Track By Track Review Of Atomic Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few things for thought.

Super City Mania IS Miami, there is no argument about that. The only cuts of SCM ever heard was from people who said it was Miami, done slightly differently. So you can discount that theory.

Also, Blender, as far as I understand might have been the first people to hear the album. Remember the infamous listening party where Edge's CD disappeared? That was with Blender (possible others) but Blender was there.

My guess is that Blender heard a running mix of songs that might make the album. Apparently they heard 13. 11 are on the tracklisting (remember when they heard the album the tracklisting wasn't finalized) , the other two, one was Fast Cars, confirmed to be a bonus track in some countries.

That leaves "Mercy" which is either:
1-the last song not to make the cut, an actual B-side
2-The hidden track, instrumental or not?

It's very possible that the mix Blender heard just happened to have Mercy on it because they got to hear it so early. Also, note that the other reviews make no mention of it. Maybe they had decided to make it a B-side by then.

That and Bono said it was a B-side. Can't wait to hear it! :)

kevink said:
Also, did anyone else notice that City of Blinding Lights started life during the POP sessions? :ohmy:

Yes, I found that very very interesting. I wonder which song this one started out as? There is no telling.

Also, Brian Eno playing bass on LAPOE, that's interesting.
Unless I read that wrong or whatever.

kevink said:

Also remember what the actual quote said: "Mercy", a six and a half minute outpouring of U2 at its most uninhibitedly U2-ish".

Man! I am dying to hear this one now! :drool:

I am really curious where we're going to find this one.

TheBrazilianFly said:

I want to know too. :hmm:

Sad but true.

i think some of us are ruining the experience with obsession...we need calm...don't play vertigo again until you slip your new Bomb cd in your stereo....the world will change

What is a 'A Man and A Woman'? is it a rock song or is it a soul song?! how can NME say one thing and Belnder say another?! dis-information! reminds of the Achtung days!

It certainly looks as if it's lacking the rock songs we were promised, as far as I've read Vertigo and All Because Of You are gonna be the only ones, I'm a little but disappointed with that (I was hoping for in the region of 4 minimum).

The album must have been a very different beast with Chris Thomas on board.

Uncut
With a guitar riff somewhere between "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and
The Who's "Substitute", the most '60s sounding U2 since
"Gloria", complete with freak-out guitar coda. And is the
touch of self mockery as Bono sings, "I like the sound of my
own voice, I didn't give anyone else a choice"?

GLORIA! A COMPARISON WITH GLORIA! AHHHHHHHHHHH! YESSSSS!
THIS IS ALMOST ENOUGH TO MAKE EVEN THE STAUNCH ATHIEST IN ME BELIEVE IN GOD!

Lo-Fi said:
What is a 'A Man and A Woman'? is it a rock song or is it a soul song?!

I doubt it is going to sound like it but am I the only one that AMAAW reminds of Do You Feel Loved? "Stick together, a man and a woman..." over and over? :scratch:

Seeing as no one has cleared this up, Scott Walker used to be in The Walker Brothers, they had a big hit with "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" the production sounded quite ahead of its time when it came out, thats the only track I can remember by them!

Roland of Gilead said:
Well, I would certainly expect that Blender would of reviewed Are You Gonna Wait Forever? then.

Would have

Sorry, that just really bugs me. :wink:

U2Soar said:
'Fast Cars' (bonus track)

NME
Unlikely to appear on the UK version of the album, this track
is currently slated for inclusion on the Japanese pressing
only. That's a tragedy for UK U2 fans as it's by far the most
exciting song here. With a distinct Middle Eastern influence
in the music, it's also where the line 'How to Dismantle an
Atomic Bomb' comes from. NME says: put this track on the UK
album!

Q
Bizarrely, U2 come on like the house band in a Morrocan
bazaar.
Bono: "We did this on the very last day in the studio. It was
really just for fun, but it came out so well it'll be an extra
track on the record in some countries."

Blender
Later, another more experimental candidate
entitled “Fast Cars” (“an Irish/Mexican vibe”)
gets evicted, and the album becomes a lean and
lithe 11 tracks.

Uncut
U2 do world music on a Japan-only track destined to become a
collector's item - an exotic, semi-Arabic beat with a touch of
flamenco.

Mercy (6:30?)

Blender
"Mercy", a six and a half minute outpouring of U2 at its most uninhibitedly U2-ish.….becomes what Bono immediately anoints “the best B-side you’ve ever heard.”

do you guys think us here in australia will get fast cars? or wat about this mercy thing?

australia seems to be included in the 'australasia' area, and remember back with atyclb? when we got 'ground beneath her feet' as sort of a bonus track! maybe this time 2!!!! (lets pray so)

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been posted before but this is from Neil McCormick

"My favourite track is "Crumbs From Your Table", which has a majestic, rolling feel, a little bit reminiscent of "One,"

Maybe not such a b-side after all.

roy said:
Sorry if this has been posted before but this is from Neil McCormick

"My favourite track is "Crumbs From Your Table", which has a majestic, rolling feel, a little bit reminiscent of "One,"

Maybe not such a b-side after all.

Where is that from??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom