Tracks 1 - 6 HTDAAB v AB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 have always cared about being the biggest band in the world. Always. ZooTV was preposterously HUGE. Most of the alternative bands from the early 90's mocked U2 for trying too hard and for being too popular.

I'm 30. I've been a huge U2 fan since 1984. I was aware of and liked the band as early as 1982 thanks to an older brother with good taste. I did live through it. People love to romanticize the past when they start getting old. Every time I have a conversation with people my age about the current state of music it devolves into a "things were so much better back when dinausours walked the earth" conversation.
It's just sad.

Vertigo vs Zoo Station. Vertigo in a real squeeker.

MD vs Even Better. MD in a rout. I used to love EBTTRL but it hasn't aged well. Even Better was great live on ZooTV but it sucked on PopMart.

Sometimes vs One. One has to win but this is really close.

LAPOE vs UTEOTW. Until the End is one of U2's greatest tracks. This one isn't even close.

COBL vs Who's Gonna Ride. COBL by a long shot. I have a soft spot in my heart for Who's Gonna Ride but it's the weakest track on AB. Average lyrics, awkward production and most damning of all: it didn't work live. ZooTV was U2's greatest tour. They re-arranged old songs like Bullet and Running to Stand Still and made them sound BETTER than before which is just incredible. Almost every song on AB shined live. The boys eventually gave up on Who's Gonna Ride. I actually like some of the Hansa Salome demos of this song better than the actual song.

All Because of You vs So Cruel: Tough call. One of U2's most rocking songs against arguably Bono's greatest lyrics.
So Cruel did not work at all live. Only played twice. I was actually at the Boston gig where they played So Cruel. Still the greatest show I've ever seen but So Cruel didn't work live. ABOY works GREAT live. So Cruel is another song where I prefer the Salome Demo, Sick for Love.
I'm going with So Cruel but just barely. The lyrics are just too good.

3-3 so far.

AMAAW vs the Fly. I like AWAAW but you've got to be kidding me. The Fly is one of U2's greatest songs. A rout.

Crumbs vs Mysterious Ways. MW.

One Step Closer vs Trying to Throw Your Arms. I love TTTYA and defend it constantly on this very site. But OSC is the better song.

Original of the Species vs Acrobat. Wow. Tough call. Acrobat has the better lyrics. Original the better music. I love the chorus of Acrobat but I'm going with Original. Acrobat is too much drama and not enough song. Plus it didn't work live. A damning statement.

Yahweh vs Love is Blindness. Yahweh is a good song. Love is Blindness is a GREAT song.

6-5 Achtung. That feels right.

If I include album versions only:

Vertigo vs Zoo Station - Vertigo. I always thought Zoo Station was the dullest U2 album opener (despite brilliant lyrics)

MD vs Even Better Than a Real Thing - Even Better.

Sometimes... vs One. I'll go With Sometimes... because I never liked the album version of One much.

LAPOE vs UTEOTW - LAPOE. Until the End... is a killer live, but again the album version just doesn't do as much for me.

COBL vs Who's Gonna Ride - COBL.

All Because of You vs So Cruel - All Because of You.

AMAAW vs the Fly - Fly in a lanslide victory.

Crumbs vs Mysterious Ways - the sexiest U2 song ever against poor little Crumbs? Mwahahaha!

One Step Closer vs Trying to Throw Your Arms - One Step Closer.

Original of the Species vs Acrobat - a tie.

Yahweh vs Love is Blindness - Love is Blindness. Yahweh is the closest thing to a dud on HTDAAB IMO.

7- 5 HTDAAB

The score would reverse 7-5 AB though if I included live versions of One and UTEOTW, which would kill just about any competition.

Matthew_Page2000 said:

6-5 Achtung. That feels right.

To be honest there is not ONE track off the new album that is better than anything off Achtung Baby, NOT ONE! COBL is damn bland when you compare it too WGRYWH or anything off AB and it doesn't help by the mix and production of COBL either. The only track I can think of that comes close maybe is Love and Peace Or Else but it would have made a good b-side 13 years ago. Thats about all I can say in comparing these 2 albums.

Saracene said:
If I include album versions only:

Vertigo vs Zoo Station - Vertigo. I always thought Zoo Station was the dullest U2 album opener (despite brilliant lyrics)

Damn, Zoo Station DULL!!!!!:huh: WHAT? The intro is fu#king superb man! Just look at the intros off AB and compare it to the latest songs. Intro's Zoo Station, Even Better, Until The End, Who's Gonna, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, UV, Acrobat and the beautiful organ beginning to Love Is Blindness, there isn't any that compare from the new stuff. The only one that comes close maybe is the intro to ABOY but that descends into a pretty mediocre song. As a reviewer said back in 1991 about AB "they all seem to start off playing a different song then decide which one they like best" and this was meant as a compliment, a great line to sum the best fuc#ing intros ever on an album.

I can not believe that there are U2 fans on here that actually believe HTDAAB comes close to Achtung Baby. This is a wind up right?:huh:

Hey just as we speak the guy is playing "One" on my local Radio Station. Hehehe kinda sums up the new album, the guy would rather be playing one of the greatest songs ever than some of the dull music that they are making now.

rjhbonovox said:
Hey just as we speak the guy is playing "One" on my local Radio Station. Hehehe kinda sums up the new album, the guy would rather be playing one of the greatest songs ever than some of the dull music that they are making now.

Yeah, if anyone plays anything older, instead of something off the new album, it must mean that the new album sucks. That settles the debate.

I think someone needs to ditch the rose-coloured glasses.:)

Now, about comparisons, I'd say SYCMIOYO is a much better song than Wild Horses (which is a great song, but has a few dodgy lyrics) and also a better tune than So Cruel, which I also love..in fact to me its on par with One. To take this further, Vertigo can definitely hold its own against say, Mysterious Ways, Acrobat, and Zoo Station, Love And Peace is also a song good enough to go on AB.. and this is from someone who rates AB as the best U2 album.

I’ve never understood why AB is rated so highly on here:

Zoo Station – Awesome start, goes absolutely nowhere.
EBTTRT – Decent pop song, designed to be a single. Hasn’t aged that well.
One – Classic
UTEOTW – Classic
WGRYWH – Worst song ever. U2 trying hard to write a hit single. Simply awful.
So Cruel – Great song
The Fly – Great song
Mysterious Ways – Never liked it. U2 trying too hard to be trendy.
TTTYAATW – Dull.
Ultra Violet – U2’s 2nd worst song ever.
Acrobat – Hate the guitar on this song. Maybe there’s a better version…
Love is Blindness – Great song

But of course all of the above is just one persons opinion. Some people (cough...rjhbonovox…cough) should remember that when they post.

rjhbonovox said:

By the way I am 35 but my sense of humour is obviously to much for you guys. I just feel that this whole thread is ridiculous. How in the hell you can compare probably one of the greatest albums ever made(AB) to their latest effort is beyond me. But I suppose if you lived thru the time when that album was being made and released (1991) you would understand where I am coming from.

The band that made that album has definetly different views now, than back then. They are virtually 2 different bands. When they went in to make Achtung Baby they couldn't give a fuc# about being the biggest band in the world, and now it seems that is all there obsessed with. A quote from 1991 about "The Fly" when it was released, Bono "To me it sounds like 4 guys chopping down the Joshua Tree", which had made them the biggest band in the world and they just wanted rid of that label. The Fly was the furthest you could get from being a commercial single and that was why it was released. Now fast forward to what happened a year ago when they met to discuss the Chris Thomas material. The first thing that was said is "We don't have a first big hit single". What does that tell you about the mindset of U2 now. They are making music not for themselves but to please the chart buying public, to keep them the biggest band in the world. An obession that is slowly turning them into a parody of themselves, and a band that is slowly losing its way.

That is why I can't help mocking this thread.

I agree with every single word you say. Forget those losers rjhbonovox, they aren't smart enough for us.

U2_Guy said:

I agree with every single word you say. Forget those losers rjhbonovox, they aren't smart enough for us.

Oh yeah, what is your IQ?

Not sure what intelligence has to do with appreciating music anyway.

AB vs HTDAAB: AB but by not that much!

ZooStation vs Vertigo: ZS is a great opened but I would give a slight advantage to Vertigo.

EBTTRT VS Miracle Drug: Tie

One vs SYCMIOYO: One but by not much

UTEOTW vs LAPOE: Until the end of the world by a nose

WGRYWH vs COBL: COBL easily! Whos gonna is the worst song of U2's 90s'

SO Cruel vs All Because of You: both good songs but not great: tie

AMAAW vs The FLY: The Fly easily! I just love that song!

Crumbs vs Mysterious Ways: MW by a huge margin!

TTTYAATW vs OSC: OSC by a nose!

UR vs OOTS: OOTS is the best song on HTDAAM imo! But I still love UR!

Acrobat vs Yahweh: Acrobat easily: it's the most underratted U2 song ever!

Love is blindness vs Fast Cars: LIB!

In my book, AB wins 12-0. It's just that good. The one track that AB might be bested on happens to be a weak track on HDAAB as well.

Both Albums are class, Achtung just happens to be a different class .................................:mad: :mad:

roy said:
I’ve never understood why AB is rated so highly on here:

WGRYWH – Worst song ever. U2 trying hard to write a hit single. Simply awful.

heheeh can not believe this statement. What about the intro, man. Does that not impress you at all? The remix was designed to be a hit single but can you not hear the greatness in the original? I love the temple bar remix as well but the original with its fuc#ed up intro is superb.:huh:

And Zoo Station doesn't go anywhere??? But I suppose a song like Crumbs from your table does??? Oh hang on I get it, you mean their has to be a catchy chorus or else the song doesn't go anywhere. Yep I gotcha now!:huh:

AB is the one U2 album where every single song could have been a radio hit. There is not one weak song on that album. So Cruel is one of the most underrated songs. The reason it wasn't a single was because it's a long song. U2 is going to release ABOY as a single???? Are you kidding me???? Acrobat, which is a comparable song, is WAY better. I still don't understand why U2 never or rarely plays Acrobat in concert.

rjhbonovox said:

heheeh can not believe this statement. What about the intro, man. Does that not impress you at all? The remix was designed to be a hit single but can you not hear the greatness in the original? I love the temple bar remix as well but the original with its fuc#ed up intro is superb.:huh:

And Zoo Station doesn't go anywhere??? But I suppose a song like Crumbs from your table does??? Oh hang on I get it, you mean their has to be a catchy chorus or else the song doesn't go anywhere. Yep I gotcha now!:huh:

With regards WGRYWH even the band ended up hating it. Steve Lillywhite spent ages trying to get it right (much to the bands annoyance) but couldn't.

You make me laugh, you criticise U2 for being commercial yet you love their most commercial and dullest song of all. As Bono said in 1991, 'It's all a con'.

roy said:

With regards WGRYWH even the band ended up hating it. Steve Lillywhite spent ages trying to get it right (much to the bands annoyance) but couldn't.

You make me laugh, you criticise U2 for being commercial yet you love their most commercial and dullest song of all. As Bono said in 1991, 'It's all a con'.

Even the band ended up hating it did they? Can't quite recall anyone ever saying this. Also Bono said "Its all a con" mmmmmm do you realise that Bono and U2 had discovered irony and the art of bullshit in 90's. I don't think they were being too sincere in their interviews back then. Have you listened to any of the interviews from back then?

Well as Bono says just before the solo to "Bullet the Blue Sky" in the popmart mexico city video......"Over to you roy":wink:

WGRYWH? is definitely the weakest AB track..bit too much like Joshua Tree for that album and like I said, its got a few dodgy lyrics.

rjhbonovox said:

Even the band ended up hating it did they? Can't quite recall anyone ever saying this. Also Bono said "Its all a con" mmmmmm do you realise that Bono and U2 had discovered irony and the art of bullshit in 90's. I don't think they were being too sincere in their interviews back then. Have you listened to any of the interviews from back then?

Well as Bono says just before the solo to "Bullet the Blue Sky" in the popmart mexico city video......"Over to you roy":wink:

This is from a Q magazine article October 2002:

Producer Steve Lillywhite remembers the mixing of "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" (notably absent from the forthcoming Best of) as being especially testing.

"They hated that song," he says. "I spent a month on it and I still don't think it was as realised as it could've been. The Americans had heard it and said, That's your radio song there, because they were having trouble with some of the more industrial elements. It's almost like a covers band doing a U2 moment. Maybe we tried too hard."

Pretty damning stuff. Over and out...:wink: :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom