Thread of the compromised: All I want now is a few good singles and good sales...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

voxson

The Fly
I used to expect a great album. For some reason, not necessarily because of the latest reviews, I have now compromised with the fact that this album will not be great (as in the masterpiece sense). Now, all I want from it is that at least the best tracks (and probably singles) of it will be of good quality and that sales will be good (yeah I care about that, too and not only about the music).

UnforgettableLemon said:
Yeah, I suggest not thinking about it at all until we've actually heard the album... for several months...

Don't knock it till you try it :rolleyes:

Actually, on second thought, I think we should give up on U2 and petition Scott Stapp to drop his ego and reunite with Creed- the best band EVER. :wink:

voxson said:
I used to expect a great album. For some reason, not necessarily because of the latest reviews, I have now compromised with the fact that this album will not be great (as in the masterpiece sense). Now, all I want from it is that at least the best tracks (and probably singles) of it will be of good quality and that sales will be good (yeah I care about that, too and not only about the music).

Have you heard it? Why are people judging something they haven't heard? :huh:

Re: Re: Thread of the compromised: All I want now is a few good singles and good sales...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Have you heard it? Why are people judging something they haven't heard? :huh:

One word. Phaser.

i entertain fleeting notions that it might just be truly great masterpiece of an album, but i generally expect it to just be good. We will see.

i dont see why people care if it sells well or not. i just want good songs, and lyrics. i'll know after i hear the whole album or not whether or not this is the case.

I don't understand myself why people are being so negative about an album that hasn't even come out yet...come on people lighten up think positively.
I for one think that this album will be great!..and i will love it ,has i have loved every U2 album..I'm excited and Nov 23rd cant come fast enough for me.

Thats my humble opinon..

:dance:

htdaab will not be as good as AB!
banos voice for one is fucking great on ab!
edge is fucking great on ab.
ab has ONE and the fly has a guitar solo that is not 10 sec long.

u2 are in their 40's and there is no way in hell they can make music as good ase they use to!

take vertigo for exp. the fly kicks its arsss all over the place and the video is way way better than vertigo!

im just looking for the tour so i can see them play songs that are great like sbs ,bullet the blue sky, streets,the fly,one, and fucking mofo.....
fuck vertigo!!!!!!!!!!!!

shaun vox said:

u2 are in their 40's and there is no way in hell they can make music as good ase they use to!

take vertigo for exp. the fly kicks its arsss all over the place and the video is way way better than vertigo!

im just looking for the tour so i can see them play songs that are great like sbs ,bullet the blue sky, streets,the fly,one, and fucking mofo.....
fuck vertigo!!!!!!!!!!!!

um thats
"BONO"

Man, one person views that they don't like the record and bam, suddenly it's gonna be the worst record ever. There are people that are gonna hate this record, just the same with every other record they ever recorded. Some will view it as good others a masterpiece but to some it'll be a regurgitated piece of crap! We're all different and shouldn't expect everyone to like it.

I'm stayin' off the band wagon of sayin' this new record will be a masterpiece. You'll be disappointed with it with those kinda expectations. I've kept mine pretty low, I was stung with ATYCLB and I ain't gonna walk that path again. I'm going in with average expectations with the hope of being surprised.

Zoomerang96 said:
i dont see why people care if it sells well or not. i just want good songs, and lyrics. i'll know after i hear the whole album or not whether or not this is the case.

Once upon a time, there was an album called Zooropa. It was a great album with even greater songs. But it didn't sell good. So, today it is known as one of the weaker U2 albums. There you go...

voxson said:

What's a masterpiece?

JT? That's one of my least favorite U2 albums. Don't get me wrong - JT is tops in '87 and one of the best albums of the 80's. But for U2, I felt it was the closest they ever came to the dreaded "selling out". Why? Because the album is full of very accessible songs: tunes that are instantly liked and lyrics that everyone can readily agree with. To me, it was the album fans expected U2 to make and they did. I was annoyed with the simplified lyrics on some tracks (see "With or Without You") which made some of Bono's earlier writing sound far more inspirational. Furthermore, I feel it contains U2's worst song ever - "Trip Through Your Wires". Combine this with Edge's overuse of the echo effect and Bono's grandiose operatic style singing and suddenly the notion of this being a "masterpiece" is questionable.

AB? That's a better choice, but again, disasters like "Ultraviolet", where 50% of the words in the song (if not more) are "baby" and the guitar work sounds like a knock-off of "Until the End of the World", and "Who's Gonna Ride...", which starts with a horrid God-awful screeching noise and has some of Bono's worst analogies ever, make this a questionable choice as well. It also has what I feel is U2's second worst song ever - "Trying to Throw Your Arms...".

ATYCLB? It won 7 Grammies and sold 12 million copies during an era where illegal downloads were rampant. Clearly this must be a "classic". And yet... Most fans feel this is "U2-lite". Despite some innovative songs, like "Stuck in a Moment...", some fans just don't like that sound of the album (or even that song). "Beautiful Day" was a return to old U2 - where's the innovation? Some hated Bono's lyrics, even to songs they liked ("Elevation").

My point is that for every album you consider a "classic" or "masterpiece" other fans can tear it down.

So don't listen to what others say - listen with your own ears, mind, heart and soul. If YOU like the album, that's what matters.

Those reviews on u2tour were amongst the worst reviews I've ever had the displeasure of reading (even when they were positive). They were so bad that if the authors hadn't provided proof that they were really at the event to hear the album, I would've thought the reviews were fraudulent. The reviews fail to give specifics, either positive or negative. And one reviewer, who gave the album a mere 3/10, should not quit his day job - he is arguably the single worst music reviewer I've seen.

Again, don't be discouraged. Don't have expectations. It just is. If the music reaches out to you and touches your soul, then that's all that matters. If you find you just enjoy the sounds, then that's all that matters. Who says the album has to be a masterpiece? And if this album proves it's not to your liking, so be it. Just because you're a U2 fan, it doesn't mean you have to love everything they do.

shaun vox said:

As Bono's pointed out on a number of occasssions, artists who continue to try to evolve, who aren't in it for the quick buck, quick screw, and hotel goodies, always get better with age. Sure, most rock bands fade with age, but that's because most rock bands are in it just for the adrenaline. Their instruments are extensions of their hormone surges; the hormones ebb with age, and so does the music (see The Rolling Stones). U2 has never been a typical rock band, and I think there's a chance that this will be their best album ever (or close to it) precisely because they're in their 40's.

shaun vox said:

fuck vertigo!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like my IQ dropped after reading that.

Re: Re: Re: Thread of the compromised: All I want now is a few good singles and good sales...

VertiGone said:

One word. Phaser.

Phaser seems to be real full of himself...but it is his opinion.

U2 has never put out a bad album. No other band can consistantly put 5 or 6 songs on every album that are damn good,

I am confident this one will be no different

Here is the way I look at it, going on what I have heard.

Vertigo is a great rock song: 8.5/10

Original Of The Species sounds like a potential classic in a "Sweetest Thing" style from the Ipod clip and the interview snippet.

The beach clips of Miracle Drug and Love And Peace sound fantastic.

The beach clip and 15 sec. Ipod clip of All Because Of You points to a great, catchy rocker.

One Step Closer, and SYCMIOYO have both been routinely praised in the reviews so far as great songs...so for me, pretty much there is 7 great songs already on the album, not to mention City Of Blinding Lights which is getting huge praise on this forum and elsewhere ( i haven't heard it though)..

So, if there is about 8 great tunes, I can live with a couple of lesser songs..after all Achtung Baby is a classic, yet there are a couple of songs not up to the standards of the best of the album, yet they are still solid tunes.

Who is to say HTDAAB's "lesser songs" aren't still good songs (ie 8/10 sort of range?)

I say this will definitely be a masterpiece...just you wait!:)

i can't wait until we have this darn album because all of the speculation and conversation of:
Will it be the best ever?
why aren't they reinventing themselves?
How is Bono's voice holding up?
How is Larry's tendinitus?

can all be put to rest !!
:mad:

Damn you Calendar Gods for making 11/23 so darn far away !:madspit:

Where will you be when the album comes out? And when it does come out the anxiety will start all over...with the tour.

Back
Top Bottom