Time to be controversial - City of Blinding Lights is CR@P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This song is not crap. On the other hand, the line "Oh you look so beautiful tonight" and the way the song collapses soon after that line is crap. But anyway, I love the line 'ready to leave the ground'... you can almost feel yourself taking off with the song into the stratosphere.

I saw this song performed live at the Brooklyn show. It WILL become a crowd favorite.

Hearing this song, with lower Manhattan and the Brooklyn & Manhattan Bridges lit up--it's my favorite song on the album, if only for sentimental reasons.

doctorwho said:
Did I mention this song is my favorite off the album? I love it! :yes: The staccato is brilliant! My favorite line, though, is the very ending which is "lessons just not for the ones who kneel...luckily". Great stuff! :drool:

BostonAnne informed me that the lyric is actually "blessings" not "lessons".

Either works, but I always hear "lessons". And I think "lessons", instead of "blessings", makes that a more powerful lyric. :yes: But knowing Bono, it probably is "blessings" and I'm just hearing wrong.

I think City of Blinding Lights is FAR from being crap. :shrug: For me, it's one of the best songs on the album. If not THE best. The mixing sounds fine to me. It probably could have been better, but it doesn't utterly mar the song, as some people here claim. So I find it somewhat confusing to see people ranking it equal amongst songs like Peace on Earth and Wild Honey. Oh well, to use that horribly cliched phrase, everyone is entitled to his opinion.

I think it will be a great live song. I really, really like it. The production lets it down severely, but that's a problem across the whole album. I love to just follow Edge's part through the whole song, have everything else going on around that.

At first I didn't think much of this song... I let my first impression count too much, and considered it to be largely that dreaded phrase: U2-by-numbers. I found it a little more hollow than many of the other songs (Sometimes... being the main one, for personal reasons).

After several listens, I realised, again, that appearances can be deceptive - listening to the lyrics, I feel I was too hasty in judging. COBL has definitely grown on me, and I now appreciate it much more.

mysticchild said:
I have to say that it is one of the best songs on the album and I have a feeling it might be the opener to the concert. then I love LAPOE.

I really like Love and Peace - I have done since I heard it first.. it struck me, initially, as being different - I really enjoy the music and the sentiment the lyrics express.

Last edited:
typhoon said:

... and Bono does the "hoo hoo" thing twice, as God intended.

Bono can do the "hoo hoo" thing as many times as he likes, as far as I'm concerned!
;)
Sorry - just thought I'd lower the tone there for a second. I will now banish myself to PLEBA for half an hour.

shaun vox said:
COBL is beyond crap its super crap!!!!!!!!!!!!

i cant believe people actually like this crap!
What does that contribute to the discussion?
Somewhere a bridge is missing its troll!

;)

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:

What does that contribute to the discussion?
Somewhere a bridge is missing its troll!

;)

At least he doesn't beat around the bush! Says it how it is!
Shitty song, Shitty mix and shitty chorus!

rjhbonovox said:

"How it is"? How it is in your perception - not everyone else's. Okay, so hurrah for him, for speaking his mind.

This thread was,at one point, heading in a sensible direction... by that, I don't mean people agreeing with me - it's just that I remember a time when we gave good reasons for what we believe, rather than just trying to be as annoying as possible. :yawn:

Oh, incicdentally... out of all the adjectives in the English language, it's a shame tyou had to use the same one three times, in the same post. ;)

I'll get off my soapbox now!

Back to COBL... not the greatest song on the album, but as I sauid, IN MY OPINION, it's a good song - I feel the energy in the music, and the contradictions in the lyrics make perfect sense to me.

All down to individual taste - as bloody always. Damn being rational!

Last edited:
Numb1075 said:
COBL is a wonderful song -WONDERFUL. But to put it in the same stratosphere as Streets or Bad is a lie.:wink:

I think it's downfall is the production, Edge seems muted as does Larry. Adam can be heard loud and clear though.

So it's not the fans who particularly like Adam, who are complaining about the song then? ;)

One of the writers at another U2 site referred to this song as the "big f-you to Henry Rollins, from Adam and Larry", on account of Rollins saying what a terrible rhythm section U2 have.

It's my fave off the new album.

I like this song a lot more than "Bad."

*mad dashes for the nearest exit*

rjhbonovox said:

OK, I won't beat around the bush either. You are a shitty poster with shitty taste and shitty opinions.

I have to go all the way back to Heartland to find a song that is COBL's equal. It pisses all over most of Zooropa, Pop, and ATYCLB, that's for sure. Though most of HTDAAB does.

Have you heard Keane's cover of With Or Without You? I have. It's really great. No, wait - it's awsome. It so much better than the original. It's has more emotions, the music fits better and overall is a better song!
Who's with me? If not, convince me I'm wrong. But with real "evidences", and well-thought reasons. :eyebrow: :|

^
Haha really, Bono's voice is far more powerful than Chaplin's, the song imo lacks without tge legendary bassline intro and Edge playing those notes that so soothing like a mna playing a violin with a golden bow, and of course that riff is one the most beautiful things to come out of a guitar, musically Keanes cover is lacking aswell as every cover of the song has for me be it the guitar playing is not up to scratch or the singing or Larry's drumbeat which also quite something else, plus Keane's version won't be remembered I need all of the qualities listed above when that song is played p.s. I like Keane so I've refrained from bashing them

ZeroDude said:
^
Haha really, Bono's voice is far more powerful than Chaplin's, the song imo lacks without the legendary bassline intro and Edge playing those notes that so soothing like a mna playing a violin with a golden bow, and of course that riff is one the most beautiful things to come out of a guitar, musically Keanes cover is lacking aswell as every cover of the song has for me be it the guitar playing is not up to scratch or the singing or Larry's drumbeat which also quite something else, plus Keane's version won't be remembered I need all of the qualities listed above when that song is played p.s. I like Keane so I've refrained from bashing them

Hm.. I can't say I'm satisfied with your comments. All you said is based on your personal opinion and taste. You don'n like Keane's cover, cause your so sentimental, you like the 80's U2 and the music they were producing in the JT era, so of course you're not satisfied with the new version which is by far better. And that bassline with the guitar riff really ruined the song cause it took away it's simple beautiness...

:wink:

^
Well opinions are all that are needed to counter your opinion, the guitar riff is the beauty, the atmosphere in the U2 version is amazing, Keane turn it into a little ditty although ableit it is a great little ditty:wink:

Just getting back on topic for a second, Mr Clayton is the best thing about this song. I do really want to like it, I can hear the classic U2 in it, but it just is not right.

I know the live version is going to be awesome, I've already heard it live, and it sounded like magic, but this album version could of been just as good. It pisses me off because it isn't.

Something isn't right with the intro, actually something isn't right with the opening lyric. I don't buy into it. In fact I dislike it so much that it makes it hard to recover the rest of the song.

The reason it's compared to Streets is because of the 1 minute 30 intro but really for me that's where the similarlites end.

The build up of the streets intro is far better. Mainly because it builds up from a slow to quick tempo at a much more gradual pace whereas with this it seems to get louder and faster far too quickly and it seems to go on forever before we get the opening lyric whereas Streets despite being longer works a lot better.

I'm probably not portraying what I find wrong with the song too well, but I'm trying.

As for the Keane cover of WOWY I cant say I've heard it but I find it hard to believe that it would be better than the U2 original. I don't even rank that as high as lot of people I know, I mean I wouldn't say it's in my top 20 (definitely not in my top 10 anyway) but it sounds perfect, and if someone has delivered a better vocal than bono has on that track I'd be very surprised. I'll try and find it tho.

Last edited:
Axver said:

OK, I won't beat around the bush either. You are a shitty poster with shitty taste and shitty opinions.

I have to go all the way back to Heartland to find a song that is COBL's equal. It pisses all over most of Zooropa, Pop, and ATYCLB, that's for sure. Though most of HTDAAB does.

Woah woah woah!!! As much as I like COBL to an extent (esp. for the music & the build-up), don't even say things like that. Achtung, Zooropa and Pop are the holy trinity that should be worshipped. ATYCLB on the other hand is mediocre. :wink:

-Macphisto-UK said:
Just getting back on topic for a second, Mr Clayton is the best thing about this song. I do really want to like it, I can hear the classic U2 in it, but it just is not right.

(cut)

As for the Keane cover of WOWY I cant say I've heard it but I find it hard to believe that it would be better than the U2 original. I don't even rank that as high as lot of people I know, I mean I wouldn't say it's in my top 20 (definitely not in my top 10 anyway) but it sounds perfect, and if someone has delivered a better vocal than bono has on that track I'd be very surprised. I'll try and find it tho.

I agree with your thoughts about COBL. I feel exactly the same.
As for Keane, don't worry. I was being sarcastic, and ZeroDude and I were having a little joke. :wink:
Of course no Keane can surpass WOWY, or Bono's vocals, or Edges riff, or Adams bassline, or Larry's drums. :drool:

Axver said:

Axver, that sounds almost as an idiot posting, doesn't it? :eyebrow:

NHF:wink:

Axver said:

Ok I was over the top with my post cos the song is not that bad but me being over the top the other way counter balances the fact that your statement is way over the top the other way. If you think that COBL pisses all over Pop, Zooropa & ATYCLB then your appreciation of a classic song is a long way off where mine is. If COBL is better than Gone, Discotheque, Mofo, Daddy's Going To Pay For Your Crashed Car, Last Night On Earth, Staring At The Sun, Kite, Numb, Walk On, Beautiful Day, When I look At The world, Miami, In A Little While...........and on and on.....well if its better than all of them songs then I am not listening to the same song as you are. There is so many OVER THE TOP statements about this song I find it hard to believe that the people making these statements actually believe what they are writing. The starting line of the song makes me cringe for one thing "The more you see the less you know" or something like that, its nearly exactly what he sings in LNOE, but even this isn't as bad as the awful line "oh you look so beautiful tonight" ......"in the city of blinding lights" dah dah dah........Its such verrrrrrrrrrry simple lyrics and there not very good either. So to call it the best thing they have done in the past 16 years is WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY OTT, nearly as much OTT as my shitty this shitty that post!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

Ok I was over the top with my post cos the song is not that bad but me being over the top the other way counter balances the fact that your statement is way over the top the other way. If you think that COBL pisses all over Pop, Zooropa & ATYCLB then your appreciation of a classic song is a long way off where mine is. If COBL is better than Gone, Discotheque, Mofo, Daddy's Going To Pay For Your Crashed Car, Last Night On Earth, Staring At The Sun, Kite, Numb, Walk On, Beautiful Day, When I look At The world, Miami, In A Little While...........and on and on.....well if its better than all of them songs then I am not listening to the same song as you are. There is so many OVER THE TOP statements about this song I find it hard to believe that the people making these statements actually believe what they are writing. The starting line of the song makes me cringe for one thing "The more you see the less you know" or something like that, its nearly exactly what he sings in LNOE, but even this isn't as bad as the awful line "oh you look so beautiful tonight" ......"in the city of blinding lights" dah dah dah........Its such verrrrrrrrrrry simple lyrics and there not very good either. So to call it the best thing they have done in the past 16 years is WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY OTT, nearly as much OTT as my shitty this shitty that post!:wink:

Yes. City rips off Last Night and Yahweh rips off Do You Feel Loved. In other words, Bono likes his work on Pop but is just being hypocritical by saying "oh..it was unfinished, we didn't intend it that way" and all that crap. What he really meant was " please start buying out albums again, we'll make them sound more radio friendly for you!"

rjhbonovox said:

How about I justify my COBL statement then? Firstly, my U2 top nine. These aren't my favourites (11 O'clock Tick Tock is #1 there), but what I think is best:

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. Bad
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. One Tree Hill
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. Heartland
7. New Year's Day
8. Acrobat
9. Gone

So as you can see, going by my rankings, you definitely do have to go back to Heartland to find a song on that level (I could probably do a bit of swapping with 4-7, but 1-3 are fixed and 8-9 would only rotate amongst themselves). Now yes, I did exaggerate a bit when I said it pisses all over 'most' of the albums I named, but it definitely pisses all over SOME. Some tracks can definitely hold their own against COBL (One, Zooropa, Stay, Love Is Blindness, Last Night On Earth, Wake Up Dead Man, Walk On, Kite), but it makes others just look plain poor. Songs like EBTTRT, Daddy's Gonna Pay, Elevation, Discotheque, WGRYWH, Mofo, Do You Feel Loved, and the majority of the nineties albums and ATYCLB are, to me, leagues below COBL.

To me, COBL is a mix of some of the best elements of U2. It's both anthemic like Pride and epic like Streets. Some of the lyrics are great and some are not, but since when was that a problem? "In the naaaaaaaame of looooove", "I want to run, I want to hide", "with or without you, I can't live with or without you", "one love, one life", and so on - U2 classics often have lyrics that aren't that great when taken out of context. But the lyrics of COBL fit perfectly with the images and landscapes that it conjures into my mind. I can see the crowd at a concert jumping up and down in perfect unison as the whole place washes red and the organ of Streets blasts out - suddenly, nothing could be more appropriate than "oh you look so beautiful tonight/in this city of blinding lights".

I hope that makes things a little more clear.

(Plus COBL has that wonderful UF album feel. UF ... :drool: :drool: :drool:)

unnamed_streets said:

Woah woah woah!!! As much as I like COBL to an extent (esp. for the music & the build-up), don't even say things like that. Achtung, Zooropa and Pop are the holy trinity that should be worshipped. ATYCLB on the other hand is mediocre. :wink:

Oh joy, another nineties fan who will slander U2 all day if they repeated the eighties but would do anything for Pop Part II ... talk about hypocrisy.

Obsessive nineties fans irk me sometimes. Mainly because I think that era is over-rated, but eh, I guess I'm just a grouchy eighties fan who was born a little too late. At least 1987 was the year of the Joshua Tree ...

Axver said:

Oh joy, another nineties fan who will slander U2 all day if they repeated the eighties but would do anything for Pop Part II ... talk about hypocrisy.

Obsessive nineties fans irk me sometimes. Mainly because I think that era is over-rated, but eh, I guess I'm just a grouchy eighties fan who was born a little too late. At least 1987 was the year of the Joshua Tree ...

No, I'm not being hypocritical at all. I've never said that U2 followed a certain style in the 80s and another one in the 90s. They kept changing their style with every album while still making great music, a feat very few bands can boast of. Boy is different from October which is different from War..... and so on all the way up to Pop. Yes! Achtung is different from Zooropa which is different from Pop. ATYCLB on the other hand is not different from HTDAAB. That's what's disappointing. Don't tell me that Edge's guitar work on HTDAAB doesn't remind you of songs off JT!!! The innovation, experimentation and unpredictability seems to have been abandoned so that they can create hits, win grammies and become the biggest band in the world. Hey, who knows, this might just be a phase and they may wisen up with the next album.

Back
Top Bottom