To the Dissatisfied

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

devalera1

The Fly
To those of you who are unhappy with your subscriptions to U2.com, I would suggest not re-upping in a year. That way the rest of us who are satisfied with our subscriptions won't have to endure endless threads about how unhappy you are.

devalera1 said:
To those of you who are unhappy with your subscriptions to U2.com, I would suggest not re-upping in a year. That way the rest of us who are satisfied with our subscriptions won't have to endure endless threads about how unhappy you are.

to the dillusional above.
If you were with them from the very beginning or even in the 80's& 90's. You would understand how this all really worked.

Alas. The boat just dropped you off...:rolleyes:

The boat didnt just drop me off and I am in agreement the fans on this board wine and complain about every single thing that is ever done by U2...not only the tickets and the presale, but everything right down to what colour Bono's shit is.

No servers in the world could have handled the number of hits that the presale was giving it and it will be the same in the general sale, speeds arent fast enough and bandwidth certainly isnt large enough. There were mistakes made but in the end if you didnt get a ticket there is always the general sale where the other 90 percent of the seats are going on sale....and dare i say more because most cities will probably add an extra date.

I am sick and tired of every person on here bashing what is being done by U2, ticketwise, album wise, personal issues it really comes down to this if you are percistant enough you will get tickets whether they are in the presale or not, and there is other things offered for that subscription other then the presale. Never seen a bigger batch of babies then there is on this site.

I got into the general sale in the UK last night and I was trying it for awhile just to experiment it took me about 40 minutes to get in but I did get the option to select GA tickets for the second London show if I wanted them. To the people that think its going to take 2 minutes to get into the site its not happening...there are 10s of thousands of people on that ticketmaster site all at the same time....roll the dice and hope for some luck in the end youlle find a way to get tickets if you really want them.

You know I agree with Yahweh, and devalera1. I've been a U2 fan since 1983, and yes even though I belonged to Propaganda I have had trouble purchasing tickets in the past. During the first leg of the Elevation Tour I purchased $85 seats that put me behind the stage. During the second leg I got seats in the upper atmosphere, but I went enjoyed the show and thanked God that I didn't have to battle everyone on TM.

The $40 you spent doesn't guarantee anyone anymore than most of us got. I feel sorry for those who are dumping their tickets in protest. Guess what, someone else will gobble up those tickets and your protest will be null and void.

Look, what happened on Tuesday was no fun for anyone, including myself. At one point I thought I'd missed out completely, but I got my tickets and I'm happy. There are things that TM have fixed to make sure the Internal System problems are no longer an issue, so don't confuse system problems with some conspiracy to leave you out.

FanFire is the one charging you $40 not U2. U2 probably see very little of that $40 after FanFire takes $20 and $10 goes to the Web company and $5 goes to overhead. So these ridiculous claims of U2 pocketing $4 million are just dumb.

Have fun wearing your T-shirts, and reading your bumper stickers. I hope they make up for the missing the show.

Last edited:
I'm so sick and tired of people complaining about the people who are unhappy. I never thought this before this week, but I'm starting to think a lot of U2 fans are blind followers. U2 made an easy $4 million off of the subscription and they damn well should have made sure it would have come off smoothly. Don't blame the subooridinates, U2 is the boss.

As for the comment that no server could handle the number of hits that ticketmaster/u2.com got for the presale.... You can't be serious can you? There are servers that handle much much more traffic than that daily.

Give me examples of that I am in the Information Technology field and will shoot you down very easy.

The number of hits that ticketmaster.com takes for a major event in a short period of time would crash any cluster aragement of servers that you could ever think about aranging.

Yahweh said:
Give me examples of that I am in the Information Technology field and will shoot you down very easy.

Well, considering the other night I talked to my brother and all his good friends who are computer engineers(and in the genius range)--keep up servers for some of the largest banks the U.S. When I told them what happened for this presale- at the absolute maximum 100,000 going online- they laughed thier asses off and said that was completely ridiculous-espcially considering that 100,000 was the world total- split that in time zones and you have more like maybe 15,000 trying to access tickets at the same time. That's nothing if you have it planned out and as large of organizations as Ticketmaster and U2.com. The problem is plain and simple-- piss poor planning. You still gonnna try to say that no server's can handle that? What a joke.

Yahweh said:
The number of hits that ticketmaster.com takes for a major event in a short period of time would crash any cluster aragement of servers that you could ever think about aranging.

I think that Ticketmaster knows that their servers will crash a couple of times a year due to excess demand. However, most of the times it will go OK (I don't think their servers crashed when Van Halen was having its ticket sales, or R.E.M., etc.). But I think that to them the extra costs to prevent this crashing do not weigh up against lost sales and dissatisfied customers.
So indeed, they do not do it on purpose (although they might expect it), but don't expect them to have corrected this for the fall tour either.

C ya!

Marty

starsgoblue said:

If we all agreed with each other on everything THEN we'd be blind followers. Your logic is amusing.

I'm saying blind followers in "u2 can do no wrong." There are an aweful lot of people who will write off any bad thing U2 does--try to find an excuse for them. I think the sad fact is people don't want to realize that their favorite band screws them over at times.

Banks also take in trillions of dollars a year and yes even banks do crash. They are also generally running off the backbone of the entire Internet and Ticketmaster does not have that option.

I have to respond to caylan. I've been a big fan since 1982. My first show was at the Orpheum Theater in Boston in May, 1983, and I've seen 41 shows since then. I've had great seats at shows, I've had lousy seats at shows. Regardless, I've loved every show I've seen.

As a fan of their music, I'm just glad that after 25 years, they're still making it. No other band in history has had this long a run without lineup changes. No other band has maintained strong creative output for this long.

I understand how this all really works, but the reality is that you were promised NOTHING by U2.com other than a chance at the best seats. If you got seats, be happy - you're going to see one of the best live acts there is. If you didn't, line up this weekend to buy tickets.

I'm just tired of all of the moaning about the band - if I didn't know better, I would swear that Henry Rollins has infiltrated the site.

Yahweh said:
Banks also take in trillions of dollars a year and yes even banks do crash. They are also generally running off the backbone of the entire Internet and Ticketmaster does not have that option.

What do banks have to do with it? I talked to highly intelligent people who work with servers for a living, and they said that for a company as large as Ticketmaster definitely be able to handle perhaps 15,000 people within a few seconds.

My brother put it another way. The "World of Warcraft," a game server, has up to 3000 people playing simultaniously--and video games take many many times MUCH more bandwidth than a simple webpage and checkout. How can a game site have the bandwidth and a huge company not have it??

And one other thing on the Ticketmaster servers question that ImOuttaControl mentions - you are assuming that the only people going to the Ticketmaster website at the time were 100K U2 fans. Not very likely. I'd be willing to bet that they got a fair amount of global traffic for other events.

devalera1 said:
And one other thing on the Ticketmaster servers question that ImOuttaControl mentions - you are assuming that the only people going to the Ticketmaster website at the time were 100K U2 fans. Not very likely. I'd be willing to bet that they got a fair amount of global traffic for other events.
\

Nope, I said 100,000 total for the whole presale...well, the presale took place in many different timezones, so I would say at any given time there were what, maybe 15K people going for the presale. Yes there was other traffic, but any responsible company would have planned better.

The difference is in the way they access the site once the connection is made its fine. There is a big difference between 3000 direct connections to a server and 100 thousand people trying to access a ticket database within a few seconds.

The reality is that Ticketmaster only plans for what they would consider to be average traffic handled in a day and U2 does not fall into that realm. Very few companies are going to pay 5 times as much for equipment when the equipment they already have works 99 percent of the time.

ImOuttaControl said:
\

Nope, I said 100,000 total for the whole presale...well, the presale took place in many different timezones, so I would say at any given time there were what, maybe 15K people going for the presale. Yes there was other traffic, but any responsible company would have planned better.

If that was the case (15K people going for the presale), then everyone would have gotten tickets as there would've been enough tickets for everyone...

Popmartijn said:

If that was the case (15K people going for the presale), then everyone would have gotten tickets as there would've been enough tickets for everyone...

Never said 15K people going for the presale total. I said that 100,000 total subscribers were split into a bunch of different timezones, so it's not like everyone with a presale code was trying to get on at the same time.

I know exactly what happened at TM, it had nothing to do with connections or servers, it was truly an "internal system" problem. I'm not a liberty to discuss, but trust me it was fixed.

As for the blind followers, those who are blind with anger can't see past their own noses.

If you don't like what color shampoo Bono uses, what Edge's favorite sexual position is, how Adam has let his gray hair come in, how Larry is using aging creams, then shut up. Everything bothers these so called U2 diehards. They complain about the album, concert setlist, U2.com, the presale, cities on the first leg of the tour, etc, etc, etc. There is nothing that satisfies these dam people. Don't come tp the concert! My hunch is these same bastards who do all the complaining are two faced and go to multiple shows and will write how much they hated the setlist and it was too hot in the arena, etc.

Bottom LIne - If you hate U2 and what they satnd for, hen stay home.

Peole dumping tickets in protest? My God that strikes me as insane!! I've got U2 in my blood. I'd have to be hospitalized to miss this tour.

xana dew said:
Peole dumping tickets in protest? My God that strikes me as insane!! I've got U2 in my blood. I'd have to be hospitalized to miss this tour.

possibly because it is insane :shrug:
Why someone would moan about having bad tickets only to go and dump them and not have tickets full stop is questionable.

mkrieg said:
If you don't like what color shampoo Bono uses, what Edge's favorite sexual position is, how Adam has let his gray hair come in, how Larry is using aging creams, then shut up.

Yahweh said:
...I am in agreement the fans on this board wine and complain about every single thing that is ever done by U2...not only the tickets and the presale, but everything right down to what colour Bono's shit is.

People who "wine" may be irritating, but they're also exhibiting a perfectly normal human response to unpleasant surprises and disappointments.

It won't last, any more than fake-Edge-fury did. This month, it's all fire-and-brimstone about fraud and betrayal; next month, we'll all be back to navel-gazing about shit that REALLY matters, like what is everyone's ideal Pop tracklisting.

Meanwhile, since YOU are apparently the last word on stoicism in the face of adversity, why not demonstrate some of the restraint you rush to attack others for not having--by calming down, stepping back, and letting time run its heel-wounding course.

devalera1 said:

people have a right to express their views which is a great thing about this forum and why I enjoy being a part of it. If you do not want to hear about people complain about the site or the situation, simply don't open the threads. It's not rocket science you know :p

Outrage helps bring about some form of change. I'm all for some type of change or a stirring of the pot in respects to the U2 corporation/ machine. It may suck to see calls for boycotts, lawsuits, and intense "whining," but sometimes stuff like that has to happen for a big machine like the U2 corp. to acknowledge fan discontent.

I mean obviously, U2 the band has no "real" control over their image and their daily business operations so they are probably clueless to the massive unrest going on in U2 fandom. The whining helped bring exposure in the media and IMO U2 can't ignore that.

I don't mind the intense whining/ complaining as much b/c if there wasn't any of the "outrage," this issue would have gotten no press and U2 would continue following the policy/ actions that they did for the pre-sale while leaving many fans unhappy and confused.

Look at the whole issue with lyrics/ guitar tabs being forced off U2 fan websites. People were annoyed/ outraged but there was very little response thus no change.

When Radiohead fans found out that Radiohead's recording/ publishing company were forcing fan websites to not post/ host lyrics, the fans displayed similar outrage/ whining (as we're seeing now with the ticket fiasco). In the end, the band/ label allowed Radiohead fan sites to post lyrics. I'm hoping this "outrage" will change U2's way of running U2.com/ presales/ advertising.

I mean, don't people want some things to change?

I enjoy all the bitching and moaning threads/posts...it's great entertainment. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom