To Answer The Last Thread's Question, No (AKA New Album Speculation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no doubt, but I've seen far too many at a U2 concert that cannot dance or clap to the rhythm.

There should be an entry test at the stadium: do you clap on the 2 and the 4? You're in.

If you're clapping on the 1 and the 3, hit the road.

Yes.

And Bono will realize the consequences of his demands for Groovy Fans.

And he'll cry "Come back, ungroovy masses!"

And if you can't manage to clap on any discernible beat, you get blindfolded and thrown into a van, then driven to a secret location where you are forced to learn how to find rhythm by undergoing intense Rhythm Therapy, which can be up to 72 hours of nonstop Black Eyed Peas music and forced dancing.

...which can be up to 72 hours of nonstop Black Eyed Peas music and forced dancing.
I'm okay with the forced dancing, but 72 hours of nonstop Black Eyed Peas music? I'm pretty sure they'd commit suicide as soon as they left the Rhythm Therapy Center.

And if you can't manage to clap on any discernible beat, you get blindfolded and thrown into a van, then driven to a secret location where you are forced to learn how to find rhythm by undergoing intense Rhythm Therapy, which can be up to 72 hours of nonstop Black Eyed Peas music and forced dancing.

Why? They ain't go no rhythm. I mean, did you see the Super Bowl disaster? :up:

Odd, I seem to remember quite clearly Discotheque getting to number one in the UK charts... so some of their fans must have liked that sort of thing, or was I just imagining that whole period in time...

Y'know if they're looking for universal claim for an album from all of their fans, then they might as well just stop chasing their bloody tails now, because they're never going to get it.

Y'know if they're looking for universal claim for an album from all of their fans, then they might as well just stop chasing their bloody tails now, because they're never going to get it.

I would say they almost have universal claim from all fans with JT, but that's about it...

i'm as over Vertigo as anyone on here, but when it first came out in 2004 it was incredibly effective -- they looked fantastic, sounded fantastic, it reached out and grabbed your attention and would have been a top 10 single had downloads been counted. U2 sounded vital and young and as in-your-face as they ever had, and people noticed giving Bomb huge first week sales of over 800,000.

as a first single, it was a complete and total victory, and it's now one of their most recognizable songs and easily one of the crowd highlights of the 360 Tour. we can sound jaded all we want, but Vertigo is as efficient and effective and even ruthless a song as they've ever released, and the non-diehards love it. it really does kick ass, and kicking ass is something U2 usually suck at (see ABOY or GOYB or SUC).

Irvine511 said:
i'm as over Vertigo as anyone on here, but when it first came out in 2004 it was incredibly effective -- they looked fantastic, sounded fantastic, it reached out and grabbed your attention and would have been a top 10 single had downloads been counted. U2 sounded vital and young and as in-your-face as they ever had, and people noticed giving Bomb huge first week sales of over 800,000.

as a first single, it was a complete and total victory, and it's now one of their most recognizable songs and easily one of the crowd highlights of the 360 Tour. we can sound jaded all we want, but Vertigo is as efficient and effective and even ruthless a song as they've ever released, and the non-diehards love it. it really does kick ass, and kicking ass is something U2 usually suck at (see ABOY or GOYB or SUC).

:up:

:up::up:

Vertigo is a catchy number, thanks largely to the riff and the 'Hello hello/ I'm in a place called vertigo' hook. But without the ipod commercial I don't think it would have done much in America. I think some people thought Vertigo was the new "theme song" for the ipod and bought the song on that basis.

Can't believe one of the band, Adam this time, is saying stuff like this again. How many times have we heard this and yet they can't seem to change how they work when they record.

"It's a common U2 problem. I think we probably worked on it and worked on it and worked on it, and instead of executing one idea well, I think we had probably five ideas in the song, and it just confused people. They weren't sure what they were hearing."

:up::up::up:

U2 need more of these songs that simply kicks ass, that you can get into at once and simply enjoy listening to. Songs like IWF, EBTTRT and Vertigo. They're not the best songs they've made but they kick ass and they're easy to like whether you're a diehard U2-fan or a more casual fan. They're simply good, uncomplicated songs that people like.

I don't know whether GOYB was an attempt at doing another one of those, but apparently they failed. It's not a bad song, at least according to me, but it was really confusing at first and hard to get into. They need the exact opposite to get successful singles and to get everyone to enjoy it.

Can't believe one of the band, Adam this time, is saying stuff like this again. How many times have we heard this and yet they can't seem to change how they work when they record.

"It's a common U2 problem. I think we probably worked on it and worked on it and worked on it, and instead of executing one idea well, I think we had probably five ideas in the song, and it just confused people. They weren't sure what they were hearing."

It is frustrating to hear, but it really is who they are, and I don't think they can change it. If it was for Eno, they probalby would have reworked MOS over and over and over.

I think they have more successes with reworking then not. Streets probably being the most obvious choice, where a song like SUC or ABOY are on the other spectrum.

And there's speculation now with their soon to be new album that they're reworking songs again. Only basing this on the fact that both band and manager have stated album(s) are done and wanting to get the music released.....and not to hear from Edge that they're not sure what direction.

I think it's positive that we've gotten reports from Willie that the band are or are supposed to be recording while in South America....so maybe they really are trying to get something concrete for after the tour.

Maybe we'll get some interviews when U2 hits the states again.

Vertigo is a catchy number, thanks largely to the riff and the 'Hello hello/ I'm in a place called vertigo' hook. But without the ipod commercial I don't think it would have done much in America. I think some people thought Vertigo was the new "theme song" for the ipod and bought the song on that basis.

I'm can't really think of another song featured in the ipod ads that had as enthusiastic as a response. So I'd say the song's success is attributable to both the band and the song itself, imo. It certainly wasn't just played in commercials at the time.

Maybe some people okay, but I didn't even know it was used for an ipod ad until after I owned the album and knew the song well. (I'm in America, and wasn't a big U2 fan before HTDAAB) The song did its job with zero help from ipod for some people for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom