Top 3 U2 songs that would have been huge hits had they been released

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Top 3 U2 songs that would have been huge hits had they been released

wavesofregret said:

While I love all those dearly I don't think they'd be big hits today. Too many people in the mainstream have crap taste.

I'm talking about if they had been released in their own era.

1. Ultraviolet - Very catchy, up-tempo song. Lyrics are ambiguous, but not too heavy. Would have rounded out the AB releases pretty well I think.

2. 3 Sunrises - Had this been released after UF, it would have been a smash. I think it would have fit pretty nicely on either UF or JT actually. It's a spirtitually-slanted U2 song that gives you chills and that spells "big hit" in the 80s

3. One Tree Hill - The mystique surrounding this one - as well as the fact that it's a well put together, approachable song make it a great candidate to have been a super hit in the 80s. There is a station that plays it every so often here in Seattle.

Re: Re: Top 3 U2 songs that would have been huge hits had they been released

wavesofregret said:
Too many people in the mainstream have crap taste.
In that case,

1. "Miami"
2. "Boomerang II"
3. "Elevation" (oh wait, that one was released, wasn't it?)

1. Pete The Chop- Very direct, driving, passionate sound. catchy tempo.

2. Boomerang- Ever listen to this with base cranked up all the way? No doubt, my favorate baseline of ANY u2 song!

3. Three Sunrises- has a catchy "tropical island" sound to it

On this thread, I've noticed One Tree Hill mentioned as if it hasn't been released as a single. To my knowledge, that is false: it was actually released in a single in Australia and New Zealand (don't know if it was a completely separate release or replaced In God's Country, but I'm positive it was released as a single over here).

Now, to answer the original question of this thread;

- Bad (This really should've been released. I have no idea why it wasn't)
- A Sort Of Homecoming
- Seconds

It was too hard to choose, really. Stuff like Tomorrow, The Three Sunrises, The Electric Co. (UABRS), Gone, and all that really should've been released. I once did a chart of the 148 U2 songs I either have on CD or on my hard drive (and I was going to omit those from videos but loved 3 so much I had to add them), and all the songs down to about 133 I thought should've been released as singles (if they hadn't been already). To me, it's irrelevant if they would've been big hits or not - they're marvellous songs and should've been released. The general public seems to have crap tastes so if it charted or not, it wouldn't bother me too much.

i forgot about the ground beneath her feet. i'm confused..i thought it was a single. there is a cd single of it and a video.

Seems like Gone is the common song here we all wish would have been a single.

OK, here's a question, what songs do you think SHOULDN'T have been singles?

I gotta go with Last Night On Earth and When Love Comes To Town - great songs both, but I think Do You Feel Loved/Gone or God Part II would have been better choices.

Back
Top Bottom