Trip Through Your Wires appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

doctorwho would agree with you there. :wink:

I really don't understand why TTYW made JT and Spanish Eyes didn't, though. TTYW would've been fine as ISHFWILF's b-side.

Though I will admit, there are some pretty enjoyable live performances of TTYW floating around. (Interestingly [to me anyway], TTYW is the only JT song to have not been performed since the end of the JT Tour.)

Well, Red Hill Mining Town too.

When was Exit? Lovetown?

phillyfan26 said:

Well, Red Hill Mining Town too.

When was Exit? Lovetown?

Well, RHMT doesn't count. :wink:

And yep, Exit was played once on Lovetown, on 14 October 1989 in Melbourne.

It's a solid, fun song, and I do like it, but it doesn't really flow that well with the rest of the album. I wouldn't have minded losing the live tracks on Rattle and Hum (to a Live EP) and putting Trip there.

In God's Country --> Trip Through Your Wires --> One Tree Hill

Something there doesn't work for me.

I don't think people hate it, I think they just believe it to be bad in comparison with the rest of The Joshua Tree.

COBL_04 said:
In God's Country --> Trip Through Your Wires --> One Tree Hill

Something there doesn't work for me.

I don't think people hate it, I think they just believe it to be bad in comparison with the rest of The Joshua Tree.

That's pretty much it; I think it would've worked better as a b-side than on the Joshua Tree.

vaz02 said:
Gasp! A bad song on The Joshua Tree, which many people consider to be U2's magnum opus? You've got it, fanboy, and it won't be the last time I set foot on this sacred ground. To be sure, Tree has its share of classics, but even in its early prime, U2 wasn't invulnerable, and this song proves it. "Trip Through Your Wires" has sort of a country/western vibe to it, which wouldn't be so bad in itself if there were a degree of inspiration at work here. Sadly, it doesn't feel like there is, and the jangly nature of the guitar through the end of the tune just screams that they had a basic chord progression and felt like they needed to do something to push it over the edge (Edge, get it? Ha!). Anyhoo...it's bad.

http://www.ugo.com/channels/music/features/top11/lamestu2songs/lamestu2songs1.asp

their review of it lol.

Yeah I totally agree with that article. Gone? Mofo? Love is Blindness? Dirty Day? Definitely some of the lamest songs U2 has EVER written

:rolleyes:

I hope you didn't write that article...

That article linked above is disgraceful. I went into it expecting a certain aim, and ended up with some of their most interesting underrated songs as targets for mockery!! 'Walk On" at number 11 and "Wake Up Dead Man" at number 2??? What the shit is that? The only songs I agree should be on that list are "Vertigo", "Trip Thru Your Wires"(even tho i like it, but i can understand the hatred) and "Miami" (same thing as before, I can see where the reviewer's coming from). But Gone? Love Is Blindness? Mofo?(which is apparently the opener to POP) Bullet? He even skirts The Wanderer (the obvious choice) in favor of Dirty Day? Come on..Dirty Day never hurt anyone....

The 11 lamest U2 songs:

11. Bullet The Blue Sky
10. Sunday Bloody Sunday
9. Running To Stand Still
8. WOWY
7. Pride
6. Bad
5. WTSHNN
4. ISHFWILF
3. I Will Follow
2. The Fky
1. UTEOTW

:|

Besides, those people have no clue what they're talking about; they put Stuck In A Moment (a serious piece of crap) at #11 on their list of 11 best U2 songs. :mad:

I have to somehow take part to this thread :wink:

Jack In The Box said:
it's awesome live

... on some occasions, but ...

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=4D1uAZCHEZY&search=u2%20wire

This video is worth a look, for the crappy lyrics (it looks the same as when Bono forgets the lyrics - ... in this town :blahblah: ... - but in that case he hasn't written them yet) and for the fat Adam !!!

TripThroughWire said:
I have to somehow take part to this thread :wink:

... on some occasions, but ...

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=4D1uAZCHEZY&search=u2%20wire

This video is worth a look, for the crappy lyrics (it looks the same as when Bono forgets the lyrics - ... in this town :blahblah: ... - but in that case he hasn't written them yet) and for the fat Adam !!!

well, that's an early version of the song, you can't fault them for it :wink: still, Edge is doing some nice guitar stuff there!

I've always loved this song, esp the part where it sounds as though Bono's going yeehoo!!! :lol:

BTW, whoever wrote that article on the lamest songs is an idiot and has no idea what he's talking about. Didn't Discotheque open Pop? He says BtBS was five minutes longer than it needed to be. It's not even five minutes long! And how are these lyrics remotely the same?

Bono: And if the darkness is to keep, us apart... Frank Black: Outside there's a boxcar waiting, outside the family stew...

The only thing I agree with was New York. It's a good tune, but a bit long and the lyrics are quite lame.

COBL_04 said:

I agree but wasn't on the One Tree Hill release in New Zealand?

No. The b-sides for One Tree Hill (and In God's Country in the US) were the album versions of Bullet and RTSS.

Back
Top Bottom