting. Adore 'let me love you let me rescue you, let me bring you where two roads meet, oh come back above where there is only love' BEAUTIFUL!

11. New Year's Day - I can't stand New Year, so this song is very true to the way most people feel about it.

10. With Or Without You - A supreme rock ballad, Bono's first outing as a HonkyTonk Gypsy, what's not to like? :love:

9. Staring At The Sun - The Guitar, Bono's voice, it's a v. relaxing song

8. Kite - Beautiful, heart-rending stuff, isn't very good when you're down but for some reason it always pops in your head

7. Bullet The Blue Sky - Raw, enraged, unapolegetic, Bono at his huskiest - still can't get the elevation tour effort out of my head What's my name? MARK CHAPMAN! :ohmy:

6. MLK - wonderful, beautiful lament that I wish was longer. Does Anyone else wonder if they Okayed for Donnie Darko that this would have been Xmas no.1?

5. Running To Stand Still - One of the best accoustics ever made

4. Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses I love this; the intro, the lamenting, regret, pain, pouring of the heart

3. Wire - Another rampant raging classic

2. Where The Streets hav No name - Good God how many times did I play this, the intro, the outro it's one of a kind

1. The Fly - The leather, the goggles, the absolute primal masculinity, Edge's Solo i WORSHIP EDGE'S SOLO!!

:edge: :edge: :edge:

in no real order at all

15 - elevation (slane) bonos wooahhhh at the start, straight into the song full band from the influx mix, way better than vertigo tour

14 - The electric co (chicago) deffinately a good idea bringing back this songfor vertigo tour, edge = :combust:

13- lemon into with or without you (sydney) yeah it maybe two songs but i just love the seemless transition

12- zoo station (sydney) - seems that bono didnt take himself too seriously during the intro

11 - dirty day - slow song building up to an allout crazy wah solo

10 - SBS (R&H dvd) the whole irish immigrant speech, better than an africa speech

9 - Your Blue Room - "Zooming in, Zooming Out, Nothing I cant do without..." :drool:

8- the unforgettable fire (song) - magical, shimmering music and maybe one of bonos best vocal performances

7 - Surrender (red rocks) dont really know why, i just love it! maybe its the errieness of the lap steel

6- a celebration, the most catchiest chorus ever! (SHAKE! SHAKE!)

5- new years day (mexico popmart) great sounding bass and keyboards

4- the ocean - nice slow song to relax to for about 1 min 40secs

3- gloria - being a bassist, this is one of my faves due to the busy bassline and solo

2- the fly (elevation version) first time iv ever heard the fly live. imo, the higher guitar key makes the song more powerful

1- streets from tempe, AZ (R&H dvd) pure adrenilin rush when the camera hovers over the stadium when the floodlights are switched on

only 15? :sad: :sad:

Last edited:
nice thread :up:

1. even better than the real thing
this is just the perfect U2 song. i love the bass-driven beat, the guitar solo, and bono's voice just sounds perfect in this song. this song, to me, is quintessential zoo-era U2.
2. seconds
it's all about the bass. this is an awesome song to blast in the car and rock out to.
3. 11 o'clock tick tock
i think i might be one of the few people who, when they say they like this song, they're referring to both the live and studio version. i love the guitar on both versions. edge explorer = :drool:
4. discotheque
awesome, awesome song. i absolutely love this song to pieces. (and i try to forget the "new mix") love the guitar, love everything about it. boom chas ftw.
5. a day without me
easily my favourite early U2 song. i love the guitar in the song.
6. heartland
the best song on rattle and hum, without a doubt. it's a great song.
7. the fly
looooove this song. achtung baby deserves two spots in my top 10 because it's an awesome album. this is the song that really made me a U2 fan back when this album first came out.
8. promenade
this is a very minimal song, but it's very beautiful.
9. the unforgettable fire
this should probably be tied as #8, because i practically consider the two songs to be one long song, but oh well. the vocals are very powerful, and the music is top notch.
10. where the streets have no name
some might consider this song to be tired or overrated, but i still love this song. i love the guitar intro and outro, edge really gets to shine here. to think that that's one man, with one guitar, playing all that, it's just amazing.
11. lady with the spinning head (extended dance mix)
U2's best b-side ever. U2's best remix ever. the standard version is okay, but it's in the edm where this song really stands out. it just sounds so much better, and the song doesn't seem too long at all like some remixes can.
12. big girls are best
this song cracks me up, plus it's so un-atyclb. and yes, i'm well aware of the fact that it's really not from atyclb. the song sounds so different from everything else from that album, and the music is really good.
13. city of blinding lights
yeah this song has been called streets lite and things like that, but i still like it. it was also an amazing song to see and hear live.
14. another day
wake up! this is another great early song. it's often forgotten about i think because it wasn't on an album, and it has a dreadful b-side.
15. surrender
another great song off the war album. i love the steel guitar effect on this song.

15. Vertigo
May seem ridiculous, but the fact that I've played it eleventy billion times and have yet to tire of it must mean something.

14. Mercy
Yes, really. There is something magical about this song.

13. One
Used to be my favourite U2 song... I admit I don't listen to it much now, but sometimes the album version comes on shuffle, or a particularly good live performance, and I remember why I loved it so much. simple and beautiful.

12. Where the Streets Have No Name
It's a classic for a reason. Possibly the most uplifting song ever.

11. Zooropa
"What do you want?" More songs like this, please! Love the trippy intro and of course the way the song halfway through.

10. Beautiful Day
Again, classic for a reason. Very uplifting, and I have many memories attached to this song.

9. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
One of the best endings to a song ever. Words cannot describe.

8. Walk On
Well it's a bit of a surprise, but when I really think about it, I really love this song. It's amazingly uplifting.

7. The Fly
I may have overdosed on The Fly a bit with all the Vertigo tour boots and what not, but this is definitely one of U2's best. Guitar riff and lyrics especially, and one of Edge's best solos.

6. Discotheque
This is the song that got me into U2. Can't love it enough.

5. Gone
I can identify with this song a lot. Bono at his best, great rhythm section, innovative guitar... typical of Pop.

4. Mofo
The ending of Mofo is some of the best recorded music ever. This track is so aggressive and unlike anything else U2 has ever done.

3. Acrobat
This song is my life or something. It's all my anger and frustration and despair and hope all in one. Everyone in the band is in top form - great bass, killer drums, some of Bono's best lyrics, and definitely some of Edge's best guitarwork. The solo is incredible.

2. With or Without You
I've come to appreciate the simplistic beauty of the studio version more and more... I love the extra "stars" verse live, but I wouldn't change a thing about the studio version. I love the way the volume slowly increases as the song builds up. This is simply one of the greatest songs ever written. One of the extraordinary things about it is I think everyone can identify with it, because everyone has felt that way about someone before, whether it be a lover, friend, parent, whoever. I simply can't express how much I love this song. It has a magic about it that little else can touch.

1. Do You Feel Loved
I know what you're thinking - am I crazy? I probably am, but for the past two years or so this song has been the most played on both iPods I've owned. I'm not quite sure what it is - the bassline, the seemingly endless layers of sound, or perhaps the fact that I've been listening to this song since I was nine... for some reason, I can never get tired of this song. There is never a time when I think "nah, I'm not really in the mood for that song."

there are many honorable mentions - OOTS, New York, In a Little While, Fire, I Will Follow, Stay, If God, Until the End, Summer Rain, etc. etc.

1. Beautiful Day - The video made me say holy :censored: they still have "it" and Bono sounds amazing. I love the lyrics of "see the world in green and blue ...........and all the colors came out!

2. I Will Follow - First song I ever heard on college radio and thought OMG who is that, I love it and wanted to hear much more! At the time, the song was very punk like and I was so into that then.

3. The Fly - Because of the Elevation version this quickly became a favorite. Saw it in a whole new light.

4. The End of the World - Edges guitar, enough said.

5. Stay - The lyrics and melody are beautifully romantic. One of their most romantic songs and not in the boy/girl relationship aspect.

6. If You Wear that Velvet Dress (Jools Holland) - Bonos voice smokes and has different ranges in this song, basically its smokin.

7. New Years Day - The first video I ever saw of this young band and didn't just love them but fell in love with them and have been following them ever since. The lyrics are almost story like in the sense that you can imagine the what they are about in your mind.

8. Running to Stand Still - After ZooTV seeing this song performed 2x on that tour, it instantly became a favorite, its raw and spine tingling.

9. Walk On - IMO this is the ultimate pick me up off the floor song.
Favorite lyric...a singing bird in open cage, who will only fl, only fly for freedom...walk on.

10.Levitate - Religious, mysterious, love it. Sadly, only hardcore fans probably know about this song.

11.Mysterious Ways - Instantly one of my favorites, spiritually and erotic all at once. I think thats what they were aiming for and hit the nail on the head with MW.

12.All Because of You - I just think this is one rocking song up there with Elevation, Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights. In the middle of the song Bono screams out like hes having the time of his life-love it.

13.Kite -One of the saddest songs U2 has ever written. I always say I love his voice and the acoustic guitar. I would like to have this played at my funeral as crazy as that may sound. :huh:

14.The Ground Beneath Her Feet - I love the words to this song and when sung with just the guitar Bono makes it his own. The words and the way it is sung is riveting. Has a little eerie quality.

15.Sunday Bloody Sunday - All I can say on this one is that Larrys drumming draws me right in. The very beginning of the song is amazing. It almost starts off like it is the end of the song. I especially love the Elevation version of it, the long humming on Bonos part in the beginning. :drool:

Last edited:
chucky28 said:
You can thank me for making this thread alive again :wink:...AXVER, your turn dammit!

I'm getting to it! :wink:

15. Bass Trap
It was hard to choose a fifteenth. Luminous Times, Promenade, and The Electric Co. were strong contenders, but I had to go with Bass Trap. This is one of the most gorgeous instrumentals I have ever heard in my life and I wish U2 had pursued this path more. It shimmers beautifully and is rich in rejuvenating, fresh, and ethereal atmosphere.

14. God Part II
This song is amazing. It's lyrically powerful, Bono provides a stirring and emphatic delivery, Edge really is on fire here, Adam's bassline sustains the intensity, and Larry gives his best demonstration of his drumming ability since the War album. I wish he played like this more often instead of descending into his usual dull, formulaic zone.

13. Gloria
Pride may get all the praise as the quintessential anthemic song, but I think it is outdone by Gloria. Gloria has so much more than Pride: Latin lyrics, a bass solo, and the most rousing conclusion to a song that U2 has ever made.

12. The Fly
The Edge at his finest. The guitar solo in this is absolutely scorching, and it is complemented by some of the best lyrics Bono has ever written. And the best part? It's even more of a scintillating monster live!

11. Spanish Eyes
OK, this should not only have been on The Joshua Tree, but should have been a high profile single. Edge's trademark chiming sound is at its best here, the song is catchy as all hell, and Bono throws himself into a stirring vocal delivery. Why this was a b-side is beyond my comprehension.

10. Wild Irish Rose
This is one of the most richly atmospheric tracks U2 has ever made and it deserved an official release. It conjures up a rich Irish tapestry for a soundscape, and its lyrics are some of Bono's most poetic. The delivery makes the song all the more hauntingly beautiful.

9. Gone
I'm talking about the New Mix here. I'm not quite sure why people prefer the original mix. I feel that in the New Mix, Edge's siren guitar has an even stronger intensity, and it really makes the song grab your attention. This was one of the three U2 songs (live versions of Bad and 11 O'clock Tick Tock being the other two) that took me beyond the level of casual fan. It's scorching and a true U2 classic.

8. Acrobat
When Bono wants to write good lyrics, the man can really deliver the goods. The hypocrisy and contradictions exposed in Acrobat are powerful, and are perfectly complemented by some of the band's darkest music. From the beginning of the song through Edge's song to the cathartic outro, this song borders on being the perfect rock track.

7. New Year's Day
Some say this song belongs to Adam Clayton, and indeed, the distinctive bass riff is some of his best work. But I feel this song is all Edge's. I am not only in awe of his ability to seamlessly switch from piano to guitar repeatedly in live performances, but in the actual construction of the solos: they are proof of how effective minimalism can be when properly executed. The entire song has a soaring, epic, almost transcendent feel.

6. A Sort Of Homecoming
Words fail me to describe this song. There is something amazingly stirring about it, especially the intro, first verse, "no spoken words, just a scream", and the final lines. It is a true U2 classic, full of atmosphere. Damn. This song is a perfect illustration of why this band is great.

5. Heartland
And if anything can be said to top ASOH, it is Heartland. Bono's lyrics paint vivid impressions in the listener's mind - in no other song has he been so poetically descriptive. Edge's ringing guitar and the atmospherically rich outro enhance the scene. U2 truly do this part of the world justice - perhaps more than it deserves!

4. Where The Streets Have No Name
Do I really even need to say anything? The intro is, hands down, some of the best music ever crafted by anyone. The way in which it builds and unfurls itself is pure brilliance, and the rest of the song delivers the goods promised by the buildup.

3. Bad
This is the essence and the zenith of minimalism. Not even a minimalistic solo a la New Year's Day in sight here, and yet Edge creates a guitar piece more powerful than most musicians could wish to achieve. All of the parts combine effectively to create a song that is nothing short of a masterpiece.

2. The Unforgettable Fire
I've been raving about atmosphere all through this post, and this song may just take the cake as the winner in the atmosphere stakes. It sucks the listener in and toys with the imagination, sculpting mysterious, dark soundscapes. This song is nothing less than a work of art, and one that captivates both the imagination and the emotions.

1. One Tree Hill
U2's best song ever. Bono has written many great lyrics, but none quite on this level, synthesising Christian and Maori beliefs, social commentary, and the mourning process. Greg Carroll received the highest of tributes with this song.

And when it's raining, raining hard
That's when the rain will break my heart

That is the single most emotional moment in U2's career. Bono's voice seems on the verge of collapsing into grief. There is nothing else quite as moving as this song.

AtomicBono said:

14. Mercy
Yes, really.

You think people are surprised this made your top 15? I'm surprised it didn't make it on more. If this were a top 20 thread, It'd be on mine for sure; probably at 17. The "Bad" of the new millenium. Joy wrapped in darkness. "40" all grown up. I wish this hadn't been cut from HTDAAB, hearing this one live would have been absolutely amazing.

Hmmm, just for the hell of it:

20. Yahweh - an epic, sweeping song. Lyrically it's the strongest of the Bomb album and the Unforgettable Fire-era guitar is absolutely perfect.
19. Ultraviolet - One of the best choruses Bono's ever written, preluded by a perfect intro and all held together with a killer rhythem guitar. It'd have been higher if it could have really taken off live.
18. The Fly - I remember first hearing this video. Yeah, hearing. MTV was on in the living room and I was in the kitchen. I heard the heavy opening notes; band unkown. Then here comes Bono's voice. I sprint into the living room. I was agast, astounded, and exctied; in that order. All the rules had changed.
17. Mercy - See above
16. COBL - Streets-lite? Nah. Maybe Streets-ultraviolet lights. Another song where Edge translates sound into vision; blinking & swirling iridescent lights, blured tail lights speeding down dark streets, a glowing metropolis at the end of the world.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me - yes, U2 can rock. Bono's best lyric after - and since - AB, and a strong riff.

Switch this for All I want is you. Another love song, more hopeful and less bittersweet than usually for U2. The riff in the chorus is vintage Edge, and he owns this song. His solo matches Bono's "All I want is you" cries at the end, and the strings close this beautifully.

Back
Top Bottom