This would be a better best of 90-00!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POP-ROMANCER

War Child
I almost never listen to the best of 90-00. Why? Because I don't like some songs on the album and I think some songs don't deserve to be on the album like hands that built america and the first time. Also, the songs AFTER '00 had better not be on the album: beautiful day and stuck. It's other material and it's other than the typical u2 from the '90s. They just don't fit between songs like numb, discotheque etc. Electrical storm (2002) also don't have to be on the album, let's move that song to the b-sides stuff. One of the best songs, and the song that's typical '90 u2 is NOT on the album: the fly. I don't understand why. I really don't like the album, so here's my tracklist. This should u2 have done:

In chronological (?) order:

01. The fly
02. Mysterious ways
03. One
04. Even better than the real thing
05. Who's gonna ride your wild horses
06. Stay
07. Numb
08. Lemon
09. Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me
10. Discotheque
11. Staring at the sun
12. Last night on earth
13. Please
14. If god will send his angels

Just all the singles from u2.
So, you get a better view from u2 in the '90s. Miss sarajevo is passangers (so maybe to b-sides stuff), and they can save beautiful day, stuck, and electrical storm for best of 00-10.

u2 made a big mistake!

You have a little more room left on the cd so add Until the End of the World (radio hit), Miss Sarajevo, and the remix of Gone for good measure.

bsp77 said:
You have a little more room left on the cd so add Until the End of the World (radio hit), Miss Sarajevo, and the remix of Gone for good measure.

Oh my god, now I made a mistake too. Until the end of the world is a classic live song! They even shot a video (live), so I have to add it of course.

I don't see anything wrong with BEautiful Day and Stuck on the best of... in spite of Elevation and Walk On are not there, they were saved for the next best of, and BD / Stuck were released during 2000, the other 2 singles had worldwide releasements in 2001.

I like the best of 1990-2000 but it could be a better best of. If it is supposed to be an album for people that were looking for U2's most known songs from that era, it should include Lemon and The Fly. Gone and UTEOTW (however, I love those songs on the album...) could be saved for the b-sides with the new mix and the studio version I that few people knows...

It sold only 5M copies, less than pop, so somewhere they made a big mistake. Maybe not enough marketing or something but I think the tracklist is the biggest mistake, very weak.

01. The fly
02. Mysterious ways
03. One
04. Even better than the real thing
05. Who's gonna ride your wild horses
06. Stay
07. Numb
08. Lemon
09. Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me
10. Discotheque
11. Staring at the sun
12. Last night on earth
13. Please
14. If god will send his angels

Ah mais non!

Not good. At all.

I love my 1990-2000 for better tracklisting and better songs.

Even Better Than the Real Thing, One, Until the end of the world, The Fly, Mysterious Ways

Zooropa, Stay (faraway, so close), Some days are better than others, Dirty Day

Gone, Last Night on Earth, Mofo, Staring at the sun, Please, Wake Up Dead Man

Beautiful Day, Walk on, Kite

Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me; hands that built america

it's all about 16 of those 20 songs :wink:

Here's mine. More of a greatest hits than a "Best of" though, if you catch my meaning.

1. Even Better Than the Real Thing
2. Mysterious Ways
3. Stay (Faraway, So Close)
4. Staring at the Sun
5. Last Night on Earth (single version)
6. One
7. The Fly
8. If God Will Send His Angels
9. Lemon
10. Beautiful Day
11. Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
12. Please
13. Discotheque
14. Stuck in a Moment (acoustic version...much better)
15. Numb

POP-ROMANCER said:
It sold only 5M copies, less than pop, so somewhere they made a big mistake. Maybe not enough marketing or something but I think the tracklist is the biggest mistake, very weak.

But they really didn't have the cards to put together a competitive hand on this one. When One, Mysterious Ways, HMKMKMTM & Discotheque are you're popular hits you really are going to have issues.

I mean would've the inclusion of Lemon and/or Until The End Of The World really make a big difference? Or would've resuffling the tracklist around effected anymore sales? IMO these are the things that could've been changed to have more of an effect.

1. Release a stronger companion single... Never in a million years was Electrical Storm popular worldwide to the point that The Sweetest Thing was. In hindisght re-recording UTEOTW would've been there best option - make it as hard rocking as they possibly could, trying to give the impression that BO1990-2000 was more rocky and less "electronica gone wrong" (which was the general impression).

2. Not release a companion DVD with extra tracks - If you are offered between two things, one with just sound, limited tracks and bizzare remixes and another with the real thing, bonus tracks & vision and sound - which one are a majority of the populus going to pick. Correct!

3. Not run down the Pop Era!!! - The Pop-bashing or the anti-Pop innuendo that U2 did during and post-ATYCLB I really think hurt the album. Things such as in the Boston DVD doco where they talk about how poorly recieved Pop was and how it was there Glass Spider, you don't say this stuff to you're Exact Target Market. Every person who bought Boston should've bought Best Of 1990-2000 if marketed correctly. They should've been planting seeds, praising the 90's - that would've been savvy marketing. But they didn't, instead they used the 1990's to validate ATYCLB & Elevation. Which is fine... had they released B01990-2000 in say... 2008. But they released it the next year - thus they shot themselves square in the foot on that one.

Back to the topic at hand... I really don't think shuffling the setlist would've shifted more copies, but maybe pushing it back to 2007/8 would've made Beautiful Day, Elevation & Stuck draw cards.

I made a best of cd about a week ago and likes how it turned out

1// Mofo
2// EBTTRT
3// Lemon (Single Edit)
4// Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
5// Gone
6// Until the End of the World
7// Last Night on Earth (Single)
8// The Fly
9// Discotheque
10// Mysterious Ways
11// Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Temple Bar)
12// Staring at the Sun
13// Miss Sarajevo (Radio Edit)
14// Please
15// One
16// Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
17// If God Will Send His Angels (Single)

do u think it's any good?

I made my 90-00 CD way before the official one was even a thought. Here's my tracklist:

Mysterious Ways
Staring At The Sun
Stay
Even Better Than THe Real Thing
Please (single)
Until The End Of THe World
HMTMKMKM
MOFO
WGRYWH (temple bar)
Lemon (single edit)
Discotheque)
IGWSHA (single)
The Fly
LNOE (single)
One
Miss Sarajevo(a bonus track I guess)

And my B-Sides disc:

Night And Day
Alex Descends Into Hell...
Lady With The Spinning Head (UVI)
Satellite Of Love
Salome
Where Did It All Go Wrong
Lady With The Spinning Head (Ext. dance mix)
Paint It Black
Fortunate Son
Slow Dancing
Slug (i know not a b-side, but the segue from slow dancing to this is really cool...at least i think so)
Your Blue Room
Holy Joe (Garage Mix)
North And South Of The RIver
Pop Muzik (PopMart Mix edit)
Happiness Is A Warm Gun (Gun Mix)
I'm Not Your Baby (from The End Of Violence Sdtk)
Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad

You know, I really think this era ended with the release of the single mix of Sweetest Thing...so really, it's a best of 90-98. I really think that BD and Stuck should've been left off the official release, but they were included for marketing reasons obviously.

Last edited:
These are all better than the one they actually released, but big deal. My balls are "a better best of 90-00" than the one they actually released.

The B-sides disc is more interesting. I don't have any ideas about the order, except that it should begin with "Lady With the Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix)" (screw UV1) and end with "Satellite of Love."

01. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
02. Even Better Than The Real Thing
03. Discotheque (2002 mix)
04. Zooropa (edit)
05. Mysterious Ways
06. Staring At The Sun
07. One
08. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
09. Last Night On Earth (single)
10. The Fly
11. Until The End Of The World
12. Gone
13. Lemon (edit)
14. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?
15. Stay
16. Wake Up Dead Man (without the creepy voices)

b-sides

01. Night And Day
02. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
03. Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad
04. I've Got You Under My Skin
05. Slow Dancing (not Willie Nelson)
06. Your Blue Room
07. Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Mix)
08. Salome
09. Holy Joe (Garage Mix)
10. Where Did It All Go Wrong?
11. I'm Not Your Baby
12. North And South Of The River
13. Stateless
14. Satellite Of Love
15. Can't Help Falling In Love (Triple Peaks)

I never understood the idea of putting on crappy dance mixes on the b-sides disc while leaving off perfectly good original compostions and covers.

I also despise the re-workings of Pop songs. I don't mind the Numb remix, but it is good as a remix, not a substitute.

I use iTunes to listen to music anyway, so I can make my own best of and blissfully ignore the things I don't like.

Might as well toss my hat into the ring. My CD listing was emulated off the original release and then I worked from there.

Elevation
Even Better then the Real Thing
Beautiful Day
One
Stay
Walk On
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Last Night on Earth
Numb
Lemon
Hold Me Thril Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Discotheque
Please [Single Mix]
Acrobat
The First Time

The two choices I'd put up the least resistence for tossing are Last Night on Earth and The First Time. TFT in 90-00 was just aping All I Want Is You, and the harsh buzz of Acrobat closing the collection rather appeals to me and sums up 90s U2 nicely. LNOE is kind of....eh...so maybe The Ground Beneath Her Feet would keep the lonely HMTMKMKM company as a fellow soundtrack peice.

If I had bigger balls I'd put Zooropa and Always Forever Now somewhere in there, probably stick them up in the front of the album too just to piss Corporate America off! :madspit: ...Oh well, I can dream. :wink:

My best of again based on their "best of" and nicking one of the ideas for the original name! U2 EVEN BETTER THAN THE EARLY STUFF 1. even better than the real thing (perfecto edit) 2. elevation (tomb) 3. stuck in a moment that you can’t get out of 4. numb 5. the hands that built america 6. one 7. staring at the sun (single mix) 8. peace on earth 9. so cruel 10. mysterious ways 11. the sweetest thing 12. in a little while 13. miss sarajevo 14. peace on earth 15. electrical storm 16.stay (underdog mix)17. beautiful day (quincey edit)

Maybe the point of the Best of was to get those who dont buy U2 albums but like occasional U2 songs to buy a u2 album. I have freinds who certainly fall into that category.
I would agree that there are some noticeable abscences from the original line up, most noteably Lemon.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:
I made a best of cd about a week ago and likes how it turned out

1// Mofo
2// EBTTRT
3// Lemon (Single Edit)
4// Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
5// Gone
6// Until the End of the World
7// Last Night on Earth (Single)
8// The Fly
9// Discotheque
10// Mysterious Ways
11// Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Temple Bar)
12// Staring at the Sun
13// Miss Sarajevo (Radio Edit)
14// Please
15// One
16// Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
17// If God Will Send His Angels (Single)

do u think it's any good?

That's actually really good mate....questionable track order, but the choice of songs is just about spot on.

Even so, although I can't say I love Numb, I kinda feel it needs to be on the best of because it was a single from Zooropa.

Also, the 90-00 best of should have had a promotional single which was a reworked version of a b-side or rarity, like Sweetest Thing from the 80's best of.

Perhaps: Where did it all Go Wrong? or She's Gonna Blow Your House Down

Too bad they didn't put the B-sides on the second disc like the first Best of.

The thing I'd change on the "A side" disc is put Stateless and Ground beneath her feet (maybe there's hope for those on the third Best of) instead of ATYCLB material that doesn't fit in.

I think the Best of 80-90 is almost as messed up as 90-00, only 14 tracks, 4! from Rattle and Hum, only 1 from Boy, October as a bonus track

No Gloria, Out of Control, or Two Hearts

I hope the Best of 00-10 is better :wink:

While I love 'Electrical Storm', it would have been a better fit on HTDAAB. Seriously, since they re-recorded an old b-side for the first greatest hits (The Sweetest Thing - how dated is the clip now - the Boyzone cameo!!) they should have given 'Lady With A Spinning Head' a run as a single - stupidly happy, poppy and progressive - it is a tragedy it went un-noticed by the greater music buying world.

Would have been an awesome single, and they could've gone gonzo with the video.

1) Discotheque (just cause it has a slow start and gets faster)
2) Until the end of the World
3) One
4) Stay
5) Lemon
6) Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
7) The Fly
8) Gone
9) Acrobat
10) If God Will Send his Angels
11) Mysterious Ways
12) Stuck in a Moment you can't Get out Of
13) Last Night on Earth
14) Hold me, Thrill Me, Kiss me, Kill Me
15) Beautiful Day

And give a song from pop to the americans that they don't like, Mofo for example. :wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:
I think the Best of 80-90 is almost as messed up as 90-00, only 14 tracks, 4! from Rattle and Hum, only 1 from Boy, October as a bonus track

No Gloria, Out of Control, or Two Hearts

I hope the Best of 00-10 is better :wink:
agreed, the selection in 80-90 is worse than that of 90-00

1. She's Gonna Blow Your House Down *single*
2. The Fly
3. Until the End...
4. One
5. Mysterious Ways
6. Even Better Than...
7. Wild Horses
8. Stay
9. Numb