Track list and inclusion thoughts on the new BEST OF album...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, i'm sure there are those of you who have speculated-to-death on matters relating to the 90's Best Of release, but i thought i would add my views in order to get as much response from you guys. I would be really grateful for what you think about the following ideas and points. Thanks.

To start with, i would be quite happy to see this prospective Best Of in my record collection. I know people say that they have played such 90's hits as One, The Fly, etc to death that they would much prefer a new album. Well yeah these songs are very familiar, but i think it will be extremely useful to have their 90's songs grouped together on one/two CD's. I am really looking forward to it; no more dodgy DIY cassette attempts for us fans OR no more marathon programming problems with our home stereos. Know what i mean here?

Secondly, i really don't think that the ATYCLB singles should appear on this Best Of. They are far too recent and (musically or lyrically) are not in keeping with the industrial sounding U2 that graced the scene between 1991 & 1997. We know that Universal intend on releasing a trio of Best Of's, and in my opinion the ATYCLB songs should be reserved for the third instalment, whenever that may be.

NOW, taking into account what i have said so far, i have thought up a tracklist for the 1991-1999 Best Of album that resides in the imagination section of my cranium at the moment. I have considered how each song starts and fades out, and generally flows into the next. See what you think:

1. THE FLY
2. HOLD ME, THRILL ME, KISS ME, KILL ME
3. MYSTERIOUS WAYS
4. DISCOTHEQUE
5. MISS SARAJEVO
6. ONE
7. LAST NIGHT ON EARTH
8. EVEN BETTER THAN THE REAL THING
9. WHOS GONNA RIDE YOUR WILD HORSES (T.B. edit)
10.STAY
11.LEMON
12.PLEASE (single version)
13.STARING AT THE SUN
14.DIRTY DAY...

...(15). either IGWSHA or IYWTVD from POP as a hidden track.

Well thanks for reading this if you got to here. I'd greatly appreciate any comments on the above or any other related views.

Thanks in advance.

Mysprit.

Oh, and i am disappointed at the rumours that a B-Sides disc will not be present with this package. I think there is enough material for a disc similar to that of the 80's B-Sides. Buyin the Achtung/Zooropa/Pop singles can cost around 5 pounds (roughly $8). A compilation would be fantastic for the completist.

I like the songs you've chosen, but may I just say that 'One' shouldn't go after 'Miss Sarajevo' simply because they are both slow to mid tempo songs. 'One' fits really well after a high mid to high tempo song. It may fit really well after a song like 'Last Night On Earth' for example (though I haven't listened to that combination, so I can't be sure). You need the come down attraction of 'One', and that can only be achieved by being in a place you can come down from. (I once made a compilation of my favourite U2 songs, and 'One' sounded GREAT after 'Angel of Harlem' as well as 'Pride' -- though that really won't help matters here!
wink.gif
.)

------------------
The Tempest

Thanks Michael. Thats a good point. I've never really thought long about why One fits in well on the Achtung Baby tracklisting, but i spose it does because it counters the energy of EBTTRT. I could push Miss Sarajevo to 7th in the list, with the other two coming forward a place.

I know the actual Best Of will probably be nothing like what i have got here tho.
rolleyes.gif
smile.gif

I think that those songs are great for the new "best of", but remember that U2 are recording 1 or 2 new songs that should be on the record, more space is required!

And what do you think of TGBHF as a hidden track?

Back
Top Bottom