This Night With A Friend, U2, And Feeling The U2 Love All Over Again...ELEVATION!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
I had the rare privilege tonight of having my friend who is living with us from Brazil sit down and watch the Elevation DVD from Boston. He did not know anything about my special band that has been so much a part of my life these last 22 years. My friend is a musician, so he has a deep appreciation for music in general, but he was in no way prepared for what his eyes and heart were to behold tonight.

I watch him sit in amazement, at times his jaw dropping every so slowly as U2 passionately and fluidly played through Elevation to Kite to Bad to Where the Streets Have No Name to With or Without You to Walk On. My friend watched bewildered at the simplicity at which the Edge, Adam, and Larry played, and yet the melodies that lingered out from the speakers enraptured my friend almost to the point of tears. The more I watched him, the prouder I became as my band once again worked their magic over my friend, over me with sight and sounds second to none; with song and lyrics he could not even understand, but felt deep inside of himself, to the point that throughout the concert, he asked me, almost begged me to give him the lyrics, to find him the chords, the melodies, it was as if he was asking me for the very breathe, the very blood that has flowed through my vains these last 22 years.

I shared with him of where I sat at the 6 Elevation shows I was privileged to experience. Almost being able to close my eyes, and relive those moments when the greatest band ever stood right before me and played with all their heart, soul and strength, the very songs that are at the essence of my life, a life that has been filled with the greatest of moments and at times the deepest of heartaches. I guess what I'm simply trying to say is that I fell in love all over again tonight with U2. As I watched the Boston show, something deep inside of the recesses of my heart and minds yearned to be their once again, in their presence, their music pulsing through every fiber of my body, and once again feeling that sense of being so overwhelmingly alive, that the very core of your being comes so alive that you almost lose control of every feelings and emotion in your life, and yet you sense a self expression desiring to match the very chords, beats, lyrics that the Edge, Adam, Larry, and Bono are playing over you that are making you feel so alive.

As the final song played, a big smile lingered over my friends face...the lights, the heart, the music, the emotion, the communal sense between fan and band, had made a profound effect on my friend, and I can honesly say, almost shout without hesitation, myself as well. In the words of Gone..."I'm not coming down, I'm not coming down, I'm not coming down", because U2 played tonight, and we were there, we really were there, and the greatest band ever proved once again why they have my allegiance, why they will forever be the one band that musically and passionately rocks my world. My friend had a hard time putting into words what he was feeling, but his face said it clearly...He was and is in awe. Thank you wherever you are tonight Larry, Adam, Edge, and Bono...because your music has once again touched my life, and the life of my friend.

Chris

Re: This Night With A Friend, U2, And Feeling The U2 Love All Over Again...ELEVATION!!!

spanisheyes said:
I guess what I'm simply trying to say is that I fell in love all over again tonight with U2. As I watched the Boston show, something deep inside of the recesses of my heart and minds yearned to be their once again, in their presence, their music pulsing through every fiber of my body, and once again feeling that sense of being so overwhelmingly alive, that the very core of your being comes so alive that you almost lose control of every feelings and emotion in your life, and yet you sense a self expression desiring to match the very chords, beats, lyrics that the Edge, Adam, Larry, and Bono are playing over you that are making you feel so alive.
Chris

Chris................. O_O I haven't seen it written any more perfect than how you just described it! (i know that was a gramatically BAD sentance lol but-) Yes!! when you very being just comes ALIVE with this Spirit you cannot explain and cannot let go of and you want to literally JUMP UP AND DOWN AND YELL!! Reading your post made me want to do just that! Thinking of the power and ..everything about this band makes my fingers tingle and makes me speechless! OOOOOH to be in their presence again and in the presence of their music with them- to celebrate and sing together..!!!!

my heart is RACING right now. thanks for sharing that!!!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I'm sorry- I just can't resist!!! This is why I love Elevation photos!! It just takes me back there to those arenas of steal that they turn into this temple of love!

Larryexcited.jpg

BeleSing.jpg

anaheim14.jpg

bonoedge%20dance.jpg

BonoVienna_naya.jpg

adam_corneliabrain.jpg

bonocrowd_fla.jpg

I was able to feel the same sense of pride last December when I took my best friend and her new guy friend to an Elevation show.

He had never seen U2 before, and they had just started dating.

During the show, I watched them weep, stand in awe, cheer, hug, kiss... and feel the love.

It was amazing. and even more amazing to see their relationship find a foundation that very night.

Moral of story: they are engaged, with a child on the way, due to marry next month. :heart:

That was beautiful to read Chris. :)

Please, tell your friend I say hello and also that I?m here for him whenever he needs any help concerning U2?s lyrics. I have been working on bringing their songs closer to Portuguese speakers for a few years now. It?s not always an easy task but allworthy. That?s the main reason why I started studying English all those years ago, to understand Bono?s words. But I bet you already know about that, don?t you? ;)

my goodness, bro, you just brought me to tears. and I'm at work! lol. Wow. So powerful and so true. The music is always there, waiting to be discovered by someone new.

sulawesigirl4 said:
The music is always there, waiting to be discovered by someone new.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, and sis, you are so true...I guess sometimes we become so familiar with U2's music, that we forget the power that it possesses, and when you see that power being worked out in someone new, it is pretty amazing to watch.

Chris

You never cease to amaze me with your way with words, Chris.

As someone who doesn't use English as their first language, i can say your post reminded me of the time when i first saw a U2 video. (Streets)
I didn't understand the lyrics (my English was yet to be skilled) and i didn't know what the song was about, but like you said so well, i understood the emotion behind the music - i knew it was a joyous song - and i loved the people dancing on the streets. Even without the lyrics, the music spoke to me.

I love the feeling of introducing someone to U2 and having them love it as much as I do.

My sister came with me to the Elevation concert in Milwaukee ... she was the type of person who knew some of the big hits from JT, but that's about it. When I got the tickets, she asked me to make a cd with some of the songs they would play at the show so she could "study". She was shocked to know Myserious Ways and Sweetest Thing were U2 songs.

She had an awesome time at the show and said it was the best concert she had ever seen. She still isn't a huge fan, but I will catch her stealing a U2 cd from my collection every now and again ... and at least she doesn't get on my case for playing U2 in my car all the time.

Back
Top Bottom