This is the first U2 album since AB...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm completely befuddled by some people's claim that 'One Step Closer' is the weakest song on the album. Perhaps it's too subtle for people's tastes? Too raw? Too Daniel Lanois? Too ambient like The Joshua Tree? Too much like 'The First Time' meets Johnny Cash on a stairway to 'Thirty-Three' by the Smashing Pumkins...sliding down the slopes of beauty itself?

Just don't get it.

I think it's a 4/5 myself or even a 4.5/5. That was a perfect grade.

It really is a great album, but 5's should be reserved for perfection IMO, I dont think they've achieved that since AB and really their most complete album IMO is JT. This album lacks the cohesion I believe an album should have to be considered on that level.

There are no "weak links" as in the normal definition but I think there are a few tracks that just get the ground rule double or the triple instead of the homer.

In actuality, the weakest track is probably Vertigo. It's a great rock/pop song but the emotional center of the song seems to be off a bit. I still think its fantastic but it seems to miss on certain levels. It gets you amped and pumped but it comes off a tad like Elevation Part 2 in its sentiment.

THE BOMB is their most complete album since Achtung Baby (happy 13th birthday!)...its much more better than P(L)OP and ATYCLB together.

Michael Griffiths said:
I'm completely befuddled by some people's claim that 'One Step Closer' is the weakest song on the album. Perhaps it's too subtle for people's tastes? Too raw? Too Daniel Lanois? Too ambient like The Joshua Tree? Too much like 'The First Time' meets Johnny Cash on a stairway to 'Thirty-Three' by the Smashing Pumkins...sliding down the slopes of beauty itself?

Just don't get it.

I share your confusion. I'm at a loss for words to describe just how subtly magnificient it is.

Back
Top Bottom