Today it's time to rediscover: BOY/Twilight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flameandthefire

The Fly
Hi,

Peaceful Saturday to you all! Do like I just did - grab your BOY CD from the bookshelv, wipe the dust away and listen to some old U2 again - rediscover Twilight!

Damn, OK, Boy was released in 1980 so I would imagine Twilight was written in 1979. Guys were about 19 years old and wrote such masterpieces as Twilight back then!

"My teacher told my why I laugh when old men cry" line obviously is true story from Bonos childhood when his mother died. You know, it sounds unbelievable, but sometimes people laugh when they lose someone close because the stress is so high. It just happens and its impossible to control.

-----

EDIT:

"in the shadow boy meets man"

Now I get this line! It's not about two persons, but one. His world is all black (Bono is in the shadow) because his mother has died and he becomes man and loses his childhood as a result of this tragedy.

Last edited:
flameandthefire said:
Damn, OK, Boy was released in 1980 so I would imagine Twilight was written in 1979. Guys were about 19 years old and wrote such masterpieces as Twilight back then!

Probably 1978, actually. There's an early version of Twilight recorded in February 1979 that's on the Another Day single, so I think it's plausible to say that if the band felt it was good enough to record in February '79, it wasn't a sudden newcomer and so was probably "born" in 1978.

And it's definitely one of my favourite tracks on Boy (though the aforementioned early version is hilariously bad - and I mean hilariously). I just wish they'd bring it back live. It's been 23 years too many since it was played last.

flameandthefire said:

"My teacher told my why I laugh when old men cry" line obviously is true story from Bonos childhood when his mother died. You know, it sounds unbelievable, but sometimes people laugh when they lose someone close because the stress is so high. It just happens and its impossible to control.

Well, that's certainly a valid interpretation, but interestingly enough Bono has said it's about in health class when the teacher is talking about erectile disfunction in older men and the teenage boys are all laughing their asses off. :wink:

Dana

Twilight live at Red Rocks and live at Loreley back in '83 were astonishing!

Re: Re: Today it's time to rediscover: BOY/Twilight!

Axver said:
I just wish they'd bring it back live. It's been 23 years too many since it was played last.

I agree , they should bring it back the way they brought back An Cat Dubh \ Into The Heart.

Twilight is one the best tunes on Boy.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Gonna listen to it again....NOW!!!!

Twilight is amazing.

In the "Red Rocks" version, when Edge hits the opening riff i always get goosebumps

Axver said:

Probably 1978, actually. There's an early version of Twilight recorded in February 1979 that's on the Another Day single, so I think it's plausible to say that if the band felt it was good enough to record in February '79, it wasn't a sudden newcomer and so was probably "born" in 1978.

And it's definitely one of my favourite tracks on Boy (though the aforementioned early version is hilariously bad - and I mean hilariously). I just wish they'd bring it back live. It's been 23 years too many since it was played last.

This and "Another Time, Another Place!"

I have always loved that song, from the first time I heard it while sitting in the parking lot at McDonald's with a buddy of mine before we went in and got one of those greaseburgers, d'oh, I mean Big Macs, until the last time I heard it, which was just a few days ago on my itunes.

To this day, I freakin' love, love, love the guitar solo. I still think it is one of the coolest solos I have ever heard, period.

And yes, Boy is woefully underrated in U2's catalog.

rihannsu said:

Well, that's certainly a valid interpretation, but interestingly enough Bono has said it's about in health class when the teacher is talking about erectile disfunction in older men and the teenage boys are all laughing their asses off. :wink:

Dana

:lol: I have never heard about this! What a trivial explanation for these particular lyrics. Bono is such a cheeky guy.

Since I've started listening to U2's studio albums again recentyl, after many months of live recordings only, I will try to get into the very old stuff again as well.

Re: Re: Re: Today it's time to rediscover: BOY/Twilight!

last unicorn said:

:lol: I have never heard about this! What a trivial explanation for these particular lyrics. Bono is such a cheeky guy.

Since I've started listening to U2's studio albums again recentyl, after many months of live recordings only, I will try to get into the very old stuff again as well.

Well, he was eighteen or even younger when he wrote it, so it actually makes more sense considering teenage boys have sex on the brain. Bono has been described by many of his friends as one very horny guy. :wink:

Dana

Back
Top Bottom