Those Dandy ol' Lost 'October' Lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
I've been wondering ever since the briefcase was recovered, will Bono do nething to the lyrics and possibly use/rework them for a 2006/07 album. What do you all think will b done about the lyrics?

Ha!

I doubt he'll be in the same 'frame of mind' as he was back in 1981...U2 appear to have cast off that entire album where live performances and actual chit-chat about it are concerned...doubt Bono would want to dig up all the old lyrics...!

I dunno what he'll do with the original lyrics. Don't quite see an actual album resulting from them (although that would be interesting), but I do hope the band does something with those lyrics-perhaps put them in some book or something, 'cause I am curious to see what the original lyrics were going to be.

Angela

I think that they should remaster October and make it a double album, one with album and one with original lyrics, and should be sold in doubl cd-box set, and NOT LIKE THE BEST OF which was sold in thousand different ways

From what you can see of the stolen lyrics, they are, in one form or another, already in October. Bono seemed to have most of the lyrics (or gist of them) in his head anyway and they came out in October. I found this quote from Trouser Press, July 1, 1983:

The group came over to tour, and fulfilled expectations with a dynamic stage show. Unfortunately, the climax of the trip occurred in Portland, Oregon, when two women walked into U2's dressing room and walked out with Hewson's briefcase, containing his notes for the following album.

"I'd like to meet them," he says wistfully of his robbers-"those big blue eyes." He pauses. "It's the $300 I want back! Keep the lyrics!"

Hewson may joke about it now, but at the time, the loss of his lyrics was no laughing matter. In between extensive tours of the US and UK - U2 played over 200 shows in 1981 - the band had booked studio time to record its second album. In the past, the group-credited compositions evolved out of sound check jams, with lyrics often improvised onstage. Now Hewson was forced to push his creativity to the limit.

Last edited:
That is just too strange, to read an interview where he is called "Hewson" instead of Bono. :no:

Didn't the guy who had the lyrics say that he tried submitting them in poetry contests, etc. and couldn't make any money on them so he decided to give them back?

It made a 'Top Ten local news stories' list in the Tacoma newspaper. Imagine, moldering in that attic all those years... I'd love to see the lyrics for comparison purposes, but I doubt we ever will.

najeena said:
It made a 'Top Ten local news stories' list in the Tacoma newspaper. Imagine, moldering in that attic all those years... I'd love to see the lyrics for comparison purposes, but I doubt we ever will.

If you look through the u2log.com archive, you'll find photos of them. You can clearly read Bono's handwritten lyrics corresponding to several October songs. It's pretty cool actually.

Back
Top Bottom