Top 5 Edge Guitar Solos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Studio:
1. New Years' Day
2. The Fly
3. All I Want is You
4. Until The End of The World
5. Even Better Than The Real Thing

Live:
1. Mysterious Ways
2. 11 o' Clock Tick Tock
3. Love Is Blindness
4. Bullet The Blue Sky
5. Last Night on Earth

So many choices....... Heres my 5. In order.

1. Love Is Blindness (Live and studio; This one seems to speak more than any other one; as if its telling us a story)
2. Miracle Drug (That solo is one of his most powerful...)
3. Bullet The Blue Sky (Shows he CAN play like Clapton and all those greats)
4. Electric Co (Gotta love it :wink: )
5. Mysterious Ways (I love how the slide brings the song back)

01 The Fly
02 Acrobat
03 UTEOTW
04 BTBS (live Stay B-side 1993)
05 Love And Peace Or Else

Last edited:
Live
1. Bullet The Blue Sky(Zootv Stockholm)
2. Love Is Blindness (Dublin)
3. Dirty Day (Sydney)
4. The Fly (Elevation Buffalo)
5. Mysterious Ways(Elevation Slane)
Studio
1. The Fly
2. All I Want Is You
3. UTEOTW
4. Acrobat
5. Bullet The Blue Sky

LAPOE and Electric Co are very close to both top 5's.

any contemplation of how the fly could be omitted from such a list is sacrilege ! SACRILEGE I TELLS YA !

sss

Live
1) Mysterious Ways(Popmart for sure)
2) With Or Without You (Rattle and Hum)
3) Love is Blindness(ZOO TV Sydney)
4) Until The End Of The World(ZOO TV SYDNEY)
5) Bullet The Blue Sky(ZOO Tv and Elevation)
Electric Co. is so close for me too, specially seeing Edge in Amsterdam 2 feet from my face playing.. fuck yeah!

Studio
1. Lady with The Spinning Head(Extended Dance Mix)
2. Until The End Of The World
3. All I Want Is You
4. The Fly
5. Acrobat and New Years Day

Studio:

Acrobat
The Ground Beneath Her Feet (2:28 onwards)
The Fly (bridge and outro, live as well)
Until the End of the World (bridge and outro, live as well)
Lady with the Spinning Head (extended dance mix) or Take You Down (they're basically the same)

Live:

Bullet the Blue Sky (ZooTV)
Love is Blindness (Best version is probably Kiel 6/13/92)
11 'O Clock Tick Tock (UABRS is pretty good)
Please (Popmart into Streets)
New York (outro)

The Edge has never done any "solos" during the songs.
By "solos" I mean something like what Eddie Van Halen does on stage...Jimmy Page...Jimi Hendrix...Joe Satriani...etc.etc.

The Edge just plays GREAT, and that is all I need to hear in U2 music.
If they were going to do "solos" during the songs like most of the rock bands (did and do) that would completely mess up the harmony and that "special sound" that is so perticular to U2´s songs and music and the overall melody/tune.

dude, have you heard the song Street Mission? that's a classic rock n' roll solo.

I am not sure if you were refering to me, but yes. I have heard it. :up:
I must have about 94% of ALL U2´s songs on cd. The regular stuff, the bootleg stuff, the studio stuff. Their music is extraordinairy and I have been a fan since 1983, BUT I have also heard on stage bands like Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, and many many more so I must also say that a "solo" is really something extraordinairy when you listen to how someone like Eddie Van Halen plays his guitar. It is MINDBLOGLING - to put it into one word.
If you ever had a chance to hear him , like I did back in 1984, then you would agree with me.
BUT that is altogether a different type of music.
It´s rock`n´roll played in a diferent style. U2´s music is also a diferent style of rock`n´roll which is great, but there can never be a comparison. NEVER.
The EDGE also has a UNIQUE style of playing, but I can never put him on a pedestal in being a great solo performer...BUT he is GREAT. What I really most admire about the EDGE is his way of inventing new melodies and compositions for the band. He´s the real source for the "sound and melody" after that the rest of the band just fill in th egaps. Like Bono fills in the lyrics, Adam the basslines and Larry the tempo with the drums.

Max_theHitman said:

I am not sure if you were refering to me, but yes. I have heard it. :up:
I must have about 94% of ALL U2´s songs on cd. The regular stuff, the bootleg stuff, the studio stuff. Their music is extraordinairy and I have been a fan since 1983, BUT I have also heard on stage bands like Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, and many many more so I must also say that a "solo" is really something extraordinairy when you listen to how someone like Eddie Van Halen plays his guitar. It is MINDBLOGLING - to put it into one word.
If you ever had a chance to hear him , like I did back in 1984, then you would agree with me.
BUT that is altogether a different type of music.
It´s rock`n´roll played in a diferent style. U2´s music is also a diferent style of rock`n´roll which is great, but there can never be a comparison. NEVER.
The EDGE also has a UNIQUE style of playing, but I can never put him on a pedestal in being a great solo performer...BUT he is GREAT. What I really most admire about the EDGE is his way of inventing new melodies and compositions for the band. He´s the real source for the "sound and melody" after that the rest of the band just fill in th egaps. Like Bono fills in the lyrics, Adam the basslines and Larry the tempo with the drums.

i understand. i'm a Led Zeppelin fan myself, and i know that Jimmy Paige is a better guitarist (technically) than Edge (he's probably the best rock n' roll gutiar player ever). but, personally, i just get sick of listening to flabbergasting solos over and over. everyone knows that you have chops, man. that's why i like the Edge so much. he uses simple, basic guitar to make amazing songs. he's also very underrated, whcih is a shame, but his guitar work is so unique that it doesn't matter.

discothequeLP said:

i understand. i'm a Led Zeppelin fan myself, and i know that Jimmy Paige is a better guitarist (technically) than Edge (he's probably the best rock n' roll gutiar player ever). but, personally, i just get sick of listening to flabbergasting solos over and over. everyone knows that you have chops, man. that's why i like the Edge so much. he uses simple, basic guitar to make amazing songs. he's also very underrated, whcih is a shame, but his guitar work is so unique that it doesn't matter.

RIGHT ON Brother! :rockon:

I´ll defenitly buy you a beer at the local pub whenever I meet you.

Back
Top Bottom