Two Shots of Happy, One Shot Of Sad: Frank Sinatra or Tom Waits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iron Chef MoFo

The Fly
Yeah, I know it's supposed to be Bono's attempt a writing a Sinatra song, but is it just me or does it REALLY sound like an early (Closing Time -> Swordfishtrombones) Tom Waits song? Apart from the few string flourishes it just seems to have the feel of a Waits tune - the jazz quartet base, melancholic, boozy lyrics, the "sour" notes, very understated, like a barstool confession... As vague as this sounds, it just "feels" like a Waits song to me.

And it also seems to lack the "punchiness" of a Sinatra tune. No scat, no "doo-bee-doo's", no jumping up and down his vocal range.

Thumbing through my copy of U2: The Rolling Stones Files, I noticed Bono's personal Top 10 albums included Waits' Rain Dogs (in the "he should have been Irish category"), so clearly there's an appreciation of the Golden Throat's music.

Am I losing it here, or has anyone else noticed this?

I would go nuts if Waits was to cover that song. I love everything by Waits - he is truly one of the greatest songwriters (next to Dylan in my mind). I can't wait for his 2 new albums in April. Cheers.

~Zoo~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

I'm not really too familiar with Waits' material, but I don't believe Bono was trying to write a song like Sinatra. Sinatra didn't write his songs. Others wrote them and he made them his by adding the Sinatra touch. Bono is just writing a song in tribute almost to Sinatra. Ya know, kind of telling a story from "old blue eyes'" perspective. I mean, Bono does say "Happy Birthday, Frank" at the end of the song. Nonetheless, Two Shots of Happy... is an excellent song. I hope U2 puts it on the next compilation/B-side album. That'd be cool.

------------------
The goal is ELEVATION!

Back
Top Bottom