Time to be controversial - City of Blinding Lights is CR@P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mikal said:
i've really focused on Edge's guitar part, and i must say, during the chorus is one of the coolest guitar riffs ever.

Agree. The guitar is awsome, the vocals are awsome, but that doesn't make a SONG awsome.

I love COBL...... and i agree with those who say it is one of the best U2 songs ever

the keyboards are terrific, so is the slide guitar, the chorus is simple yet infectious, Bono sounds great during 'tiiiime...', the last verse is beautifully written.......

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

Agree. The guitar is awsome, the vocals are awsome, but that doesn't make a SONG awsome.

oh. oops. i forgot to mention that the rest of music is great too.

mikal said:
i've really focused on Edge's guitar part, and i must say, during the chorus is one of the coolest guitar riffs ever.

Exactly.

shaun vox said:
COBL is beyond crap its super crap!!!!!!!!!!!!

i cant believe people actually like this crap!

I can't believe the zookeeper gave you a keyboard again.

It's a really over rated song by many people around here.....
It has one of the weakest start and the production is really bad. It sounds a lot better live cause this terrible-very-weak keyboard intro is replaced by guitar...... but it has nothing to do with Streets or Pride!!!!! One can like it or love it if he wants, but please stop comparing this song with Streets!!!!!

Anyway..... that's my opinion.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

Looking back, I now feel completely embarassed that I once thought you were a complete idiot.

Beautifully thought out....brilliantly executed.
Respect...:rockon: :rockon:

roy said:

Looking back, I now feel completely embarassed that I once thought you were a complete idiot.

Thanks! :wink:
I guess the truth comes out sooner or later!

In the top 3 of this album for me, after Sometimes and Original. Tied with One step closer.

roy said:

wait... are you making fun of me?! :ohmy:
hope not... (mods!?)

:wink:

I really love it, truth be told. My favourite on the album.

But what's your argument against it?

Mine?
Hm... maybe production the most. And I don't think that intro has done what it should. The chorus is really great, great melody and guitar riff, i love the 'time' part but overall, the song isn't somthing special for me. Of course, we're talking 'bout U2. If some other band made this song, it would be much much better. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here.
I just feel that U2 lost the ability of making truly great songs at the moment, songs like WOWY, All I want Is you, WTSHNN (i.e. Miracle Drug or OOTS should be one of them but, IMO, they build up too quickly so it looses all the magic for me...) . Hope it will be better in the future. And I hope I don't get another "you're an idiot" replys... :|

Last edited:
TheFlyOnTheWall said:
Mine?
Hm... maybe production the most. And I don't think that intro has done what it should. The chorus is really great, great melody and guitar riff, i love the 'time' part but overall, the song isn't somthing special for me. Of course, we're talking 'bout U2. If some other band made this song, it would be much much better. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here.
I just feel that U2 lost the ability of making truly great songs at the moment, songs like WOWY, All I want Is you, WTSHNN (i.e. Miracle Drug or OOTS should be one of them but, IMO, they build up too quickly so it looses all the magic for me...) . Hope it will be better in the future. And I hope I don't get another "you're an idiot" replys... :|

You're an idiot. :wink:

Nah, I can actually see how some people can complain about the lackluster production. However, bad production or not, it's still my favorite on the record, and it's going to be a monster live.:drool:

FullonEdge2 said:
Why is City of Blinding Lights crap?

or crap!!!!!!!!!

One of the best songs on the album

I think the main problem I have with it is that the first time I heard it was at TOTP when they played it live. I have no doubt that the live version will be pretty spectacular. As soon as I heard me and everyone around me knew it had a certain special something, I couldn't get oh you look so beautiful tonight out my head, it rang for days.

When they first played it live it sounded like Streets, I can understand the comparisons to the live versions but the album version just as far too much stuff going on. In bono's own words too much of a good thing is a bad thing and that's whats happened here. Strip the song down to it's elements and you have a beautiful song. It WILL KILL LIVE.

City ,when played live, will kick you straight in the arse,send you to the moon,the sun and the stars and then again pull you down with that amazing slide guitar.
you can crap on it now,but soon you will see Mr.Numbology was right.

:|

Back
Top Bottom