This forum kind of sucks these days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must agree with you starvinmarvin. I like the 11 U2 albums and almost all their songs, so I usually don't take part in the "bashing threads". Being on the outside, I see that the bashing that the last two albuns receive is ridiculous, compared to the stupidity of the huge :bow: at Pop.

Many times it happens also it Achtung Baby. I love AB, it's my 2nd favourite U2 album but looks like someone that dislikes AB has no taste at all.

As I said I love the 11 albums, so I rarely care about those threads. But I read them and I take my conclusions...

gareth brown said:
also

agreed. if we could have no games, songs of the day, what are you listening to [in which you get a page where one member has just replied a huge WALL of songs at a time] and any other clutter...ANYWHERE, I'd be a lot happier...

i think song of the day if pretty good, it lets people express what they think and it maybe keeps the number of appreciation threads down

MacPhistoPT said:
I must agree with you starvinmarvin. I like the 11 U2 albums and almost all their songs, so I usually don't take part in the "bashing threads". Being on the outside, I see that the bashing that the last two albuns receive is ridiculous, compared to the stupidity of the huge :bow: at Pop.

Many times it happens also it Achtung Baby. I love AB, it's my 2nd favourite U2 album but looks like someone that dislikes AB has no taste at all.

As I said I love the 11 albums, so I rarely care about those threads. But I read them and I take my conclusions...

You are a sensible chap, good words...

Joshua87 said:

Yeah, no shit. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing Hurt/Heal Game 17 Part 2 with 469 posts. Games are a complete waste of time for everyone.

down with postcounts i say

matt76 said:

You are a sensible chap, good words...

thanks

Cassis said:

down with postcounts i say

Of course I play the hurt heal and the lyrics and the other games only to have more posts!! :hyper: :hyper: I need to have 3000 posts tomorrow and 4000 in a week time because otherwise I'll be fired, I'll lose my house and I will have to live under the bridge.

:coocoo:

I think that the majority of people who praise Pop (while bashing the last 2 albums) are reactionary. Remember when Achtung baby came out, and fans of the Joshue Tree jumped ship because they wanted more of the same? Well, some 90's fans are angry because U2 is no longer going the electronica-hip/ironic route. It is the same thing. It is just a reaction against change. Nothing more, nothing less.

What ATYCLB bashers need to remember is that U2 needs to keep on eveolving if they are to continue as a band. In the late 1980's, people started to get tired of U2 being "humourless political crusaders." U2 needed to change, and they knew it. They almost disbanded, but then a simple song came along and saved the day. That song was "One," and it signalled a change in direction. Throughout the early 90's U2 took rock music to previously uncharted waters. They were innovators, and fans respected their musical bravery. However, by the late 1980's the whole "ironic/electronic" thing was starting to wear thin, just as the earnest idealist schtick of the late 1980's got a tad dull. Then came along ANOTHER simple new song that saved the band's career. That song was Beautiful Day. Like it or lump it, the song has made the last 2 tours possible, and has rekindled the band's love of music. I'm sure that in a few yrears the band will start experimenting again, but rest assured it won't be in the same vein as Pop, or ATYCLB, or even HTDAAAB. It will be new, and I will be ready for it.

starvinmarvin said:
I think that the majority of people who praise Pop (while bashing the last 2 albums) are reactionary. Remember when Achtung baby came out, and fans of the Joshue Tree jumped ship because they wanted more of the same? Well, some 90's fans are angry because U2 is no longer going the electronica-hip/ironic route. It is the same thing. It is just a reaction against change. Nothing more, nothing less.

What ATYCLB bashers need to remember is that U2 needs to keep on eveolving if they are to continue as a band. In the late 1980's, people started to get tired of U2 being "humourless political crusaders." U2 needed to change, and they knew it. They almost disbanded, but then a simple song came along and saved the day. That song was "One," and it signalled a change in direction. Throughout the early 90's U2 took rock music to previously uncharted waters. They were innovators, and fans respected their musical bravery. However, by the late 1980's the whole "ironic/electronic" thing was starting to wear thin, just as the earnest idealist schtick of the late 1980's got a tad dull. Then came along ANOTHER simple new song that saved the band's career. That song was Beautiful Day. Like it or lump it, the song has made the last 2 tours possible, and has rekindled the band's love of music. I'm sure that in a few yrears the band will start experimenting again, but rest assured it won't be in the same vein as Pop, or ATYCLB, or even HTDAAAB. It will be new, and I will be ready for it.

You gained my respect. :laugh: I disliked some of your points in the Mofo thread but okay, it's each one's opinions.

This post is really well written and totally true. :up:

I will surely like the next phase, when they move on again. But then will be people remembering the greatness of ATYCLB and HTDAAB :laugh:

starvinmarvin said:

There is a double standard going on as well. I mean, I could start a thread called "Pop is not a masterpiece," and I would get flamed, given a stern warning from a forum moderator, and the thread would be closed within a few hours. A few hours later somebody starts up a thread entitled "All That You Can Leave Behind should be beaten, shot, and dismemebered," and everything would be hunky dory. What I'm trying to say is that some critical comments are viewed at this particular forum as being offensive, while others are OK, because they conform to certain people's views.

Um, we don't go around closing threads or warning members based on our personal feelings about different albums. We warn members or closed threads based on things in the FAQ/rules section: personal attacks/language, namecalling, trolling and picking fights, etc. Sorry but those things aren't allowed here, it doesn't matter what album is being discussed or which one most people like better.

If what you said was true I'd probably be closing a lot more ATYCLB bashing threads, I don't get into endless arguments about it but believe me I'm no Pop defender. ;) Here is a current "Pop bashing" thread that is still open and doing fine, people are being relatively civil. And in that Mofo thread you've been posting in, there is "bashing" but it's a pretty civil discussion now. Now let's look at your last Pop thread that was closed here. You put "poop" in the title, referred to "the stupidity" of Pop fans on the forums, and you state that you "enjoy the reactions of Poop lovers" on the forum. I'm not sure what kind of reactions you expected?? If you want to "bash" an album, do it without the name-calling and without saying you're trying to get a rise out of other members, that's trolling and yes, it will get you warnings and closures. This is all in the FAQ....not that anyone reads it.

neutral said:

Um, we don't go around closing threads or warning members based on our personal feelings about different albums. We warn members or closed threads based on things in the FAQ/rules section: personal attacks/language, namecalling, trolling and picking fights, etc. Sorry but those things aren't allowed here, it doesn't matter what album is being discussed or which one most people like better.

If what you said was true I'd probably be closing a lot more ATYCLB bashing threads, I don't get into endless arguments about it but believe me I'm no Pop defender. ;) Here is a current "Pop bashing" thread that is still open and doing fine, people are being relatively civil. And in that Mofo thread you've been posting in, there is "bashing" but it's a pretty civil discussion now. Now let's look at your last Pop thread that was closed here. You put "poop" in the title, referred to "the stupidity" of Pop fans on the forums, and you state that you "enjoy the reactions of Poop lovers" on the forum. I'm not sure what kind of reactions you expected?? If you want to "bash" an album, do it without the name-calling and without saying you're trying to get a rise out of other members, that's trolling and yes, it will get you warnings and closures. This is all in the FAQ....not that anyone reads it.

You are right...I went too far on that particular thread...I was just frustrated at getting flamed by certain people for my criticisms of Pop, which until that point were not offensive in any way (although I was still attacked for them). Also, those comments about forum moderators were not directed towards you. Of all the moderators, I have the most respect for you. You are fair, and seem to know the right time to step in and "moderate" when it is needed.

I think Jick should be allowed back but I understand it wont happen nor would it work, as people here are too uptight to accept him.

Seriously, if the fucking PC brigade would chill out for 15 minutes, Int. would be the best place on the internet. Unfortunately there is sickly minority of these douchebags that ruin it because they have no sense of humour, tolerance and sense of humour (yes I meant that twice). Freedom of speech. Not at Interference. That isn't the mod's faults, it is the people that hassle them into having to keep up such rigid boundaries. I found that out and just to stay here I've had to comprimise.

Yes this forum kind of sucks these days and its not just EYKIW.

Palace_Hero said:
I think Jick should be allowed back but I understand it wont happen nor would it work, as people here are too uptight to accept him.

Seriously, if the fucking PC brigade would chill out for 15 minutes, Int. would be the best place on the internet. Unfortunately there is sickly minority of these douchebags that ruin it because they have no sense of humour, tolerance and sense of humour (yes I meant that twice). Freedom of speech. Not at Interference. That isn't the mod's faults, it is the people that hassle them into having to keep up such rigid boundaries. I found that out and just to stay here I've had to comprimise.

uptight? you're the one calling people douchebags and getting worked up;l besides you're just pissed that you were banned at one time.

Palace I dont suppose there is any way you could express your feelings without name calling? No, I guess not because then that would require you to act like an adult.

Palace_Hero said:

You're right about the lack of sense of humour here. The responses to your comments thus far have proven your point.

I have noticed that it's hard to have discussions about anything around here these days because sometimes posters take a critique of their opinion as a critique of their person, causing them to respond with a personal attack to which another personal attack is sent back, and back and forth and so on, and then the thread is closed. It would benefit the whole of Interference (mods included) if we could all separate ourselves from our opinions and lighten up enough to have really great discussions without it devolving into name-calling and bickering.

starvinmarvin said:

You are right...I went too far on that particular thread...I was just frustrated at getting flamed by certain people for my criticisms of Pop, which until that point were not offensive in any way (although I was still attacked for them). Also, those comments about forum moderators were not directed towards you. Of all the moderators, I have the most respect for you. You are fair, and seem to know the right time to step in and "moderate" when it is needed.

Yeah I know it can get frustrating to see something that means so much to many of us get bashed/flamed the way things will be on here. Sometimes I really have to just step away from the computer for a bit before I say something I'll regret lol.

And thank you for the compliment, I try, we all do, it's just not easy to try to keep everyone happy.

dsmith2904 said:
I have noticed that it's hard to have discussions about anything around here these days because sometimes posters take a critique of their opinion as a critique of their person, causing them to respond with a personal attack to which another personal attack is sent back, and back and forth and so on, and then the thread is closed. It would benefit the whole of Interference (mods included) if we could all separate ourselves from our opinions and lighten up enough to have really great discussions without it devolving into name-calling and bickering.

Spot fucking on. My kindred spirit.

Palace_Hero said:

First of all, stop the name calling if you know what's good for you.

Secondly, what you are describing here has nothing to do with what Chizip said initially. Don't jump to his conclusion on the wrong premises.

Geez, Cheezwhip, always complaining aren't 'cha?:wink:

Here's what I think the problem is...
This forum was more "alive", so to speak, before the tour started. After the tour started, most of the discussion turned to current events with the band which consist mainly of tour related subjects, hence, the tour forum is a tad bit more lively than the general discussion forum.

Now, if people want better discussions than ranking albums, perhaps people need to start making threads with better discussion topics, no?

And, yeah, there do seem to be a few people who don't know how to carry on a normal discussion without turning it into some sort of fight...

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I disagree. I've had many thread-provoking ideas that I've just never bothered to post b/c I knew people would only look at the games and anything resembling actual discussion would fall off the page in a matter of minutes.

Then you are part of the problem you complain about. If you aren't willing to post something interesting, why the hell do you think anyone else will be?

If you have something interesting to post then post the damned thing -- it would pop the thread right back to the top of the page. And then someone else who had an urge to post something "intellectual" would be so moved by it he or she would post.

So many people complain that the threads aren't interesting, but they only complain about what others post, they don't start the type of threads they say they want. If you want discussion threads, start them and then keep going back to keep the discussion going.

Last edited:
This is why we have good ole F-Y-M!!!!!!

Rarely will you find total BS threads in there that don't start a discussion.

Sicy said:
Palace I dont suppose there is any way you could express your feelings without name calling? No, I guess not because then that would require you to act like an adult.

:bow:

MacPhistoPT said:

Agree with this. I'm all for people talking about why some album may not be their personal favorite, but seriously...why the constant bashing from some about the last couple of albums? We get it, some people here aren't fond of the last two albums. Do we need to bash them ad nauseum as a result?

Note, however, that I'm not saying people can't go ahead and continue to express their feelings about them. I'm just curious as to why it's done so frequently, is all.

starvinmarvin said:

:up:. Interesting point to make. Agreed.

However, while I agree with the two above posts and have stated my own feelings, at the same time, I must say that I agree with this as well:

indra said:
If you have something interesting to post then post the damned thing -- it would pop the thread right back to the top of the page. And then someone else who had an urge to post something "intellectual" would be so moved by it he or she would post.

So many people complain that the threads aren't interesting, but they only complain about what others post, they don't start the type of threads they say they want. If you want discussion threads, start them and then keep going back to keep the discussion going.

:up:. So I'm kind of on both sides of this issue, I can see where both parties are coming from.

Angela

indra said:

Then you are part of the problem you complain about. If you aren't willing to post something interesting, why the hell do you think anyone else will be?

I'm not complaining, just saying. I don't spend near as much time in this forum as I used to anyway. Regardless of what would or wouldn't be posted without them, the game threads are kinda old. It was fun the first time around, but now it's just kinda boring. That's really all I meant.

I think one reason for the lack of discussion is ironically b/c the band is on tour. The tour has all of it's own forums w/ plenty of discussion in there. The album has it's own forum as well. Since they're on tour, they're not performing at award shows or doing as many other appearances here or there that we'd typical post about in here.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I'm not complaining, just saying. I don't spend near as much time in this forum as I used to anyway. Regardless of what would or wouldn't be posted without them, the game threads are kinda old. It was fun the first time around, but now it's just kinda boring. That's really all I meant.

One more reason to create a sub-area to the games. You are bored, you have the right to but many people aren't. And I play all the games and that doesn't mean that I don't like to make a good reply to a interesting and discussing thread.

gareth brown said:
Hang on, I posted one of these threads which supposedly has 'thought' in it. I wanted people to say why they re-arranged album tracklistings and all I got was lists with NO explanation at all...!

I am making an effort and for some reason MY thread goes down the pan while other threads THRIVE and are full of lists or some other crap.

I don't get what was so bad about my thread that it didn't get the attention it quite frankly DESERVED over half of them here in EYKIW...what, U2's albums all suddenly became perfect to people here?!

I hear them moan all the time and when I say 'fine, do it your way'...what do I get? Nothing. If some high and mighty member here had posted it I'm sure it would have flourished...:angry:

I get what you're saying, but I've had people say they (not just this board mind you), don't like reading long posts/essays.

I have posted some, well, interesting to me, things, like Adam's improvement on his bass playing, which didn't get much response. I guess I should have asked it in the musicians forum, but then, I don't know much about bass playing to really get too deep on that.

Then again, Adam isn't the frontman or lead guitarist (except on "40."), some people don't even like him, so I guess I can't be too surprised by a lack of discussion about him.

(Which is why I'm much more active member of U2.com. I've found my fellow Adam fans there).

++++++++

I don't quite get the appreciation threads either, I mean, is it really necessary to say the word "appreciation" in the title?

If you like something, and post about it, there must be some appreciation for it.

There seem to be 4 different categories of people who frequent this board:

1) The trolls. There are a small number of trollers who post only to get a rise out of poeple. They are sometimes entertaining, but sometimes cross the line between fun and stupidity.

2) Devil's Advocates. These people tend to start up interesting threads, and often post criticisms of U2 that are thought provoking and original. They love U2, but hold the band to a high standard, and aren't reluctant to criticise when the band falters.

3) Middle Of The Road U2 fans. These posters tend to like most everything the band does, and don't hold particularly strong views on much of anything. They go with the flow, and are careful not to offend anyone.

4) Thin Skinned Weasels. This small minority of fans take all criticisms of the band personally, and often fall into the traps set by trolls. They particularly hate the Devil's Advocates, and respond to criticisms of aspects of U2's career by ganging up on dissenters. They turn discussions into personal attacks, and display an alarming lack of humour. They don't know when to laugh it off, and just don't quit. They also are convinced they know the truth. They will complain to moderators about everything, and often get the most interesting threads closed down. They pose a bigger problem to this forum than any other group, trolls included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom