Tired of people complaining about HTDAAB's lyrics...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murray

Acrobat
Okay, the title of this thread says it all. People have been complaining about these lyrics since the day it leaked (november 17 i believe). And now, I will try to settle things, one and for all. With Vertigo, people have been saying things like "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah" is the worst lyric I have ever heard. What do you want him to put in there? Recite poetry? It is just a little rocking out/jamming at the end! Plus, it isn't the first time that a singer has sang words that don't neccesarily mean anything. Hey Jude's na na na na finale? Need I say more? Then there's the "just gimme what I want and no one gets hurt." A perfectly fine cliche, that says what Bono is trying to say. It is hard to write up a phrase that means the same thing as that. Once again, what do you want him to say instead of that? "Just hand me the things I need, and then I will not attempt to harm you?" I mean, come on! My argument is pretty much the same for the other songs, too. It bugs me when people say "What kind of lyrics are "sugar c'mon?" and what kind of lyrics are "doo doo doo?" He is not using them to state his opinion on politics, ro to rhyme with other words, they are just showing his emotions!

Now, what I think is wrong with HTDAAB, is not the lyrics. It isn't the production either. I think that the songs aren't related enough. It reminds me of a mixtape of all the styles of music that U2 can do. It doesn't redifine them. It is still an extremely good U2 album, because all the styles of music that U2 can do are great, but "A Man And A Woman" and "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" just can't be on the same disk for me.

Well, there is my rant. Say what you will, I stick to it.
:)

Last edited:
Yeah, I would agree with half of that. My problem with HTDAAB is that it lacks a certian atmosphere.

For example, when I listen to JT, I get shivers and sort of float from the start to finish.

As for lyrics, I hate to say it but they really do bother me on this album. U2 lyrics used to be wonderful and still are but I just get the feeling that these were sort of made up of secound hand catch phrases that did not fit in to other songs.

Now thats not true from all the songs on the album but I think it could be an explanation. And we now u2 has not lost the lyrical touch. Fast Cars :drool:

The thing with the Yeah Yeah line is that it is totally cheesy and cliche and not needed for the ending. Millions of bands and musicians have used the word 'yeah' several times in their songs. George Michael, for instance, comes to mind. It is equivalent to Metallica's James Hetfield going kill kill kill kill at the very end of their last album St. Anger. I'm sorry to say that both these examples sound like the singer is having a mid-life crisis. Now, the boom-chas on the other hand were original and funny. I don't know any other song in the history of music that has the word boom-cha in it. Original is the key word I'm stressing here, which U2 were to the tee upto 1997.

I always hear people complaining about the lyrics in Miracle Drug, especially "Freedom has a scent....etc".

Of course they're not expected to know the story behind it right away, but it still angers me. :mad:

I don't have a problem with the lyrics.
I think the running order could have been a bit better, perhaps even song selection(eg Fast Cars all over the world, not just UK and Japan).

Lots of lines have people complaining
yeah yeah yeah yeah
Freedom has a scent.....
there is no failuire here sweetheart just when you quit.....
cool down mama.....

U2 have done worse - WOAH WOOOAHHH
My mammi

Miami/Some days are better than others. Bono's low point IMO.

"don't ..." at nauseum in Numb
"it's the blind leading the blond, it's the stuff of country songs"
all the smart ass "coke is a mystery" etc first verse of Playboy mansion
...and the biggest megalomaniac and pretentious line in whole of U2's catalogue "looking for a sound that's gonna drown out the world"
"it's allright it's allright it's allright hey baby hey baby hey baby"
Miami!!! My mammy!
Boom cha! Boom cha! BOOM CHA!

murray, you are soooooooooooooooo right! the lyrics of how to dismantle an atomic bomb are the best bono (and edge) has ever written...................i can't really concentrate on the yeah yeah yeahs with all the meaning that's in vertigo for example, some maybe didn't catch too much of the songs and care about the yeah yeah yeahs or the do do dos, we must go inside the songs, into the soul of them, i don't give a fuck for the yeah yeah yeahs!

I never could understand WHY people complain...

I mean, you think the lyrics are not good? Ok, that's yout opinion, it can be shared or not.

Simply, if is there someone who doesn't like U2's lyrics, he/she should find another band to listen to...

I don't think fans are obliged to listen and love ALL U2 songs...

BUT STOP COMPLAINING!

It drives me mad!
people complain for all sorta thing: prices, weather, jobs...
I think that's enough, don't you?

Zootlesque said:
The thing with the Yeah Yeah line is that it is totally cheesy and cliche and not needed for the ending. Millions of bands and musicians have used the word 'yeah' several times in their songs. George Michael, for instance, comes to mind. It is equivalent to Metallica's James Hetfield going kill kill kill kill at the very end of their last album St. Anger. I'm sorry to say that both these examples sound like the singer is having a mid-life crisis. Now, the boom-chas on the other hand were original and funny. I don't know any other song in the history of music that has the word boom-cha in it. Original is the key word I'm stressing here, which U2 were to the tee upto 1997.

I'm sorry, but is this not the rock and roll genre we are involved in here? I LOVE rock and roll and some times YEAH says more than100 words, original or not. Yeah is a rock word and U2 use it better than anyone else.
Dont be so serious all the time. Just jump up and down, dance and shout YEAH! It feels good!!:dance:

U2girl said:
Miami/Some days are better than others. Bono's low point IMO.

"don't ..." at nauseum in Numb
"it's the blind leading the blond, it's the stuff of country songs"
all the smart ass "coke is a mystery" etc first verse of Playboy mansion
...and the biggest megalomaniac and pretentious line in whole of U2's catalogue "looking for a sound that's gonna drown out the world"
"it's allright it's allright it's allright hey baby hey baby hey baby"
Miami!!! My mammy!
Boom cha! Boom cha! BOOM CHA!

And by the way, I love all of those fantastic, mother suckin' rock 'n' roll lines...(well maybe not Miami!!)

lady luck said:
I never could understand WHY people complain...

I mean, you think the lyrics are not good? Ok, that's yout opinion, it can be shared or not.

Simply, if is there someone who doesn't like U2's lyrics, he/she should find another band to listen to...

I don't think fans are obliged to listen and love ALL U2 songs...

BUT STOP COMPLAINING!

It drives me mad!
people complain for all sorta thing: prices, weather, jobs...
I think that's enough, don't you?

As far as I can tell 90% of this forum is complaining. Someone says they like something and another person tells them its trash.

The next ten percent is when someone says they like something and just everyone agrees.

The lyrics are simple and boring compared to Pop, Achtung, Zooropa, Joshua Tree, everything he did before. If complaining drives you mad, then it's your problem, not mine!

Norse said:

As far as I can tell 90% of this forum is complaining. Someone says they like something and another person tells them its trash.

The next ten percent is when someone says they like something and just everyone agrees.

:lmao: That should be our forum motto. :lol:

Hibbyface said:

I'm sorry, but is this not the rock and roll genre we are involved in here? I LOVE rock and roll and some times YEAH says more than100 words, original or not. Yeah is a rock word and U2 use it better than anyone else.
Dont be so serious all the time. Just jump up and down, dance and shout YEAH! It feels good!!:dance:

If I'm being too serious, why would I love Discotheque to death??? Is that a serious rock composition? I do not hate Vertigo. I would just like it much more without a.) the unnecessary spanish words. b.) the yeah yeahs and c.) the 'gimme what I want' line. And God people, this is a forum! You people can't handle complaining but can handle heavy praise?

Zootlesque said:

If I'm being too serious, why would I love Discotheque to death??? Is that a serious rock composition? I do not hate Vertigo. I would just like it much more without a.) the unnecessary spanish words. b.) the yeah yeahs and c.) the 'gimme what I want' line. And God people, this is a forum! You people can't handle complaining but can handle heavy praise?

Your preference of Vertigo over Discotheque purely for the reasons you've stated suggests to me that you are ever soooo slightly 90's biased.

shaun vox said:
so what do you think of this " HELLO HELLO im at a place called vertigo hahahahah WTF!!!!!!

What do you think of this "in this dry and waterless place"? Blech! :barf: Yet this is from my favorite U2 album.

Every album is full of both utter crap and outstanding gems. Lines like "a heart that aches is a heart that beats" (slight paraphrase) are outstanding.

I find nothing horrid on this album at all - but the usual haters (hi Shaun :wave: ) naturally do.

Zootlesque said:

no post

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:

All faiths, opinions and complaints are welcome here!!

Spanish people dont find spanish words unnecessary...and I think its FUN just for the sake of being fun...so are the boomchas.
Vertigo is such a joy. There is so much going on at so many levels, so I have to strongly state my opinion here. I love it, I disagree with you..is that ok?
xxxx:wink:

Hibbyface said:

is that ok?
xxxx:wink:

That's perfectly ok. :up: It's just funny that if someone even dares to point out a few flaws in the new album, they're jumped on by passionately defensive posts saying 'stop complaining like it's the weather' or 'if you don't like the album, go listen to some other band' and so on. WTF? Is it wrong to objectively look at an album for plus and minus points? Overall, I like this album by the way... just in case you're confusing me for a 'hater'.

The lyrics to Discotheque always shake the foundations of my faith and touches my soul everytime I hear them.

"I can't get it, I can't, it's not enough
Boom cha, boom cha
Discotheque
Boom cha, boom cha"

If Bono were to continue writing stuff like that, I'm sure there would be less complaining. The "yeah yeah" part at the end of Vertigo comes close though to the majesty of Discotheque...
Discothque"

"All is quiet on New Years Day
a world in white is underway,
I want to be with you, be with you,
night and day.
But nothing changes on New Years Day"

WOW.....what amazing...those lyrics THEY KILL THE BOMBS LYRICS!!! :huh:
NYD is one of my favorite u2 songs ever.

Back
Top Bottom