To all singers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
Some members on this forum that are singers have write that when they have sang some U2 songs, their voice has been worn out just after because of that the songs are hard to sing. So my question is, wich U2 song are hardest to sing?

Peterrrrr said:
Some members on this forum that are singers have write that when they have sang some U2 songs, their voice has been worn out just after because of that the songs are hard to sing. So my question is, wich U2 song are hardest to sing?

I have a hard time singing the songs that falls out of the lower end of my range ... but then again, I'm a girl. :wink:

Pride is very hard, obviously Lemon if you don't have control of your falsetto

the high parts in Bad

Your right Fast Cars is hard and it's not even that high in range I guess this one is about nailing breath control

Crumbs is also a bit rough

Mofo said:
Your right Fast Cars is hard and it's not even that high in range I guess this one is about nailing breath control

Exactly. There's a lot of change in vocal style throughout the song. It starts as a half-rap, then goes to a croon.

Peterrrrr said:

Somebody to Love.

Peterrrrr said:

October

it depends on your vocal style... for me (And yes i am a guy) because i have an alto voice i find lemon sits at the top of my range beautifully... but i also can stretch down to something lower like 'numb'

the hardest one is probably pride because it switches between my two ranges

Fast cars, i have no probs with falsetto's or high notes in songs but quick and fast pace songs are a bitch

As a girl, I had to change All I Want Is You's into a higher key, and Bad was fine except that I had to work harder for the high notes. I think I was more exhausted by the emotions than anything else, it took a lot to get to the place where I could give it justice.

Pride, no question. Bad isn't all that tough to me because even when you've got the "wiiiiiiide awake"s, they're over with before you've thought about it too much.

The killer part of Pride is that " oh oh oh oh" bit....ow.

T

4th Of July and Bass Trap must be killers - not even Bono can sing them!

The final few "wide awake"s in Bad are the toughest for me. On a good day, I can hit them only about 50% of the time. As others have said, Pride can be tough, too, mainly because of the abrupt change from low to high. For some reason, with my voice, I have awesome high days and awesome low range days, but on the days that I'm hitting both, neither is as stellar.

I have a few vocal exercises that I do, but I'm looking for some new ones. Any suggestions? My current ones are silly but fairly effective----scales with "Many many mumbling mice are making merry music in the moonlight, mighty nice" and "mee-hey-mah-hah-mo-hoh-moo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo." :lol:

Axver said:
4th Of July and Bass Trap must be killers - not even Bono can sing them!

:lmao:

mmmmm.....Bass Trap.......:drool:

Last edited:
Re: Re: To all singers

xaviMF22 said:

A friend and I took this one on recently. It's a little trippy, but we liked it. :) He did the piano part on guitar & threw on some effects. My microphone had a lot of hiss, so we put some echo on the vocals, which added a cool sound. Check it out:

http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=BDE205DE594CD4B7

Im not a 'singer', but I can hold a note...I found that Mysterious Ways is extremely difficult to sing, at least when I went karaoke-ing a few weeks back. You have to sing it strong enough that the verses can be heard, but then you get to the chorus and the strength+falsetto were hard to control. Kinda embarassing :shifty: I don't know how Bono gets it done.

Re: Re: Re: To all singers

Utoo said:

A friend and I took this one on recently. It's a little trippy, but we liked it. :) He did the piano part on guitar & threw on some effects. My microphone had a lot of hiss, so we put some echo on the vocals, which added a cool sound. Check it out:

I like it :up: .

I like the effects you used:up:

Mofo said:

the high parts in Bad

Now I am not a signer, but I sing along to ANY song that I know, regardless of how much people hate it. :wink: (My mates caught me singing along to Boston the other day). Bad is a song I love to death but it really annoys me that I can't sing the high parts in Bad. I just can't control my voice, especially when I'm trying to sing the 'I'm wide awake' part. My voice either breaks, or I just can't do it.

I also get the same problem with the 'I'm a maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan' part in Kite.

If I had two wishes, one would be for eternal wishes. The other would to have the voice to sing U2 songs perfectly.

good thread :up:

Although I mostly just do it in the privacy of my home these days :), I have had a little vocal training, sung in choruses, impressed pals at karaoke ;), etc... My voice is basically contralto, can get a bit into mezzo-soprano range, and I find that Bono often sings in a higher key (on record at least) than me! :lol:

My falsetto is just about as shot as Bono's so anything that has that, forget about it. Being able to sing Lemon is just a distant dream now...

I can do the real shouty parts on tunes like Bad and Pride, but I do have problems on the whoo-hoo's like on Bad and and wahoo-oo-oo-oo's on In A Little While. Otherwise, I can sing the rest of both songs quite well.

While the ranges are OK, for some reason I just can't do songs like Beautiful Day, With or Without You and Mysterious Ways well. Can't quite put my finger on why that is, but they are just not suited for my voice. I think my mouth just can't move itself around the melody. And Stay's just all wrong for me, just can't find a key that fits both me and the song.

A lot of U2 songs are like that for me, they're really hard for me to do (more in terms of getting my voice around the song than being able to hit notes), it's like only Bono can really do them justice. The more recent stuff is easier for me than stuff from JT, AB, etc.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: To all singers

Utoo said:

:rockon:

I haven't found one that I've had trouble with yet, although it took me a little while to work out the kinks on Bad, Pride, and RHMT.

And I pride myself in doing The Fly absolutley perfectly. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom