Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeFlava

Babyface
Hey, all. I've been wondering something for a while, and I thought this would be the place to ask!

On the version of "Party Girl" that is on the Best Of 1980-1990, why does Bono sing so terribly? I've heard early demo's U2 shopped around for record deals, and while he wasn't that great back then, at least Bono could carry a tune! So it leads me to believe that he sang that way on purpose. I was just wondering why he would purposely try to sound bad.

-Joe

I think it was (partly) because they didn't have enough time to finish the track. This was recorded at the same session they used for recording A Celebration. IIRC, they ran out of studio time, so they used the backing track to A Celebration (slowed down/backwards/whatever) and Bono had to almost improvise over it. It could be his voice wasn't in top condition after recording the A-side. Whatever it was, his voice is indeed not too great. Luckily the song has enough quality to survive that vocal performance.

C ya!

Marty

P.S. Welcome on Interference! :wave:

I've never noticed it being that bad. :shrug: Maybe I just turn a deaf ear to our beloved Bono! :D

i just remember everyone i know, U2 fan or not, thinking that song is some scary shit. i just think it's kinda funny, so i have to like it.

but in terms of quality, i like the uabrs version better. :up:

So, Moonlit_Angel, you're all over this site, you're a "Premium Member", you're a U2 fanatic, you probably have bootlegs that I've never heard of...yet you've never listened to "Under a Blood Red Sky"? Frankly, that blows my mind.

-Joe

The UABRS version is far superior.

I've never noticed his voice being that bad though on the studio one.

Maybe it's just me though... :headscratch:

I don't have Under a Blood Red Sky, either! I love my boys, but I'm a cheap bastard! :D So, I've never heard that version. I do have a live mp3 of Party Girl from Larry's Birthday, 10/31/01. Is it similar?

I also don't own October. :reject:

JoeFlava said:
So, Moonlit_Angel, you're all over this site, you're a "Premium Member", you're a U2 fanatic, you probably have bootlegs that I've never heard of...yet you've never listened to "Under a Blood Red Sky"? Frankly, that blows my mind.

-Joe

Nope. You can yell at my town for that, since they sell very little in the way of U2 stuff. That and the fact that I don't always have the money on me to buy some of this stuff that I'd really like to get (I did spend some graduation money recently on a few things I brought online-waiting for them to get here).

And no, I actually don't really have any bootlegs-perhaps a couple I may have found when downloading music one time, but not many.

With time, I will obtain more money and I will be able to afford more of this stuff.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom