Thoughts on the group's future.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the "U2 will be around forever!" and "they're not even halfway through their career!" crowd, let's be honest. Do we really want to see Bono singing Vertigo when he's 75? Dancing with a 20 year old girl during WOWY when he's 80?

What's that I hear? A resounding "no!"? Thought so.

Axver said:
Do we really want to see Bono singing Vertigo when he's 75?

Heck yes. That sounds hilarious, so I'm game.

Dancing with a 20 year old girl during WOWY when he's 80?

OK, that's where I draw the line. Bono ain't Bill Cosby. I don't want him writing about kneeling pudding pops whilst in prison because he got a little too greedy with a girl on stage.

LemonMelon said:
Heck yes. That sounds hilarious, so I'm game.

I think it would be hilarious in the sense of "it's horrible but I can't turn away". I don't really plan on paying $10,000 to see it, though. :wink:

Axver said:

I think it would be hilarious in the sense of "it's horrible but I can't turn away". I don't really plan on paying $10,000 to see it, though. :wink:

Oh, nosebleed tickets will be worth more than that by then. :wink:

Axver said:

:lol: The "grandpa U2" bootlegs.

Axver said:
Do we really want to see Bono singing Vertigo when he's 75? Dancing with a 20 year old girl during WOWY when he's 80?

I'm getting the image of grandpa Simpson-like Bono now...dancing with a young girl
"Ouch! My back!"

singing Vertigo
"You give me something I can feel..."
*woops, my teeth fell out*

Axver said:
For the "U2 will be around forever!" and "they're not even halfway through their career!" crowd, let's be honest. Do we really want to see Bono singing Vertigo when he's 75? Dancing with a 20 year old girl during WOWY when he's 80?

During Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, he'll be wheeled around in a wheelchair. Just to add the interpretive side of things.

Peterrrrr said:

Give me one reason why we should be worried about Bono's voice.

Age ?

Even with the improvement on Bomb and the last tour. Look at how he sounded in the 80's and Zoo TV, and onwards. I hesitate to think the state of his vocal chords when they're 60, and beyond.

lol, wow, that took awhile now didn't it! BUT...that is ridiculous! ok, he was young enough back then to abuse his vocal chords, starting after zooTV, he got older and the abuse continued, and we all saw the result...nowadays, he is taking much better care of his voice, and when we "look at how he sounded in the 80's and Zoo TV," we can clearly see how in more than one area, his voice is better nowadays! I'm not saying it is or it isn't, but the fact is, he is doing things now that he has never/rarely done before, and things that he couldn't possibly do back then...so no, I would not call age a reason to be worried...now, to say you're worried about age at this point because you're thinking about how he will sound at 60..well, that is a foolish way of looking at things...You can say that about anyone, "Imagine how _____ will sound when they're 60!" even though they are only 20...yes that is an extreme case, but it applies to any age...

ok that took all the energy I had left out of me, I'm going to sleep.............................................hmm, U2 could be working on the new album right this instant? or maybe it's just edge? :hmm: no more studio for 2007 right?

Last edited:
U2girl said:

I'm getting the image of grandpa Simpson-like Bono now...dancing with a young girl
"Ouch! My back!"

singing Vertigo
"You give me something I can feel..."
*woops, my teeth fell out*

:lmao:

I can imagine his speeches will turn into Grandpa Simpson's factually confused rambles. "I'd just like to tell you all about Africa. Back in 1956, Thomas Jefferson declared 'ich bin ein Algerian', and I said, I better defeat the Fuhrer by saving the starvin' children, so I went and-" :yawn: *sleep* "zzzzzzz" *Edge smacks him* "HUH WHA WHERE AM I DON'T TAKE MY TEETH!"

U2 and the Stones are completely different. The Rolling Stones stopped having hits 25 years ago. They are 65 year old men still singing about having sex with young girls. They are all burnt out from years of drug use, especially Keith. I'm not denying they still put on a good live show, but that's largely due to the army of backing musicians they have, and Mick's still ever-youthful stage presence.

U2 are all still in seemingly good health, no drug problems to speak of. U2 are still relevant in the minds of the general public. They may have to work to keep there, but they CAN keep themselves on top. Their next album will most likely have a few hit singles. And if they keep their integrity intact, then there's no reason why they can't keep going for as long as they wish.

I think the next tour will be a big tour, maybe with more stadiums shows to decrease the overall amount of shows they play. After that, they might start downsizing. 2009 tour is gonna kick ass though, bet your ass!

Are we running out of topics to discuss? Of course we are closer to the end than the start but I am sure that they still have lots left to give. It is a matter of when they don't want to tour any more but in all honesty I think it is going to be a while before they total stop producing new albums. This is what they do and what they love.

youtwohearts said:
Are we running out of topics to discuss? Of course we are closer to the end than the start but I am sure that they still have lots left to give. It is a matter of when they don't want to tour any more but in all honesty I think it is going to be a while before they total stop producing new albums. This is what they do and what they love.

I don't know...I can't imagine them not touring, I think it's too much a part of them as a band. Shorter/less spectacular tours, maybe. But quit live alltogether? I think U2 is dead the day they do that.

U2girl said:

Age ?

Even with the improvement on Bomb and the last tour. Look at how he sounded in the 80's and Zoo TV, and onwards. I hesitate to think the state of his vocal chords when they're 60, and beyond.

I can tell you that age wasnt the thing that changed his voice over the years. Alot of Straining, screaming, smoking, drinkin and singing while the voice was hurt.

Sure the voice changes by age, but it dosnt mean that is going to be worse.
Here are some singers that proofs it:

David Coverdale(Whitesnake)
Bobby Kimball(Toto)
Tony Bennett(and he is over 80)
Bruce Springsteen

Look at my quote below:
Peterrrrr said:

His voice now is amazing. I hasnt been so near the 80's like it is now, it is stronger now then on ZooTV. Bono has done things from 2004 til now that he hasnt done on the 90 and also some thing in the 80s.

If we talkink hitting high notes, holding notes for long time, singing techniques... Well then Bono's Vertigo and 2007 vocals is the best ever. And also on the new performence of Desire he sings the line "let you go" stronger then on the studio version on that song from 88.

Here are some proofs

- Bono did hit the HIGH C in "Wide Awake on Bad" several times on Vertigo tour. Also he sang the "Wide Awake" without probelms three times in the song a couple of times on Vertigo tour.

- He also hit the HIGH C in "Don't you look back" on WGRYWH, something he never has done before, not even on ZooTV.

- He have never hold high notes for so long like he did on Vertigo tour("Touch" in BD 5 sec, "Sing" in SYCMIOYO 8 sec, "L'amoure" in Miss Sarajevo in 11 sec) and also" Wave" in WOS 10 seconds.

- He now holds the chours in Pride, something he never even did on JT/LT tour.

- One of his highest falsettos ever was done 2006-11-18 on Vertigo when he sang a snippet of Ac/Dc's highway to hell. It was an E5. And on MW he sang the word "Child" with the ZooTV falsetto sound. Togheter with WITS Bono showed that his falsetto is back.

- He realy showed power when he sang the duet with Alicia Keys on the Oprah winfield show when he sang "Keep my AAAAAAAAAAAARMS down below". Now imagine him use that force in ISHFWILF.

- Miss Sarajevo was amazing

- Bono's voice on the pirate song "A dying sailor to his shipmates" is incredible, it realy makes you think of the song "Wild Irish Rose" he did back in 89. He realy has a very deep sound in his voice on that song.

- Another Opera moment was in the end of SYCMIOYO from 2006-12-04 - Japanl

Peterrrrr said:
I can tell you that age wasnt the thing that changed his voice over the years. Alot of Straining, screaming, smoking, drinkin and singing while the voice was hurt.

I can agree with you on this. I wonder how he originally strained it? Because when I watch ZooTV I hear Bono with the golden voice of the mid-80s to early 90s. And even on Passengers, the few times he sings, he sounds great. Did something happen in 1996 during the Pop sessions? It seems like something did, because that's the point at which I hear a transition from the full-range (not just high, but low too), and the Pop/All That You Can't Leave Behind era (the high was weaker, the low was more spoken than sung). He may be on his way to returning to a full-range like earlier in his career, but the tonal quality of his voice--the richness of it--is different. I sincerely hope the Union Chapel performance is as truly amazing as I'm reading on here. If there was a website that was streaming it, I would listen.

the tourist said:

I can agree with you on this. I wonder how he originally strained it? Because when I watch ZooTV I hear Bono with the golden voice of the mid-80s to early 90s. And even on Passengers, the few times he sings, he sounds great. Did something happen in 1996 during the Pop sessions? It seems like something did, because that's the point at which I hear a transition from the full-range (not just high, but low too), and the Pop/All That You Can't Leave Behind era (the high was weaker, the low was more spoken than sung). He may be on his way to returning to a full-range like earlier in his career, but the tonal quality of his voice--the richness of it--is different. I sincerely hope the Union Chapel performance is as truly amazing as I'm reading on here. If there was a website that was streaming it, I would listen.

If you listen to the live performences in 1995 he still had a very powerful voice but it was a bit shaky. In 96 he sang Tomorrow(from October album) and it was powerful but you still heard that something was going on with his voice.
The same with the Zooropa 93 tour, he sounded different compare to ZooTV 92.
Much weaker.

But I think one of his weakest moments
is his duet with Michael H from Inxs "Slide Away", his voice is very weak on that song(but
its still sound good because it sounds very emotional)

The last two albums were among their best. Bono's voice is stronger than its been since War. The guitar work on the last two albums has remained fresh and interesting. They continue to think young and stay in touch with the underground, dance music, trance, etc. They're tours continue to be the best gig in the world.

I'm so looking forward to the future.

Peterrrrr said:

If you listen to the live performences in 1995 he still had a very powerful voice but it was a bit shaky. In 96 he sang Tomorrow(from October album) and it was powerful but you still heard that something was going on with his voice.
The same with the Zooropa 93 tour, he sounded different compare to ZooTV 92.
Much weaker.

I guess that all makes sense. I think I read in the U2 by U2 book that Bono started smoking cigarettes regularly during the ZooTV era. So it would make sense that it would be a decline which took many years. I think I read somewhere else that he quit them thought.

Bono used to like what it was doing for his voice. And for awhile, maybe it was good, but after a few years it began to take it's toll. Now we know that smoking isn't the only reason he had vocal trouble, but it sure didn't help.

Smoking definitely is bad for your singing voice, and in general. I have been in a band since 2001. I also started smoking around then. We recorded some demos back then. I am the guitarist and only sang one song, but compare my vocals back then to more recent recordings, and you hear a big difference. Not to mention, I feel the difference. Singing live used to be much easier than it is now. People, DON'T SMOKE!! My new years resolution is going to be to quit. My fiance is quitting to, so hopefully she can help me.

The_acrobat said:
Singing live used to be much easier than it is now.

I think that's a really good point whch relates to Bono, I think throughout the eighties and early nineties he found the actual act of singing much easier, much less challenging that it would be from around 96/97. Of course he still had to use a degree of physical exertion when going for the big notes, but during Popmart and Elevation he seems to struggle when attempting the kind of notes his younger self would have just tossed aside, no problem, the kind of notes which had never caused him any difficultes in the past.

When you're attempting songs as vocally demanding as some of U2's songs, especially the eighties tunes, it can't be much fun when the actual act of singing is a task in its own right.

the tourist said:

He may be on his way to returning to a full-range like earlier in his career, but the tonal quality of his voice--the richness of it--is different. I sincerely hope the Union Chapel performance is as truly amazing as I'm reading on here. If there was a website that was streaming it, I would listen.

youtube? or no?

the Union Chapel performances of Stay, Wave of Sorrow, Desire, and Angel of Harlem were absolutely incredible vocal performances...you seriously NEED to listen to those if you're interested in Bono's current voice...he is as clear as ever, and sings certain parts of those songs better or as good as he did in the JT/lovetown era....and if you were a part of the Union Chapel thread a little while back, you already know about the debate on whether the Stay performance is better than ZooTV performances of that song...

and this is acoustic...the next album/tour = :drool: :drool: :drool:

Axver said:
Dancing with a 20 year old girl during WOWY when he's 80?

How about a 75 year old Bono singing If You Wear That Velvet Dress? How's that for creepy? :wink:

Joey788 said:
How about a 75 year old Bono singing If You Wear That Velvet Dress? How's that for creepy? :wink:

Big deal, 81 year-old Chuck Berry is still out there singing about "Sweet Little Sixteen"...

... OK, that is kinda creepy

Joey788 said:

That is not even worth thinking about.

Though I suppose we needn't worry about it. The accelerated rate at which Adam seems to be aging means he'll probably be about 100 in a decade's time and the band will be over.

DevilsShoes said:
When you're attempting songs as vocally demanding as some of U2's songs, especially the eighties tunes, it can't be much fun when the actual act of singing is a task in its own right.

I'm really hoping the ease of these notes come back--he was definitely up to the task for what I saw/heard from the Union Chapel show. But will it last through long, gruelling recording sessions? I definitely hope so. Although I wouldn't mind the next tour being infused with some Pop songs. I miss the live version of Last Night On Earth and I'd love to see a full band version of Wake Up Dead Man.

Back
Top Bottom