Top 5 most underrated U2 songs EVER!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
My picks:

1. Miami - coolest, most badass U2 song ever?

2. Red Light - that sax solo and that bass :drool:

3. The Playboy Mansion - Except for the dated intro, this song is just beautiful overall :heart:

4. Love Rescue Me - I absolutely love those lyrics!

5. The Refugee - Larry on fire!!! :rockon:

And no, I'm not confusing "bad" for "underrated" :|

1. Gone

2. Kite

3. Acrobat

4. Zooropa

5. Crumbs From Your Table

These songs would also work in a thread titled:

"The Best U2 songs ever"

Admit it - you started this thread just to defend Red Light, didn't you? :wink:

I don't think sax solos have any place in a U2 song.

I can stand up for Miami and Love Rescue Me.

1. 4th Of July: It's a nice little interlude, and provides a good segue between Promenade and Bad.
2. Indian Summer Sky: I cannot fathom why this doesn't get more love here. In atmosphere, it feels like a precursor to the darkness of Bullet, and it has great pace.
3. Wild Irish Rose: Bono's lyricism at its poetic best, accompanied by music that creates exactly the right atmosphere.
4. Grace: Barring the "it's a name for a girl" line that everyone loves to hate, this is one of Bono's best lyrical efforts post-Pop, and the music has a great subtle beauty.
5. One Step Closer: One of the very best songs on HTDAAB. I remember when HTDAAB was released, I described this song as being like a fine wine that doesn't hit you immediately but needs to be savoured in order for its delicious texture to be fully revealed. And like a fine wine, it has gotten better with age. It is pretty much the only HTDAAB track that really strives to conjure up atmosphere and I think it's beautiful. I don't know why it's subject to such criticism here.

MrBrau1 said:
1. Gone

2. Kite

3. Acrobat

4. Zooropa

5. Crumbs From Your Table

These songs would also work in a thread titled:

"The Best U2 songs ever"

Hahaha please......... those songs are hardly underrated! All of them except Crumbs are actually pretty well loved and popular. :wink:

corianderstem said:
Admit it - you started this thread just to defend Red Light, didn't you? :wink:

No................ :shifty: :wink:

But.. but.. that sax or trumpet or whatever it is sounds sooo good :drool:

1. Zooropa: This is an amazing song that just builds and builds (think Stairway to Heaven or Please)...probably one of the best songs of the 90s, period.
2. Surrender: Great lyrics, one of Bono's few attempts to "pull a Springsteen" and write about characters other than himself (I Fall Down would be another instance of this)
3. Wire: What a monster of a track...one of Edge's best guitar riffs ever.
4. Like A Song...: A song that a lot of people seem to just forget about...great energy from everyone, especially Larry's drumming
5. Do You Feel Loved?: The forgetten track between Discotheque and Mofo with a great bass line and lyrics so good that Bono nearly reused them on "Yakweh."

Ifeelnumb84 said:

2. Surrender: Great lyrics, one of Bono's few attempts to "pull a Springsteen" and write about characters other than himself (I Fall Down would be another instance of this)

4. Like A Song...: A song that a lot of people seem to just forget about...great energy from everyone, especially Larry's drumming
5. Do You Feel Loved?: The forgetten track between Discotheque and Mofo with a great bass line and lyrics so good that Bono nearly reused them on "Yakweh."

:bow: All 3 are under-appreciated gems, right there! :bow:

No spoken words said:
When I Look at the World (disagree, go ahead, but to me, this song is great)

I think it's the only truly great song off ATYCLB (well, it and TGBHF if you have the Aussie edition). It's the only one that has really stood the test of time. Kite would be its equal if it weren't for the intro being so cheesily bad.

Oooooh, I like this thread. Here's my take.

1. Ultraviolet (Light My Way) - Yeah, the chorus is kinda weak, get over it. This song owns your soul, and it definitely deserves to get played again. Help-->Ultraviolet = Jesus. You know it does.

2. Wild Honey - U2's truest attemp at the perfect pop song. It's great. Don't lie to yourself anymore, just embrace it. I don't give a shit whether or not monkey's eat honey, this song's still awesome.

3. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - A highlight of Zoo T.V. for me, this song friggne rocks. No other way around it.

4. Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World - Often labeled as the weakest song on Achtung, and maybe it is, but the Zoo TV performances of this prove how wonderfully it translates into a live setting. It's simply beautiful.

5. One Step Closer - Possibly the best track on HTDAAB, it's just rediculously underrated, and the first song I thought of when I saw this thread, even though it's only #5 for me. Still, come on peeps, this song's gorgeous, and we all owe it to Danny Lanois.

Lancemc said:

2. Wild Honey - U2's truest attemp at the perfect pop song. It's great. Don't lie to yourself anymore, just embrace it. I don't give a shit whether or not monkey's eat honey, this song's still awesome.

:up:

xaviMF22 said:
1. The playboy mansion
5. Miami

:hug: :hug:

Lancemc said:
I don't give a shit whether or not monkey's eat honey, this song's still awesome.

:lol:!!! I like Wild Honey, esp. the guitar after each chorus and the "I'm still standing..." verse.

I don't get the fuss over Kite's last verse either. I actually like it more because it's sort of odd-ball. Up until that points the song's so serious, and it's seriously beautiful, don't get me wrong, but the final verse is almost like Bono finally did come to peace with letting go, and he's now coming to terms with the present and what makes the here and now worth while.

Zootlesque said:
My picks:

1. Miami - coolest, most badass U2 song ever?

2. Red Light - that sax solo and that bass :drool:

3. The Playboy Mansion - Except for the dated intro, this song is just beautiful overall :heart:

5. The Refugee - Larry on fire!!! :rockon:

And no, I'm not confusing "bad" for "underrated" :|

:up:

Promenade
Perhaps the most beautiful song that U2 has ever written. It slips away as wonderfully as it enters the listener's ear like a passing thought on a summer evening.

Miami
Fantastic song.

Wild Honey
Light an beautiful. Edge's chorus guitar is wonderfully restrained.

Grace
Highly underrated and unfairly maligned for a line that is, in fact, quite lovely.

Red Hill Mining Town
A pre-Rattle and Hum song with a Rattle and Hum sound - minus the pretentiousness and stupid live one-liners from Bono ruining it.

Bad- I know people hold it in pretty high esteem here, but I think it deserves more. I think its their best song.

Also,
Wild Honey
Numb
When Love Comes To Town

1. Walk To The Water: The best U2 song in my opinion.
2. Luminous Times: A very powerful vocal performance and song.
3. Deep In The Heart: The sound of sweat and sexual frustration in the darkness.
4. Elvis Presley & America: One of Bono's best vocal performances and great drumming even if it is backwards and slowed down.
5. Love Comes Tumbling: Adam's best song.

1. Trip Through Your Wires - Top 5 quality for me...it's a small masterpiece.

2. Wild Honey - Simply gorgeous. An exciting pop confection.

3. Some Days Are Better Than Others - Funny, catchy lyrics, arguably the best bass riff Adam ever wrote, genius fuzzbox solo. Enough said.

4. The Playboy Mansion - "Then will there be no time for sorrow..." :drool:

5. Red Light - There's nothing wrong with this song; It's genius, and the trumpet solo is sublime. :up:

Honorable mentions: Promenade, Shadows And Tall Trees, I Fall Down, Crumbs From Your Table, New York, A Man And A Woman (OK, pretty much anything from HTDAAB :wink: ), When Love Comes To Town

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
Promenade
Perhaps the most beautiful song that U2 has ever written. It slips away as wonderfully as it enters the listener's ear like a passing thought on a summer evening.

Miami
Fantastic song.

Wild Honey
Light an beautiful. Edge's chorus guitar is wonderfully restrained.

Grace
Highly underrated and unfairly maligned for a line that is, in fact, quite lovely.

Red Hill Mining Town
A pre-Rattle and Hum song with a Rattle and Hum sound - minus the pretentiousness and stupid live one-liners from Bono ruining it.

Amen on Red Hill Mining Down, and Promenade was on my list.

No spoken words said:

Amen on Red Hill Mining Down, and Promenade was on my list.

RHMT is underrated? :huh: I adore the song, but I've never heard anyone say a bad word about it.

When I Look at the World
Wild Honey
Miami
Do You Feel Loved
The Playboy Mansion

Back
Top Bottom