"Tower Of Song????"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wasn't this the Leonard Cohen tribute album Bono sang "Hallejulah" for???:huh:

It seems that a fan heard U2 rehearsing Leonard Cohen's Tower Of Song. We just don't know why. I tracked the song down and Bono could easily pull it off cause LC almost sounds like him on that song.

I just got done reading "Killing Bono," and Neil McCormick said Bono sang "Tower of Song" in 1996 at Bill Graham's funeral.

What a weird coincidence, after reading about the soundcheck of the song on @U2!

And I have to say that Bono's version of "Hallelujah" is really, really horrendous.

Here:

U2 film video with Leonard Cohen:

U2 were in New York City's lower east side this afternoon at a small club called The Slipper Room, filming a video for "Tower of Song" with its songwriter, Leonard Cohen. The legendary poet/songwriter from Montreal arrived fashionably late to the video shoot with Larry Mullen and Paul McGuinness.

U2 have been rehearsing "Tower of Song" while they have been touring. Earlier this week, fans overheard the band perform the song during their soundcheck in Philadelphia.

There's another thread on here somewhere about how it's for a

documentary by Lunson (sp?) about Cohen. That also Nick Cave and someone else will be doing songs for it

(I was psyched to hear that cuz I love Nick Cave's cover of Hallelujah...I still haven't brought myself to listen to Bono's version...I wish he'd do a 'normal' runthru of it, but I can see how it isn't really somehow maybe suited to his voice and style...now Tower of Song however! yes, that would be great...I can give myself the happy day's project of listening to I'm your Fan and deciding what else I'd love to hear the lads do...like maybe a Fly version of "who by fire"?)

cheers all...

goodness...to hear them practice Tower of Song during Soundcheck must have been thrilling!

Oh god I'm so embarassed :reject:

I'm always confusing Nick Cave and John Cale...it's so fucking pathetic of me!
I just pulled out the "I'm Your Fan" cd and realized...sorry!
I decidely *don't* like *Nick Cave's* cover of Tower of Song..blech. But I do still love *John Cale*'s version of Hallelujah...am I hallucinating (wouldn't be the first time...) or has John Cale also done a cover of TowerofSong? I know it's not just Leonard Cohen himself I'm hearing in my head sing that tune...
And I can't imagine Nick Cave --now that I get reminded who he is!--covering hallelujah!
I feel so stupid...
I'll embarrass myself further and say that I like Rufus Wainwright's version of Hallelujah for the Shrek soundtrack too!

and I really like REM's cover of "First we take Manhattan" on that I'm your fan cd ...

cheers...

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
I just got done reading "Killing Bono," and Neil McCormick said Bono sang "Tower of Song" in 1996 at Bill Graham's funeral.

What a weird coincidence, after reading about the soundcheck of the song on @U2!

And I have to say that Bono's version of "Hallelujah" is really, really horrendous.

Really? I rather liked it. It is quite different though, so I can see how those who liked the original might not like Bono's version. However, one thing I like about U2/Bono doing covers is that they add their own feel to it. "Night & Day" is an excellent example of this. All other artists did this like a classic showtune. However, U2 examined the very dark lyrics and realized it was a song about a truly obsessed individual. As such, they created their outstandingly dark, haunting version of it. Those who loved the showtunes version might hate U2's remake, but I adore it.

Back
Top Bottom