Time to vote! Should Mercy be on the next album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should Mercy be included on the next album?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 191 65.2%
  • No, never!

Votes: 29 9.9%
  • No but maybe as a Bonus track!

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • No but maybe as a B-side!

Votes: 46 15.7%

• Total voters
I disagree with Lance when he says he thinks Mercy contains Bono's most poetic lyrics since Zooropa. I think 'Please' was VERY poetic...'so love is hard and love is tough/but love is not what you're thinking of'...'so love is big, bigger than us/but love is not what you're thinking of'...'so you never knew/what was on the ground/till they made you crawl/so you never knew/that the heaven you keep/you stole'. SATS too...'Intransigence is all around/military still in town/armour plated suits and ties/daddy just won't say goodbye/god is good but while he listen/I'm nearly great but something's missing/I left it in the duty free/it never really belonged to me'...and the end of Stuck...'and if the night runs over/and if the day won't last/and if your way should falter/along this stoney path/it's just a moment/this time will pass'.

namkcuR said:
I disagree with Lance when he says he thinks Mercy contains Bono's most poetic lyrics since Zooropa. I think 'Please' was VERY poetic...'so love is hard and love is tough/but love is not what you're thinking of'...'so love is big, bigger than us/but love is not what you're thinking of'...'so you never knew/what was on the ground/till they made you crawl/so you never knew/that the heaven you keep/you stole'. SATS too...'Intransigence is all around/military still in town/armour plated suits and ties/daddy just won't say goodbye/god is good but while he listen/I'm nearly great but something's missing/I left it in the duty free/it never really belonged to me'...and the end of Stuck...'and if the night runs over/and if the day won't last/and if your way should falter/along this stoney path/it's just a moment/this time will pass'.

:up:

Oh, namkcuR, I trust you received that file ok...

Well, members of interference have spoken and if it is up to them, MERCY will indeed be on the next album! Its an incredible song, definitely in U2's top 20 of all time!

yes indeedy it should be!
is there a single big ol' thread where people have previously and concurrently given their opinions about it?

cheers!

ShellBeThere said:
yes indeedy it should be!
is there a single big ol' thread where people have previously and concurrently given their opinions about it?

cheers!

There have been many great threads dedicated to discussing the extraordinary beauty of Mercy. Use your search powers.

I really love the song, but I'm also gonna say no...because I want U2 to take a totally new musical direction with the next album.

If Mercy would make the next album, that would mean the album would sound too much like ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

BANZAI said:
If Mercy would make the next album, that would mean the album would sound too much like ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

Hmm...that's a good point that I don't think many people have brought up. :hmm:

"Mercy" is one of my favorite songs, hands down...but I can't say that I think it should go on the next album, because I have no idea what sort of sound the next album is gonna be like. "Mercy" might not necessarily fit in very well. :shrug:

gareth brown said:
still listen to this, smile and think that it's probably the best thing they've written in around 12-13 years! :D was listening to it yesterday and the way the bass goes with the opening distorted guitar loop is absolutely fantastic! keep hearing things in a different way each time i listen to it.

should end side one of the next record. :up:

Why oh WHY do people love this song as if it is the best thing in the world??? This song SUCKS yes i said it it sucks! Its too long its too dull, there is no part that moves me whatsoever. Ive gave it a chance and tried to like it by listening to it about 10 times but i give up. I cant get this song and i cant get why people are so in love wit it. I bit if it was released on HTDAAB you'de all be saying its crap! and the best song in 13 years???? are you insaane? the only song that mercy is better then is grace! Otherwise even the weakest songs of the last 12-13 years is still 1000 times better then mercy! Urgh

dabiggestu2fan said:

Why oh WHY do people love this song as if it is the best thing in the world??? This song SUCKS yes i said it it sucks! Its too long its too dull, there is no part that moves me whatsoever. Ive gave it a chance and tried to like it by listening to it about 10 times but i give up. I cant get this song and i cant get why people are so in love wit it. I bit if it was released on HTDAAB you'de all be saying its crap! and the best song in 13 years???? are you insaane? the only song that mercy is better then is grace! Otherwise even the weakest songs of the last 12-13 years is still 1000 times better then mercy! Urgh

All I can say is you're entitled to your opinion just like we're entitled to ours. :wink:

Let's face it. Mercy has an almost mythical quality to it now -- many U2 fans don't even know it, but only know OF it. Remember in the old days, when you'd have to bootleg certain material in order to hear it? It wasn't in the mainstream, you had to truly be in the know to get it at all? I think Mercy should be like that -- one of the worst-kept secrets in the U2 pantheon.

The results of this poll disgust me.
Mercy isn't a bad song, but to take the last-minute throwaway form a so-so album full of good songs, and tack it on to a new release....puh---lease. :|

Putting Mercy on the actual album is like school in summertime

b side would be fine i guess

haha, 66.7% of the vote so far for 'YES' isn't bad!

giant lemons, give me your address and i'll email it to you.

Back
Top Bottom