Two Thoughts on ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

In A Little While is only saved by the "a man takes a rocketship" verse, otherwise it would be bland, aimless crap.

I hate to say this, but I really don't think you've had any real romance in your life. I don't care that this song is supposedly written about Bono's daughter (or whatever). It is simply one of the sexiest songs they've ever done - not just the lyrics (or the throaty-vixen voice Bono sings them in) - the music is definately made for slow-dancing foreplay. Makes me wish the song was much longer (much MUCH longer....)

goat

rivergoat said:

I hate to say this, but I really don't think you've had any real romance in your life. I don't care that this song is supposedly written about Bono's daughter (or whatever). It is simply one of the sexiest songs they've ever done - not just the lyrics (or the throaty-vixen voice Bono sings them in) - the music is definately made for slow-dancing foreplay. Makes me wish the song was much longer (much MUCH longer....)

goat

"slow-dancing foreplay" = redundant

OnFire said:
Further, I don't think HTDAAB will have the same impact as ATYCLB. That isn't to say it's better or worse or that it won't be a success but they're different albums at different times with different stakes involved.

I think you touched on something important here. ATYCLB was very much an album that was enhanced by what was going on in the world when it was released (and shortly thereafter). I think that in many respects, thematically, it felt like a healing album; one that you would listen to in times of stress or difficulty in your life. It's soothing in that respect, and can be both sympathetic and uplifting.

I can't quote specific numbers or anything, but I know that many of the songs from ATYCLB were used prominently by DJs after September 11th, and so, as unsavory as it is, I think that ATYCLB owes some of its success to that.

That said, I think HTDAAB will owe some of its success to U2's return to prominence after the success of ATYCLB, but at the same time, it will find its own place and will ultimately be judged on its own merits.

ATYCLB, in my opinion, is one of the most important albums U2 has ever released. The success of ATYCLB is what provided the band with the platform for their current success with the Bomb. Imagine if ATYCLB was a commercial failure...the band may have counted two crap albums (in their minds) and called it quits. The grammies, radio play, media exposure, etc... the band received from ATYCLB should not be understated.

ATYCLB was released almost a year ahead of 9/11 and it did very good even before that. It sold 7 millions by the end of 2000 and by far, Beautiful day was the most succesful single.

To say it owes anything to 9/11 is untrue. Sure, in the US maybe, but not rest of the world.

Kite is amazing! I think that song was written in part for Bonos daughters, not In A Little While which I've always believed was written about Ali, following a drunken night out. 'When I come crawling home, will you be there?'

I may be wrong, but I think it started out as a song for his daughters, inspired by when he took them out for the day with their kite (which then became a metaphor for them - 'who can say where the wind will take you?') But then the theme took on another meaning live, when Bono dedicated to his Dad.

U2girl said:

ATYCLB is heavily overbashed here. The first 6 songs are one of U2's strongest first half of album ever. While the second half is weaker, Wild honey and New York don't get enough credit IMO.

I couldn't agree more...I've always said the same thing...absolutely amazing!

rivergoat said:
I don't care that this song is supposedly written about Bono's daughter (or whatever). It is simply one of the sexiest songs they've ever done - not just the lyrics (or the throaty-vixen voice Bono sings them in) - the music is definately made for slow-dancing foreplay. Makes me wish the song was much longer (much MUCH longer....)

goat

:yes:. I've always seen it as a really sweet love song for a couple, anyway, myself.

Also, "Kite" is a great song, too. And as for the whole "Beautiful Day"/"One Tree Hill" debate-yeah, "One Tree Hill" has amazing lyrics, no doubt about that. And it's definitely a good song. But I like "Beautiful Day", too. I remember one day recently I heard that song in the car, and it was just sounding so good then, sounded just right with the setting I was in and everything, and I just had a lot of fun listening to that one.

Angela

One Tree Hill is excellent, but I love the whole "lift-off" feel of Beautiful Day and the crescendo at the end is superb...and thats not mention the inspired mid-section!

U2girl said:
ATYCLB was released almost a year ahead of 9/11 and it did very good even before that. It sold 7 millions by the end of 2000 and by far, Beautiful day was the most succesful single.

To say it owes anything to 9/11 is untrue. Sure, in the US maybe, but not rest of the world.

U2girl, I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that it owes all or even most of it's success to the post 9/11 period. All I am saying is that it took on a different resonance after that day, and it became a different album than it was prior to that.

I don't think anyone can argue that many DJs and television producers, etc. adopted it as an anthem for the post-9/11 world (and please don't misinterpret me -- when I say "world", I mean in the humanitarian sense of the word).

I'm well aware that it was very successful during it's first year of release.

Beautiful Day is good, but i think "One Tree Hill" is a masterpiece. That rhythmic guitar hook of OTH and Adam's bass line are U2 at its best. Of course Larry and Bono complete it.

Guiding light

Beautiful Day will always have a place in my heart. Always.

The first time I listened to ATYCLB, I was sitting on the beach at Santa Monica, LA, watching a kite in the air as the sun set over the western horizon. I'd just broken up with a girl I'd been in love with for too long, and had flown 10'000 miles to realise my mistake. I was now waiting for my flight back to Australia. I'd been stuck in LA for three days due to delays and missed flights since I'd left Tennesse, with only five bucks in my pocket, a few food coupons the airline had provided me and no luggage (it was lost, nowhere to be found). I had a broken heart and an empty wallet, and an ocean of uncertainty before me.

Somehow I had managed to convince a record store to transfer the cd I'd bought earlier that week, when I still had a few bucks and a clean change of clothes, onto cassette so I could listen to it on my walkman.

It was magical. It sat beside me like an old friend I hadn't seen in years. It put an arm around me and comforted me. It suited my mood, my situation, perfectly. It was as though U2 had written this album just for me, for me alone. It spoke to my soul.

A few years later, ATYCLB still holds its magic for me. I think the tracklisting is all wrong, and the second half of the album is an anti-climax, and New York is an average song much better live, but I love ATYCLB's imperfections as much as its perfections. It's a perfect record for its few mistakes, and really, they're minor ones, and what ATYCLB does well, it does spectacularly well. Perhaps if Walk On had have been the second-last track, followed by Grace, it would have become perfect. And because of this imperfection, ATYCLB is perfect.

p.s. Someone mentioned the airport imagery. I have to agree, it is so poignant. I've always felt my soul stir every time I see photography of someone standing at an airport, a train terminal, a crossroads. Anton deserves some kind of spectacular award for his ATYCLB photography; ANTON CORBIJN is the unofficial fifth member of U2!

Uncertainty can be our guiding light :heart:

p.p.s Last year, at Extreme Karaoke at The Laundry, Johnston St Melbourne, I sang Beautiful Day and won the Rock God Award. I'd like to thank Bono for those sweeping-the-microphone-stand-backwards to the beat moves, they worked a treat. :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom