TRL Take Over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
We tried for Adam's birthday in March but weren't successful, but who's to say we won't succeed in getting a U2 video on TRL for Bono's birthday? His big day is this Friday which, unfortunately, is the day TRL does it's weekly wrap up, but we can still try to get a video on Thursday or some other day this week.
Last time someone said the thing to do is to vote for the video all week, not just on one particular day, so that maybe it can become an actual choice (as opposed to a write-in). To better our chances, I think we should start voting this weekend and continue until Thursday morning (I believe the polls close around 2 p.m. Eastern on show days).
Are y'all in? In a previous discussion, "Beautiful Day" was chosen as the video for voting. Not bad!
Here's the link to the TRL voting page where you can write in "Beautiful Day" -- http://www.mtv.com/onair/trl/votevideo.jhtml You can also write a message about why you like said video or send a shout-out to Bono for his birthday.
Vote often and spread the word!

Sure, why not?

Also, how does one change his password on this forum? I hate having to check that confirmation e-mail to copy and paste my clunky password every time I want to say something.

Originally posted by dsmith2904:
We tried for Adam's birthday in March but weren't successful, but who's to say we won't succeed in getting a U2 video on TRL for Bono's birthday? His big day is this Friday which, unfortunately, is the day TRL does it's weekly wrap up, but we can still try to get a video on Thursday or some other day this week.
Last time someone said the thing to do is to vote for the video all week, not just on one particular day, so that maybe it can become an actual choice (as opposed to a write-in). To better our chances, I think we should start voting this weekend and continue until Thursday morning (I believe the polls close around 2 p.m. Eastern on show days).
Are y'all in? In a previous discussion, "Beautiful Day" was chosen as the video for voting. Not bad!
Here's the link to the TRL voting page where you can write in "Beautiful Day" -- http://www.mtv.com/onair/trl/votevideo.jhtml You can also write a message about why you like said video or send a shout-out to Bono for his birthday.
Vote often and spread the word!

First of all, I think that a lot of the videos that are shown on TRL are fixed to a certain extent.

Secondly, a U2 video has never been voted onto TRL and I don't think that will change now.

Thirdly, most of those brain-washed, mass-marketed teens do not and will not appreciate a great band like U2, so screw 'em.

Besides, U2 does not have a new video out now, and TRL only airs fairly new videos.

Originally posted by MBH:
First of all, I think that a lot of the videos that are shown on TRL are fixed to a certain extent.

Secondly, a U2 video has never been voted onto TRL and I don't think that will change now.

Thirdly, most of those brain-washed, mass-marketed teens do not and will not appreciate a great band like U2, so screw 'em.

Besides, U2 does not have a new video out now, and TRL only airs fairly new videos.

so you're saying there's a chance then...right?

I don't remember, but I believe Beautiful Day was on TRL.

Also, TRL airs videos that have premiered on TRL. So Beautiful Day qualifies.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Popheart.org

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
I don't remember, but I believe Beautiful Day was on TRL.

Also, TRL airs videos that have premiered on TRL. So Beautiful Day qualifies.

Yes, BD did premiere on TRL (at the same time as VH1). However, I cannot recall a U2 video being voted on to TRL. Unfortunately, you are one of the few teens that I know who appreciate U2....and for that I salute you!

Originally posted by kobayashi:
so you're saying there's a chance then...right?

Excuse me? Shouldn't you be in "Put 'em Under Pressure" spouting off about your beloved Leafs? LOL....

Yes, BD did premiere on TRL (at the same time as VH1). However, I cannot recall a U2 video being voted on to TRL. Unfortunately, you are one of the few teens that I know who appreciate U2....and for that I salute you!

Actually the majority of teens at my school appreciate bands like U2. When we were still allowed to bring CD's to school, you would see all kinds of music, once when everyone went around talking about what they were playing the music ranged from Bob Dylan to the Who to U2 to India.Arie to the Stones. Quite a few teens tend to ignore TRL if at all possible, and the only bands I can think of that have any kind of fanbase in this area are Linkin Park and P.O.D. It's seems to be the preteens who actually like the teenypoppers.

Shutting up now.

Originally posted by brunerhyme:
Actually the majority of teens at my school appreciate bands like U2. When we were still allowed to bring CD's to school, you would see all kinds of music, once when everyone went around talking about what they were playing the music ranged from Bob Dylan to the Who to U2 to India.Arie to the Stones. Quite a few teens tend to ignore TRL if at all possible, and the only bands I can think of that have any kind of fanbase in this area are Linkin Park and P.O.D. It's seems to be the preteens who actually like the teenypoppers.

Shutting up now.

Really? That is good to know. Judging from what I've seen in my area (being 24 yrs. old, I am only so in tune with teens, IMA) and from talk on this site, etc... it appears that U2 are not extremely popular amongst teens. I am glad that you have witnessed something to the contrary.

BTW, what area are you referring to and how old are you and the people that you are talking about? Just curious. Thanks.

Excuse me? Shouldn't you be in "Put 'em Under Pressure" spouting off about your beloved Leafs? LOL....

thanks for your suggestion MBH.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Sure, there's a chance U2 might be voted onto TRL. There's also a chance that I might be voted Miss America.

*starts looking for sparkly dress

*asks BEAL for make-up tips

Doctorwho, your sense of humour is not appreciated nearly enough
biggrin.gif

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Popheart.org

Originally posted by brunerhyme:

I live in Tennessee, Oak Ridge (where our only distiction is having Hollywood people come every year to protest our labs/nuclear plants). The people I'm talking to were in study hall with me, so they would've ranged from 15-18. I'm 16.

It seems, that even if some don't care for U2's music around here, they do have quite a bit of respect for them. I was writing out the chords to Running to Stand Still in math (lovely student I am) for a friend. The guy behind me saw the lyrics I was writing, immediately said "U2; Joshua Tree". He's not a fan, but his band still uses songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday to practice on, which I found very cool.

In any case, I've only met only two or three teenypoppers in a a school of over 2000, most grew out of that phase in 6th grade. The bigger problems are obsessions with teenymetal (ew.)
and teenyrock (bigger ew.), but still not the stuff played on MTV.

Thanks for the story! It is good to know many teens seem to appreciate U2.....good luck to you!

-MBH

BTW, what area are you referring to and how old are you and the people that you are talking about? Just curious. Thanks.[/B]

I live in Tennessee, Oak Ridge (where our only distiction is having Hollywood people come every year to protest our labs/nuclear plants). The people I'm talking to were in study hall with me, so they would've ranged from 15-18. I'm 16.

It seems, that even if some don't care for U2's music around here, they do have quite a bit of respect for them. I was writing out the chords to Running to Stand Still in math (lovely student I am) for a friend. The guy behind me saw the lyrics I was writing, immediately said "U2; Joshua Tree". He's not a fan, but his band still uses songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday to practice on, which I found very cool.

In any case, I've only met only two or three teenypoppers in a a school of over 2000, most grew out of that phase in 6th grade. The bigger problems are obsessions with teenymetal (ew.)
and teenyrock (bigger ew.), but still not the stuff played on MTV.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom