TRIBUTE BANDS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazyboy

War Child
Me and my mates finished up our exams on Saturday, and went into town, and saw a superb tribute band, Thin As Lizzy, obvioulsy a Thin Lizzy tribute. They were amazing! I mean, the place was packed, and yeah most of us had just finished the exams and were kinda easily pleased, but many of my mates are decent guitar players, and were mightily impressed. It didn't take a genius to work out how much these guys rocked!! They tore through Whisky In The Jar, Sarah, Jailbreak, and The Boys Are BAck In Town. The whole place was pumping! Guitar riffs all over the place. The lead singer, pretending to be Phil Lynott, appart from being bald and white, as opposed to black and afro laden
biggrin.gif
he was spot on!!!!

My point is, especially with U2, why don't these bands go for it on their own?! These guys on saturday had so much talent, it was a shame to see them just playing off some1's hits. Same with Rattle And Hum, in my opinion the best U2 tribute I've seen, saw Achtung Baby and Zoo2 too. So much talent, coulda been put towards a new original band. I mean the Bootleg Beatles play venues like the Point as well as the Abba clones, Bjorn Again, but these guys were amazing!!!!! Ah well, pity. Any1 seen any stonking tribute bands??

P.S. Dolans Warehouse in Limerick, thats where I've seen most of these, it's a BRILLIANT music venue, any tourists would be very wise to check it out. Hot Press gave it Number4 in the best Irish venues, and Ron Sexsmith said it is one of his all time favourite places to play
eek.gif

I don't really get tribute bands. I'm in the process of forming a band (we have a singer, lead guitarist, rhythm guitarist, bass player, but alas, no drummer), and we play a few cover songs (mainly because we've all been musicians for less than a year, we've done a couple U2 and Beatles songs). But we write our own stuff. I mean, we are very, very green, but we've already written a handful of songs which aren't half bad in our humble opinions. I can't understand how anyone with a large amount of musical prowess could be content playing nothing but other people's material. But that's just me, if that's what they enjoy, more power to them.

lazyboy! I saw Rattle & Hum in Galway and they were great! lol, Had a fabulous time.
biggrin.gif
I always wondered the same myself, why not try it on their own? But you know, perhaps it's the opposite of U2 - couldn't play other people's songs so wrote their own - perhaps these bands haven't a clue about writing music etc... and can *only* play other peoples'. Playing an instrument and writing don't come hand in hand.

Sicy wants to see the Unforgettable Fire.

t18.jpg

But Sicy lives very far from New York.

------------------
My Lair

too bad. they're playing on Friday in NYC. for those are you who are here, you should come. the fun/scary thing about them though is 1) Tony looks WAY too much like Bono and 2) there are alot of other U2 freaks there beside me. Its spooky.

Originally posted by Sicy:
Sicy wants to see the Unforgettable Fire.

t18.jpg

But Sicy lives very far from New York.

That Bono dude is kinda freaky alright! Maybe Bono is taking the piss and making extra bucks for his house extension by playing in a tribute band too?!
Adam is pretty accurate too.
They good musically??

Angel, what pub did you see R&H in? I saw em paddies night last year, it was amazing!!!! Fecking gas altogether, sis even got on stage, the shame!

I met Tony (the Bono lookalike) in Baltimore. Really, really nice guy, and when you first walk up to him you could swear to God it's Bono. Then he opens his mouth and his Yankee accent comes out, and you know better.
wink.gif
Really cool guy though.

Originally posted by lazyboy:

Angel, what pub did you see R&H in? I saw em paddies night last year, it was amazing!!!! Fecking gas altogether, sis even got on stage, the shame!

We saw them at the Victoria Hotel. (I think that was the name). Anyway, we made a make shift sign for Bono, lol, and he pulled us up on stage. I have pics but you'll never see them!!!!!!! muhawawawa!!

I saw the Unforgettable Fire play the night ATYCLB came out in the basement of the HMV in NYC.

All I have to say is that they rocked. Even though there were maybe 30 of us there they played an amazing gig.

That lead singer looks too much like Bono.

The funny thing is that they played a couple of the new songs the night the album came out...

If it was at ATYCLB, it was probably the old guy Charlie. Tony is crazier. he's got the jacket with the red star, he's got the Fly suit, hell-- he's even got a mirror ball man suit! and he walks through the crowd on a normal basis, jumping on the bar, wooing all the girls. Same as the REAL THING. they even start their show with Sgt. Pepper and the Influx mix. Crazy boys but great band!

Heeeeeellllo, Lazyboy!
wink.gif

I'm trying to form my own U2 cover band actually, hee hee.
The only tribute band ive seen in person is Exit.
I like a good tribute band since at least you get to hear your favorite songs played live even when the band isnt touring.
smile.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

"ACHTUNG VORSPRUNG" are the only U 2 Tribute band I've seen so far. They rock!
http://www.u2germany.com/

annalivia

------------------
"I'm a singer. You know what a singer is? Someone with a hole in his heart as big as his ego.
When you need 20,000 people screaming your name in order to feel good about your day,
you know you're a singer."

(Bono's Harvard address, June 2001)

Back
Top Bottom