This forum kind of sucks these days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JOFO said:

ok, the devils advocates say "that's kinda lame; they have so many other (better) songs that they shouldn't be playing vertigo twice.
the trolls say "yeah, u2 sucks; htdaab blows".
the "weasels" (there's gotta be a better name for them) go apeshit, attacking both the trolls and advocates.
the middle roaders say "oh whatever; I can't wait to see them in October!"

then I guess I'm "middle of the road" whatever that means. I don't have a problem criticising U2, but there's a point where I'm just like "I don't like VertigoX2, I stated my point, now I'm going to go eat some Nutella and watch Harry Potter 3 for the 76th time."

no offense, but compared to the others, I think the Devil's Advocate title is a little self-serving (from the original post on the four groups, not this one)

VertigoGal said:

no offense, but compared to the others, I think the Devil's Advocate title is a little self-serving (from the original post on the four groups, not this one)

well, I certainly have contributed my share of less than thought provoking material here....so I'm no saint.:wink:

JOFO said:

I knew someone was going to be "offended" by this post.
look, not everyone here "fits" into these 4 categaories, but I can tell you, being here much longer than you have been, that alot do.

I am not offended nor am I playing in to any of your in my opion meaningless catagories...

I am raising discusion. I never offered my veiw as the definitive voice on it or anything.

Plus the whole "I have been here longer thing" really does not mean much to me. I have seen alot, and I have seen enough I think to make a judgment.

No hard feelings but calm down.

Tarvark said:

I am not offended nor am I playing in to any of your in my opion meaningless catagories...

I am raising discusion. I never offered my veiw as the definitive voice on it or anything.

Plus the whole "I have been here longer thing" really does not mean much to me. I have seen alot, and I have seen enough I think to make a judgment.

No hard feelings but calm down.

I'm calm. :wave:

I just want to point out that those were not my catergories; someone else posted that, then I thought about it, and generally agree with the point trying to be made.

JOFO said:

I'm calm. :wave:

I just want to point out that those were not my catergories; someone else posted that, then I thought about it, and generally agree with the point trying to be made.

Oh wow, I took that the wrong way then. Sorry about that. It is way too hot here today if thats any excuse. Nice to meet you by the way :wave:

I think the forum is great and all, but i may have posted only once or twice in a game forum...i just cant see people sitting at th ecomputer posting song names for however long they do when they couldbe doing something productive with their lives. So hopefully people take up on Chizip's thoughts.

VertigoGal said:

whatever...chizip, you must be the change you wish to see in the world, my friend. I look forward to future posts from you, and expect they will be of only the highest intellectual quality. :wink:

Hahaha, you took the words right out of my mouth.

I think maybe just the forum isn't as active right now as it once was, people maybe have other things to do with their time? I think the solution is for U2 to start making a new album again, then the forum will come alive with the rumors and beach clips and quotes and all that. That was the best.

mkdominatr said:
I think the forum is great and all, but i may have posted only once or twice in a game forum...i just cant see people sitting at th ecomputer posting song names for however long they do when they couldbe doing something productive with their lives. So hopefully people take up on Chizip's thoughts.

ehh, I think it's the other way around really. the heal/hurt game and others are fun when you're bored or don't feel like venturing out into the physical world. anyway, it's not serious, it's all in good fun etc. It's the getting truly upset over a topic that I don't have time for. I don't understand how some people seem to become emotionally distressed over Vertigox2 or, alternately, people being too critical of them. It's just music, it's just an internet forum, no need to lose sleep over it for god's sake!

VertigoGal said:

ehh, I think it's the other way around really. the heal/hurt game and others are fun when you're bored or don't feel like venturing out into the physical world. anyway, it's not serious, it's all in good fun etc. It's the getting truly upset over a topic that I don't have time for. I don't understand how some people seem to become emotionally distressed over Vertigox2 or, alternately, people being too critical of them. It's just music, it's just an internet forum, no need to lose sleep over it for god's sake!

Thats the truth.

miss becky said:

I have to agree with many posters, that EYKIW is a shadow of its former self. When I first registered, there were long threads on all kinds of topics, but gradually that has sort of died out. I think part of that is due to the tour, as other people have said. As for the other reason, I don't know about most people here, but I find it very hard to sustain a high level of interest in anything for a long period of time. My U2-obsession peaked around the time of the concert I attended in May, and since then I have found my interest is being drawn to other bands and events happening in my life. I know from experience that sooner or later my love for the band will kick into high gear again and I will probably spend half my day on Interference. But for now, my interest is just simmering, not boiling, and I spend maybe fifteen a minutes a day here. Could it be that I'm not the only one to feel this way? Maybe we're all just suffering from U2-induced braindrain, and need some time away from the forums. :shrug:

:yes:

I totally agree. I am always obsessed with U2 but that has "simmered" now as you say so I am not on here as much (also because I am busier now). And when I am here, more and more I rarely see any thread that interests me enough to even open, much less post in. Now I know like people have said, you need to start interesting threads yourself. That's just it: Like missbecky said, my interest too is not high now thus I do not have really anything to contribute. I am not thinking about the band that much, lack of time, lack of interest....I am sure I will bounce back soon (maybe closer to my shows in Nov? :hyper: )

U2girl said:
Maybe next time you complain make a single thread instead of additional 3 posts about the same issue in 3 other threads.

No need to post/read if you don't like the threads.

thanks mom.

you've always got all the answers don't you?

boystupidboy said:

Unfortunately that is the way of things around her.Some 'elite' members get to post any old self gratifying ,pretentious bollocks and get away with it whilst having a pop at anyone else who isn't in their little gang.

you of all people should be happy that our good moderators haven't completely grown tired of you, and had you banned already.

you've been here for what, a little more than half a year and you're complaining? get real.

i just cant see people sitting at th ecomputer posting song names for however long they do when they couldbe doing something productive with their lives

... said the poster with over 1,000 posts. Hi, kettle? This is pot - you're black!

Sheesh. We all could be doing something more productive. Unless by posting at Interference, you're creating a cure for cancer.

While yes, it would be great to see more discussion-type threads on Interference, let's not make judgements about people who posts in topics/threads you might not care for.

Last edited:
I'd definitely fall into #3 on the list of groups of people here. I don't really criticize U2 because I don't play an instrument and know next to nothing about the technical aspect of music-the production stuff, the way the band members play their instruments, stuff like that, so I can't criticize them there, and I don't really bother much commenting on Bono's lyrics 'cause I couldn't come up with something half as good as he has, and besides that, so a song doesn't make a lot of sense or has goofy lyrics. So what? I fail to understand how that automatically makes it bad.

No, any songs I don't care for are ones that just don't really grab at me, or are ones that I just have to be in the right mood for, and even then, that's only a small portion of U2's output. I'll state my feelings on it and then move on to discuss something else. I like the majority of their stuff, I can find something good about each album, so therefore, I don't critcize much. And I've learned to just ignore a lot of bashing type threads-let the people speak their minds, I'll just go on to something else, and that's that.

And my stance might also be due somewhat to the fact that a lot of the U2-related craziness that happened last year and early this year occurred when I wasn't here-this fake Edge thing people mention, and the ticket stuff from early this year...wasn't around then for various reasons, so lack of serious criticism from me towards the band or this board may be due some to that as well.

Angela

For the record, to people that criticised my comments, I wasn't name calling, as it was a broad generalisation and is allowed.

I indicated I was calling a small minority douchebags. So obviously that means I called the majority of you non-douchebags. :) On the otherhand, if you wear pink shirt with a popped collar..

And U2man, thanks for the advice, but don't single me out. This thread has become something for everyone to get their greivances about Int. out it would seem, and although mine deviated slightly from the topic, I still feel it was relevant.

I think we should rank this among the top three threads ever posted...

Someone want to throw out some other threads that were in this caliber so we can rank them and then do a survey to see if this is among the top three threads ever? Anyone?

:wink:

najeena said:
How many excellent posters did the board lose because of the Edge debacle last year?

I think quite a few.
And not only did some excellent people leave, but the forum also changed for the ones who stayed here. There's less sense of a community now (overall, in general; I know that there still are sub-groups who have this community feel).
As a result, less people may have the feeling that 'we' are discussing something, but more that 'they' are posting and then reading the replies to those posts. Thus, they may be less willing to spend the time formulating replies in threads that require some more attention. Hence the game threads; they are easy and don't require much effort. Also, this lesser sense of community may result in posts that are less considerate to others, or in quicker taking issue with a post because there's less an idea where the original poster is coming from.

So this might also be a reason why the quality of the forum is falling behind. The question now is if it can become more than just a messageboard again.

C ya!

Marty

Palace_Hero said:
And U2man, thanks for the advice, but don't single me out. This thread has become something for everyone to get their greivances about Int. out it would seem, and although mine deviated slightly from the topic, I still feel it was relevant.
it deviated more than a little from the topic. especially since you posted well after sicy told everyone to STOP posting that they wanted jick back.

Edge incident? And who is Jick what did he do?

So what you are trying to get across here Chizip here is to make threads that will cause discussion? Can I have an example of a thread like that please?

I'd also like to say that there are a lot of people here (me included) who enjoy playing games and making lists. I'm all for more discussion however.

When making lists, I think people should also put down their opinions of songs or something like that.

I made a HTDAAB appreciation thread, but I discussed each thread, got four pages overnight. Is this good?

Sorry to bother, but I'm really supporting this. I want to know what I can do to help this forum become better.

Last edited:
Palace_Hero said:

I indicated I was calling a small minority douchebags. So obviously that means I called the majority of you non-douchebags. :) On the otherhand, if you wear pink shirt with a popped collar..

Pretty sure I apologized about that already.

KhanadaRhodes said:

it deviated more than a little from the topic. especially since you posted well after sicy told everyone to STOP posting that they wanted jick back.

I did make clear the fact that him returning wouldn't work.

And inmyplace, I don't really have a problem with your douchebag somment, neither did Sicy. Hence why I felt comfortable in using the term in a very non-implicating manner. :shrug:

najeena said:
How many excellent posters did the board lose because of the Edge debacle last year?

Ladies and Gentlemen, we now have our next 10-page, intellectual discussion...

I'm a Middle of the Roader, so I don't have too much of a problem with anything. The one thing that does get me is when people who have been here for years who seem to consider themselves very high and mighty, and see people who haven't been here for long to be inferior.
There aren't many, (I won't mention specific people, but you've probably all seen them around) but the ones that do can chase people away who might actually have something interesting to post.

I'm not saying that I have anything particualrly great to say, but I do think that we should be a little more accepting of newer posters.
You don't have to agree with people just because they're a Babyface, just don't hate them because they're not a Rock 'n' Roll Doggie.

MacPhistoPT said:

thanks

Of course I play the hurt heal and the lyrics and the other games only to have more posts!! :hyper: :hyper: I need to have 3000 posts tomorrow and 4000 in a week time because otherwise I'll be fired, I'll lose my house and I will have to live under the bridge.

:coocoo:

i can understand the heal/hurt game, it has competition in it and can potentilally be exciting (?), but not the "name a song that ends with the last letter of my song here".
thats for(excuse me) dumbfucks

really

Cassis said:

i can understand the heal/hurt game, it has competition in it and can potentilally be exciting (?), but not the "name a song that ends with the last letter of my song here".
thats for(excuse me) dumbfucks

really

Oh, okay, I thought you were talking only about the heal/hurt game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom