Tryin' To Throw Your Arms... vs. Electrical Storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive read a lot of ppl dissing TTTYAATW - but it's a very under-rated song imo.
With regards to ES, I loved that when it came out, and I still love it now, more than ever.

ES for me..:wink:

I must add that the NON ORBIT MIX ES is the best. Sadly I can't find my Best of double CD :scream:

I have to go with "Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World"--absolutely no contest for me. I always have found "Electrical Storm" to be a pretty boring song...I enjoy some of the guitar parts which Edge performs quite well (though they're not too complicated), but I neither like the lyrics nor Bono's vocals. The music video is a travesty, as well. "Tryin'..." has always had a very special place in my heart for various personal reasons, but even when putting those aside, I still think it's about a million times better of a song than was "Electrical Storm." Sure, some lyrics are GREAT ("You're kept awake dreaming someone else's dream"--what a perfect way to describe a disintegrating relationship/quarrel between lovers), but others are just wince-inducing ("It's hot as hell, honey, in this room," etc.--I shudder to think); and, like I said, I think Bono over-sings it like crazy. Not a BAD song, but I think it's decidedly un-great. :wink:

Tryin and Cruel are the 2 songs I skip on AB. They're not bad songs, but they don't do it for me the way the others do.

Two completely different songs, one is good the other isn't. :lol: Just kidding, but really TTTYAATW is better. I used to hate Electrical Storm but now I quite like it. The lyrics and melody still annoy me a little though, but it has good guitars and a nice solo at the end. However I think TTTYAATW achieves its goal better than ES. It's a soulful, drinking song with a kiskc ass organ riff and, as simple as it is, an awesome intro! :up:

Well, I find Tryin' studio version OK, but the live version is incredible. So that wins, although I didn't hear the live version of ES...yet.

I don't think anything U2 does now can ever compare to the love that I have for Achtung Baby and the tracks on it...

Electrical Storm was the first single that I really remember going out to get, but I still have a much fonder memory of listening to Trying to Throw Your Arms for the first time.

I think it fits much better into the overall theme of Achtung Baby as well, whereas ES was sort of just a one-off to me, just another song to put on the best of.

ES is in my top five U2 songs of all time. Loved it when it came out and still listen to each everyday...well not the last 2 weeks lol.

a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle...dammit it's true and Bono Knows it and that song is much higher on my list than ES

riverfari

I like Electrical Storm - I was really pleased that they'd chosen William Orbit to remix it.... i'm a huge fan of his

My first post...

ES is one of my favorite "recent" songs.
TTTYAATW kicked ass live when I saw it - one of the highlights of ZooTV for me.

They're both good songs. Is there a reason why I can't like them both, equally? ;-)

Back
Top Bottom