Thoughts On Atomic Bomb - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2005, 04:01 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan
All Because of You-
Good: the solo, the "I'm alive" bit is the best part of the whole album
That's true. I think from Bono's "Heeeyaaaah" parts, through Edge's part, into the scream and "I'm alive" onwards is the best part of the album by far. By a mile. It's the only part that gives me a jump really. It's a shame the first two minutes are one of the extreme low points. I hear this last part of All Because of You, I hear Native Son, I hear Xanax & Wine and I think "Good lord, they rock".... I think that's the '4 guys in a room' sound that I want to hear. Not 4 guys in a room.... next door to a room that is filled by 20 producers and $15million worth of sonic equipment... 4 guys knocking out some blistering rock.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:16 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

That's true. I think from Bono's "Heeeyaaaah" parts, through Edge's part, into the scream and "I'm alive" onwards is the best part of the album by far. By a mile. It's the only part that gives me a jump really.
Probably my favorite rock moment by any artist since Nirvana's heyday over 10 yrs ago.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:18 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan
I am a 90's nut, no more than I am an 80's nut.

Anyhow, I don't get into the whole "decade fan" debate.
I think it's silly and often an easy defense to a legitimate criticism that a person takes offense to.

I think a lot of us like the whole catalog to a certain extent, some songs more than others, some albums more than others.
Well... I'm not saying I'm a 90s nut as in I don't care for the 80s! I love a lot of their material from the 80s! I mean... JT, War, UF, Boy.. c'mon! But the truth is I really got into them only in 1992 and grew up with Achtung, Zooropa and Pop. The songs, the images, the attitude... if I HAD to choose, the 90s win hands down!
Old 08-18-2005, 08:19 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

That's true. I think from Bono's "Heeeyaaaah" parts, through Edge's part, into the scream and "I'm alive" onwards is the best part of the album by far. By a mile. It's the only part that gives me a jump really. It's a shame the first two minutes are one of the extreme low points. I hear this last part of All Because of You, I hear Native Son, I hear Xanax & Wine and I think "Good lord, they rock".... I think that's the '4 guys in a room' sound that I want to hear. Not 4 guys in a room.... next door to a room that is filled by 20 producers and $15million worth of sonic equipment... 4 guys knocking out some blistering rock.

I love that part in ABOY. Probably my fav moment in the album too... apart from the Edge solo in Miracle Drug and the verse guitar of Crumbs!
Old 08-18-2005, 08:38 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

I love that part in ABOY. Probably my fav moment in the album too... apart from the Edge solo in Miracle Drug and the verse guitar of Crumbs!
My favorite moments on the record:

Towards the end of the second verse of Vertigo, around 'swinging to the music', Edge starts playing a repetition of notes that sound very UF-era-like, and I love it.

Edge's solo/singing in Miracle Drug.

The intro to LAPOE, Edge's solo in LAPOE. Hell, the entirety of LAPOE.

COBL - 'time won't leave me as I am/but time won't take the boy out of this man'

AMAAW - midway through the song, there is a moment when Edge sings 'oh - oh oh oh oh' soaring behind Bono's vocal. Also, shortly after this, there are few lines of lyrics that are sung in a falsetto and are double-layered. Either Bono has to vocals on top of each other or he and Edge are singing at the same time. Either way, I love it.

Crumbs - the outro.

One Step Closer - whenever, after Bono sings 'to knowing', Edge sings a falstto-ish 'know-ow'. Beautiful.

Yahweh - I think the song is bland but at the end when Edge starts singing 'oh - oh oh - oh oh - oh oh - oh oh', that IS a really good moment.

Fast Cars - the 'don't you worry 'bout your mind' verse. The alternating singing between Bono and Edge is
Old 08-18-2005, 10:06 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

Towards the end of the second verse of Vertigo, around 'swinging to the music', Edge starts playing a repetition of notes that sound very UF-era-like, and I love it.
Keeping positive along those lines:

Vertigo-right after "checkmated, hours of fun etc. ", that Edge riff is pretty killer, probably my second favorite part of the whole album. That is my idea of great "vintage" Edge. Also, the chorus guitar on COBL would fall into that category. The "time won't leave me as I am" bit is cool too. The Sometimes bit right before the big note "I'm sick of it all", I think that was really well done.

I also really love the acoustic/electric riff mix on Crumbs verses, that sounds outstanding. Love and Peace or Else towards the end (solo, if you want), Edge has that almost Rattle and Hum moment, damn cool. I really like the Edge bit "beneath the noise" of Miracle Drug, I wish that lasted one more verse.
Edge during the "everywhere you go" part of OOTS is cool too.
There is a moment on A Man and a Woman I really like, can't pinpoint it off the top of my head. Yahweh "sun comes up on the ocean" best part of that song by far.

And yeah, I agree with namckur about the Fast Cars "bridge" or whatever you want to call it, I just think it's done better on Xanax. Bono really belts out the last "MIND!!!!" Edge shines on that whole fucking song. The riff is quirky but me likes.

Edge has his great moments, he always does.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:03 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Thoughts On Atomic Bomb

Quote:
I have this idea for what it could have been, and I think it would have worked very well. Since the record, including its title, is very much about the death of Bono's father and how Bono has dealt/is dealing with it, I was thinking that the cover art could just be Bono standing in front of a mirror on a black background, but the reflection in the mirror, instead of being Bono, would be Bob Hewson - to go along with the lyric, 'it's you when I look in the mirror'. Perhaps in the bottom corner of the front cover, there could be a small dedication: "For Bob Hewson". Just an idea.
I liked my own idea so much that I decided to try to put something together in Photoshop to show you all what I'm thinking:

Thoughts?
Old 08-19-2005, 12:04 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:43 PM
Interesting idea but it seems too personal and a little too obvious, I doubt they'd ever do something like that.

I don't quarrel with their artwork much, I think Anton Corbijn is a bad ass.

Overall I like the red and black scheme quite a bit, maybe a singular image of some kind would have been interesting, other than a band photo, I mean.

I like the picture of them in the desert quite a bit.

http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/view.../alb019-32.jpg
Old 08-19-2005, 01:26 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:43 PM
I like the general character of the 8mm footage screen grabs they put in the album booklet. Maybe one of those would have worked better on the front.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:57 AM   #25
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:43 PM
ive heard xanax and wine but not fast cars...
Old 08-19-2005, 11:30 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:43 AM
Quote:

My favorite moments on the record:

Edge's solo/singing in Miracle Drug.

The intro to LAPOE, Edge's solo in LAPOE. Hell, the entirety of LAPOE.

COBL - 'time won't leave me as I am/but time won't take the boy out of this man'

AMAAW - midway through the song, there is a moment when Edge sings 'oh - oh oh oh oh' soaring behind Bono's vocal. Also, shortly after this, there are few lines of lyrics that are sung in a falsetto and are double-layered. Either Bono has to vocals on top of each other or he and Edge are singing at the same time. Either way, I love it.

Crumbs - the outro.

One Step Closer - whenever, after Bono sings 'to knowing', Edge sings a falstto-ish 'know-ow'. Beautiful.

Yahweh - I think the song is bland but at the end when Edge starts singing 'oh - oh oh - oh oh - oh oh - oh oh', that IS a really good moment.

Fast Cars - the 'don't you worry 'bout your mind' verse. The alternating singing between Bono and Edge is
according to the booklet its adam doing backing vocals on one step closer
Old 08-19-2005, 12:33 PM   #27
roy
Refugee

Local Time: 12:43 AM
Re: Re: Thoughts On Atomic Bomb

Quote:

I liked my own idea so much that I decided to try to put something together in Photoshop to show you all what I'm thinking:

Thoughts?
Oh dear, how subtle....lol
Old 08-19-2005, 01:27 PM   #28
Refugee

Local Time: 01:43 AM
Bono's pose is comedy..
Old 08-19-2005, 01:52 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Nice attempt there namkcuR.. but as someone said, it would probably have to be more subtle than that! And Bono's pose sucks. Many of his poses these days seem to look dumb.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:54 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Nice attempt there namkcuR.. but as someone said, it would probably have to be more subtle than that! And Bono's pose sucks. Many of his poses these days seem to look dumb.
There are no bloody pics of the man in his current state with his back to the camera. That is the only one I could find