Top 5 Greatest U2 Songs of Your Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All I Want Is You - My older sister used to play it all the time when I was little. Even when I hear it now, it still reminds me of when I was little!

One

With Or Without You

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Bad - Love love LOVE it.

1) Stay : The song that got me into U2. I remember my buddy had Zooropa on cassette tape. I didn't know much about U2 and never realized how diverse they were. We put the album on. Listened thru to this song. My friend was like uhh this song's too slow you want me to flip sides? Hello? Hello??? I was too busy being hypnotized by lyrics and music. The song created a film in my minds eye and I could see what was happening with each passing word and note. I went out the next day and bought the album. The rest is history. U2 immediately became my favorite band.
2) Running To Stand Still: I was listening to Joshua Tree religiously at night with headphones. This song came on I couldn't move. I was so struck by the lyrics and imagery. I had a vision of a strung out girl going in for the plunge one last time. One of the first songs that made me think what was going on outside my bedroom and around the world. And how many people were suffering like the characters in this song. It's one of their heaviest songs and i don't mean sonically or in volume. But you feel everything that's happening. You escape into the song.
3) October: So much is said with so little. There's no other song in their catalog that pinpoints U2's emotional state beyond their music. The band was so close to giving up and this masterpiece is the sound of their self-doubt.
4) Beautiful Day: While it's nowhere near my favorite song, it does host one of my fondest memories. I was driving down the shore listening to K-Rock and was informed the new U2 was coming up. When the song hit that chorus, I was elated. Maybe it was the scenery and the speed of my car, but everything was ecstacy at that moment. I never reached that high again. Kind of depressing.
5) Bad: Was chilling with a gang of people. This song came on and we all stopped talking. We were pretty boozed up. We also were hardcore U2 fans. So we sang along to every note. Voices were cracking all over the place. But it was classic. Then we all did some heroin...no just playing. This song hits my G-spot everytime. I never knew the G-spot was in my ear. Bad helped me find my G-spot.

Last edited:
5 songs that got me into U2? Well, firstly I have to say none of my family or friends is into U2 so I never got influenced by them or had albums to borrow or anything, which is kind of rubbish, lol. Silly parents. Anyway...

1. Angel Of Harlem
I didn't even realise this was my first favourite U2 song until last year I was driving with my dad in his car and stuck on an old, old cassette I'd found in the depths of my room. It was full of songs from the mid-90s when I was about 13-15 and we were listening along and suddenly, on comes Angel Of Harlem in amongst the crap! I was like "Wow, Dad, that's U2, so I DID like them when I was in school!" Lol! It brought back memories of sitting by the radio waiting for that song to come on so I could have it on tape (ah the days of tapes) and loving it to bits. It's such a catchy tune that it really hooked me and led to me buying the 80s Best Of. So that song is really my hook and is why I still adore it to this day.

2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
I still hold to my belief that this is one of the greatest songs ever written. It's one I usually forget to add into lists because it's just THERE and just brilliant. Again, a song I heard when I was much younger but back then I'd no idea it was U2, or who they were or anything. And frankly, when I discovered they had done a show with lemons I was a bit freaked out and decided to avoid all that 'weird stuff' (yeah, shows how much I knew, big 90s U2 freak that I am!). The song, though, is just beautiful and I've always thought so since I heard it and I've never got bored of it.

3. Sweetest Thing
Okay so my reasons for noticing this song were to do with the video. It was 1998, I was about... 14/15 and I was the biggest Boyzone fan ever. And then they were in this random video! My friends and I were like "wow, Boyzone!" paying absolutely no attention to Bono, I'm not even sure we knew who he was or if we did we didn't care because BOYZONE were in the video! Seriously, the excitement, my God. But then once I got over that I actually listened to the song, thought it was so pretty and that again influenced my decision to buy the 80s Best Of. In fact I think I just listened to these 3 songs for about 3 months before putting any others on, haha!

4. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Again, vague childhood memories of hearing this on radio and seeing the cartoon video and being aware it was from the Batman film. Actually, a friend and I were laughing about this on MSN, at how we were so young then and didn't appreciate the sexiness of the song. It's gone from 'ooh, song from Batman' to 'OMG Bono singing orgasm noises WOW'. Yeah, innocence lost but fandom gained! And the first 90s U2 song I got into, cause it had no lemons and I wasn't scared. ;)

5. Stuck In A Moment
I wish people wouldn't knock this song, cause it really and truly hooked me and reeled me in. Mainly because I'd started uni (the first time), I was away from home, getting depression, not enjoying myself and hating everything. I bought ATYCLB before I went on the strength of Beautiful Day but it was Stuck which made me smile and cry and realise that I had to go home and try again, and it wasn't the end of anything. It gave me hope and faith where I don't have any usually, and to this day ATYCLB and this song in particular gets me through the rough times.

And there you have it. :)

I can't say that I can choose 5, but I'll just list some that mean a lot to me.

First, the songs that are most impressive live:
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet the Blue Sky (the Elevation performance was amazing)
The Fly
New Year's Day
Until the End of the World
I Will Follow

Meaningful to me/Favorites:
One: In some was it doesn't fit on Achtung Baby at all, it shares some of the themes but the overall feel is like the anti-thesis of the rest of the album, none the less amazing, this can be amazing live (Live 8, Slane) as well.

"40": Such a simple and powerful song, I find myself singing this song even if I haven't listened to it, I loved it as the closing to the Vertigo DVD and was glad to hear it live on the tour last year.

Fast Cars: I love this song, it's so different for U2 and the sheer energy of this song is amazing showing the future should still be bright for them, was also fortunate enough to hear this live one of the 14 times they played it in the US.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own: Heart-breaking and uplifting all at the same time, absolutely amazing from the lyrtics to the music, a classic in the making (although I don't think it gets enough love on here)

So Cruel: My favorite 90's U2 song that seems to have fallen through the cracks amongst U2 fans, but this song is just indescribable.

And I have to agree with everyone here that the Super Bowl performance has got to be one of the most powerful shows of our time.

Actually, one more: Peace on Earth, I love that under-rated song from ATYCLB, and overall the entire album of October, there are no real stand outs but I think it flows song to song better than any of there albums.

U2 is so big that you cant just point out the 5 greatest. Today im enjoying so much:
1. Peace On Earth
2. Vertigo
3. Red Hill Minning town
4. Two Hearts beat as one
5. So Cruel

Staring At the Sun (live acoustic)

With Or Without You

Where The Streets Have No Names

The Hands that Build America

One

These songs addicted me to U2.

Not necessarily my absolute favorites, but this Fab 5 might be the most influential:

With or Without You: the classic radio staple that convinces you buy your first U2 album

New Year's Day: the piano, the emotional vocals, this one has it all

Running To Stand Still: try listening to this song late at night on repeat, preferably with a good whiskey

Desire: yeah, this band knows how to have some fun too

Stuck In A Moment: some of the most honest lyrics I've ever heard, and this song pushes the envelope a little

Surprisingly, nothing from my first and third favorite albums, AB and Pop.

-I still haven't found what I'm looking for
-One
-Please
-With or without you
-Stay (faraway so close!) and Vertigo, couldn't just take one at the fifth place hehe

In no particular order:

- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For: This was the first U2 song I ever heard, and it blew my mind. I don't know what it is about this song, but it was powerful, and spoke to me in a profound way.

- Streets: My ultimate favourite song. Hearing this live is beyond incredible. I love the words, I love the music, I love it all. It brings me to tears every time I hear it live, and sends shivers up and down my spine. Such a powerful and breathtakingly beautiful song.

- One: The message is something we all need to take to heart. This has always been one of my favourites.

- Walk On: After 9/11, this song became my favourite from ATYCLB. It gave me hope and a reason to live. The last half of 2001 and most of 2002 was such an incredibly difficult time for me for so many reasons, but this song literally saved my life. The lyrics are beautiful, and the live versions (especially the ones immediately after 9/11) are so poignant and moving.

- Please: I love this song live - for some reason the Rotterdam version is the one that sticks out in my mind. It rocks my socks off.

It's so hard to choose just 5! :D

Desire: 1st song that I heard consciously.... it was in 1989-90, quickly got nuts about U2:wink:

One: 1st love song that I danced with....:sexywink:

Zoo Station: 1st song that I saw live in my life....it was in Lausanne 1992 and I was paralysed.... still am...

Like a song: My favourite U2 song, I will never see it live, like 99% of us..... but still is the best one!

Bad: Best U2 live performance ever (R&H), maybe the greatest performance of any band ever.....

Bonus song..... Acrobat.....:drool:

1. One-first U2 song I ever really paid attention to. It also helped me through a difficult time in my life. It opened me up to a whole new world of music as well.
2. Streets-helps me remember why I became a fan in the first place. I still get chills even though I've heard it a thousand times.
3. Walk On-got me through another hard time in my life.
4. Pride-my dad told me when I first bought the cd that Pride is amazing when played really loud...that's a great memory because it's one of the first times he took an interest in anything I was doing.
5. Bullet the Blue Sky-probably my all time favorite song and it absolutely blew me away the first time I saw U2 live.

My Top 5 U2 songs:

1.Where the streets have no name
2.Pride
3.With or without you
4. Angel of harlem
5.Desire

These were the songs that made me love U2 for the first time, i associate parts of my life to these songs!
Streets can make me cry at times!

One- The story behind it is basically its the reason me and my girlfriend are still together...after taking a long walk after a big fight, and after hearing this song I decided our time wasn't up..this song majorly pushed me in that direction.

Where the streets have no name

City of Blinding Lights-I remember watching the Dvd, with my girlfriend on christmas night at her house...and she was actually singing the words to me in my ear while we were watching it, and she is not a U2 fan..it meant alot to me.

Stay-A powerful, touching song, that has been there at many points in my life.

With or Without You-The first U2 song I ever heard, many memories.

loverippedaway said:
One- The story behind it is basically its the reason me and my girlfriend are still together...after taking a long walk after a big fight, and after hearing this song I decided our time wasn't up..this song majorly pushed me in that direction.

Where the streets have no name

City of Blinding Lights-I remember watching the Dvd, with my girlfriend on christmas night at her house...and she was actually singing the words to me in my ear while we were watching it, and she is not a U2 fan..it meant alot to me.

Stay-A powerful, touching song, that has been there at many points in my life.

With or Without You-The first U2 song I ever heard, many memories.

City of Blinding Lights on the DVD.... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

With or Without You - The first U2 song I ever heard. I knew I had a new favorite band before it was even finished.

Sunday Bloody Sunday (live) - In 1987 MTV used to play the video of this song from Red Rocks, even though it was a few years old at the time. It was not only yet another amazing U2 song I discovered during that magical year, but my first exposure to what U2 was like live.

Mysterious Ways - The radio station where I live never played The Fly when AB came out. I wasn't even aware U2 had a new album out until I heard Mysterious Ways on the radio. This was my first experience with U2's reinvented '90s self, and I remember loving it but also hardly believing it could be U2!

One - The first time I heard it, I had a feeling it was going to be my generation's Imagine. Actually, I think it is a way better song than Imagine, and this is coming from a huge John Lennon fan.

Acrobat - I was having a very bad time personally when AB came out. I always felt like Bono was singing this song especially to me because it seemed to fit what was going on in my life perfectly. I'd felt that with other U2 songs before, like with Streets, but that coincided with a much happier time in my life. I think the songs that you connect to when you are unhappy have the bigger impact.

These 5 Songs got me into U2.

- Sunday Bloody Sunday
- With Or Without You
- Even Better Than The Real Thing
- One
- Beautiful Day

Even though I like U2 before ATYCLB was released, ATYCLB was the album that made U2 my favorite band. It's strange now because I don't listen to it that often.

The Handes That Build America
With Or Without You
Electrical Storm
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Please

Back
Top Bottom