tough luck for bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
just heard that in Ireland they are banning all public smoking. EVEN IN PUBS! what will bono do?

(this is good thing for him, i think we can all agree)

(but i do think, we all give him too hard of a time for his habit!)

what you heard is true..here is the article from CNN

DUBLIN, Ireland (AP) -- Ireland will outlaw smoking in all enclosed workplaces, including pubs, on March 29, the Dublin government has announced.

"I'm confident that this landmark legislation will contribute to protecting the health of the nation," Health Minister Micheal Martin told a Dublin press conference.

"Quite frankly, people should not have to be unwillingly exposed to this toxic substance in enclosed work spaces," he said. "The bottom line is you don't have to be a smoker to get cancer from smoking."

Martin, who has rejected pressure from pub owners to permit special sections for smokers, originally had hoped to introduce the ban on January 1.

The ban's introduction has been pushed back to enable amendments that, in turn, required approval from the European Commission. The deadline for other EU countries to object to the Irish plans expired Tuesday.

As amended, the ban would not apply in bed-and-breakfasts, hotel rooms, prisons and mental hospitals.

An association of pub and hotel owners is vowing to challenge the ban in court, which could complicate its launch. Leaders of Ireland's more than 10,000 pubs say the ban will be impossible to enforce, particularly on busy weekend nights.

At least in Ireland, national laws and stuff can be passed during the year, not on December 31 or January 1

That stuff pisses me off

Hmm, when I was in Dublin, they said it would be in February when the ban would take place, they might push it back again.

They really don't play around though, the cigarettes over there have, in bold black letters, "smoking kills,"etc. Get right to the point.

Last edited:
What about the Clarence? They OWN it, don't they have some say? I think they'll find a way to get around it, after all money talks;)

U2Kitten said:
What about the Clarence? They OWN it, don't they have some say? I think they'll find a way to get around it, after all money talks;)

Doubtful. As owners of the Clarence, they're no different than all the other local pub owners. If the government bans something, I think that's pretty much absolute.

hasn't this happened in New York too? Heard a bouncer got stabbed and killed for telling someone to put their fag out! I'm all for it despite being a smoker myself (giving up next month!) I feel people have more right to clean air then the right of a smoker to light up and pollute someone else's airspace! If your a smoker and know your not allowed to smoke in certain places you tend to forget about wanting a fag and before you realised it, you gone a few hours without one! as fags are nearly 5 quid a packet over here its just getting to expensive! But I'm giving up for my health, I don't want to become another statistic!

Pollute their airspace? But, don't most people who drink and hang out in bars also smoke? All the people I know who go to bars do both. I know people who smoke and don't drink, but I've never known anybody who drank and hung in bars who didn't smoke too. It's part of the scene, sit there and drink and chain smoke. I could never imagine someone sitting in a bar drinking and laughing and getting wasted going, hey buddy, get that cig out of here you're polluting my airspace. Maybe in resturants but not bars.

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter who smokes, who drinks, who doesn't, or how it's been in the past. The only thing that matters is that smoking is life threatening to the smoker AND everyone else around and there's no good reason NOT to ban smoking in public buildings.

Yeah, there's no smoking allowed in bars, pubs, or restaurants in Vancouver. The rest of BC requires at least a sealed off smoking section. In Vancouver, it's never been a problem. People have a great time drinking without smoking. If they want to smoke, they just go outside.

LOL @ health conscious drunks :laugh: ;) I must say I am really surprised some of you feel that way. But couldn't there at least be a smoking and non smoking section in bars? My husband, like Bono, would be one sore customer if he couldn't chain smoke while getting drunk. It all comes down to rights, like, someone's right to smoke vs. someone's right not to smell it, like my right to play my stereo vs. someone's right not to hear it. But there should be a compromise besides sending them outside alone in the cold. I think dividing the place into smoking and nonsmoking would be best. Also think about this, when people get drunk some can get aggravated and get a bad temper faster. What's going to happen when they come up and ask some wasted guy to put out his cigarette? Barroom brawl? Even though I don't smoke, I am kind of disturbed by the witch hunt and persecution of smokers these last few years. :uhoh::|

Last edited:
It's just NOT worth it. After seeing the effcts of smoking on my grandpa and father, nothing will change my mind. (and neither of them disagree with this type of law). Besides, going to a pub or restaurant isn't always about getting trashed. There are plenty of classy places that would be much improved without a think haze of black smoke. Dividing space doesn't work; the smoke permeated EVERYTHING and it's disgusting. My favorite family restaurant where kids go for birthday parties has smoking and non sections, but it's really worthless since the smoke drifts everywhere and I smell like an ashtray when I get home. I guess my arguement would be, two wrongs don't make a right; getting drunk to the point of being violent + smoking and endangering the health of others = stupid, not OK.

It's too late for Bono to quit smoking. Smoking already shot his voice, and even if he quits today, he may still die of lung cancer at a much later age because of the smoking he did when he was younger and that he quit too late.

Cheers,

J

Also what brought it home to me was my aunt having a 5 hour operation to remove half a lung (lifelong smoker) and now currently undergoing chemo. I had already made the decision I was going to give up before I found out about her health.

I don't know what it is like round where you live U2kitten but around here in pubs and clubs smokers are certainly in the MINORITY and also non smokers like to go out and have a few drinks and there are more of them then smokers, granted you get the mindless minority that get violent when drunk but again they are a minority and its not something you see everytime you visit a pub! I guess smoking will be driven underground with illegal smoking clubs forming! lol

no more clothes smelling of smoke for days after following a night in an Irish pub? man, its like salt and pepper, fish and chips, U2 and good music.. drinking and smoking.. it goes together. Being Irish, it always added to the ambience. Yeah i realise the health issues etc.. getting drunk twice a week probably does as much damage... but... one of few pleasures in life is having a beer and fag.....

what a bomb! said:
But I'm giving up for my health, I don't want to become another statistic!

:applaud: Glad to hear it! I'm always happy to hear when someone's quitting smoking (I wish my brother would... :( ) Don't be afraid to use the patch or go to a group like Smokenders to help you quit; nicotine is a difficult habit to give up, and there's nothing wrong with asking for help. I wish you the best of luck. :up:

jick said:
It's too late for Bono to quit smoking. Smoking already shot his voice, and even if he quits today, he may still die of lung cancer at a much later age because of the smoking he did when he was younger and that he quit too late.

As long as you are alive, it is never too late to quit smoking. http://www.lungusa.org/tobacco/quit_ben.html
The body heals itself when you stop smoking.

U2Kitten said:
It all comes down to rights, like, someone's right to smoke vs. someone's right not to smell it, like my right to play my stereo vs. someone's right not to hear it.

That's not a valid comparison at all. The reason people are for the banning of smoking in public places is not because they are offended by the SMELL of it, but because it is actually toxic and deadly for humans to breathe. This has been a scientifically proven fact for many years now. When you smoke, you are not just harming yourself, but everyone around you. No one should have the right to hurt other people.

But there should be a compromise besides sending them outside alone in the cold. I think dividing the place into smoking and nonsmoking would be best.

Dividing places into smoking and non-smoking section is old news. It's been tried for a long time now and simply doesn't work for the reason Livluv pointed out. Smoke can't be contained. It drifts over partitions and through cracks and doors. This isn't a valid solution.

Even though I don't smoke, I am kind of disturbed by the witch hunt and persecution of smokers these last few years. :uhoh::|

Frankly I'm disturbed that anyone would consider the common sense measures being taken to protect individuals from this toxic smoke a witch hunt or persecution. Like I said before, no one should have the right to harm other people, and that is exactly what is happening when a smoker lights up in a public establishment.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5114a2.htm

Last edited:
jick said:

Cheers,

J

It's never too late to quit smoking.

My mother died (age 71) of lung and brain cancer brought on by smoking. She managed to quit (in her 50's) and lived to enjoy things like grandchildren and retirement.

It's never too late to quit smoking.

I heard that when the law is enforced many Publicans will call the Garda every hour on the hour saying "I've somebody in my pub smoking a cigarette and they won't put it out...". How would the Cops manage that??!!

That would be classic.

Drinking, smoking, nicotine stained bars and smelly toilets are all part of the ever changing Dublin that I love. Rules rules rules and more rules seem to be taking over. Surely there can be a compromise on this one? Air conditioning?

:shrug:

I can understand the viewpoint of pubs being a place where traditionally one can smoke and drink, and perhaps there should be some allowance for a pub. Where I live we have a non-smoking ban in all restaurants and workplaces, but not in bars.

However, what are you really depriving people of by telling them they can't smoke in a pub? The opportunity to destroy their bodies even more and those of the individuals around them? Traditions can be great, but not all are good to uphold, especially when years of scientific research has proven a tradition to be unhealthy and even deadly.

The only reason I can imagine anyone would not be in favor of a ban on smoking in public places is either absolute ignorance of the deadliness of cigarette smoke or selfish desire to gratify their addiction.

maude said:
The only reason I can imagine anyone would not be in favor of a ban on smoking in public places is either absolute ignorance of the deadliness of cigarette smoke or selfish desire to gratify their addiction.

:yes: and saying that we should forget about the ban b/c it's going to be impossible to enforce is really weak arguement, IMO. So we should stop prosecuting murderers b/c people still murder? :rolleyes: The ban will only be impossible to enforce b/c people are too arrogant to get over it and do/not do what they're told to do/not do.

Back
Top Bottom