Trust Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul Vox

The Fly
Well, Bono has reviewed the album and he thinks its one of their best. Hell, he is down right giddy about it...and I think we "know" him well enough to know when he is lying to us...

As Bono says, the minute they start putting out crap...it is over. He doesn't want to be in a crap band. If it is crap...we will all know it...we won't need some bloke from Q magazine to tell us it is crap. 4 out of 5 is not crap, btw...see R.E.M. for that. Early indications are HTDAAB isn't crap.

As I look back on my initial impressions of their albums...I recall having a VERY hard time with them at first. I had JT for three weeks before I could even begin to interpret anything past "song 3" I used to play Streets, ISHFWILF, and WOWY and just start the album over...I knew they were three great songs...but they were not easily accessable upon initial airing. Achtung completely freaked me out...I thought they lost their minds...I was really not able to digest it for a very long time...this was not U2...POP was even more frightning...I was sure it was over...then they had this "comeback"album ATYCLB and at first I thought it sounded like a tv advert or something, especially SIAM.

I now consider all of these albums to be absofuckinlutely brilliant. Maybe I am brainwashed and can't be critical of U2 because of some unknown reason...like maybe because every live show I go to is a freakin religious experience...but I am prepared to have a few rough moments with this new album...because that is all part of it. For some reason, the build up on this particular disc is really hot and heavy and we are all living and dying by every snipit of a review, but when it is all said and heard, we won't be able to judge these songs until we marinate in them for a while...have life experiences that incorporate them and especially not until we see them play them for us live and in person. The reason they take so long to put out these albums is because they have to withstand the test of time...for the band. Bono has to climb into these songs day in and day out...fully commit to them...and if they were crap he couldn't do it. I trust his judgement...much more than Q's.

End of rant:crazy:

Paul Vox said:
Well, Bono has reviewed the album and he thinks its one of their best. Hell, he is down right giddy about it...and I think we "know" him well enough to know when he is lying to us...

As Bono says, the minute they start putting out crap...it is over. He doesn't want to be in a crap band. If it is crap...we will all know it...we won't need some bloke from Q magazine to tell us it is crap. 4 out of 5 is not crap, btw...see R.E.M. for that. Early indications are HTDAAB isn't crap.

As I look back on my initial impressions of their albums...I recall having a VERY hard time with them at first. I had JT for three weeks before I could even begin to interpret anything past "song 3" I used to play Streets, ISHFWILF, and WOWY and just start the album over...I knew they were three great songs...but they were not easily accessable upon initial airing. Achtung completely freaked me out...I thought they lost their minds...I was really not able to digest it for a very long time...this was not U2...POP was even more frightning...I was sure it was over...then they had this "comeback"album ATYCLB and at first I thought it sounded like a tv advert or something, especially SIAM.

I now consider all of these albums to be absofuckinlutely brilliant. Maybe I am brainwashed and can't be critical of U2 because of some unknown reason...like maybe because every live show I go to is a freakin religious experience...but I am prepared to have a few rough moments with this new album...because that is all part of it. For some reason, the build up on this particular disc is really hot and heavy and we are all living and dying by every snipit of a review, but when it is all said and heard, we won't be able to judge these songs until we marinate in them for a while...have life experiences that incorporate them and especially not until we see them play them for us live and in person. The reason they take so long to put out these albums is because they have to withstand the test of time...for the band. Bono has to climb into these songs day in and day out...fully commit to them...and if they were crap he couldn't do it. I trust his judgement...much more than Q's.

End of rant:crazy:

:applaud: post of the week, if not the month

thank u for talking a little sense in all the madness

Great thread. :applaud:

As someone who has been following U2 from almost their beginning (23 years), I have learned not only to trust u2 but to TRUST MYSELF and to stay close to the music that speaks the truest to my Heart (U2).

Others can like or dislike them or their music or their fame or their influence, but I WILL ALWAYS FOLLOW (like stars :wink: ) no matter what others say.

So I second your idea, Paul Vox, and would encourage each one of us to simply TRUST BONO and look forward to what will undoubtedly be one of their BEST ALBUMS EVER!:hug:

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Paul Vox said:

As I look back on my initial impressions of their albums...I recall having a VERY hard time with them at first.

Very true. I remember when I first heard "Running to Stand Still," I think I actually laughed at it. But now its probably in my top 10 u2 songs of all time. The only album I heard and immediately loved it was AB.

Zooropa (the album) may be the greatest thing since sliced bread and Adam's 'fro, and yet people SNEERED at it when it was released.

LEMON-HATERS, I defy you!

I suggest you listen to "Around The Sun" all the way through a few times. After you do so, you will then join the club of ATS lovers.

But as far as U2 goes, don't read into them too much. Good bands release a statement of art, not an expensive disc that creates critic friendly sounds.

AussieU2fanman said:
lol i don't wanna sound offensive, but I just get the impression she's high when she writes her posts.

LOL I honestly kinda thought the same thing.

Jamilia were you by any chance a big hippy in the 60s? You almost sound too happy.

Last edited:
You know when I first heard Achtung Baby, I thought it was all over. I forced myself to listen to that album for a the first few months it was out. I loved "The Fly" and "Mysterious Ways", but EBTTRT, Ultraviolet, So Cruel and even One had me grasping at straws.

Then one day as I had it blaring in my (cassette) Walkman, I realized that not only did I like the album, it had somehow become a classic to me. This was completely confirmed for me after I saw my first two Zoo TV shows. Now that is my all-time favorite album....period.

U2 albums have a funny way of sinking into your subconscious and living inside you for years to come. If you give them the chance.

That's funny, I thought it was just me who has to let U2 songs sink in. I actually get nervous when I like their songs right away. I feel that when I do marinate and it finally hooks me in, I'm clamped for good. I think that's why I mysteriously don't get sick of U2 songs compared to other band's/individual's songs. I used to think it's because of how disparate (in a good complementary way) Edge's guitar was from Bono's melody. I still don't know why U2 songs don't really get old for me. :shrug:

The same goes for me. The best albums of my collection are the ones that had to grow on me. If i like a song or album right away i get bored with it very quickly. So it is a very good sign if i am disappointed by HTDAAB on first listen.

I remember on first listening to AB, I thought what was that? left it alone for about 3 months then came back to it and then wham! It hit me! what a masterpiece! now its one of my fave albums of all time!

I've come to expect that I won't like new U2 much (if at all) on first listen. But I always listen to a new album a bunch of times straight through, because I know there's more to the songs than what I initially hear. And I'll keep listening till I figure it out. Even after I think I've figured it out, I find out there's still more. I can't tell you how many of their songs have gotten a lot better for me over the years. How I didn't realize greatness when I first heard it. U2 is not easily digestable. I love them for that.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
You know when I first heard Achtung Baby, I thought it was all over. I forced myself to listen to that album for a the first few months it was out. I loved "The Fly" and "Mysterious Ways", but EBTTRT, Ultraviolet, So Cruel and even One had me grasping at straws.

Then one day as I had it blaring in my (cassette) Walkman, I realized that not only did I like the album, it had somehow become a classic to me. This was completely confirmed for me after I saw my first two Zoo TV shows. Now that is my all-time favorite album....period.

U2 albums have a funny way of sinking into your subconscious and living inside you for years to come. If you give them the chance.

this describes me exactly!!!! i couldn't get in to AB for years, and I mean years then all of a sudden...wham...there it was...a classic

Is it strang that I loved every U2 album upon very first listen? I mean, alot of other albums from other bands tend to take a long time to sink in (some are faster, some are still immediate), but I find every U2 album I've heard (that being all of them) it was love at first sight (at first listen? I dunno). But has this been the case with anybody else, or is it just me?...and when I say every one, i mean EVERY one, not a single album did i not love immediately.

oy yeah, about the post. Excellent. We need more people like you posting their opinions. bravo.

Lancemc said:
But has this been the case with anybody else, or is it just me?...and when I say every one, i mean EVERY one, not a single album did i not love immediately.

I agree. achtung baby was such a departure from r&h and jt but i loved it immediatley. i have said this before but my musical taste have seemed to be on the same page as the band- when they make a change in style i am right there with them. achtung baby didn't sound weird or shocking, and the same as pop. they just made since to me at that time. i always think each u2 album sounds like u2, its just wrapped a little different. i will say zooropa took me a while, like maybe 3 days. i scratched my head a little bit at lemon the first time, but it didn't take long.

AussieU2fanman said:
anyone notice anything strange about all of Jamila's posts? :eyebrow:

Well, all I've noticed is that they always contain spaced out lines to deliver points in a bang-bang style. The other thing is that they are always blanketed with emoticons.

Lancemc said:

about the post. Excellent. We need more people like you posting their opinions. bravo.

Aww Shucks...:wink:

Yea and it's ok Jamila...I was high when I posted, too...err, was I???...:slant: :D

Maybe it was the shots of Southern Comfort!:drunk:

...and God part II playing in the backround...

I became a premium member yesterday so I wanted to throw my hat in the ring...:cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom