Top 10 Overrated Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. Bad
2. Like a song
3. Acrobat
4. Please
5. Do you feel loved
6. Elvis Presley and America
7. Indian summer sky
8. Yahweh (studio version)
9. Kite
10. Gone

shaun vox said:
VERTIGO!!!!

hello hello shut up!!!

:laugh: :yes:

for once shaun, I agree with you.

now go listen to some cashmere bazooka.

Bono's shades said:
Beautiful Day
City of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug
Walk On

humph......4 of their best tunes in the last 10 years right there.

Axver said:
1. One [BY FAR!]
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing
3. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
4. Ultra Violet
5. One
6. One
7. One
8. One
9. One
10. Discotheque

F**king legend!!! That's what I said when I saw yours. I apolgise for swearing.

1. One
2. One
3. New York
4. All I Want Is You (the last two or so minutes wrecks the song)
5. One
6. One
7. The Fly
8. Desire
9. One
10. One

I know there are others, but I did this in a hurry. What I do know -

ONE IS EXTREMELY OVERRATED
Anyone who read my Achtung Baby review will know this. That's not to say I don't like. I think it is really good. But it is not 7 or 8 out of 5.

1. Crumbs From Your Table
2. Crumbs From Your Table
3. Crumbs From Your Table
4. Crumbs From Your Table
5. Crumbs From Your Table
6. Crumbs From Your Table
7. Crumbs From Your Table
8. Crumbs From Your Table
9. Crumbs From Your Table
10. Crumbs From Your Table

1) Trip through Your Wires - the worst song U2 have ever done.
2) Trying to Throw Your Arms... - the second worst song U2 have ever done.
3) With or Without You - simple lyrics, simple melody, simple music - just loved because of Bono's emotion
4) Please - of the anti-war songs, this is by far the weakest
5) Crumbs from Your Table - good song in theory, but not in execution.
6) Miss Sarajevo - beautiful lyrics, but only comes alive during the operatic part, otherwise, it's a very boring song
7 & 8) Babyface & Some Days... - one of these two songs should have been left off the album. I was able to stand one, but two that sounded rather similar was just too much. Neither song is that good and would have been better as b-sides.
9) Stuck in a Moment... - I'm glad it was a hit for U2, but yikes, easily my least favorite song from the album.
10) Sometimes... - supposed to be the emotional heart of the album and even tour, but it fails in both. Just doesn't have the oomph or appeal of "One".

Special Mention: I Will Follow - brilliant song, but let's move on already. Tired of hearing it.

Sometimes You Cant Make It on Your Own
Drowning Man
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Out of Control
Gloria
Pride
In God's Country
Even Better than the Real Thing
Dirty Day
All Because of You

I'm trying to figure out which songs I've simply heard too many times versus songs that I feel are overrated versus songs that are overrated on Interference/by hardcore fans.

The following fit in the third category...

1 Kite (am I the only one to think this sounds a little overproduced :reject: )
2 Crumbs
3 Bad (the studio version. Live it cannot be overrated)
4 Last Night on Earth (used to really hate this one, it's grown on me, kind of)
5 In a Little While (actually, with this one I can appreciate it, the sound just isn't my thing)
6 Red Hill Mining Town
7 Stuck (See number 5)
8 New York
9 If God Will Send His Angels (actually, this may not be overrated, it just puts me to sleep)
10 Pride (ok, definatly not overrated here, but I just had to put it in)

Queen Bee said:
1. Crumbs From Your Table
2. Crumbs From Your Table
3. Crumbs From Your Table
4. Crumbs From Your Table
5. Crumbs From Your Table
6. Crumbs From Your Table
7. Crumbs From Your Table
8. Crumbs From Your Table
9. Crumbs From Your Table
10. Crumbs From Your Table

Axver said:
1. One [BY FAR!]
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing
3. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
4. Ultra Violet
5. One
6. One
7. One
8. One
9. One
10. Discotheque

I don't want to be rude Axver, but why do you hate One so much?

*i'm not going to try and change your opinion*

starvinmarvin said:
Here's my list of the Top 10 overrated songs on this board, listed in no particular order. Please compile your own, and then we'll tally the results. Limit your selections to album tracks:

1. October
2. Bullet The Blue Sky
3. Running To Stand Still
4. Dirty Day
5. Please
6. MOFO
7. Acrobat
8. Love Is Blindness
9. Original Of The Species
10. Wild Honey

October? :eyebrow: A song has to be rated first, before it can be over/underrated.

October is kinda overlooked as an album by the general U2 population, (at least the interference population) isn't it?

Bad.
Crumbs.

I can't think of 10 but there's 2, I don't hate them, I just don't like them as much. Don't quite get the 'fuss.' :runs:

Re: Re: Top 10 Overrated Songs

thrillme said:

October? :eyebrow: A song has to be rated first, before it can be over/underrated.

October is kinda overlooked as an album by the general U2 population, (at least the interference population) isn't it?

October, the album, is not overrated. However, I am referring to the song October, which is held in high redard by many, although I think it's the aural equivalent of an underwear skidmark.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I don't want to be rude Axver, but why do you hate One so much?

*i'm not going to try and change your opinion*

I don't hate One. It's a good song, but nowhere close to great, let alone classic. I consider it wildly over-rated in just about every sense of the word.

Axver said:

I don't hate One. It's a good song, but nowhere close to great, let alone classic. I consider it wildly over-rated in just about every sense of the word.

I agree with Axver and actually, I find Stay (faraway, so close) much more emotional and beautiful for me than One, even if I think that One is a great song.

1. Bullet The Blue Frickin' Sky! God, didn't like it when it came out in 1987; don't like it now!
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday - Can be great live, but the album track leaves me cold.
3. Mofo - Good beat, weak chorus.
4. Pride - In '83 when War was all over the place, I was on the verge of becoming a big U2 fan. Then Pride came out. Delayed me from becoming a full blown fan until '87.
5. Out of Control - Ditto to SBS
6. Wake Up Dead Man - More Pink Floyd than U2. Never known anyone that likes this song except Interferencers.
7. Stuck In A Moment - How this made the Billboard Hot 100 and Walk On didn't is beyond me.
8. Even Better Than The Real thing - Ditto to Mofo.
9. Discotheque - That bubblegum line and the "boom-cha"'s make for a rediculous song.
10. In A Little While - It's like a poor summer blockbuster movie. At first blush, pretty good; but upon further reflection, kinda bland.

Special Mentions:

A. New Years Day - I like the song, but it never changes and it's over played. First U2 song I heard/saw on MTV and loved it. But it's faded for me.
B. Numb - Coming Off of the power of Achtung Baby we get Edge's dry vocals and Bono's falsetto. Then there's that fingernails-on-chalkboard guitar slide... :madspit:

Last edited:
One
Please
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
If God Will Send His Angels
Kite
Walk On
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Numb
Lemon
Even Better Than The Real Thing

doctorwho said:
3) With or Without You - simple lyrics, simple melody, simple music - just loved because of Bono's emotion
10) Sometimes... - supposed to be the emotional heart of the album and even tour, but it fails in both. Just doesn't have the oomph or appeal of "One".

I defintiely agree with you on those two. Especially With Or Without You. Apart from the opening verses the rest of the song reads like this -

With Or Without You
With Or Without You
I can't live
With Or Without You

Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

And you give yourself away
And you give
And you give

With Or Without You....

One is a far better than Sometimes. The chorus to Sometimes is alright, but the rest sorta shits me.

Back
Top Bottom